Old version of Star Hero

paigeoliver

Can anyone point me a place online where I can buy the OLD Star Hero, not the 5th edition one.

I have had no problem finding just about all the other old Hero stuff, except for this, doesn't even appear to exist in the Amazon of Half.com databases, I can't seem to find a retailer stocking it either, although I admit it is difficult to search for, since it has the same name as the current product.

Re: Old version of Star Hero

Here are a few other established online dealers in used games that I've had good experiences with. Between them and Noble Knight, one of them is bound to get it in eventually (although unfortunately, none of them have it now):

http://www.titangames.com

http://www.dragonstrove.com

http://www.sentrybox.com

http://www.levalet.com

Frankly, though, I wouldn't recommend going out of my way to buy this book. With all due respect to the authors, it was IMHO a somewhat lackluster effort. The setting it presented was not all that original and lacked a lot of detail. Its ruleset was rather limited, being specifically tailored to the preconceptions of the setting; moreover it predates 4E HERO and doesn't integrate all that well with the unified HERO System.

I'll wholeheartedly reccomend the FREd Star Hero. It's very comprehensive and broad-based. An excellent example of what Steve and Darren are trying to accomplish with the direction of the new edition. It reminds me in several ways of some of the better-done GURPS supplements in where a lot of the advice is rules-light. A great resource for sci-fi roleplaying.

I'll wholeheartedly reccomend the FREd Star Hero. It's very comprehensive and broad-based. An excellent example of what Steve and Darren are trying to accomplish with the direction of the new edition. It reminds me in several ways of some of the better-done GURPS supplements in where a lot of the advice is rules-light. A great resource for sci-fi roleplaying.

Concur! Star Hero and Fantasy Hero are two of the best "world-building" books for gamers. They far transcend their utility to just the Hero system.

Keith "Shameless shill" Curtis

Star Hero was the worst of the pre-4th edition standalone games. It was poorly organized and included a starship construction system that was incompatible with either the Champions II vehicle rules or the Robot Warriors mecha design system. It's mostly rules with not much in the way of genre advice or setting info. There were a couple of good bits in it. A couple. And one of those is reprinted on Bob Greenwade's web site. (The other was a kinda neat vector movement system for Hero.)

It came out only a few months before 4th edition; IMO they would have been better off waiting until after 4th edition and making it a supplement. (If I recall correctly, I picked it up after I knew the 4th edition revision was coming.)

It's really only worth having for obsessive completeness' sake. Honest. The other pre-4th edition books all are worth having for their own sakes and even still potentially useful, but Star Hero isn't.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally snagged one, and man I REALLY had to lay out the CASH for it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=5928190611

$1

Paid $6 with shipping.

As to WHY I would buy the old stuff when I don't have the current stuff it is simple. I stretch my money and old version media is 80 percent cheaper than NEW media. I buy old everything.

As an owner of both I think you are crazy. There's a damaged copy in the online store for $25. Now granted that's still 4-5x more than what you paid but it is 10-100x more useful. The old star hero really doesn't get you much except an adventure.

But, to each his own. If it works for you, great.

If anyone else is looking for a copy, let me know. I will gladly sell mine and it is near new. $10, shipping included anywhere in the continental US.

theres always the old playtest draft of Star Hero which last I looked was still on the Red October site' date=' it had some useful if dated stuff in it[/quote']

It was a crying shame that ICE never published that. It's a very good manuscript, far superior to the pre-4E edition, and would have greatly enhanced HERO sci-fi gaming. Still not as good as the current one, but IMO equal to 4E Fantasy HERO.

I have to agree with almost everything that's been said here. If you are using the 5E rules, you will get practically nothing of real worth from it. In fact, I (almost) disagree with only one thing so far:

Star Hero was the worst of the pre-4th edition standalone games.
If you're going to be picky on the "pre-4th edition" standard' date=' then okay. Otherwise, I would respectfully submit [i']Cyber Hero[/i] as the all-time worst book put out for the old edition. Blech. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth just thinking about it...

First of all, to each his own.

That being said, Cyber Hero was the one (and only!) book I ever bought for Hero that I couldn't steal anything from for my game. Nothing! Kazei 5 was just so much better in so many ways. Cyber Hero was a huge disappointment, especially since I love the Cyberpunk genre.

4E Star Hero runs a close second. There were (literally) one or two good ideas I ripped off from it for my games. But everything else just felt so poorly done, it was a letdown. The playtest draft I saw online a while ago was a huge improvement, but still can't hold a candle to the magnificence that is the 5E Star Hero rules.