The cranky thread

Hermit

Re: The cranky thread

I'm not even working retail this year, and I'm still getting yelled at for saying 'Happy Holidays' instead of 'Merry Christmas'.

Bah, humbug.

Yelling back works for me.

I like the fact that 'Happy Holidays' covers every denomination, plus New Years' Eve/Day. I tried 'Happy RamaHanuKwanzaMas' but somebody told me it discriminated against Pagans 'cuz I'd forgotten the Solstice. What am I gonna do?

Don't look at me,

Xavier Onassiss

I'm usually the stay-at-home kind. I hardly ever go out. Why is it whenever I do go out for a bit, there's always some BS at home that has to ruin my whole evening? It's one thing if it's an emergency, but if people are just being stupid, that's another. Seriously, WTF?

I woke up because I was cold.

I can't go back to sleep because my back hurts.

There is something wrong with my furnace, I don't know what, and neither do the technicians I've paid an aggregate of close to a thousand dollars to fix it. The pilot light keeps going out. Not dangerous, safety cutoffs engage and gas is not escaping into the house, just the minor inconvenience of having to light the thing again. Sometimes several times a night. And the fact that I'm more vulnerable to the cold than anyone else in the house, three blankets on my bed, one on everyone else's, means I'm the one who has to relight the thing.

Lit it on Christmas eve, it worked for two days. A Christmas and Festivus miracle! Had to relight it half past midnight on the 27th.

It's been checked out by technicians from three different repair companies, unanimous opinion: it shouldn't be doing that. Budgeting for a new furnace with an electronic pilot by next winter.

And it would be different if I could just get up, light the thing, and go back to sleep. But my back is hurting. Got an inversion system for Christmas, one of those tables that grabs onto your ankles and allows you to hang upside down. The idea is to decompress an arthritic area in my lumbar spine. Been using it just over a week and my back hurts. Doctor says this is a good sign, nerves were so impinged as to be numb, now they are waking up, the pain is a sign of healing. Be that as it may, I'm firewalling the recommended daily dose of ibuprofen.

Just cranky!

I've given blood dozens of times over the years (Type A-), so when I signed up to do it again yesterday, I thought nothing of it. Only hours before I am to be on the table, a co-worker of mine starts going on about why she can't donate. It seems she has pale skin and poor veins, and the last time they tried to take blood from her inner elbow, they nicked veins and she had all kinds of internal bleeding. My guess is that The Universe took this as a dare. Because when I went to give, there were... complications... towards the end. I was almost done, but then the flow started to slow down. The worker who was working on me then proceeds to massage my arm to stimulate the blood flow. Now my medical training ended with my First Aid merit badge in Boy Scouts, but *I* have the feeling that massaging flesh and muscles around the point where someone has a needle still inside of them is not a good idea. Then they called over some other folks and tried to re-position the needle. That moved my condition from "extreme discomfort" to "Pain! Pain! Pain!" I told them stop and remove the needle right then and there. They asked if there was any way I could continue, since I was so close to being done. I said. "No! This hurts! I'm in pain! Get it out of me now!"

I tried going back to work, but I was still light-headed, and my arm hurt in places where the needle was not. I went home early, and was pretty worn out for the rest of the night (and on a date-night no less!) And this morning, I felt better, but still a far cry from 100%, so I called in sick.

In over 20 years of giving blood and having blood tests done, I've never had anything like this happen before.

ouch

Ouch. I grew up with my mom always drawing my blood (med tech) and so I never had a problem. Plus the fact I have good veins. First time I went to give blood which was in college, the tech slipped when taking the needle out and it didn't do good things. Bruising around my arm for a couple weeks all the way thru and hurt a lot. Thankfully, I've never since had a bad experience.

I think the massaging shouldn't of been bad if done correctly. Doesn't sound like it was.

Which reminds me, I need to go give blood again. (Also A-)

My wife donates as well, and she's O- and apparently her blood is missing some antibody so it makes it even better. She has thin veins and they roll, they always have to get someone with a bit higher of a skill.

I almost had my four gallon pin. Then I got upset at someone at the site and my pulse shot way up and I was unable to donate. Now every time I try my pulse and blood pressure shoot up and I can't. It's a conditioned reflex. I must've tried at least 25 times and they said no. So I just stopped trying. I felt like everyone was staring. It was very embarrassing.

I felt like everyone was staring.

I recently read a study in which they took a bunch of college students, put them into really goofy, ridiculous t-shirts, and sent them to a party of their peers. Fully 80% of the people in the study were embarrassed by their silly t-shirts, but it turns out that less than 10% of the people at the party actually registered/remembered the t-shirt when asked about it.

I'm almost never embarrassed. Turns out, that's the right thing. "Sing like no one can hear you, dance like no one is watching." ;)

When I grow up, I want to sit in an office and listen to people complain. To shake things up, maybe they can call me, and I can listen to them complain over the phone, while I read emails of people complaining. And on mondays I want to spend at least half the day going over timesheets.