Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Guest Worldmaker

Re: Musings on Random Musings

WHat are the differences between Texas sytle BBQ and Memphis style BBQ' date=' besides one is almost always Beef and the other pork?[/quote']

Memphis style barbecue uses molasses and sugar based sauces, and is almost always pulled pork or ribs.

Texas style barbecue uses tangier, spicier sauces, concentrates on dry rubs to an extent that other styles of barbecue don't, and is almost always beef briskets and rib racks rather than pork.

WM; I knew you would know. :thumbup:

The reason I asked, was a girl at work just moved here from Kansas and said she couldn't find any good Bar-be-que. Now we have 2 really good bar-be-que places here in Cape, so I know that it isn't true (about 3.5 to 4 outa 5 stars in food quality, YMMV). Then it dawned on me that she was more used to Texas style and around here, Memphis style is the big thing. (Right on Ol' Man River)

I wasn't sure if there was any difference besides the pork vs. Beef, but htought there might be.

Memphis style barbecue uses molasses and sugar based sauces, and is almost always pulled pork or ribs.

Texas style barbecue uses tangier, spicier sauces, concentrates on dry rubs to an extent that other styles of barbecue don't, and is almost always beef briskets and rib racks rather than pork.

My favorite barbecue place is in Seattle, they call it the "Pecos Pit"

and make 3 grades of sauces. I stop at the MEDIUM! :shock:

They do ham, beef(brisket) and pulled pork. I prefer the pork, but the beef is good too. I haven't tried the ham.

They'll "put a spike in it" and shove a hot sausage into the middle. :)

Even their baked beans are nicely hot.

On a slightly related note, Tobasco finally brought out a sauce I like!

Their garlic one was ok, but the Chipotle!! Thats good stuff. Doesn't taste like vinegar.

Memphis style is the way to do it baby!

(has a smoking oven that can be easily converted to an indirect cooker.)

Memphis style is the way to do it baby!

(has a smoking oven that can be easily converted to an indirect cooker.)

While I love a good grilled BBQ steak. I agree that slow cooked, basted, pork is the way to go.

If Star Wars takes place a Long Time Ago in a place Far Far Away' date=' would the light generated from the star battles have had enough time to reach Earth yet or is the place not so far away that it passed before we realized it?[/quote']Well, that would depend exactly how far away the galaxy was, wouldn't it? ;)

Besides, I seriously doubt that the light from those battles would be anything we'd ever be capable of detecting. After all, it usually takes something like a sun going nova to be picked out individually at that distance. I think these battles, no matter how spectacular they might be on the human scale, would be too insignificant on the galactic distance scale to be detectable. :)

Counting coup:

On May 3, I came right out and accused Robot King of being Fred Bittick. All but 42 of his posts have since been deleted, (all from a locked thread), and the last time he logged onto the boards was yesterday.

hmm...

Woot?

You'll be receiving your RFK medal shortly. Good job soldier! :D

You'll be receiving your RFK medal shortly. Good job soldier! :D

Thanks, I think. I have to admit to having a soft spot for the shmoe. I'd like it if he would come clean and take his lumps, to satisfy my urge to understand what would motivate someone to take up such an odd hobby for so long.

Thanks' date=' I think. I have to admit to having a soft spot for the shmoe. I'd like it if he would come clean and take his lumps, to satisfy my urge to understand what would motivate someone to take up such an odd hobby for so long.[/quote']

I agree. If he would have popped up, confessed to the charade, and said it was all just an experiment in roleplaying, I wouldn't have had that much of a problem.

Thanks' date=' I think. I have to admit to having a soft spot for the shmoe. I'd like it if he would come clean and take his lumps, to satisfy my urge to understand what would motivate someone to take up such an odd hobby for so long.[/quote']

HMM, I just figured RObot king was Jackalope.

good call.

I agree. If he would have popped up' date=' confessed to the charade, and said it was all just an experiment in roleplaying, I wouldn't have had that much of a problem.[/quote']

I know, and at least it would have softened the blow for Jack and others, at least indicating he was still going to be there for GG and such.

I never saw Robot King or his posts, that I can recollect.

I am not dead.

But I have lost all my bookmarks from where I had been backlogged in reading the boards. So, it looks like no more "400 pages ago in a Thread for Random Musings..."

Doc

Ah, that's too bad, but nice to see you around! Hope all is well.

Ah' date=' that's too bad, but nice to see you around! Hope all is well.[/quote']

Yeah. Just been busy...

It appears that among the things I missed in the last three months was the Great Posting Purge of 2005. Does this mean I have to get millenial all over again?

Doc