Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

To be frank' date=' your writing for the wrong reason. I understand the compelling desire to write something that you hope can be published. But you should be writing the story because you have a story you want to write. Finding the market for it should be an after thought.[/quote']

I wasn't aware there was only one reason to write.

And, tell it to Mickey Spillaine...

Should he have added, "IMHO" or "My opinion is..."?

:eg:

(sorry, just being a pain...)

On a side comment, Rita Rudner became a comedienne simply through her analysis of viable careers and the fact she determined that she could do it. She claims not to be naturally funny nor to have some special inspiration.

You could write the crap formula, become succesful, and then be able to get your good stories published. :D

And I know those stories existed.

Hey, there are plenty of reasons to write. I'm just saying you should write the story you have because you want to write the story. Worry about publishing when you have finished.

There are few things in life more aggravating for me than having a good idea, and having absolutely NO idea how to go about implementing it.

Anyone on here know how to write a good information-requesting letter? I wrote a draft, but have no idea if this thing will get the results I want...

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko

There's a formula:

Dear Sir or Madam,

Paragraph 1. Intro, why they should read farther.

Paragraph 2. Message.

Paragraph 3. Thanks and summary.

Sincerely,

name

That's all I got.

WM posted

"Anne Parillaud owns that role in a way neither Brigit Fonda nor Peta Wilson were ever capable of."

Yeah, In a lot of ways she did.

My favorite role of hers, however, was in "Innocent Blood" :eg:

Peta I thought was a little hotter as Nikita.

/GUN GEEK ALERT/

Brigit had the cool gun, a tricked out rapid fire match pistol.

Great if you want to put 5 shots in an eyesocket in 1 second or something. Lousy for any other form of combat.

Did you check with Baen, they seem to publish a fair amount of Crossover.

Or iirc Daw does the Garrett books...

May your writings be plentiful.

SO I can read them. ;):D

Rant!

Here's the deal: I'm working on a gritty low-fantasy story (no idea on length. Just writing it until it stops). Its fanstasy because its set in a "different world," not because its filled with monsters and magic, or has a young ignorant male protagonists who just happen to have the key to all power that trumps the otherwise unstoppable villian, but still can't figure out the remakably beautiful, but virginally chaste because the author can't deal with sex heroine. Its a hard-boiled adventure story with intrigue, dubious protagonists who are mere mortals, not to mention a dollop of sex and a truckload of violence.

Here's the problem: almost every fantasy market out there, get this, requires the story include a strong dose of overt magic or otherworldliness. Ugh! First, the obvious question: why bloody why? Answer: we're marketing to fourteen year old males, jack. Second, more practical question: how do you create a coherent magic system that's meaningful to the plot and theme (a rough approximation of their words) when the plot and theme don't freaking need them in any way shape or form? Answer: 'cause magic's so coooooool.

This was the first idea I've had that is flowing out like a river during the spring thaw, too.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

I believe this is called "A Song of Ice and Fire." :D

JG

Details!

Details!

Details!

The man who wrote this article lives in my gush and is a good friend:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=729066&postcount=285

He told me Dr. Vendyl Jones is giving a lecture at the Temple Institute in Jerusalem in two weeks - and I'm going. Since he knows Dr. Jones (and that I'm a pulp fiction geek) he offered to introduce me after the event!

Hoo-ah! Fan-boy dream fufilled!

This was the first idea I've had that is flowing out like a river during the spring thaw, too.

While I syampathize with your predicament (and empathize - I'm terrified my book will have no market for similar reasons), I also side with the squirrel (which doesn't happen all the time). Create beauty first, sell it later. Climb one mountain at a time. When I start to worry about getting published, my pen freezes in place.

I'm going to meet Indianna Jones!

I'm going to meet Indianna Jones!

I'm going to meet indianna Jones!

/at least, the man he was based on...

Wikipedia lists these possible candiates, which one is it:

• Roy Chapman Andrews.
  • Vendyl "Texas" Jones
  • Gene Savoy
  • Robert Braidwood

And colour me jealous :P

While I syampathize with your predicament (and empathize - I'm terrified my book will have no market for similar reasons)' date=' I also side with the squirrel (which doesn't happen all the time). Create beauty first, sell it later. Climb one mountain at a time. When I start to worry about getting published, my pen freezes in place.[/quote']To add something futher:

Create your works of art first and get then published later, When the big break comes along (and it will happen) you have a ready supply of books they are eager to publish as a follow up to cash in on your initial success. by creating your works of art first, it should be easier to sell them later.

Don't give up, success is just round the next corner (or two, or three).

The man who wrote this article lives in my gush and is a good friend:

http://www.herogames.com/forums/showpost.php?p=729066&postcount=285

He told me Dr. Vendyl Jones is giving a lecture at the Temple Institute in Jerusalem in two weeks - and I'm going. Since he knows Dr. Jones (and that I'm a pulp fiction geek) he offered to introduce me after the event!

Hoo-ah! Fan-boy dream fufilled!

I thought Indiana Jones was based on Roy Champan Andrews, there are certainly many simliarities to his life story, although I'm no expert at all on the matter (not that that's ever stopped me).

Hey' date=' there are plenty of reasons to write. I'm just saying you should write the story you have because you want to write the story. Worry about publishing when you have finished.[/quote']

Wouldn't you say that approach is less likely to be fruitful if the purpose is largely/primarily as a commercial endeavor?

The Musings on Random Musings thread has never really taken off since the RFK thing' date=' which is too bad since I always found it a nice place to chat, though the Longest Thread serves that purpose, if more disjointedly.[/quote']

It is more that you are somewhat less interested in chatting.

I have a friend who wrote a book which has a manuscript for the last couple years. It's now seeming to pick up steam though on being published. And it certainly isn't the main stream either.

Lucky friend, see if you can't get some of that luck sent my way, huh? :D

Michelle

aka

Samuraiko