How Long to Learn Hero System?

Weird Ollie

Dear Hero System fanatics,

I just got my copy of the 5th edition rules last weekend, and I feel like I am cramming for an exam trying to learn it all! I mean no disrespect, I chose Hero System because I believe it to be the ultimate role playing game. It's a system that truly embraces all the genres I can think of, and that's important because I have very specific ideas about my campaign.

How long did it take you to become proficient with the Hero System? Did you learn it by playing, or did you study up on it before you even tested the waters of GMing? Though, most of you will be smarter and quicker to memorize rules than I am, so whatever you say, I'll still be just plodding along.

Even so, I'd like a general consensus on how long it takes a newbie to start running a Hero System game:)

By the way, have any of you written up Capcom's Nightwarriors/Darkstalkers for Hero System? I'd love to see what you came up with!

Hope to be a productive, contributing member to the forums some day. I'm working on converting Capcom's Felicia to Hero System, maybe I'll post the results when I'm finished:)

Regards,

Weird Ollie

Re: How Long to Learn Hero System?First off, let me say "Welcome, Ollie!"That having been said, "learning the HERO system" is a many-tiered system, at least, it was for me. I'm going to list what I think some seminal steps are as you travel the path from "Haha! I like D&D!" to "Yes, in fact, my name is Steve Long."

• The Idea: The first step towards mastery of the HERO System is understanding the idea. Points, Skills, Talents, Powers with Advantages and Limitations, Disadvantages. How the Speed Chart works (which is completely unlike Actions Per Turn that many other systems use). How a Skill Check and OCV/DCV work. Believe it or not, this can be a hard step for a lot of gamers used to classes, races, and systems built for genres.
  • The Book: After you know how HERO works, the next step is being able to find things in the book. Once you get there, you should be able to start contributing to the boards. It's perfectly valid to not know how Focuses work (one of the more popular Power Limitations), but you should at least know that it's a Limitation, which comes between Advantages and Disadvantages (which, oddly enough, have little to do with each other) and that the Limitations are listed in alphabetical order. Noone expects you to know that a Speed 4 character has Phases on Segments 3, 6, 9 and 12, but you should have an idea where to find the Speed chart. (In fact, I'd reccomend buying book tabs and marking important tables in the book, like the Speed Chart, the Time Chart, The Damage Classes, and a list of the Combat Maneuvers. Things like that.)
  • Confidence: Once you know where things are, the next step is, for lack of a better term, confidence. Confidence in two things - building and running. Confidence in building means knowing the games enough to construct outlines without the books. I was in a meeting the other day, and I was bored, so I started creating characters. I started creating a character with a Weather Staff. I knew it would be a Multipower, and I knew it would be built as an Obvious, Accessible Focus. I knew that one of the Multipower slots would be a Change Environment. I didn't remember how much Change Environment cost, but I knew basically what it did, and that it would be the appropriate Power to construct this particular special effect. So, when you can create characters like that, when you can create Powers like that, and know the difference between the Skills "Paramedic", "PS: Doctor", "SS: Anatomy", and "KS: Medicine", you're well on your way.The other kind of confidence is confidence in running. It's one thing to know what the Speed Chart is, and how to use it, it's another to be able to run a character without bogging down the game. This is especially important if you're GMing. If you are, run some simple combats against yourself. Start by creating two Combat-centric NPCs with no Martial Arts and no Powers. Just give them some Combat Skill Levels and some weapons, a few skills, a different Speed, different Stats, and have them beat the shit out of each other. And then start complicating it. Add Powers, and Multipowers, and coordinate attacks. All this is unnecessary if you have a HERO GM handy. If you can be a player, it comes with time; but if you have to dive in as a GM, then you have to practice against yourself.By the way, this is the level I feel I'm at.
  • Mastery: I assume that the next level is simple mastery. You know that a Killing Strike costs 4 Points, that the "No LOS Needed" adder for Mind Link costs 10 Points, and that Brace is a Zero-Phase Action, all off the top of your head. The rulebook is a reminder and a reference, but almost completely unnecessary. You write for Digital HERO, and Darren calls you to approve any changes in HERO policy.
  • Why, yes, my name is Steve Long: One day, Wizards on the Coast is going to set fire to the DOJ Games Secret World Headquarters, killing not only the entire HERO crew, but all their clones they had prepared in case something happened. In which case, someone's going to have to step up to the plate and write 6th Edition. And that could be you.

Now, I know I never actually answered your original question, how much time will this take? And for that, I apologize. Depends on your intelligence and dedication. But it will come. I just think these are some benchmarks to gauge your progress. I'm sure someone will add other steps, because HERO gamers only agree on how much they love the system, everything else is up in the air. But the above list is my current view.Again, welcome, good luck, and always go for the Stop Sign and Exclamation Point powers if your GM will let you.

Re: How Long to Learn Hero System?

Don't worry too much about "studying," Ollie -- after all, we want you to have fun. ;) It's been my experience that most people learn the system easiest and quickest by doing. That's certainly how I did it, lo these many years ago; a friend helped me make a character and then we started playing. If you don't have access to a F2F gaming group, either try to join a PBEM (where you'll have time to look things up as you need them) or just start creating abilities and characters. If you like, post your creations here for review and people will give you tips and pointers. Before you know it, you'll be HERO-ifying with the best of 'em. :hex:

A few other quick suggestions, off the top of my head:

--don't forget that the book has a big index. I tried to write it using both game terms and ordinary concepts, so you could more easily look things up -- I don't know how well I succeeded, but that's the intent, anyway. ;)

--start simple. Ignore some of the optional stuff (Optional Combat Maneuvers, Hit Locations, etc.) and secondary stuff (like the rules for environmental stuff in Ch. 3) until you get the basics down. Most things boil down to 3d6 roll low, and a lot of the mechanics for different things have similarities for ease of learning.

--the FAQ page has a couple of articles about working the the system that may prove helpful.

--if you like, I can send you a couple of Fantasy character sheets from my work-in-progress, Teach Yourself The HERO System. They're designed mostly for a learn-by-playing approach, but they might help you even if you just read them. If you're interested, send me a PM (or an e-mail to SteveL@herogames.com) with an e-mail address and I'll e-mail you a couple.

--ask questions! Hero has one of the friendliest, most enthusiastic group of fans around, and almost everyone is willing to help a newcomer learn. If you have specific rules questions, you're welcome to post 'em on the "Rules" board, where I'll answer them.

Guest Champsguy

To answer your question, it'll probably be a year or more before you're completely comfortable with the system. That'll also depend on how often you play. Don't let that amount of time scare you--I played for years without ever knowing everything about the game. If I have a question, I look it up.

For instance: let's say you want to play a fantasy warrior like Conan. Well, you need to know how the combat system works, but you don't need to know how Duplication works. Build a few characters you think you might want to play. Look up anything you need. Keep it simple at first (don't try and put 400 different advantages on a power). After a couple tries, you should have a basic grasp of the system.

It might take you about a week or so of tinkering with the system before you've got a decent grasp of it. The game rules themselves aren't hard, but there's so much info in the book that it will probably intimidate you at first. Think of the book like a dictionary or a set of encyclopedias. You don't have to read the whole thing.

I know this is going to seem strange, but don't worry about getting things right.

During play when a situation comes up andyou aren't sure what the rule is write down the question and then make up a ruling on the fly. Later after the game you can go back and fine out what the rule is.

When making a character don't worry about getting every little power and ability right. You can always learn the intricacies later. Get the main idea of the character and worry about the details later.

HERO, like any other game, can be a chore to learn. Also, like any othe game, it can take a while to master. Ask people on this list. Many of us here have been playing/GMing HERO for very long times. I myself have played it off and on for 20 years now and religously for about the last 10

I don't think Hero System is any more or less complicated to learn than any other rules system, and as such doesn't take any more or less time to learn. Different people learn at different rates and in different ways though, so try figuring it all out the same way you'd do with any other system.

The way I learned to play was joining an existing group full of relatively experienced players. I learned what I needed to play my character (which the GM wrote up for me) and that was it. In included the basics of the rules (skill and attack rolls, rolling damage, perception, initiative and pacing, etc.). Since I love to GM, I wanted to learn more, and bought the book and read. I learn best by doing, so I asked my GM if I could write up a new character that was completely unlike what I was currently running, and he said okay. I went though this process until I felf comfortable enough with the rules to run my own game.

Now, my first attempt at running Hero was crap. Then again, I had only been playing or a few months and tried to run a game with players who'd been playing for 15 years. I messed up a lot. But I learned from it. About a year later, I was comfortable running a game for new and experienced players and was running games at conventions. Which, for me, didn't take any longer than I have with any other system I bothered to learn.

Of course, not everyone can find a group of experinced players to play with. No problem finding a few friends who have an interest in learning the system with you. Learn together. Lacking that... go to a gaming convention and find some. Stick with a small group of you're the GM and still learning though. The fewer players you have the more time you have to talk about the rules together as you figure it out before you start testing someone's patience.

Pleestameetcha, Weird Ollie.

Hero doesn't take long to learn to play, you just need to know how to roll to hit or for skills and how to apply damage, which is no more complex than any other RPG.

What is harder than most is character generation as you can't really just follow a flowchart and apply dice results - you need to think about it. If you can, have a couple of games with an existing group to get you into it.

If not, I'd suggest using existing characters like The Champions to start with then experiment with character generation/customisation once you get an idea of the relative importance of different aspects of the character.

To be hosnest it is so long ago I can not really remember how long it took to learn - arguably (and many on these boards would argue this...) I'm not there yet! To learn to play enough to enjoy it though? Couple of evenings.

Guest WhammeWhamme

Dear Hero System fanatics,

I just got my copy of the 5th edition rules last weekend, and I feel like I am cramming for an exam trying to learn it all! I mean no disrespect, I chose Hero System because I believe it to be the ultimate role playing game. It's a system that truly embraces all the genres I can think of, and that's important because I have very specific ideas about my campaign.

How long did it take you to become proficient with the Hero System? Did you learn it by playing, or did you study up on it before you even tested the waters of GMing? Though, most of you will be smarter and quicker to memorize rules than I am, so whatever you say, I'll still be just plodding along.

Even so, I'd like a general consensus on how long it takes a newbie to start running a Hero System game:)

By the way, have any of you written up Capcom's Nightwarriors/Darkstalkers for Hero System? I'd love to see what you came up with!

Hope to be a productive, contributing member to the forums some day. I'm working on converting Capcom's Felicia to Hero System, maybe I'll post the results when I'm finished:)

Regards,

Weird Ollie

Well, I believe it was years before I actually started playing. I'd read a bunch of the 4th ed villain books and gotten the idea of how HERO did things. I'd committed vast chunks of HSR4 to memory. I'd built dozens of characters, some of them poorly...

...then I finally actually played the game.

Thing is, most of that was overkill. I was pretty much a guru before I ever played (not quite). To run a good HERO game, you don't actually need to know the rules. Most of the rules onus is on the players and whoever designs your NPCs.

I mean, you can take it upon yourself to lighten those loads (/build your own villains), but that's not essential.

I started with the HERO system when 4th edition was released, and no one in my game group had played a prior edition, so it was up to me to learn it and then GM it. I can't tell you how long it took, but it did take a while. I found it a fun while, though. :) I'd say give yourself a week of spending some time each evening looking over the basic rules (ignore anything listed as "optional" and ignore situational things like environment, weather effects, and so on). Try making some sample characters...of the the best ways to learn is by doing. Important: with the HERO system there's usually at least 3 ways and often a half-dozen or more ways to do basically the same thing. Each one will have slightly different reasons for doing it that way. The important lesson from this is that when you're trying to make some sample characters, don't worry about doing it the "right" way, because there is no one "right" way. Look over your basic choices and settle on a way to do it. You may come back to that concept a year from now and say "Boy, I should have done it this other way." That's fine...leave it to happen next year. Just pick something that looks or sounds right and go with it.

These forums are definitely the place to come for answers to questions. Other than the 5th Ed Rules Questions forum (run by the man himself, Steve Long) there are loads of friendly people here glad to offer explainations, suggestions, and advice. There are sample characters to look at to see how other people write things up. There's a huge FAQ brimming over with examples and details of how various Powers interact.

Just ask, and ye shall receive...probably more than you could or did want! :)

Can I offer a piece of hope? I started with HERO System either in the late 80's or earlier 90's. I've played it regularly ever since.

In some ways, I feel like I'm STILL learning the system.

My advice would be to go ahead and just *try* it. Start with a very simple scenario -- as simple as Orc & Pie if necessary (or the superhero equivalent, "Ogre & Bank"). HERO makes a lot more sense in play than when you're trying to figure the values out in your head. Stick to pregenerated characters at first, then with altered characters or some of the template systems I've seen floating around, and THEN try creating your own characters.

In fact, if you have the money to spare make one of the character-intensive supplments like CKC one of your next purchases. Put these characters through obtuse scenarios, almost like episodes of a cartoon. "Ogre, Utility, and Hornet need to find five objects hidden randomly around a city. What do you do?"

HERO puts a lot of the work up front, which means once you've done the preperation it's actually easier to use in-play than a lot of the allegedly "simpler" systems.

One other suggestion? Do not be afraid to ask questions. You will get differing opinions -- with HERO's flexibility, that's inevitable. With time and practice you'll find a balance that works for you, and that is what ultimately will matter.

I started playing this game nigh on 20 years ago (possibly more than that - I'm scared to count properly).

I learned by making characters and fighting them against each other - I copied comic book characters at first and tried to recreate them in Hero and fought them.

The I ran a game which was a disaster but had enough flashes of what was good about the system for me and my friends to have a Champions campaign for the next four or five years.

We all honed our design skills and even now are still finding new and better ways to do things. One of the best things about the system is that there is usually more than one way to do something and the best way is the one that plays best and most effectively recreates the desired effect.

Have fun learning the mysteries.

Doc

With 20+ years in the RPG hobby, my consistent approach to learning any game system when the entire group is new is fairly basic:

(a) The GM and anyone else interested reads through the rules. Once. Without a lot of review.

(B) The GM and anyone else intrerested re-reads key portions of the book that will impact them to get a basic grasp of any concepts that seemed confusing on first read. You might review basic combat, for example. Combat underwater or in zero gravity? Give it a bye.

© Players make characters. At this point, each player and the GM will certainly review the sections of the rules relevant to their characters. The rest can wait.

(d) GM starts the game rolling. When we get to something rules-oriented, look it up and play it through. You're all new, so everyone needs to slow down and learn the rules.

(e) As you play, you'll find a few things happen. You get more comfortable with the commonly used rules. You discover errors in the way you've been using some of the rules (OOPS! discuss as a group and decide how you'll play it in future). You'll encounter new situations which send you to sections of the rules you haven't used before, so you'll learn those rules. And you'll likely decide you don't like some of the rules - so decide as a group to change them.

Our group also used this approach when switching from D&D 2nd Ed to 3rd (and 3.5), and from Hero 4 to Hero 5 - when something happens, at least one player (likely one out of the action for the moment) looks up the rule and points out any changes, either while the game is in progress, or when the action is over so we don't make an error again.

The game runs a bit slower while all this is happening, but that's because everyone is learning the game. As long as everyone's having fun, who cares?

A key note here: Character design, scenario design and game play all predate thorough rules knowledge. Start the fun early - there's no prize for accurately adhering to the subtle rules from game 1. Don't be afraid to let players redesign their characters (or to redesign your NPC's) when your knowledge of the rules has improved. Don't even be afraid to say "OK, that's the 'learning experience' campaign - let's start a serious one now". But don't plan on that "pre-game/real game" - we set out with a "test game" for D&D 3.0. The test characters are about 10th level now, and no one's ready to retire them.

Oh, and the only rule you can't violate - in any system:

When you have to choose between the rules and the fun, the rules ALWAYS lose.

I think the main time limit is how much experiance you have running a game? That to me, is a seperate skill from knowing "Da rules"....if you start with Super heros (which is what I did) reality is so bendable that its really impossable to mess up rule wise...:) I started with hero with 1st edition, I was running two D&D and one Runequest games at the time.....I played as a character for two or three games, learning from both playing and observing the GM (who had never played Hero ) and then I started running Champions, and basicly never stopped...I haven't played or run a D&D game in at least 20 years, till my son wanted to try it. Don't get stressed if you're having fun and the players are having fun....it all good...:)

I guess I'd disagree a little with many of the above posts. I've only recently come to Hero System after 20 years or so with other gaming systems, and I'd definitely say there is a steaper learning curve with Hero System than just about any other system I've seen. This, of course, depends on your background. If you're mostly just used to class-based systems like D&D or the newer d20 variants, then you'll definitely have a bit of a time picking Hero System up. If you've played GURPS or another point-based system, then I suspect it will be less difficult. I'm not trying to imply that learning Hero is a full-time job or anything, just that it takes more work than most other systems you may be familiar with.

One of the biggest differences in running a Hero game that I found is that you really have to look over the player's characters before the game. This is true with any system, I think, but with D&D or such systems, there really is relatively little room for player abuse. With my last d20 Modern campaign I ran about a year ago, I glanced over the characters but it took no more than 30 seconds or so, just enough to see if there were glaring issues. The campaign went fine. With my recently-started Champions game, I glanced over the characters, then we went on to the scenario - and they proceeded to trounce the villain I threw against them who was actually supposed to be very tough. It was immediately obvious the characters were not balanced. So I spent at least an hour carefully looking over each sheet, looking up powers, limitations, etc., in the book, until I could tell the players how they had to adjust their characters. We went through multiple rounds of this, until finally they had characters that we were all happy with. And the campaign's been running reasonably smoothly since.

Having said all that, here are my suggestions for starting:

1) As others have said, give the rule book a good read through once. The point isn't to memorize the rulebook (if my group waited for me to memorize the rules before playing, we'd never start), the point is to become familiar with the main concepts, how combat works, how powers are constructed, that sort of stuff. Once you've read through it, though, I'd go ahead and jump in to the campaign.

2) If you can use pre-built characters, I would strongly recommend it. This will alleviate any potential problems from player abuse (intentional or otherwise, and yes, it can happen uninetentionally - or at least it did in my campaign in a few instances).

3) Look over the characters carefully, reading each power, limitation, adder, etc., in the rulebook. This is a wonderfully instructive exercise, but it will also alert you to any inobvious aspects to their abilities that might give your villains problems. If you are allowing player-built characters, then give special attention to these. Even if the powers look fine as they are, look out for powers that may be able to work together in subtle ways that might unbalance things.

4) Make your first session a "practice" session. Throw them up against a few different types of villains, to get a sense of how their characters will work. And plan to allow people to adjust their characters afterward, either because you have found some more issues or very possible they've found some things that didn't work as they had intended (particularly if they're as new to Hero as you are).

Sorry for the rather verbose response, but with my campaign having had a rather rocky start only a few months ago, I guess it's all still pretty fresh in my mind. Still, even with some of the issues, I'm very happy with the system and definitely think the extra effort is worth it.

Good luck.

The easiest way to pick up Hero is to play with someone who knows the system. With a good guide you can learn the mechanics in one session, although making charcters will still be mysterious for a while.

If that is not possible (and it sounds like you are teaching yourself), then I would suggest ordering the book for the genre that you want to play (i.e. Champions, Dark Campions, Fantasy Hero, etc). The one thing that 5th and 5th revised lacks compaired to earlier editons in sample characters. Back a couple of editons ago when I started playing Champions I had the advantage of looking at the bunch of sample characters that came with the rules and saying, "ok, this is how to make a brick, this is how to make a martial artist, oh thats an interesting idea over there". It really helps to see someone pull it all together for the genre you want to play.

If you cant swing the green for the supliment, then all I can suggest is that you post freqently to the boards, including the rules board. (What other system has a message board when you can ask the author about rule issues? These guys define class act.) Put up your sample characters, pester people with questions, and generally solicit advice.

Also, In your studying of the rules focus on the combat mechanics and playing the game, not every tiny detail of every power. If you can sit down with some friends and make a skill check, run a combat, and award some xp when you are done you can play. Character theory and design will improve with time.

I think playing helps. The basic mechanic of "roll 3d6, the lower the better" to "succeed" and then roll Xd6 of effect afterwards is easy to pickup on, the rest is modifiers. If you play a few games, you can pick up most of the common modifiers pretty easy. The rest you can bookmark or make up on the fly - most players won't know if you mess up on obscure modifiers if you act like you know what you're doing.

As for making characters, I always tell people who aren't familiar with the system to write it out and then figure out the math/building. Since you're the GM, you'll probably need/want to construct a scale - you can run an Avengers/JLA level game with a surprisingly low ceiling if you know what you're doing. Once the scale is in place, fit characters, NPC and PC alike, into the scale. The book has some good advice on how far to stretch the ranges.

I've been playing HERO Games since I picked up a copy of Justice Inc. back in my sophomore year of high school in '85. I don't believe that Champions is inherently more difficult in gameplay, but what might intimidate is the bewildering variety of options that it offers for character building and, especially, genre choice.

I think the best strategy is to just read the Combat and Adventuring section, buy a supplement that includes a setting that you like, and use pre-generated characters for both PCs and NPCs. The gameplay itself will fall into place nicely as you and your players begin, and you can just look up whatever presents itself as a problem.

The complex bits of HERO are the ones that offer what other systems don't: total control of your gameworld and characters. Move into that phase gradually as your PCs gain and spend experience, and as you learn to build NPCs to interact with them.

How long did it take you to become proficient with the Hero System? Did you learn it by playing, or did you study up on it before you even tested the waters of GMing?

I started off by plowing right into it. Read the book, get a group of friends together and design some characters. Don't worry about screwing things up and just concentrate on getting down to playing.

Once the characters are made run them through a one off game. Essentially you should be aiming to teach them the basics of using skills, rolling to hit in combat, using different maneuvers, using the speed chart, and rolling for/applying damage. Everything else is not important at the outset.

If you are still not too confident with the system, keep running one off sessions for a while. Slowly introduce the optional rules you want to use as you go. Probably at a rate of 2-3 rules per combat. Within 2-3 sessions you and your players will be ready to start a long term campaign, and you can all sit down and make up new characters for that one, using your new experience with the system to get you exactly what you want.

And it pays off for me to reiterate the single best piece of advice I ever received before I started running HERO. "Remember that everything in the game can be boiled down to rolling 3d6 and scoring under a target number."

If in doubt, tell the players to roll the dice and make up on the spot whether they succeed or fail. The game will keep moving, and everyone will have a good time.

The Horror

Thank you, to every one of you, for the friendly and sage advice about starting out with Hero System:) I was really impressed and grateful for the time and effort you all took to give me a good perspective on learning the game, you guys are great!

Just one of the great bits of advice you gave me was to concentrate on learning the basics and jump right in. And some of you mentioned that my first experience GMing a game may not go too smoothly and might require a bit of 'fudging', but that this could be fun too. I needed to hear these things.

When I said that I felt like I was 'studying for an exam', I guess the pressure came from having 3 veteran Hero System/Champions players each sign up for my game before I even had a chance to open the rules book. I did warn them that I was a complete novice with the system, but they didn't seem to care. So I was worried about running Hero System when the players would be much more proficient than I. But if these guys are even half as classy as you guys on this forum, their experience and knowledge will be an asset, rather than a trial!

Wishing you all the best!

Weird Ollie

P.S. Thanks for making me feel welcome! It's great to be here!

When I said that I felt like I was 'studying for an exam', I guess the pressure came from having 3 veteran Hero System/Champions players each sign up for my game before I even had a chance to open the rules book. I did warn them that I was a complete novice with the system, but they didn't seem to care. So I was worried about running Hero System when the players would be much more proficient than I. But if these guys are even half as classy as you guys on this forum, their experience and knowledge will be an asset, rather than a trial!

Ha ha ha.

I once ran a Shadowrun game without knowing any of the mechanics other than the basic task resolution system. Luckily, one of the players knew the system inside out. I just told him he was in charge of the rules, and concentrated on telling a good story. Whenever I asked for a skill roll he took over explaining it to the other players. Whenever combat started up or magic needed to be used I asked him to help the other players figure out the modifiers involved. The game went great, and by the end of the third session we all had learned the system.

The only thing you have to watch out for in Hero is the balance issue. Having experienced players should be a good thing during the game, though in character creation they may end up designing rather unbalanced characters for your game. That's all ok though, as long as you make sure to tell them all that characters will be subject to change for balance purposes later on in the campaign, or that these characters will only be used until everyone (including you) is confortable enough with the system to start up a long term game.

I think you are going to have a blast of a time.

The Horror