Musings on Random Musings

Kara Zor-El

Re: Musings on Random Musings

I have to vent after eating enchiladas and refried beans too. :yes::D

that's more of a biological weapon, much like in Scholock Mercenary when Dolt gets cloned and uses "biological" weapons, like his crap is plastic explosives and he pees flame thrower....

Yeah, explosion...not vent ;)

What's worse than a loop? I get on a traffic loop or circle and I can never figure how to get out.

Stay to the outside, and remember the traffic coming into the rotary (which is what we call them in MA) is supposed to yield to you. Be prepared to honk your horn.

Stay to the outside' date=' and remember the traffic coming into the rotary (which is what we call them in MA) is supposed to yield to you. Be prepared to honk your horn.[/quote']

Incoming traffic is supposed to yeild? I don't think most drivers have gotten that memo.

Incoming traffic is supposed to yeild? I don't think most drivers have gotten that memo.

No, they haven't, which is why you just hold one hand over your horn while you're on a rotary. Press every time it looks like someone's ignoring the friggin' yield signs, or if they're trying to move outside while you're there.

It's worked for me, so far. I got my license in MA, didn't move out until 2 years ago, and never got into an accident on a rotary.

I prefer them to having to wait through 6 sets of lights at complicated intersections . . .

There are several spots in Asheville that would benefit from a rotary, if people could just figure out how to use them. They've been proven to cause fewer accidents and keep traffic flowing FAR better than lights, after the initial adjustment period.

I prefer them to having to wait through 6 sets of lights at complicated intersections . . .

There are several spots in Asheville that would benefit from a rotary, if people could just figure out how to use them. They've been proven to cause fewer accidents and keep traffic flowing FAR better than lights, after the initial adjustment period.

What, is the "initial adjustment period" a Darwinian thing, then? :D

What's worse than a loop? I get on a traffic loop or circle and I can never figure how to get out.

My first encounter with them was over 20 years ago in Scotland, where they call them "roundabouts", IIRC. At first, I thought they were one of the great stupid ideas of all time...but I rapidly learned to love them. One of my disappointments when returning to the U.S. was being reminded we didn't have them here.

Now, many years later, it seems as if they are beginning to make an appearace state-side, for which I am grateful. In fact, here locally, we had one troublesome intersection replaced with a roundabout a few months ago. I like that intersection much better now, where I used to dread it before. :)

If I encountered traffic circles more often than once a year, I'd probably like them also. As it is, the only time I encounter one is going to a particular friend's house in Lacey for their annual Labor Day barbeque, where a circle is the next-to-last direction change before arriving at their place. It takes me a while to haul unused stuff out of deep storage, kinda like how you always fishtail your car a bit after the first snowfall because you've forgotten how to take accelerations as slow as they need to be.

My first encounter with them was over 20 years ago in Scotland, where they call them "roundabouts", IIRC. At first, I thought they were one of the great stupid ideas of all time...but I rapidly learned to love them. One of my disappointments when returning to the U.S. was being reminded we didn't have them here.

Now, many years later, it seems as if they are beginning to make an appearace state-side, for which I am grateful. In fact, here locally, we had one troublesome intersection replaced with a roundabout a few months ago. I like that intersection much better now, where I used to dread it before. :)

XTC has a pretty good song about roundabouts.

We have a few little roundabouts scattered throughout residential areas here and there.

As to Cancer's post just above, some rotaries are simply poorly designed, which can cause problems.