WWYCD #94: The Nar Cola endorsement

Hermit

(Yeah, I know that no #93 is listed, but if you check we had two questions in 92 area come up at the same time)

Due to some recent success in crimefighting, your character finds his/her public approval rating rising somewhat. A day or two later, a gentleman from Nar Cola makes your character an offer, they will pay your character a VERY sizable amount to be the new Nar Cola spokeshero! If your character prefers, they will instead donate the cash to your character's favorite charity or cause.

The terms of being their 'Spokeshero' are negotable, but you must look into the camera, say "Nar Cola, it's SUPER!" and smile, for crying out loud, smile!

Re: WWYCD #94: The Nar Cola endorsement

Starguard -- no. It doesn't seem properly heroic, somehow.

Dr. Pain -- hell yeah. He's an ex-WWF wrestling champion, for God's sake. Doing commercial endorsements is something he's *long* since gotten used to.

Baron von Darien -- the Baron has a very carefully rehearsed *glare* that's designed to leave the more impressionable recipients with several years' worth of nightmares. This occasion sounds like a perfect time to haul it out. :)

Style - "Oh. How much money? Well, I did have my eye on that Atlantean Focus Stone."

Flesh Gordon - "Another endorsement contract! Sweet! What color posing pouch should I wear?"

Thirteen - "Go away."

AnimeGai - "Legitimate income which may be used to help the poor? As you wish."

Indomitable Will - "Corporate vermin! Poisoner of the People! Flee and Repent, or Face My Social Justice!"

Mask of Justice: Clearly, this is happening sometime after Lawdog of Boston makes the first commercial endorsement in the Global Guardians universe. "I endorse justice, not sugar water."

Rock Bottom: "Let me check my contract with the City of Baltimore. And I'll need to see your prospectus, especially anything to do with your company's anti-discrimination policies."

Calculus: "All the effort I go to to convince people I'm an urban legend, and this sort of thing keeps happening. Go. Away."

Kira Midori: "I'm sorry, but it would be unbecoming of a police officer. Besides, I think cola tastes yucky."

Talion: "You want me? What the heck market are you trying to reach? I want half the money in advance." Shortly after the commercial is finished, but before it airs, Nar-Cola is discovered to cause testicular cancer, and is pulled from the market. The check the company gave Talion bounces due to them having to spend all their money fighting lawsuits.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Flippant:

(inner monologue) 'A commercial endorsement? It's a dream come true. It's what I always wanted... sniff. Maybe this 'new job' will be as good as I had hoped... waitaminit. NAR COLA? What the heck is NAR COLA?'

(outer monologue) "Uh... I'll get back to you with a proposition for the ad, okay?"

Estatua:

"Well, it is always a good thing to raise money for charity... and I suppose my endorsement won't hurt anything. Let me just check the product is safe, okay?"

Shellrider: Fabulously rich and has a Secret ID. Besides, nobody's seen her outside of her shell.

Lara: Would consider it unbecoming to her social station. As MD, maybe. It depends on how she feels about Nar Cola.

Princess Dawn: Doesn't do product endorsements.

Blue Fire: Only if she already like Nar Cola.

Champion Wind: "My powers are a sacred trust, given to me to fight the Darkness, not to sell soft drinks. Go away."

Ballistic who has 10+ points of wealthy would just tell them to take a flying leap. He has his own eletronics businesses to run, and if he were going to do a super endorsement it would be for his own company.

Blackcat - Has a glare, not unlike the Barons, only it is coming from a martial arts master, and causes embaressement over asking something irrelevent or unsuitable. She would use it.

Terminal Velocity woud at first really like the idea, but then realize that extra publicity is not something someone wants when one's mother is a ex super villian in hiding.

Golden Eagle: "Sorry, I am under exclusive contract with DexCorp. Wait, isn't Nar-Cola a division of DexCorp? You really should have checked with legal before approaching me..."

Protector: "I don't know how you found me, but you better UN-find me, man. Besides, that stuff'll rot your teeth..."

Bouncer:"Where do I sign? can I do one with Jessica Simpson? How about Miss Piggy? Let me check with my lawyer and make sure this doesn't conflict with my 1-800-CALL-ATT gig."

Husky: Let me explain. I have access to Huskitonian technology, I have no needs or wants your money could satisy that I cannot easily fabricate in the Fortress of Huskitude. If you see me drinking one of your beverages feel free to take a picture and donate whatever amount of money you feel is appropriate to a charity that supports under funded school districts. *leaning in closely with just a touch of intimidation and a lowerting of the voice* "Trust me, I'll know how much you donate and where that money goes so lets keep this friendly but unofficial." After changing into Kenneth. Kenneth will have the public relation robot (Katie Kat) contact any other corporations who might be interested in endorsement and establish a friendly but non-contractual arrangement. Kenneth might also assign the legal droid (Perry Matlock) to back her up on the assignment.

Warp: Not only is Warp a multibillionaire but he enjoys the fact that in Hero ID his fellow team mates outshine him as far as the media is concerned. He already has to deal with the burdens of fame in his secret id. He has absolutely no incentive to endorse Nar Cola.

Spectrum: Is a Colonel in the United States Airforce and official government super hero. It would be against regulations to shill cola, and beneath the dignity of his position to boot.

Mystic: Has more important concerns to be dealing with to endorse products, such as the defense of Earth and the dimension it's located in.

Adonis – “Spokeswhat?! Let us get something straight here, you pathetic creep. I am not a hero. The police are heroes. Firepeople are heroes. Doctors are heroes. Soldiers are heroes. Parents are heroes. I am an actor. Occasionally, I help out the authorities to the best of my abilities, like any good citizen would. It isn’t that impressive to stand up to a guy holding up a convenience store, when you can bounce light caliber bullets off your skin. You want a spokeshero go to the police department’s public relations department, ***-****.â€

All of which, just goes to show they sent an idiot to negotiate the contract. Adonis has been very public and vocal about his dislike of the word "hero" being applied to him. He is far more impressed with the way that police officers put their lives on the line every day, than his occasional adventures.

Anthem would decline. She thinks of heroism as a pure thing that should not be tainted by commercial gain. She's poor as a church mouse, but them's the breaks.

Uncle Slam would decline because he'd think it was frivolous.

Audra Blue would accept. Any filming could not go inside the base beyond the lobby, and she would not leave the base, so the advertiser would have to be pretty creative. But the base is hemorraging money (the heroes do not realize) and she's trying to keep it afloat. An endorsement seem harmless enough.

Jack T. Chance: What?!! You want me to drink that crap! There is no friggin'...(blink, blink). That is a lot of zeroes on that there check, my friend.

Daniel Knight: No thank you, although I am sure that quite a few people on my team would welcome the chance. Ask them.

Bane: No, I am not interested in being a spokesman. I would find it in poor taste, especially since the mortality rate of my team is usually quite high. But I will make a deal with you. If you accompany my team on five missions, we will be more than happy to do all your endorsements for free. No? Well, I trust since you found your way in, that you will be equally adept at finding your way out.

Microman II: Could be fast-talked into such an endorsement scheme, despite his attesting that he doesn't need to drink, and has never drunken it before. If Horus-Re is around, he'd probably encourage me not to do so. If dad is around, he might encourage me to do so, as a new experience.

And naturally, after drinking it during the commercial, Microman discovers that the exact composition produces a feedback loop in his chemical sense center producing an. . . odd sensation that he would like to have again. . .

Nova will ask to give a *long, hard look* to the company's environmental, social and human resources management record. If he finds nothing espeically objectionable, he might just give the endorsement, as long as he gets choice on the details of the advertisement. If yes, he'll give most of the gains to charity. He doesn't really need money.