The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

Finding out I have *another* incurable' date=' chronic health condition is more than my already brittle emotional stability could stand.[/quote']

Thinking about it more, odds are very (LAYMAN SPEAKING) good it has to do with either your pre-existing condition or depression.

Both suck, of course.

My dad, his brother, and his sister all have Raynaud's disease, and I think all three also have some level of "Essential Tremor."

I hope the genes on my Mom's side will prevent those problems, but...:help:

Like I don't have enough anxiety problems.

Raynaud's is mostly an annoyance, but my dad ended up having an implant to do deep brain stimulation to counter the Tremor. His speech is slurred now, but at least he can work and have some fun. Before the implant he couldn't do much of anything. He couldn't even read his own writing.

Now I have ALWAYS tended towards that latter problem...:o

My Mom slipped on some ice and broke her arm today. It must have hurt like hell when I pulled her back to her feet by her hands. She has a sore leg, but no hip or leg fracture, thank God. My Parents are stiff-upper-lip people and unlikely to ask for or accept my help. This bothers my Brother too as they never ask him for help either. My Brother thinks I should insist but I feel I must let them make their own choices. It would be an insult to them if I ignored their wishes. They are still mentally sharp as tacks and would not take kindly to high-handedness.

So I'll just stay in touch by phone and keep asking if there's anything I can do.

Yow' date=' how was it ever 6.5? I bailed on Citibank forever back in 1989, when it was 21.5%....[/quote']

They really wanted me to use their cards a few years ago, and set my rate to something like prime + 6%. At the time, that put the rate at around 11%, but with all of the rate cuts....

They also made me an offer that I couldn't refuse (twice) on balance transfers for a different card. It's 4.99% fixed until the balances are paid off. Normal interest rate on that card is 19.99%, but as the only balance that is carried is this balance transfer, I never pay that.

BofA had been at 9.99% fixed, but then raised my rate to 19.99%. I called them, asking for a better rate, saying that I had an offer for 4.99% fixed from Citi, and they literally told me that "you have to do what you have to do". That was the second transfer. Their card is now paid in full at the end of the month, and they have not received another penny in interest in a year and a half.

My plan is to pay off each card, and treat it in exactly the same way as the BofA card--as a convenience for me, but paid in full each month. It's going to take time to fully implement the plan, but once it's done, I know that I'll be a lot happier.

As it is, I can see exactly how CitiBank and BofA got into so much trouble. Between the two of them, I have more open (unused) credit than my original yearly salary as a manager at Circuit City in 1998. For a while, both companies seemed to be in a race to extend my credit, without my asking. It's leveled off, though the last automatic increase was only about 4 months ago.

JoeG

My Mom slipped on some ice and broke her arm today. It must have hurt like hell when I pulled her back to her feet by her hands. She has a sore leg, but no hip or leg fracture, thank God. My Parents are stiff-upper-lip people and unlikely to ask for or accept my help. This bothers my Brother too as they never ask him for help either. My Brother thinks I should insist but I feel I must let them make their own choices. It would be an insult to them if I ignored their wishes. They are still mentally sharp as tacks and would not take kindly to high-handedness.

So I'll just stay in touch by phone and keep asking if there's anything I can do.

Best wishes for your mom's speedy recovery.

I hate people who think they're entitled to adopt a cat and declaw it, because they have donated money in the past. Sorry, we don't allow declaw.

That and the most passive aggressive email I have ever seen came from them, which makes me more pissed off.

Declawing is really too nice a term for the abominable procedure of amputating a bone off of each toe. That it's also totally unnecessary if you provide your cat with their own scratching area, and train appropriately.

We've owned declawed cats in the past, and my Mom has one now. In each case, the declawing was done by someone else before the cat joined the household. In one of the cases, the declawing was done so badly that the cat would frequently jump back from the pain when walking. She also had difficulty defending herself from our other (non-declawed) cat.

JoeG

Well, this turned into an unexpectedly rotten day. I finally get home, after a long day at work, only to find that I can't GET home because there are 7 -- count them, 7 -- fire engines & swarms of police cars, etc. blocking off my street and my apartment building because there's been a fire. After a bit more than an hour of waiting, I finally get in... the fire was in the apartment above mine.

It stinks. I have a rotten headache from the fumes. And I've got water coming through the ceiling in various places because, of course, they had to douse the place above to kill the flames.

It could be worse... it could have been my place that had the fire. But right now, I'm having flashbacks to a couple of years ago when I got flooded out from above, in the neighboring building, and had to move to this building... and how many books, collectible cards, etc. I lost to water.

It's going to be a long night... :(

Well, this turned into an unexpectedly rotten day. I finally get home, after a long day at work, only to find that I can't GET home because there are 7 -- count them, 7 -- fire engines & swarms of police cars, etc. blocking off my street and my apartment building because there's been a fire. After a bit more than an hour of waiting, I finally get in... the fire was in the apartment above mine.

It stinks. I have a rotten headache from the fumes. And I've got water coming through the ceiling in various places because, of course, they had to douse the place above to kill the flames.

It could be worse... it could have been my place that had the fire. But right now, I'm having flashbacks to a couple of years ago when I got flooded out from above, in the neighboring building, and had to move to this building... and how many books, collectible cards, etc. I lost to water.

My sympathies

I actually was in a house fire once (obviously I got out with little trouble) and watched the place I lived go up. Thank god for family and friends.

Sorry to hear that, Dr. A, I hope that everything works out okay. I went through a flood situation in '99 (one of the notorious 100 year floods that go through Vegas occasionally), so I can sympathize about water damage.

JoeG

Urge to kill self ... RISING. I have no idea why' date=' but I am, once again, descending into a rather deep emo-funk. I am entertaining serious thought of resuming my cutting.[/quote']

That's serious; and I'm not joking.

Is there anything that we can do, long-distance, to help? If not, is there anyplace you can go locally for help?

Thanks for the well-wishes, guys; though I stayed home from work today to deal with stuff, the morning makes it look brighter, not worse, to my surprise. This is a big hassle, but in the long run I'll be fine. Incidentally, the fire was started by a kid playing with a lighter. Nobody got hurt in the fire (thankfully!) but the apartment above me is a complete loss. The manager and maintenance came through this morning to take pictures of the damage done to MY apartment by the water, and to tell me they'll schedule some time for repairs as soon as possible.

Hermit, I've never been in that situation, and never lost everything in a place I lived, though I've come close. You have my sympathies, and I am very glad, on this new day, the damage to my place was not worse than it is.

Yes, something to be thankful for... trying to focus on the positive here. ;)