Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

Yeah. Just been busy...

It appears that among the things I missed in the last three months was the Great Posting Purge of 2005. Does this mean I have to get millenial all over again?

Doc

Well, it wasn't really a posting purge. The posts are all still there. It's just that the ones in the NGD no longer count towards post total.

Yeah. Just been busy...

It appears that among the things I missed in the last three months was the Great Posting Purge of 2005. Does this mean I have to get millenial all over again?

Heck if I know. I think Dan did it just so Steve Long would get to the top of the chart. :D

Yeah. Just been busy...

Doc

Oh yes, and you have to do it the hard way.

I am so glad that the studio is just a temporary stepping stone. The "workmen" finally arrived today to put it in. (It was promised to be in May 5...) I was getting a lot of "for sure tomorrow, I promise" from the landlord.

I was a bit annoyed today already from finding out I've got points on my insurance record from the <censored> who killed my Nissan last year. So I get to try to clear that up with AAA. I do not recommend the Oregon version of AAA. The ones in California/Nevada were great. The ones in Oregon were skinflints that make you do all the work.

So in my phone message to the landlord, I think I challenged some of that into plusses on a presence attack. They were here 20 minutes later to start work. Jenn said she'd never heard me speak like that and there wasn't a single swear word. I was just explaining the situation as how I saw it and how disappointed I was in the service.

The kids who did the work were nice enough. Just not much experience. After one of them nearly cut his hand off with breaking one of the old panes trying to get it out of the frame, I suggested putting tape over the window to keep the big frame from shattering. (And showering the studio with bits of glass.)

The new window is pretty funny. Two regular windows put in place against 2x4s that were attached to the brick. They don't span the entire space so we've also got a plywood spacer. The spacer that we have right now is a temp job and we'll get one that fits properly tomorrow. (It's still going to be a kludge job though.)

I'm just happy to have windows with screens so that we can have some air flow in here. They're installing an air conditioner tomorrow (or so they say...)

Glad to hear there's progress, always annoying when getting tough is what it takes to get results.

Glad to hear there's progress' date=' always annoying when getting tough is what it takes to get results.[/quote']

Yea. We'll probably be in this place for six months, but I would like to get out by Winter. I have a bad feeling about the bathroom in cold weather.

I think I'll take a picture of the window tonight and solicit ideas on how to kit bash it.

I'm still really sad about having to put my cat down last Saturday. Rest in peace' date=' Dubya.[/quote']My condolences, Thrak. I know how difficult that is to do, having had to do it myself. :( Just try and remember all the good times you had together, and let Dubya live forever in your heart.

My condolences' date=' Thrak. I know how difficult that is to do, having had to do it myself. :( Just try and remember all the [i']good[/i] times you had together, and let Dubya live forever in your heart.

At least he had a cat named Dubya. :D

JG

My condolences' date=' Thrak. I know how difficult that is to do, having had to do it myself. :( Just try and remember all the [i']good[/i] times you had together, and let Dubya live forever in your heart.

I can't say much more than ditto, take care Thrakazog.

I am still trying to figure out why even though I am getting at least one letter of praise a week from clients who are thrilled with me' date=' my sales numbers are nowhere nearly as good as they have to be...[/quote']

You're giving too good of service. You need to drop your standards so you can serve more at a tolerable level. (I really wish I were kidding)

If you ever put part of a can of Armor Potted Meat in the refrigerator overnight to use in a sandwich the next day, don't expect to be able to spread it on the bread as soon as you take it out of the refrigerator because it's too stiff.

And don't try to warm it up to spreadable consitency in the microwave. Hot Armor Potted Meat tastes awful! :ugly:

You know. Cat food acts the same way. (Though I haven't tried either microwave or tasting it...)

You're giving too good of service. You need to drop your standards so you can serve more at a tolerable level. (I really wish I were kidding)

*chuckle*

Sad but true. At least I know my supervisor is on my side, he keeps trying to find ways to help me out (he holds to the long-ignored philosophy that if a rep's numbers aren't too great but the rep is clearly working her a** off trying to help and to tell, he'll go to bat for her).

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

This was brought to mind by the thread on the Senate compromise on filibustering judge nominees, but should not be taken as weighing in on one side or another. It's just a semantics note.

There is a big difference between "deserves" and "is entitled to", and we shouldn't use one when we mean the other. "Deserves" means that something should happen, but no one is actually obligated to make it so. For example, "I deserve a girlfriend." It may be true, but I can't make anyone find me one who doesn't want to. It's also a subjective condition. "All judicial nominees deserve an up or down vote" or "President Bush deserves to shape the court system to his liking" are subjectively true to the speaker who believes them, even if his audience believes the statements to be subjectively false.

"Is entitled to" means that there is a legal or contractual obligation to make the desired circumstance happen. For example, "I am entitled to forty hours of vacation a year, because it's in the contract I signed with my employer." This is a objective statement, because there's a written piece of paper that spells out my entitlement, as well as the obligations I have taken on to earn that entitlement. The judicial nominees are not "entitled to" an up or down vote; the Senate is not obligated to give it to them, no matter how much they may deserve it.

For what it's worth.

Point taken, but I still think one part of that is open to interpretation.

"All judicial nominees deserve an up or down vote" is not synonymous with "President Bush (or any other president) deserves to shape the court system to his liking." After all, "up or down vote" means the nominee could get shot down.

The question was whether nominees who would otherwise get a majority vote could be held up by a filibuster as a matter of course- effectively requiring a three-fifths majority when there is no such requirement in the "advise and consent" clause.

Further comments on the matter would be more appropriate to the Senate Compromise thread, and I already know it's not worth stepping into that. ;)

JG

"All judicial nominees deserve an up or down vote" is not synonymous with "President Bush (or any other president) deserves to shape the court system to his liking."

JG

True. They are both subjective statements, but to believe one is not necessarily to believe the other. (And vice versa.)

This was brought to mind by the thread on the Senate compromise on filibustering judge nominees' date=' but should not be taken as weighing in on one side or another. It's just a semantics note.[/quote']

Good point. Technically, a judicial nominee only needs the "advice and consent" of the Senate. Nothing in the US Constitution specifies how that advice or consent are to be given. There's no mention of voting.

Theoretically, Bill frist could write a letter to President Bush on behalf of the Senate majority giving the approval of the majority of the Senate for any judicial appointment without so much as floor debate, thereby validating said nominee for confirmation.

I don't think it would hold up in a SCOTUS review, though. The SCOTUS leans on procedural precedent a ton and would probably rule that, even though it's not written down, it's a de facto rule of the Senate that a vote signals consent.

Good point. Technically, a judicial nominee only needs the "advice and consent" of the Senate. Nothing in the US Constitution specifies how that advice or consent are to be given. There's no mention of voting.

Theoretically, Bill frist could write a letter to President Bush on behalf of the Senate majority giving the approval of the majority of the Senate for any judicial appointment without so much as floor debate, thereby validating said nominee for confirmation.

I don't think it would hold up in a SCOTUS review, though. The SCOTUS leans on procedural precedent a ton and would probably rule that, even though it's not written down, it's a de facto rule of the Senate that a vote signals consent.

That's a very interesting point/speculation. I think the real basic problem would be that the Senate has established a series of controls over its own behavior, many of which are aimed at empowering the minority, from sustaining fillibusters to some votes requiring 3/5 to work in committees. By the majority establishing such an approach it would de facto violate those rules, even if not for the immediate Senate session (let's just say for sake of argument the majority is overwhelming enough to pass an actual law to this effect) then for, potentially, the future session as later Senates would find themselves constrained on this account with no ability for a minority, however large, to exert the influence given to them in every other sphere of Senate conduct.

It's a good thing our republic formed at a point where political factions were real but relatively weak and in flux or I could see where an early Senate/House could have established rules such as you indicated that would then have become the standard legislative method.

3 day weekend coming up.

Hoo Hah !

Not for ALL of us. :mad:

SOME of us get to bust our butts moving from our nice, big, 3-floor apartment that's ridiculously priced to a place half the size with decent rent, but that won't have a phone until Tuesday.

And due to the phone company's ability to drag their feet, Josh and I are looking at cable internet. Which will be $80 for 3 months, then $140 after that.

:mad:

And then we go into work, exhausted and sore, when everyone else is enjoying a paid holiday.

I'm thinking taking the rest of the week off of the NGD might be a good idea. I am going to be SO pissy.

Not for ALL of us. :mad:

SOME of us get to bust our butts moving from our nice, big, 3-floor apartment that's ridiculously priced to a place half the size with decent rent, but that won't have a phone until Tuesday.

And due to the phone company's ability to drag their feet, Josh and I are looking at cable internet. Which will be $80 for 3 months, then $140 after that.

:mad:

And then we go into work, exhausted and sore, when everyone else is enjoying a paid holiday.

I'm thinking taking the rest of the week off of the NGD might be a good idea. I am going to be SO pissy.

You have my sympathy. Moving sucks. I'm about to get to do it again myself. Just not sure yet if it'll be across town or across the country...

You have my sympathy. Moving sucks. I'm about to get to do it again myself. Just not sure yet if it'll be across town or across the country...

And my sympathies to you, as well.

This wouldn't be so bad if I was mostly caught up on sleep to begin with. But I was tired before I drive to Maryland last weekend, and that kind of drive takes a lot out of me. And I've been having trouble falling asleep.

It's going to be over a week before I can sleep most of my Saturday away! :weep:

And my sympathies to you, as well.

This wouldn't be so bad if I was mostly caught up on sleep to begin with. But I was tired before I drive to Maryland last weekend, and that kind of drive takes a lot out of me. And I've been having trouble falling asleep.

It's going to be over a week before I can sleep most of my Saturday away! :weep:

If I didn't say so already, sorry to you to, Alice.