Queer Eye for the Superhero Guy

Mutant for Hire

Okay, the rules of this thread are very simple. Take a superhero, and despite the thread title it doesn't have to be a male superhero (we're not requiring the posters to be gay either) and give them a makeover. Heroes with especially tacky or tasteless outfits are given preference. Let's go where we're needed the most, people.

I'll start with Doctor Strange. The man's outfit was clearly designed by a man on drugs. The colors are just garish and frankly while it does give an otherworldly fear, it makes him look like he's from Dimension Las Vegas. Is this the sort of look we want for our world's Sorceror Supreme? I don't think so.

Now while the trenchcoat and fedora look are good for the street savvy magician, I think that the Sorceror Supreme of Earth should be a cut above that. He should have an indication of style and class.

A good suit is timeless. Doctor Strange really needs to toss out his old costume for a really well tailored suit. Something that probably costs at least five figures to produce. Possibly European in cut, certainly made to order for him. As for the color, I tend to prefer a very dark shade. Given his profession, you want something that won't show dirt or blood easily.

As for the cape, likewise it should be a dark and matching color. The fasteners to hold it in place should be gold, of a simple but properly occult pattern. Matching cufflinks wouldn't be the worst idea there either. An occult pendant likewise of simple yet suitably elderitch style is also preferable, possibly something to symbolize his position.

No top hat or gloves. That's just a little over the top for me. A good suit and a dark cape and an occult pendant and he's ready to go.

The idea here is understated. Showing off is a sign of weakness and insecurity. The Sorceror Supreme is the most powerful magician on Earth. He does not need to show off to anyone. He's reached that level of power where he doesn't have anything to prove to anyone. So he should focus on a classy and stylish look with just a modest designation of his station and a few occult gestures here and there.

Comments?

Re: Queer Eye for the Superhero Guy

[effemenism on]

Oh...My...God. Hasn't Red and Blue been done to death? And could you put two worse colors together? First thing Spiderman needs to learn is that he's not Superman, so there's no need to mimick his color scheme. Next, he needs to head down to the mall and find out whether he's a winter or a summer.

While I'm a big fan of form fitting bodysuits, that web stitiching could be more tapered. It's like he sat at home and made the suit himself on his aunt's sewing machine or something.

What's more, how does the boy see out of that mask? He's got cloth over his eyes.

So the second thing is to find him a mask that makes his head look less round, then the villains won't think of him as pommegranate head, perhaps a mask that gives him some skin exposure. I bet the boy's got a rash or acne from all that coverup. Then you get him a nice pair of high end sunglasses that accent his face, like that handsome mister Summers fellow.

Now spiderman for a while wore a black and white outfit, and that's quite slimming. But I don't thin it's appropriate for anything other than late evening fighting. In mid day it seems a bit out of place.

[/effeminism off]

In Dr. Strange's 1st appearance he dressed straight and looked like an affluent '60's physician. However you apparently haven't seen his 1st super suit. It was tangerine, white and some cheap-to-print shade of purple. He also had a hat that looked like the toe of a jester's shoe. Now that was styling.

Well, there is a problem with the suit and cape root. It will make him look like he is a fashion wannabe, trying to steel the Phantom Stranger's style. Plus, the cloak and amulet are a bit of a problem, since it they are one of a kind items given to him by some one that he respects greatly. Getting him to part with them for all time may be difficult.

Hmmm... I not sure yet, how to improve his look. I'll have to think about it.

[effemenism on]

Oh...My...God. Hasn't Red and Blue been done to death? And could you put two worse colors together? First thing Spiderman needs to learn is that he's not Superman, so there's no need to mimick his color scheme. Next, he needs to head down to the mall and find out whether he's a winter or a summer.

While I'm a big fan of form fitting bodysuits, that web stitiching could be more tapered. It's like he sat at home and made the suit himself on his aunt's sewing machine or something.

What's more, how does the boy see out of that mask? He's got cloth over his eyes.

Just nitpicking here, but he doesn't have cloth over his eyes. The eyes of Spidey's mask are mirrored glass. He can see out but others can't see in. I'll stop nitpicking now.

I don't know what the Beast looks like now' date=' but I think he was very handsome in Earth X and Universe X.[/quote']

These are as of Morrison's run on the X-Men ... he still looks the same but he wears a pair of tight pants instead ...as in here

The Beast

New Beast Action Fig

Black Lightning needs pants! Even bellbottoms will do. No man-hero ought to be running around with a covered upper body and Speedos.

No no, you're thinking Black Vulcan from the old Superfriends show. The Black Lightning from the comic book wore pants.

Capes and cloaks are a bad thing, they get in the way, and lets not even talk about jet engine intakes and such... stolen from the incredibles

mind you I wear a half circle cloak with a fulll hood you could hide an M-60 under for SCA events and cons, so I should really talk

really awful uniforrms, how about the original Wolverine, yelllow and black, yuck

course whos going to tell him his costume is fugly

No no' date=' you're thinking Black Vulcan from the old Superfriends show. The Black Lightning from the comic book wore pants.[/quote']

I'm pretty sure neither of them did.

Which, if true, is about the strangest coincidence in all of comicdom.

I'm pretty sure neither of them did.

Which, if true, is about the strangest coincidence in all of comicdom.

No, Black Lightning definetly wore pants. Granted when the character started being published in the 70's they may not have been the most fashionable pants but he definetly had them. It was Black Vulcan who went without.

Capes and cloaks are a bad thing, they get in the way, and lets not even talk about jet engine intakes and such... stolen from the incredibles

Its weird that you should mention the whole perils of capedom. Ever since i read Alan Moores now classic The Watchmen I have never had a character with a cape since.

Alan Moore goes into some detail about costume design and one of the characters mentioned was Dollar Bill, he wore a cloak and while trying to stop a bank robbery got his cape tangled in the revolving door, the robbers shot him :(

My vote for a makeover would be Billy Batson/Shazam That gold cumberbund he wears around his beer belly whats that all about?