Should the 5th CU have a "Euro Guard"?

Hermit

Euro Star is bad news.

Very bad.

Eurostar also chiefly operates in Europe. They're a ruthless, powerful, effective group of super human psycho paths bent on uniting Europe the hard way under Fiacho... IIRC.

It only makes sense that the various super heroes of Europe would oppose them. Much of Europe has big dreams of true cooperation and perhaps more under the European Union, so, do you think they'd assemble an organized group of super heroes from various European nations to stand against a super terrorist group that boasts how it "wrecks economies"?

What would it be called (Using "Euroguard" but obviously other names might apply)

How do you think it would be set up and run?

Where would be a good place to base it?

And do you think it's a good idea in the 'official' champions U, since we're getting "Champions: Worldwide" and such soon? :)

And I swear I've seen the term "Euroguard" before on these boards, I just can't remember who runs it. Apologies to whoever, no disrespect intended.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Should the 5th CU have a "Euro Guard"?

I think that this would be a very logical development for the EU, not only as a response to Eurostar and other European super threats, but because the high-profile symbolism of a supergroup would be just the sort of thing that the EU would want to use to promote their agenda of European unification. OTOH I would still expect the major European states to have official state supers, if not whole superteams, to secure their "sovereignty." I wouldn't be surprised if the EU team was frequently hindered by the conflicting priorities of their multinational masters.

"Euroguard" was actually just such a team in the 4E Champions Universe. While the group was mentioned in the first edition Champions Universe book the individual members were never named IIRC, and certainly not statted. Aaron Allston also mentioned a similar group in his Strike Force world, called AEGIS ("Allied European Government Independent Superheroes"). I've adopted AEGIS as the name for the official EU team in my own campaign, having exchanged "Independent" for "Integrated." Like Aaron's group mine is based in Switzerland - with its central location and history of neutrality it seemed appropriate.

I think that this would be a very logical development for the EU, not only as a response to Eurostar and other European super threats, but because the high-profile symbolism of a supergroup would be just the sort of thing that the EU would want to use to promote their agenda of European unification. OTOH I would still expect the major European states to have official state supers, if not whole superteams, to secure their "sovereignty."

"Euroguard" was actually just such a team in the 4E Champions Universe. While the group was mentioned the individual members were never named IIRC, and certainly not statted. Aaron Allston also mentioned a similar group in his Strike Force world, called AEGIS ("Allied European Government Independent Superheroes"). I've adopted AEGIS as the name for the official EU team in my own campaign, having exchanged "Independent" for "Integrated."

While I like AEGIS, I see two issues with the name. 1) The connection to the American naval defensive radar/computer/weapon system. 2) The Turks not wanting to be part of anything named after a greek myth. The second being the bigger issue actually.

That aside, the other thing is that if they are a "second rate" team, their debut against Eurostar might also be their finale.

So Hermit...is this going to turn into a Civil Guard style thread? (Hint, hint) as I'm sure I could come up with someone interesting, after all, Europe has all that History just laying around and all. ;)

So Hermit...is this going to turn into a Civil Guard style thread? (Hint, hint) as I'm sure I could come up with someone interesting, after all, Europe has all that History just laying around and all. ;)

Well, that wasn't my intent per se, though that could surely be done. After all, partially I'm asking about what we want in the official CU, so what we put here wouldn't exactly count... buuuut... that's certainly a possibility. :)

I would agree with Oddhat that most countries would save the "A" heroes for national teams.

This has all the makings for a campaign a la JLA Antartica.

Any super team with G'Nort as their primary "muscle" character is always fun.

Doomed to hell, but fun.

"Yeah, guys, G'Nort here. Look, when I got The Ring the Guardians also gave me an instruction manual. Seems like I left it on the satalite. Is there any way you guys could fax it down to JLA Antartica HQ?"

And for the European team, call them the Preatorian Guard and base them out of Rome. ;)

I would find it hard to see the EU running their own group of superheroes, considering the fact that they failed to implement a multi-national EU army the last time around...

If it did exist, it would most CERTAINLY conflict with national interests. France and Germany would be politicking for joint control, Poland and the other East European countries would try to elevate themselves from the secondary status they currently hold, while the UK tries to hold everything together, believing [incorrectly?] that its still the leading nation in the entire EU. It would take a lot of research to loosen all the knots surrounding the mystery known as the EU, but the possibilities are, to say the least, interesting.

Some EU countries might not hold back their best heroes from a combined team simply because a nation having the best/toughest/most respected member on the EU team would enhance that nation's international prestige. So some nations would probably send their very best; while others might send a politically asute and/or reliable hero.

Things can get pretty complicated once you involve politics. :eg:

Some EU countries might not hold back their best heroes from a combined team simply because a nation having the best/toughest/most respected member on the EU team would enhance that nation's international prestige. So some nations would probably send their very best; while others might send a politically asute and/or reliable hero.

*Nods* Yeah, I was thinking that on the drive home. They might not send their VERY best, but let's say you have Superman and Green Lantern in your bullpen. Well, Supes guards the home front and GL waves the flag.

Ever watch the show "Yes, Prime Minister"? :)

I like the idea of a politically active Super, on the wrong side of the ruling government in some dispute, getting sent to the EU super team as a way of nerfing his political ambitions. ;)

"It's a great honor for you Doctor Avalon, a great honor! You'll do your country proud. And in five years, well, of course you'll be able to run for office again. Well, ten years, if the PM decides that the country is best served by keeping you out there."

And the very first priority for Euroguard would obviously be the destruction of Eurostar.

There are IIRC about 18 nations in the EU including candidate members. If every country in the EU sends a 350 point super to join Euroguard, Eurostar is going to be in serious trouble. Mentalla might be a powerful mentalist, but what if Euroguard has 4 mentalists? Six bricks? 5 energy projectors? Two good martial artists?

And the very first priority for Euroguard would obviously be the destruction of Eurostar.

There are IIRC about 18 nations in the EU including candidate members. If every country in the EU sends a 350 point super to join Euroguard, Eurostar is going to be in serious trouble. Mentalla might be a powerful mentalist, but what if Euroguard has 4 mentalists? Six bricks? 5 energy projectors? Two good martial artists?

Or, on the flip side:

The UK sends Doc Avalon, one of the great heroes of WWII, now a serious political rival of the PM. He was once a 540 point hero, but years of too much brandy and not enough exercise have left him with a serious weight problem and greatly reduced Dex. He has forgotten more than most heroes will ever know about combat, the result being that he now knows much less than most heroes about combat.

France sends Lola, a speedster and martial artist and a national heroine. However, she refuses to learn English for reasons of national pride, or to respond when spoken to in that language, and is therefore absolutely incapable of communicating with her team.

Italy sends Augustus, a Superman Level brick. Due to his tendency to loudly declare "I am invincible when facing anything save the collor yellow", almost every crook in Europe now carries yellow bullets.

Germany sends Der Krieghund, with his amazing power to speak with Dogs. He can also call local dogs to his aid, and turn into a large dog. None of these dogs have any special powers; they're just dogs.

And so on. ;)

Guest WhammeWhamme

I would find it hard to see the EU running their own group of superheroes, considering the fact that they failed to implement a multi-national EU army the last time around...

If it did exist, it would most CERTAINLY conflict with national interests. France and Germany would be politicking for joint control, Poland and the other East European countries would try to elevate themselves from the secondary status they currently hold, while the UK tries to hold everything together, believing [incorrectly?] that its still the leading nation in the entire EU. It would take a lot of research to loosen all the knots surrounding the mystery known as the EU, but the possibilities are, to say the least, interesting.

It'd be a bit easier. You only need to have 18 (?) individuals who can work together... many of whom might actually want to form said team on their own.

Or, on the flip side:

The UK sends Doc Avalon,

France sends Lola,

Italy sends Augustus,

Germany sends Der Krieghund,And so on. ;)

And tiny Moldavia sends Omniman, who has the combined powers of any teammates that agree to let him copy them. But since he's only from tiny Moldavia, getting them to agree is a bit tricky.

SKJAM!

proditor the name isnt really a problem

1/its not a problem if its an american defense system that sort of name use is fairly common

2/Turkey is not a member of the EU yet so when they do join they can complain but teh probably won't because they will be getting big development grants.

mind you as i've already used it for my english team i'll stick with euroguard or come up with something else

I don't think finding a small number of European Superheroes who would like to represent the European Union all that unlikely. It's just not the same kind of issue as dealing with fishing rights or a common currency. The European Union has accomplished quite a bit considering they are doing something that has NEVER been done before.

Isn't it really UNITY's purpose to be the Euroguard? I see them as working almost exclusively in Europe where there are far fewer superheroes. I would agree with Oddhat that most countries would save the "A" heroes for national teams.

The European team could be affiliated with the European Union which would give them a different set of agenda and responsibilities.

proditor the name isnt really a problem

1/its not a problem if its an american defense system that sort of name use is fairly common

2/Turkey is not a member of the EU yet so when they do join they can complain but teh probably won't because they will be getting big development grants.

mind you as i've already used it for my english team i'll stick with euroguard or come up with something else

You're right, I was getting stuck on all the NATO issues over the years.