Crisis of Infinite Boredom

Hermit

"I'm bored," Bruiser said, not for the first time. The big guy glanced around the base's central room wondering if anyone was listening anymore. Sprite, their diminutive winged team mate was doing loop de loops for no apparent reason. Furnace had taken off her armor's helmet and was making some touches to the wiring, even though Bruiser was sure it wasn't necessary. Shadowhawk had his heels kicked up and eyes half closed.

"Really bored...", Bruiser hinted again.

Finally, Shadowhawk's eyes opened, "Yes, we KNOW You're bored. There's no crime today, okay? If there were, don't you think Scout would be warning us?"

Scout, of course, was absent. The lull of action was bad enough for Bruiser, who loved to fight, but Scout, like many speedsters, felt the world was too slow even when they did have things to do. No doubt he went out on constant patrol just to keep from climbing the walls.

"Maybe the mayor needs us?" Bruiser suggested.

"Already called; He's delighted to say he doesn't," Furnace replied dryly, as she adjusted a circuit, "Why don't you go to the training room and work out some aggression if you're bored?"

"Because I've been there three times today. Those wussy robots can't satisfy me..." Bruiser began to protest.

Sprite snickered at that.

"You KNOW what I mean, squirt," Bruiser grumbled at the micro sized hero before turning back, "Maybe we can go looking for a VIPER nest or something?"

"Where would you start? Besides, they may not even have one set up yet. We tore down their last one just a few months ago," Shadowhawk replied, "Look, I'm bored too. But saying you're bored over and over isn't going to help anything."

Furnace sighed, "Look, if both of you are so bored, why not go home? We don't LIVE in these costumes you know? Secret Identities and all? Well, okay, Bruiser does... but you have a wife"

Shadowhawk mulled it over and pondered returning to his normally loving wife. He also recalled she seemed to be at the stage of her pregnancy where anything male was the enemy, and that went DOUBLE for him. He shuddered.

"Ah, no thanks," S.H. said, "And what about you, Furnace? You've checked and double checked your suit of armor. You've GOT to be bored."

Furnace was indeed bored, but her own apartment was empty, and ever since she'd stumbled onto that juvenile fan fic about her on those forums she liked, her taste for the internet had dimmed, "Fine, let's find SOMETHING to do."

"Right," Bruiser smiled, "Let's go beat up some jaywalkers!"

They gave him a look.

"Hey," The mammoth man shrugged, "It's a crime, right?"

They gave him another look.

Bruiser sulked, "Okay, FINE... got any better ideas?"

Re: Crisis of Infinite Boredom

Pardon the fiction.... I guess I got bored :)

Anywho, I'm sure the above scenerio doesn't get played much if ever. I mean, super heroes are all about the action or at least the drama... or at least it seems so. Still, anyone ever run something where the whole plot was that NOTHING was going on just to see if anything came of it?

What do you think your characters (PC or NPC) DO in a lull?

The Defenders, back when we played face to face, once sat around the base for a couple of entire sesseions, talking to NPCs, dealing with personal issues (Nightwing's child from his fling with their government liason, Harlequin trying to figure the mysteries of the washing machine. Jane needed help with her homeworkd, etc etc). It was fun for a change of pace.

Pardon the fiction.... I guess I got bored :)

Anywho, I'm sure the above scenerio doesn't get played much if ever. I mean, super heroes are all about the action or at least the drama... or at least it seems so. Still, anyone ever run something where the whole plot was that NOTHING was going on just to see if anything came of it?

Hell's Angel is a novelist in her real identity. She'll write. There's always more to do. She's also a net junkie, so when she's not writing, she's netsurfing and chatting online with friends or reading fanfic sites. Filling her free time is not a problem for her.

Assault would, of course, go to the pub and find people to talk to.

If he was feeling conscientious, he would go to an underworld pub, and take advantage of his ridiculously high perception rolls.

Or he'd watch TV, read a book(!) or even go shopping...

The pub (brawl) option would probably be the one he would use in play. :)

Rock Bottom, after exhausting all his other duties, would go off to the library and find a book or three he hasn't read yet. "Knowledge is power!"

Calculus: Surprise inspection of one of the convenience stores he's the regional manager for. It not only amuses him, but the "could show up at any moment" tactic keeps people from wondering where he is when he's in hero mode.

Mask of Justice: Interview someone for a fluffy "human interest" story. Just because he's a crime reporter doesn't mean he can't do pieces on cute kittens and such on a slow news day.

Kira Midori: "Let's go shopping!" Death glares for anyone who says "typical woman."

Talion: Combing the personals in an (vain) attempt to find a woman who'd want to date him.

Heh. Our group always has so many loose ends dangling I don't think we could be bored if we tried. And though he's never said it aloud, Dr. Anomaly has thought to himself "I wonder what it's like to be bored?" :) (Though that thought was while he was contemplating all his various scientific and magical research projects, not the group's dangling loose ends.)

I'm not sure Irving's capable of being bored-- after all, it took him a century to decide to wake up and start looking around. He'd probably be happy just to go into Central Park and listen to street entertainers, have long discussions with soapbox ranters, watch the chess players...

Quasar - Being a husband, father, MIT Physic Professor and Team Leader of the Boston Hero's League, Quasar hasn't been bored in years.

If he ever did get some free time, he'd spend it contemplating the unified field theory.

Mystica - ALSO a professor (Para-Physics at Millennium City University), Mystica keeps busy with her research, as well as teaching seminars on combating mystical threats to feberal, state and local law enforcement agencies. That, plus a health mix of Hunted by Demon and Hunter of Demon, keeps her much too busy to be bored.

But she has often dreamed of spending a rainy Saturday afternoon curled up with a bottle of wine and a romance novel...

Shadowhunter - The Hunter's boss (the FIRST Shadowhunter) keeps him on a tight leash - Training, patrols, recon, shadowing, crack house assaults, gang busting, villain takedowns, more training... Sometimes all Shadowhunter wants to do is skip out and got a movie. But duty always calls...

Bengal would probably rummage through garbage cans for something to eat- he has no fixed address nor job outside of bloodthirsty vigilante. The concept of "going on patrol" has multiple meanings for him.

My martial artist/detective is a lawyer, so there's always casework to get to.

Multi-Man could go play five-on-five basketball.

Doppler/Fastman (that's his whole name) is usually bored, so it doesn't really matter.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Hrm.

Rook has a mission. As of now, he has many skills on his sheet he's yet to learn... bored? Not any time soon. Still, in the distant future, when bored could strike... he'll either switch into inquisitor mode (I know one of you will do it...!) or (if extending some trust) go for a bit of a casual fight.

Flippant doesn't bore too easily, and can spend hours doing repetitive physical activities anyway (not a power, just personality), so he'd probably just end up a mite fitter.

Estatua... hrm. Good question. He's not a 'downtime' kind of guy, especially with all new superspeed. (The name "statue" is somewhat ironic). If there was nothing a public spirited super hero could do to help people... in... South... America... yeah, not happening. He'd move on to community works if there happened to be nothing "Super" to worry about.

Ghost and downtime. Hmm. Frankly, she's just trying to survive. She'd probably look for company - she's quite lonely.

Android and downtime. Well... that's up to Gadget. Assuming she's bored too, he'll probably find himself either being experimented with (not like THAT... er, well, okay, that's a possibility too), or at any of a number of things a bored teenage girl supergenius might want... uh, GM... please don't do this to him too soon... he likes being in working order. :D

Silyione and downtime. Boredom would indicate something like being stuck somewhere while someone tries to create a portal home (otherwise she'd be trying to get somewhere with that), so in that case she'd try and collect data for the Hive. After all, she'll have to report back...

Division and downtime. He's a police officer (actually, seven). So this would mean he'd be temporarily _taken_ off duty for some reason. So much angst, moping, womanizing, and 3 on 3 basketball with one of himselves keeping score. :)

Cyrande: Is used to being bored. Would likely work on deciphering Earth customs, her powers, history study, or planning on her next conquest.

Nox: Cooks. If the team is bored enough not to have eaten everything in the base, well, she'll likely get dragged into a training session or forced to study.

Myrmidon, bored? Do you know how many projects he has going on that need tending? He'll be bored when he's dead.

Blur!! is bored constantly. Even in the middle of a fight, she's bored. Everyone around her moves so slow! "C'mon, can't you speed it up? Geez, if you don't punch me soon I'm going to go get a pizza or something while I wait! Let's go let'sgoletsgoletsgoletsgo!!!!!!" When there's nothing going on, she generally wanders around the city in her secret ID, trying to bum food off of people and looking for trouble.

Chevelier is often bored, but generally has a full social calendar so she uses it at will. "Is zere nothing going on today? Very well, a gentleman of my aquaintence has asked me to go on a skiing trip wiz him. You know my cellphone numbair. Unless ze villain attacks, you will see me next week. Have fun wizout me (as if such a zing were possible!)."

Bill.

Centurion: "Are you nuts? I run a Fortune 25 corporation, not 500, 25. I'm ruler of the Hong Kong city-state, a founding member of Strike Force: Boston, overall Strike Force Commander, a Nobel-prize winning scientist and happily married father of three so far. I had to give up my post as SF:B Team Leader when my daughter Katie was born for lack of time and consider the 30 hour day to be my greatest invention. Who has the time to be bored?

Patriot: "Boredom just means the bad guys are sneaking around preparing something nasty. That's when it's time to do a little legwork, find out what it is and nip it in the bud before good Americans get caught in the crossfire."

Nighthawk: "Boredom really never becomes an issue when you're a crimefighter in Hudson City."

Old Glory: So, explain this to me again Professor...

What proof do you actually have that the light does indeed go out when you shut the door of the refrigerator? How do you know that it is not some propaganda spead by Viper, or perhaps even the Nazis to distract us from their ultimate plan?

Professor: And, pray tell...what would that "ultimate plan" be Old Glory?

Old Glory: Why, total control of the entire SPAM supply, denying good and wholesome food for everyone!!! What else could it be?

Professor: :slap:

The closest I've come to this as a player was once in a chatroom game when the GM hadn't given us enough clues to figure out what was going on. After I got bored with the constant rehashing, I declared that my brick Samson was doing macrame with the fire irons.

As a GM, I don't think I've ever done something like this, but it might be interesting.

When I used to play with a different group, when we would sometimes be "in a lull" we would go out clubbing (in our secret IDs, of course). Sometimes there would be a small plot seed with it and other times it would be just for fun. Every once in a while, the GM would do this if we the players started becoming stressed with either one another or after several difficult adventures. We would usually have a once a year event where we would go to another PC's home and have an all-day party there.

There was this time though, when the base was empty and my character got out a mop and bucket and cleaned the floors.