Anime based games, have you done one?

animemun001

Re: Anime based games, have you done one?

Alright guys and gals. heres another of my odd ball questions. Did you ever run an Anime game or play in one. if so What was the general idea of the game?

Anime-ish games I've been in:

Macross and Fist of the Northstar were campaigns loosely based. Two completely different GMs with different styles. Both games were fun. Though a lot of other games had anime references. Sam Bell's "Annoy the Players" games had a majority of anime based player characters.

Though I don't think we ever went pure anime or anything else for that matter. Mix'n'match has always been my motto.

I didn't run it, but there was this Star Hero campaign run by Doug Garrett that was inspired by BubbleGum Crisis. (the original one) It was a whole lotta fun and we hit highs that have proven difficult to approach, let alone surpass.

Guest Major Tom

I've mentioned this in a couple of threads here in the past, but I've been in

two anime-based campaigns in the past. The first was set in the Aura Battler

Dunbine universe, and the second was based on the Saint Seiya

anime series (a.k.a. Knights of the Zodiac; my character was Bronze

Saint Thunderbird, and the others in the PC group were Inari, Naga and Sea-

hawk). Both were fairly short campaigns, but they were fun while they lasted.

Major Tom :cool:

I played in a short-lived Anime High School game back in college. My PC was Breeze, the son of the North Wind (an exchange student, of course). Martial arts and some minor wind powers. It was fun, but the GM couldn't sustain it for more than a few sessions.

My wife is running a solo game for me (we do that all the time) as a translational fantasy, with my character coming from a cyberpunk world. The world he landed in has a feel not unlike Saiyuki or parts of Yu Yu Hakusho (mostly for the stuff about chi and the way "demons" and humans interact). He's found a magical mecha (shades of Escaflone). After finding himself a mid/high noble he recruited himself some pages/squires and the personalities there are based on the pilots from Gundam. So she has been using the anime she has been watching to save brainwork for NPCs and structure. I haven't seen a lot of the anime, so to me it is new. But mentally when I "see" everyone I don't see anime style, even if she does.

Never GMed one. Never watched an anime until my wife had me watch Yu Yu Hakusho and Weiss Kruess a couple of years ago.

Alright guys and gals. heres another of my odd ball questions. Did you ever run an Anime game or play in one. if so What was the general idea of the game?

Where do I start?

How about here:

http://surbrook.devermore.net/kazei5/kazei5.html

http://surbrook.devermore.net/pdepartment/pdepartment.html

http://surbrook.devermore.net/smz/silentmobius.html

and

http://k5pbem.devermore.net/k5PBEM.html

Although I haven't watched a ton of anime (my favourite is Cowboy Bebop), I'm trying to run my current campaign with an anime feel to it, mostly focussing on big action and character interaction (which I feel is the big thing that anime does really well compared to western animated stuff).

I like the anime pacing of the action, with an emphasis on "big actions lead to big explosions" and cool-looking NPC's occupying the universe. For example, in our most recent episode the Misfits (the name of the group) did a prisoner transfer to a paranormal detention centre and then had to face a horde of clockwork crabs. Great visuals!

For about 2 1/2 years, I GM'd a Sailor Moon campaign, integrated into the Champions world. The SM events were secret for the most part: the world in general had no idea what was going on. The game started from their humble beginnings with the girls meeting each other. It went through the entire first series more or less, the Doom Tree saga, SMR and ended in the middle of SMS. Still, it was a blast.

For about 2 1/2 years' date=' I GM'd a Sailor Moon campaign, integrated into the Champions world. The SM events were secret for the most part: the world in general had no idea what was going on. The game started from their humble beginnings with the girls meeting each other. It went through the entire first series more or less, the Doom Tree saga, SMR and ended in the middle of SMS. Still, it was a blast.[/quote']you did a champions version of Sailormoon? 0.0 thats impressive.

you did a champions version of Sailormoon? 0.0 thats impressive.

I still have their statistics if interested. However, I won't be replying for at least a couple weeks. Moving to a new place does that.

I still have their statistics if interested. However' date=' I won't be replying for at least a couple weeks. Moving to a new place does that.[/quote']sure I could use the stats to compare with other characters in my group playing 'magical girls'

sure I could use the stats to compare with other characters in my group playing 'magical girls'

Which reminds me, how does anyone's group get around Insta Change? The Transformation version just will not work for Lady Heart (using Tansformation will only make him a guy in a pritty dress with magical girl type superpowers). I'm using Shape Change for him/her (with all the bells and whistels of the MG style), and say that his/her clothing changes when s/he changes.

So don't bug him about that short firlly white dress with small red 'herats' floating around it in a patern. Not unless you want some heart shaped magical blast in your face ("love energy" my arsh).

I'm currently running an anime-esque campaign. If any of you have seen Tenjou Tenge, it's like that, but in the future. With magic. Hooray for genre-bending. Basically, in Tenjou Tenge, there's a high school... but not just any high school. It's Todou Gakuen, the school for the revival of the martial arts. So all the students are powerful martial artists, especially the upperclassmen, especially the main characters. They may or may not have bizarre/superhuman powers, and they are most likely insane.

It's kinda like that in my campaign. One PC's a cybercriminal, one's a vampire, and one's an over-sized robotic life-form.

As for other genres, I'd be willing to do a super-sentai/magical person style campaign. Personally, I'd probably use OIHID for them, unless they had a split-personality or something; then I'd use Multiform.

Sounds like my Student Warrior University campaign idea. Amber Long, from Digital Hero... 19 (Three Anime Martial Artists In Search Of A Campaign)? was a sample character from said setting.