If Champions didn't exist...

nexus

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: If Champions didn't exist...

Pulsar Games has new owners and some interesting plans for next year so MEGS would most-likey be what I'd be playing. Marvel Superheroes was fun too but a little too simplistic. I tried playing M&M a couple of times but it really didn't seem to fit for me. I don't care for Tri-stat at all.

Probably Marvel Super Heroes (the FASERIP version). Or V&V. It was my favorite before Champions came along (not that we had a lot of choices back then, it was basically V&V, Superhero 2044, and the modified version of Gamma World I invented in high school).

I've never really come across a superhero RPG system I liked, except for Champions/HERO. All the others seem to have a set of assumptions about the setting and tone, and try too hard to encode a certain "genre feel" into the rules. You either play with their assumptions, or start editing the rules.

Guest WhammeWhamme

...I wouldn't be playing a supers roleplaying game.

I probably wouldn't be a roleplayer at all. Well... okay, I might be playing something 'else'. Dragon Warriors maybe...

Now, if 5th had merely never come out... no change.

I was hardcore Fantasy before Champions. I REALLY had problems with the D&D system, but hadn't found another game that I liked enough (and had enough support/products to make it worth while). If Champions wasn't around I would still probably be playing D&D (egads) or some other fantasy system.

I would have to go with Superworld. I bought a copy of the Worlds of Wonder version when it came out, so it was available. Its system was nice, clean and simple, so I might have actually been willing to play it.

Of course, Superworld itself owes a bit of a debt to Champions, but it's still quite likely that Chaosium would have published a superhero RPG even without the success of Champions.

Hmm... roads less travelled...

Same as I use now: GURPS. Of course' date=' if Champions didn't exist then GURPS probably wouldn't be recognizable. They do owe (and acknowledge) a big debt to HERO.[/quote']

Yuppers. With each new edition, GURPS is looking closer and closer to the Hero System Rules. I wouldn't be surprised if DOJ filed a lawsuit in the near future.

Mags

Yuppers. With each new edition, GURPS is looking closer and closer to the Hero System Rules. I wouldn't be surprised if DOJ filed a lawsuit in the near future.

Mags

The two games evolved from the same sources, and are now trying to do the sme basic things. No one involved has much money. A lawsuit will happen two days after never. ;)

Nightlife, Ace! Agents, and Super-Ace! Agents, all by Stellar Games. Comedy Horror and Super Hero Games that owed more to D&D than Champions. Maybe GURPS, if it had evolved at all. I like Tri-Stat and Aberrant, but I doubt either could have existed without Champions (Steve Long even worked on Aberrant).