The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

The lectures were (1) a pinch-lecture in 101; 10-minute passing period; lecture in first section of 106; 25-minute gap when I stuff down lunch; lecture in second section of 106; 25-minute gap; then lab starts and is still ongoing as I type.

Moving sucks. Winter sucks. Moving during the winter REALLY sucks!!!

I've got a back-ache, a sore throat, a migraine and worst of all, I'm sober. Fortunately, I've got this ice-cold bottle of Jager which is going to cure all of the above....

:drink::drink::drink: <--- I think that's me in the middle. Not sure tho.

Don't look at me,

Xaver Onassiss

So we have electronic ordering. Laser scanning a shelf ticket generates an electronic file that we can send to our warehouse, where it generates a pick list. Since we bought the basic software in 1989(!), it's probably the electronic equivalent of a Rube Goldberg device by now, but it does work.

Until now. Some kind of filter, that only kicks in for our store (out of 1500 chain-wided), marks about 200 items in one department as un-orderable.

We know what we want. The warehouse knows what we want. We're supposed to have it. We get penalised if we are out of stock on them. Nevertheless, the warehouse can't just pick them and send them out to us. Even if everyone else gets them.

This has been going on for over a week now. What the heck?

Last week I read the Graphic novels for "Wanted" and Gaiman's "Eternals".

"Wanted" was depressing, sick, nihilistic, twisted, but... I can let it slide, I guess.

"Eternals" was less depressing, but I can't get one damned scene (on the train) at the end out of my HEAD! Damnit, I don't need that, I am having enough trouble sleeping lately!

It has been time for something new for years now. I just haven't had any luck finding it. Still' date=' I may just give them my two weeks notice by the end of the week.[/quote']

I strongly recommend against doing so until you've found another source of income. As much as your job must suck, having no job for an extended period of time is sure to suck worse.

for my own cranky, my cat Pharaoh is very susceptible to dry skin during the winter; he's managed to lick the area around his tail completely clean of fur, and rubbed it raw and bloody, in an attempt to stop it from itching. We've had to put a veterinary balm on his butt (well, extreme lower back, above the tail, not below it), and given him one of those plastic protective collars so he can't lick himself anymore.

I must admit, though, it's funny as hell watching him walking backwards in an attempt to back out of the collar.

It shouldn't be too serious of an issue' date=' but thank you. He gets this awful dry skin every winter and nothing seems to help with it ... hopefully, this balm stuff will.[/quote']

A little Fish Oil can help in their diet. EFA is another though I don't remember the brand we used. I'll try to find out what else we've used with cats and dry skin.

Stress!!!

So in the middle of November, I'm advised that I'll be taking a business trip the last weekend of January to help with an office switchover. They are changing contracts, and a lot of things at the offices need to be redone. My task - all the PC need to be re-imaged. Since there are over 100 units, and the work all has be be done in a single weekend, the work must be done on-site. A much smaller office in a different part of the country is doing the same thing, but for them, they wanted us to image new hard drives sent to us at HQ so they can just slave the old ones to make data migration easier.

Of course, in order for me to build the images, I need to know what software they need in each office. After 2 conference calls and countless e-mails back and fourth, we finally get something resembling an idea of what they need... near the end of December. Then, there is the issue of actually getting the software so I can install it. That starts trickling in about two weeks ago. The is one piece of software that is utterly critical for both offices to have, so it needs to go on all the images. Naturally, this software is the one they have the most trouble getting. But I cannot build the images without it, so weeks and weeks of prep time and testing have been lost. As of two days ago, we still did not have it. So, I tell the project managers that I am officially out of time. I need to get the images built and tested now, so if I do not have this stuff in my hands ASAP, they are simply going to have to install this missing program on each and every individual machine after they finally get it.

That is when the other office, the one we are just sending the hard drives to, tells me that this "critical" piece of software isn't needed - they just needed it for five of their machines, so I don't need to wait.

Jesus Christmas, guys! I'd only been telling you for weeks that we were running out of time on this, and you wait to tell me this little tidbit just one week before I'm scheduled to travel to the job site?? Oh yeah, then they tell me the need 5 hard drives with the new image sent to them ASAP for testing before the migration. Again, nice bombshell to drop on me at the last frickin' minute! And I could have had test drives ready for them weeks ago had I known the "not-truly-critical" software package was optional.

And then, after I get in an hour early and bust my butt all morning to get them ready, I am advised that "Um, the version of MS Office you put on them isn't right for this office. We need a different one."

Have you ever heard, "That man is so incompetent, he couldn't find his @$$ with both hands if it was on fire,"? Only it isn't just one such person, but a whole squadron of them. Remember, it took them more than a month to get a consensus for what the software requirements were - and even longer to get it all.

So, now I not only get to rebuild the image, but re-load it on the hard drives. Did I mention that we only have 2 PCs available as host machines? And that each 5GB image takes 30 minutes to load? Even on an isolated network? Yeah, the gear we have is good, but the PCs we're re-imaging are old, so the process is only as fast as their built-in LAN cards - which aren't. And even now that I got those 5 drives out the door, there are still 30 more that need to be imaged in just 4 business days. And in the middle of all that, I have to build and test the image for the office I'm actually traveling to... which will tie up one of the 2 PCs we have available for loading and testing.

And just today... today... one of these boobs asks, "Oh, by the way, do you all need a place to stay while you're out here? We can recommend a few hotels." Sorry, but not being the sort of complete and total idiots who wait until the last-minute to even think of things like this, those of us in my office who are traveling had all of that set up two weeks ago. Or did you fail to notice that our travel plans and expenses had already been approved and signed off on by the project managers?

I foresee more long days and nights ahead of me to get this done.

And then, we get to go to the job sites to actually do the work. In a single weekend. And if something goes horribly wrong, my company will get hit with penalties from the new client for every day we are out of compliance on the contract.

Amazingly, I'm not cranky... but I am seriously stressed.

gah!

Re: Stress!!!

So in the middle of November' date=' I'm advised that I'll be taking a business trip the last weekend of January to help with an office switchover. They are changing contracts, and a lot of things at the offices need to be redone. My task - all the PC need to be re-imaged. Since there are over 100 units, and the work all has be be done in a single weekend, the work must be done on-site. A much smaller office in a different part of the country is doing the same thing, but for them, they wanted us to image new hard drives sent to us at HQ so they can just slave the old ones to make data migration easier.[/quote']

I never did understand how people could manage hundreds of individual PCs. Were this a virtualized environment, you could have developed a master VM on site and cloned it 99 times in a few minutes. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be all that much more expensive than 100 separate machines, especially if you factor in the admin costs. It's not perfect, but it beats flying cross-country to pull an all-nighter running upgrades.

Re: Stress!!!

I never did understand how people could manage hundreds of individual PCs. Were this a virtualized environment' date=' you could have developed a master VM on site and cloned it 99 times in a few minutes. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be all that much more expensive than 100 separate machines, especially if you factor in the admin costs. It's not perfect, but it beats flying cross-country to pull an all-nighter running upgrades.[/quote']

Some of our higher-ups have been looking into virtual environments for a while, now, for this very reason. Not sure what we haven't, though - I'm not privy to those meetings.

As for flying cross-country... I only have to drive 6.5 hours - which I'd rather do than fly there any day of the week. In fact, I asked for a rental car, not a plane ticket.

I strongly recommend against doing so until you've found another source of income. As much as your job must suck' date=' having no job for an extended period of time is sure to suck worse.[/quote']

Having been unemployed before, I know firsthand how much it sucks. But right now it seems like an attractive alternative to staying in that s***hole. I can't make a decent wage there anyway. I may as well not have to put up with all the BS.

Edit: Then again, maybe I'll just stick around long enough until it's the worst time for them to lose a worker.