Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

It's not just you; I've been getting it for two or three days now. My guess is it's the current attempt at circumventing spam filters.

Or maybe the Hero forums got 'harvested' by a German spambot...?

That's so weird. I'm getting LOTS and LOTS of German spam - probably more German than English. If I see "Dresden Bombing Is To Be Regretted Enormously" again... (shaking fist ineffectually)

That's so weird. I'm getting LOTS and LOTS of German spam - probably more German than English. If I see "Dresden Bombing Is To Be Regretted Enormously" again... (shaking fist ineffectually)

Most of Australia got it too.

That was a great pic in Random Musings, lemming! Cool view.

I'm sure the cat thing will be a good foot in the door there when something opens up in IT.

HR said as much. They have a real need in Cats right now anyway. Under staffed as it is.

Best Friends is actually where several films have been shot. I'll have to see if I can get a shot in the morning of the Lone Ranger rock.

I also have a ton of cat pictures. :D

Odd. No German spam for me. But I'm glad I checked, there was an important email in my Spam bucket. Time to retrain I think.

Hm. My hotmail was filled with German spam, too. An an inexplicable spam titled, "The whore lived like a German."

Don't suppose anyone can wrap their mind around that one enough to tell me what the mentality could POSSIBLY have been for that subject line?

(I didn't open it. Some spambots can tell if you've opened their mail.)

Hm. My hotmail was filled with German spam, too. An an inexplicable spam titled, "The whore lived like a German."

Don't suppose anyone can wrap their mind around that one enough to tell me what the mentality could POSSIBLY have been for that subject line?

(I didn't open it. Some spambots can tell if you've opened their mail.)

I've seen a lot of those. And they actually go to a legit site on Spiegel magazine about Muslim women murdered for acting Western in Germany.

I got German Spam on my work account, which was very odd as the work filters are usually quite effective. Haven't seen any at home which is odd since Hotmail and Yahoo! are both more than happy to sell my address to any warm body.

I got German Spam on my work account' date=' which was very odd as the work filters are usually quite effective. Haven't seen any at home which is odd since Hotmail and Yahoo! are both more than happy to sell my address to any warm body.[/quote']

It was a new worm.

I'm always amazed to see people compaining about certain aspects of thier life instead of dropping to thier knees and thanking whatever god they believe in for those same things.

I complain about some stuff just to let me focus on what I need to adjust about.

I complain about some stuff just to let me focus on what I need to adjust about.

No, I'm refering to a conversation overheard on campus. Some girl was complaining about her child interfering with her going out on the weekends. Something that some couples spend thousands of dollars to get, this skank finds a burden.

No' date=' I'm refering to a conversation overheard on campus. Some girl was complaining about her child interfering with her going out on the weekends. Something that some couples spend thousands of dollars to get, this skank finds a burden.[/quote']

Ah. That style of complaint. She could sell the kid and really be able to party...

what?

Just imagine' date=' future advancements in genetic engineering and you can actually determine what flavor baby you get out of the vending machine.[/quote']

You can actually have your (or your partner's) sperm sorted now to get the gender you are after. It costs $3,500 or more per sort though.

Rant!

Here's the deal: I'm working on a gritty low-fantasy story (no idea on length. Just writing it until it stops). Its fanstasy because its set in a "different world," not because its filled with monsters and magic, or has a young ignorant male protagonists who just happen to have the key to all power that trumps the otherwise unstoppable villian, but still can't figure out the remakably beautiful, but virginally chaste because the author can't deal with sex heroine. Its a hard-boiled adventure story with intrigue, dubious protagonists who are mere mortals, not to mention a dollop of sex and a truckload of violence.

Here's the problem: almost every fantasy market out there, get this, requires the story include a strong dose of overt magic or otherworldliness. Ugh! First, the obvious question: why bloody why? Answer: we're marketing to fourteen year old males, jack. Second, more practical question: how do you create a coherent magic system that's meaningful to the plot and theme (a rough approximation of their words) when the plot and theme don't freaking need them in any way shape or form? Answer: 'cause magic's so coooooool.

This was the first idea I've had that is flowing out like a river during the spring thaw, too.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

To be frank, your writing for the wrong reason. I understand the compelling desire to write something that you hope can be published. But you should be writing the story because you have a story you want to write. Finding the market for it should be an after thought.