Susano

Re: Supervillain Motivation Made Simple

"I'm right, and I'll do whatever it takes."

"You're either with us or against us."

"I am the sword of G_d."

"You think you're better than me!"

"Want it!"

"Crawl for me."

If you plan to steal, rape, torture, or murder, the first step is block any sympathy for your victim, often by replacing it with rage. Seeing your victim as an outsider, as an "other" and therefore not as human as you and yours, makes this process far easier. The key to Evil is to lack empathy.

(Villain referring to self) "Talent on loan from God."

Al Quaeda. The Taliban. Islamic Jihad. Hamas. The Crusaders. The Inquisition. Witch Hunters. Many white supremicist groups. Son of Sam. Aum Divine Truth.

There is never a shortage of villains who think that they are doing the work of G_d.

"I'm right, and I'll do whatever it takes."

"You're either with us or against us."

"I am the sword of G_d."

"You think you're better than me!"

"Want it!"

"Crawl for me."

Oh, I thought you were listing off the names of Spinal Tap albums, my bad.

RE "To do what you wilt shall be the whole of the law" was attributed to the Great Beast' date='Aliester Crowley,so it's really THE villainous motivation.[/quote']

Crowley made the straight-laced victorian era English nervous, so they demonized him. One method they used was to assign him the name "the Great Beast" and another was to judiciously snip bits out of what he was saying and present them alone and out of context.

The "Do as thou wilt" line is snipped from context saying, basically, 'so long as it is doesnt harm anyone, and is done out of love"

To describe Crowley as "evil" gives him far too much credit.

He was a repressed child and spent his entire adulthood thumbing his nose at his society with rediculous, melodramatic rituals with no content whatsoever. That latter part, at least, he shares with many of his ilk, including LeVay.

I can not remember where I saw this on the internet, but I recall an article where a lady wrote that one chief difference between a super hero and a supervillain was this.

The superhero has been through tragedy and loss and says "I will make sure this never happens to anyone else ever again."

The supervillain has been through tragedy and loss and says, "I will make sure this never happens to ME ever again."

I found it pretty insightful.

The superhero has been through tragedy and loss and says "I will make sure this never happens to anyone else ever again."

The supervillain has been through tragedy and loss and says, "I will make sure this never happens to ME ever again."

There's also the hero who simply wants to help others for altruistic reasons and the villain who's so self-centered that he doesn't care how he hurts others.

Then there are those sad, sad reasons to become a villain

"I look good in black."

"Ah man, how come good girls fall for bad guys so often? I... hey, super powers... hmmmm..."

"Well, it started with about 17 unpaid parking tickets and snowballed from there."

"Everyone else was doing it.... and yeah I'd jump off the bridge, I FLY now!"

"Well, it started with about 17 unpaid parking tickets and snowballed from there." (snipped to just this)

Although there are tragic situations of strange snowballing from relatively minor crimes, I should steal this one in a more comic way. Good idea!