Champions vs. Mechanon

SCUBA Hero

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Champions vs. Mechanon

We'll have to disagree then' date=' since I call the machine class of mind any machine with an EGO score.[/quote']

I'll have to disagree since I think Mechanon seems to have that quote in his descriptor. Then again, he doesn't have a disad that says he'd be subjected to both machine class & human class. So while I'm not agreeing, I'll go along with your ruling. Especially since I don't use mental classes either.

In other words' date=' the machine class of mind wouldn't include any NPCs or PCs?[/quote']

Sure it would, unless in the description of said character it stated their mind was considered organic and is effected that way.

Stating you are alien or machine class of mind is really nothing more than a way to get free mental defense because 99% of the mentalists do not have two or more mental classes purchased.

Mental classes are stupid to me. It should be a limitation on a power if it cannot effect another class of mind, not an advantage.

I once asked SteveL about classes of minds in campaigns. Though it was about the alien class, I think by the way he answered that it might apply:

Hello Steve,

I'm about to start a Champions campaign, and one of the team members is going to be a mentalist, so I want to be ready for some future questions:

1) Would Ironclad be classified as having an "Alien" mind for mental power effects?

He answered:

1. That's up to the GM, but I would say "no," for two reasons. First, it might tend to give him a defensive advantage he hasn't paid for; generally, it's best for any PC to qualify for the default "class of minds" for the campaign.

Second, as discussed on 5E 131, in the science fiction settings of the Hero Universe, psionic powers work equally well across sentient species.

In this case, I think that the fact that Mechanon actually bought 18 pts worth of Mental Defense also implies that he might be vulnerable to such attacks and has taken the proper precautions.

Battle Report: M-C in the MC

Headline: Mechanon wins by an inorganic hair!

Arena: The “Rosies†map.

Start: Mechanon is in the middle of the intersection, with the Champions surrounding him, 6†away on hexsides. They have been taunting each other and CSLs have been set. Witchcraft has her VPP set to a 3d6 NND that affects Mechanon. Everyone is on the ground.

M = Mechanon

D = Defender

I = Ironclad

S = Sapphire

W= Witchcraft

N = Nighthawk

Segment 12

• M has his Multipower CSLs in Offense, Overall Levels in Defense, (12/11)

• D and N make Teamwork rolls; each is +1 OCV vs. M this Phase.

• N Half Moves 5†and Punches with his Billy Club (12d6), his CSL in Offense (10/10). Needing 10- to hit, he rolls a 6 and does 43S/12B/5K. M takes 13 Stun.

• D Half Moves 3†and fires his Electric Blast (12d6), CSLs in Offense (11/8) Needing 11- to his, he rolls 11 and does 48S/13B/6K. M takes 18 Stun.

• M goes flying back from the Champions’ mighty blows (I added the vectors together, he didn’t hit anything) and takes 5d6 from hitting the pavement (HAH!) next to S. 31 Stun is not enough to Con-Stun him.

• M Multiple Power Attacks S (8/8) with his Offensive Mode Energy Bolt (18d6) and Tangle-cable (6d6). Needing 15- to hit, he rolls 8 and does 55S/12B/6K [six ones and no sixes!!!] plus a 5B/6D Entangle. S takes 31 Stun and is Con-Stunned, but not KO’d. ERROR: I forgot that M can’t apply his MP CSLs since they don’t apply to his Secondary Weapons Array. Oh well, I made the same mistake with W a bit later. COMMENT: That fact makes Mechanon’s Secondary Weapons Array darn near useless. COMMENT: A below-average damage roll; an average one would have KO’d Sapphire, and she’d have a hard time recovering enough Endurance to use Power Bolt I – she’d have to use Power Bolt II (8d6), which Mechanon would pretty much laugh at.

• S Recovers from being Stunned.

• I Half Moves 3†and tries to Find Weakness. Needing 7-, he rolls 17 and fails.

• W Half Moves 8†and MPAs her 3d6 NND and Witchfire (9d6). She’s 9/7 with the Witchfire and 7/7 with the NND. Needing 9- with Witchfire and 7- with the NND, she rolls 15 and misses with both. ERROR: Similar mistake to Mechanon’s, above.

Post Segment 12

• Recoveries. M is down 11 Stun, S is down 22 Stun.

Segment 2

• N Half Moves 5†and punches again. Needing 9- to hit, he rolls 6 and does 44S/12B/0K. M takes 14 Stun.

• M Half Moves 3†and MPAs the Bolt & Cable at N, Spreading the Bolt for 16d6, +2 OCV. He’s 14/11 on the Bolt, 12/11 on the Cable. Needing 15- and 13- to hit, he rolls 9 and does 50S/15B/7K and a 7B/6D Entangle. ERROR: Same one! At least I’m consistent. N is Con-Stunned and at 1 (!) Stun. COMMENT: Another below-average damage roll; an average one would have KO’d Nighthawk.

• S Power Bolts her Entangle for 13 Body and is free, with a Half Phase remaining. She Power Bolts M from 7†(6/8). Needing 6- to hit, she rolls 12 and misses.

Segment 3

• D Half Moves 10†and Electric Blasts. Needing 10- to his, he rolls 9 and does 42S/11B/3K. M takes 12 Stun and slams back into a garage door.

• I Half Leaps 8†next to M. Needing 13- to hit the hex, he makes the roll. He punches (12d6) (11/7). Needing 11- to hit, he rolls 6 and does 39S/13B/forgot the K but knocked M back into the garage door again. M takes 9 Stun, and is just below half his starting Stun total.

• W Half Moves 7†and NNDs. Needing 7- to hit, she rolls 12 and misses.

Segment 4

• N recovers from being stunned, is still in a 7B/6D Entangle.

• M stands up and Bolts I. Needing 16- to hit, he rolls 13 and hits for 70S/20B/11K. I takes 42 Stun and is Con-stunned, sliding along the street. COMMENT: Finally, an above average damage roll for Mechanon! It’s not enough to KO the brick, however.

• S Half Moves 4†and Power Bolts. Needing 8- to hit, she rolls 11 and misses.

Segment 5

• D Half Moves 3†and Electric Blasts. Needing 10- to hit, he rolls 12 and misses. COMMENT: Hmm, the Champions are having a run of bad to-hit rolls.

• I recovers from being stunned.

• W NNDs. Needing 8- to hit, she rolls 8 and does 11 Stun. ERROR: She actually needed 7- to hit and should have misses. OTOH, she and Defender should have coordinated their attacks for +1 OCV.

Segment 6

• N punches his Entangle for 10d6 (can’t use the billy club) and does 12 body, leaving him in a 1B/6D entangle.

• M Bolts D. Needing 15- to hit, he rolls 12 and hits for 47S/15B/10K. D takes 27 stun. COMMENT: Horrible damage roll!!! That should have KO’d Defender; it didn’t even con-stun him! It also normally would penetrate his 15 ED armor, and using the first option mentioned under the Focus rules, his largest power would go poof. No more weapons array!

• S Power Bolts. Needing 8- to hit, she rolls 7 and hits for 41S/12B. M takes 11 stun.

Segment 7

• M Bolts W. Needing 16- to hit, he rolls 12 and hits for 67S/18B/7K. W is KO’d at -20 stun. COMMENT: Finally, a satisfying crunch for Mechanon!

Segment 8

• D Half Moves 10†and Electric Blasts. Needing 10- to hit, he rolls 9 and hits for 29S/7B/0K, which does no damage to M. COMMENT: Puny organics!

• N punches through the remaining entangle with a full phase left. He Half Swings 8â€, which is not enough to get him next to M. He holds the remaining half phase.

• S Power Bolts. Needing 8- to hit, she rolls 8 and hits for 51S/16B/8K. M takes 21 stun and is at 1 (!!!) stun remaining. One more decent hit before the end of the turn and the Champions win the day! Gooooo, Champions!

• I half leaps 10â€, which is not enough to get him next to M. He holds the remaining half phase.

• W is KO’d.

Segment 9

• M stands up and Bolts I. Needing 16- to hit, he rolls 11 and does 64S/18B/9K. I takes 36 stun and is KO’d to -13 Stun.

Segment 10

• With D, N, and S lining him up, M aborts to Dodge.

• D needs 7-, rolls 16 and misses.

• N needs 6-, rolls 12 and misses.

• S needs 5-, rolls 16 and misses.

• COMMENT: They should have coordinated; wouldn’t have made a difference with those rolls, though.

Segment 11

• M had aborted to dodge.

Segment 12

• D needs 7-, rolls 12 and misses.

• N needs 6-, rolls 9 and misses.

• M Bolts S. Needing 15- to hit, he rolls 8 and does 64S/20B/13K. S takes 40 stun and is KO’d to -5 Stun.

• S cannot take a recovery in the segment that she was KO’d.

Post Segment 12

• Recoveries. M is now at 23 stun and can take a hit or two. I is at 7 stun, 7 endurance. S is at 4 stun, 4 endurance. D is at 17 stun.

I played out the rest of the battle; M took out D on segment 2, N missed on segment 2, N hit on segment 4 knocking M down to 9 stun, M took out N on segment 4.

Conclusion: A close one, could have gone either way. I’ll try again without the MPA mistakes and paying more attention to coordination.

One comment:

On Phase 12, when Mechanon had 1 Stun left, I would have had ALL the Champions hold their action. Mechanon would then have had to either shoot some one (and they are ONLY puny organics, after all) or dodge again, which would have left S to have an extra Recovery.

What would have happened then I don't know, but it WAS very close... :D

The Champions should also abort to defensive maneuvers whenever they're attacked as I believe a previous poster pointed out.
Yah. I've been considering tactics for both sides. Dodging would help the Champions, particularly since they are, on an average damage roll, one-hitters for Mechanon (except for Ironclad).

Mechanon's counter could be to attack someone who attacked him earlier in the segment. Or spreading for a couple of dice.

By God, this is fun. Like a gruelling series of Danger Room scenarios, we keep putting the poor bruised Champions back in there. This time we concentrated on Teamwork. Next time...

Eventually, the Champions will win. I will be here waiting, cheering on the meatpuppets. I am curious to know who the battleweary Champs will fight next.

By God, this is fun. Like a gruelling series of Danger Room scenarios, we keep putting the poor bruised Champions back in there. This time we concentrated on Teamwork. Next time...

Reminds me of a hilarious Onion article about a video game character who wonders why a cruel and callous god keeps hitting 'continue' instead of letting him die ;)

Die Puny Humans!

Well, I've ground out 5 Mechanon v. Champs rounds. I used the warehouse map. M started near a large box, the champs are on the east wall and near the garage door. (see the attached map).

In rounds 1 & 2, Mechanon could use Rapid Fire attack. He also put all levels to OCV in these battles.

Round 1 was a loss for the machine, mainly because he missed his initial 3-shot rapid fire on a 17! That, and Ironclad connected with a 19d6 leaping move through when M was embedded in a wall.

Round 2 was a victory for M, largely because he had better luck with the rapid fire. He was down to 17 STUN though.

In round 3, Mechanon did not use Rapid Fire, but put his 3 overall levels in DCV. This actually seems to be a much better plan, the victory was very solid (he was down to about 37 STUN).

In rounds 4 & 5, I had Mechanon forgo his 18d6 blast (because I essentially NEVER saw any reason to do anything else). He sticks with the 3 overall in DCV though.

Round 4 was another loss, largely because Ironclad connected (OCV 7 v 11, rolled 7) with a 19d6 move through. (M took 55 STUN from the move through & knockback!).

Round 5 was rough for the machine; he opened with a flash attack on Sapphire and Defender. However, Ironclad was doing GREAT, beating Mechanon into the center boxes over and over. Again, a relatively lucky hit by Ironclad finished him; while dodging near the end of turn (14 DCV) Ironclad connected (he and Sapphire had coordinated, and his 12 OCV connected).

Notes:

I had Witchcraft use an Ego Haymaker on the opening segment, it lands in 1 so M has no chance to move. After that, regular Ego attack is her weapon (If she had a 6 speed, she haymaker them on 2 and 4 and almost certainly connect; but with a 5 speed she's better off using regular for measly STUN).

I didn't allow 3 point levels to be used for ranged DCV.

Defender's Entangle is very weak against Mechanon. He only needs to roll 1 above average with his AP disintigrator to have a full phase!

Without the 18d6 EB, Ironclad is very tough to stop.

Worse: Ironclad should generally not Dodge, since the resulting 10 DCV isn't high enough. Instead, he should Roll with the Punch, which is very effective (especially given that the extra knockback doesn't bother Ironclad). For that reason, he should always manuever to keep open space behind him.

In general, I had any character targeted by Mechanon Dodge, at least in the early segments in battle (except Ironclad, who rolls with it). This seems to work well (Better for Nighthawk than anyone else, of course). But given Mechanon's damage output, it's probably the best option.

Mechanon starts a lot of phases prone. He needs Knockback Resistance in the worst way! (or better yet, position shift for his flight!).

Conclusion:

I think the battle isn't as lopsided in Mechanon's favor as I thought, actually. The best tactic for the Champions is probably to coordinate between Nighthawk, Defender and Sapphire (well, whichever of them didn't get target with the EB). If Mechanon can be knocked back (and hence prone), Ironclad can try the Move-through, which is very damaging.

If Mechanon has his 18d6 blast, then taking out Ironclad early is probably the right way to go (and follow that with Flashing the other Champions, who have no doubt clustered as they approach).

I've also attached my 5 battle transcripts for anyone that cares to read them.

Same Machine...Different Meat

Not a lot of love for the Champions here it seems. Fortunately, they aren't the only heroes on the block in the shining metropolis of Millenium City. I thought it might be interesting to see how five members of the fan-designed MC-8 would do against Mechanon.

In for Witchcraft...Lady Liberty (LL)

In for Nighthawk...Stalker (St)

In for Defender...Megaera (Me)

In for Sapphire...El Aguijon (EA)

In for Ironclad...Steadfast (Sf)

And Mechanon (Mc), as himself.

It's Meat vs. Machine II...let's get ready to rumble!!!

Pre-phase 12

Using the warehouse map from the resource kit...though I was tempted to use the starship bridge map. Once St and EA stealth their way into the building, Me and Sf knock in the warehouse door with LL between them, Mc is standing by some crates in the far corner.

Ph.12

LL half moves into position behind some crates and shoots Mc with her Rune enchanted pistols. Excellent roll, Mc takes 10 STUN. Note: I typed this up as I went, and looking back I realize that every shot that LL was able to take turned out really well. Her 14 OCV with the pistols and the +2 Stun multiplier made every shot pretty effective against Mc. Mc would definitely put her high up on the potential threat list next time they meet.

Mc acts next. Making his perception roll by 10, he is aware of both EA and St's flanking positions, but his threat matrix determines that the three entering at the door are the primary concern. Since LL has considerable concealment (-4), he softens them up with an Explosive Projectile. Almost missing the hex (a 16!) he does 38 STUN and 9 BODY before defenses. LL is in the single digits and is stunned. Me and Sf are hurt, but still solid. KB is negligable. Note: Unless otherwise stated, assume Mc has his Multipower Levels (+4) in OCV and his Overall levels in DCV (+3).

St thinks like a team member (making his Tactics roll) and hits Mc's hex with a Glue Bomb, 3 DEF 3 BODY Entangle, reducing Mc's DCV to 0.

Me goes next. The momentarily still form of the menacing machine is too tempting, and she goes for the Move Through. Even with her reduced OCV, she needs a 17- to hit. To remove any any doubt, she rolls a 6! 17 dice later (removing the top three 6s for the Entangle) Mc takes 16 STUN after defenses, and 5" of KB into the nearby crates. Note: I'm not sure if I removed the damage from the maneuver right to account for the DEF and BODY provided by the Entangle. I couldn't quickly find any example rules, which was the only case that the H5 index failed me, so I improvised.

EA, counting on his shrunken state to avoid harm, flies closer to the robot prone in the debris and zaps him with his Stunning Sting. Needing a 14, he rolls an 11 and does 27 STUN! Note: I'm not sure if Mc would have the non-conuctive armor defense for this NND or not. There's nothing indicating it in his background or power descriptions. Plus, I'm trying to favor the 'meat' here. Next time they face him, this won't work.

Sf lumbers forward at his full rate of 8" towards Mc, trying to keep himself between the robot and the stunned LL.

Post 12

LL: recovers to half her STUN, even though she is stunned.

Mc: recovers to 57 STUN remaining, and is plotting his revenge against the tiny insect flesh bag

Me: recovers totally.

Sf: recovers to all but 3 STUN.

Ph.1...Ph. 2

LL recovers from being stunned

Mc takes a half phase to right himself, and, his threat matrix recalibrated, takes a shot at EA in fully Offensive Mode (all skill levels to OCV). Mc needs an 11, and by his gilded circuits that's what he gets! EA takes 57 STUN and 4 BODY! After defenses! He's unconscious before taking the 29" of KB. He then takes an additional 4 STUN going through the interior wall, and another 11 STUN going through the exterior brick wall, to land 3" outside the warehouse fully grown at -42 STUN. He won't be waking up any time soon...like Christmas...2006.

Ph. 3

St swings closer and does a repeat of his last action, hoping to keep the robot held down long enough for his teammates to finish it off. He hits two hexes behind Mc (on purpose) with a 2 DEF 2 BODY Glue Grenade. Note: I tried to play Stalker smart and a little lucky. Centering the explosion back a bit from the enemy means less Entangle to punch through for his teammates, and he also doesn't have to worry about catching Me in the Glue.

Me flies up and attempts to smash Mc into the concrete floor with her Punch. She hits with a 14 and does 6 STUN to Mc after the Entangle and his defenses, and she sinks him an inch into the floor for an additional 5 STUN.

Sf "runs" another 8" up to Mc. He's only 3" away now. Note: Sf needs a movement power badly! The fight would have been done if he could have reached HtH range sooner. I know, something is said about it in the character's description, but he could have bought 2 or 3 more inches with just a few points (instead of a base and vehicle) and he'd be better off. Next time, Megaera is just going to Fastball Special him at Mechanon.

Ph. 4

LL has no clear shot on the robotic menace, so she jogs her full move over to a better, flanking, position.

Mc doesn't even bother to stand up. He just shoots Me in his fully Offensive Mode (all levels OCV). He rolls a 7 and hits her square in the *ahem* chest. Ouch. Fortunately, Mc 'got a rock' and only does 29 STUN to the marvelous maiden after her defenses, She's stunned. She takes 13" of knockback up into the concrete ceiling, and, unfortuanately, the ceiling rolled well. She takes an aditional 18 STUN, is at 1 STUN remaining, and is heading towars the floor.

Ph. 5

St swings into action and catches Me before she can hit the ground. They land comfortably behind some crates nearby for cover.

Me recovers from being stunned.

Sf half moves up to the prone Mc and starts a-pounding, quoting something about the "valley of the shadow of death." He rolls an 8 and hits solidly, doing only 6 STUN and sinking Mc further into the floor (no additional damage).

Ph. 6

LL half moves up and shoots the downed robot again. Hitting with a 10, she leaks 15 STUN through the robot's defenses.

Mc is relatively irritated now, he sets off an Explosive Projectile with his Flare as a Multiple Power Attack, placing himself at the center of the blast radius for the projectile. It's a calculated risk. He hits his hex. LL is knocked out at -1 STUN, but not stunned, and this means she avoids being blinded. Sf takes only 5 STUN, and is blinded for 5 segments. Mc takes 2 STUN.

Ph. 7

Mc rises from the floor and backhands the blinded Sf, hitting easily with a 14. Sf takes 10 STUN, but surprises Mc by not moving an inch. Note: Mc's Overconfidence showing through here. The only visible enemy facing him is the blinded Sf. All the rest of the flesh bags are hiding or unconscious. I'd say being overconfident in this moment is to be expected. Also, I note that none of the MC-8 have have that Psych Lim, which I commend.

Ph. 8

LL becomes conscious.

St decides it's time to move from a support role to directly into the fray, to give the heavy hitters a moment to catch their wind. He half moves toward Mc and fires his Electro-Disc. He rolls a 9 and hits for 5 STUN and 1" of KB. Note: Having no Knockback Resistance or a Breakfall skill, Mc goes to the floor yet again. I've checked the sheet over a half dozen times, and I can't find anything that helps Mc keep his feet in a fight. Being prone and at 1/2 DCV is a huge advantage for the heroes.

Me takes a free recovery.

Sf rolls a 10 for his Hearing PER Roll against Mc, just enough to have a shot on the machine. He rolls a 14 on his punch and misses.

Ph. 9

Mc stands and blasts the blind Sf with his 18d6. He rolls an 11, hits, and does 40 STUN. Sf doesn't move an inch, but is unconscious. Note: Only to -7, he'll wake up in the next phase.

Ph. 10

LL stands and takes another shot at Mc. With a 10, she hits, rolls a hell of a stun multiplier, and does 18 STUN to the evil automaton. With that, Mc is at 0 STUN, and falls.

St and Me still have yet to go this phase, and they'll likely knock Mc into double digit negative STUN. Sf will be coming conscious, and get his sight back next phase, ready to cause more trouble. So, I'm calling it a win for the meat. Mc's head will be heading out on Phase 11. Note: the head will "be heading" and "heading out" ... how cheesy can I get?!

---------------

I would say for their first set, the MC-8 make a good team, and their creators get gold stars. They're a little better than the Champions. I never even used Megaera or Steadfast's Missile Deflection powers, which would pretty much negate the 18d6 blast on them if they acted as shields while the other heroes, especially Liberty, sniped away at Mechanon.

The only other thing I learned is that I'm really rusty at running combats for this many characters, so it was slow going (like 4 1/2 hours)...I need to do this again, now that I'm a bit more familiar with the characters, and see if I can't speed it up. :hex:

Major error in the battle. Mechanon should get an immediate Casual Str roll to break out of the weak entangles that hit him. Casual Str on 60 Str means that the wimpy 3 Def 3 Body or 2 Def 2 Body entangles most likely won't hold him, leaving him with full DCV.

Re: Same Machine...Different Meat

Not a lot of love for the Champions here it seems. Fortunately, they aren't the only heroes on the block in the shining metropolis of Millenium City. I thought it might be interesting to see how five members of the fan-designed MC-8 would do against Mechanon.

In for Witchcraft...Lady Liberty (LL)

In for Nighthawk...Stalker (St)

In for Defender...Megaera (Me)

In for Sapphire...El Aguijon (EA)

In for Ironclad...Steadfast (Sf)

And Mechanon (Mc), as himself.

It's Meat vs. Machine II...let's get ready to rumble!!!

Pre-phase 12

Using the warehouse map from the resource kit...though I was tempted to use the starship bridge map. Once St and EA stealth their way into the building, Me and Sf knock in the warehouse door with LL between them, Mc is standing by some crates in the far corner.

Ph.12

LL half moves into position behind some crates and shoots Mc with her Rune enchanted pistols. Excellent roll, Mc takes 10 STUN. Note: I typed this up as I went, and looking back I realize that every shot that LL was able to take turned out really well. Her 14 OCV with the pistols and the +2 Stun multiplier made every shot pretty effective against Mc. Mc would definitely put her high up on the potential threat list next time they meet.

You do realize that the yellow text of your battle description is totally unreadable against the white default background of the Hero Boards? I essentially couldn't read nearly half of your post, and therefore I didn't bother to read it at all. :no:

Actually, so far, the Champions vs. Mechanon battles seem to be neglecting a rather important aspect. Mechanon is a hunted of Sapphire. So, in theory, Sapphire should be the initial primary target of Mechanon. Mechanon, in none of the battles, used his Disintegrator Beam. I just rolled a "mock" attack versus Sapphire. After defenses, Sapphire took 8 Body and 8 Stun (low stun multiplier).

In fact, the Disintegrator Beam is going to nearly kill every Champions Member except for Iron Clad.

Mock Damage against Witchcraft leaves her at -4 BODY and -6 STUN.

Mock Damage against Nighthawk leaves him at 4 BODY and 24 STUN.

Mock Damage against Ironclad leaves him at 17 BODY and 56 STUN.

Mock Damage against Defender leaves him at 7 BODY and 15 STUN. (Stunned)

Moral of the story: The Champions need to get Hardening on their defenses.