More space news!

tkdguy

Re: More space news!

Afaik gravity does not really weakens over distance the way most radiation does.

If it did not - if the gravitic attraction generated by, say, a black hole, were the same at any given distance as it is in proximity -

There'd be only one black hole in the universe, and we'd be inside it.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says that still doesn't make a dyson sphere practical

If it did not - if the gravitic attraction generated by, say, a black hole, were the same at any given distance as it is in proximity -

There'd be only one black hole in the universe, and we'd be inside it.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary says that still doesn't make a dyson sphere practical

If I remember correctly (haven't checked, and don't remember where I heard it), radiation weakens with the cube of the distance, while gravity weakens with the square of the distance.

Nope. both follow an inverse square law.

gravity

3912e6a6f36bb6df88acc19ab46f61ad.png

light intensity

4a0aa41bf97d4c8c39824c42fbf7a2a5.png

It also works for electrical forces and sound. I'd imagine the Strong and Weak forces would too, but they just don't act on a scale where it would be relevant.

Yeah, I was somewhat skeptical of what I had heard, but just never got around to do the research. Thanks for the formulas! :thumbup:

Nope. both follow an inverse square law.

gravity

3912e6a6f36bb6df88acc19ab46f61ad.png

light intensity

4a0aa41bf97d4c8c39824c42fbf7a2a5.png

It also works for electrical forces and sound. I'd imagine the Strong and Weak forces would too, but they just don't act on a scale where it would be relevant.

I suddenly flashed on an old Doctor Who show "The Time Monsters" (Jon Pertwee, 3rd Doctor).

The Master was working a problem and musing aloud "E equals MC cubed..."

Professor: "Oh I say, old fellow, I think you mean 'MC squared'."

The Master: "Not! In! Hyperspace!"

Nope. both follow an inverse square law. gravity 3912e6a6f36bb6df88acc19ab46f61ad.png light intensity 4a0aa41bf97d4c8c39824c42fbf7a2a5.png It also works for electrical forces and sound. I'd imagine the Strong and Weak forces would too, but they just don't act on a scale where it would be relevant.
I'm thinking "no" on the nuclear forces. They have to get stronger faster at very small dstances or else there would be nothing but hydrogen and deuterium in the universe. Quick check if a couple of web sites suggest the range of gravity and EM is infinite, but the nuclear forces have a very definite limited range. That doesn't sound like they follow the same law.

No, the nuclear forces definitely have something other than an inverse square law dependence.

Entirely correct--the nuclear forces don't even reach all the way across a large nucleus. That's why elements with larger atomic numbers are unstable: protons can only be attracted by so many other particles (the ones that fit in the strong nuclear force radius), but there's no limit to how many other protons can repel it electrically.

I'm thinking "no" on the nuclear forces. They hve to get stronger faster at very small dstances or else there would be nothing but hydrogen and deuterium in the universe. Quick check if a couple of web sites suggest the range of gravity and EM is infinite' date=' but the nuclear forces have a very definite limited range. That doesn't sound like they follow the same law.[/quote']

I was mistaken by a small sentence in the description of Gravity stating "it can theoretically work over infinite distances". So when you are in one point of the universe you would still feel the gravitational pull of a grain of Sand on the other end. Granted it would be considerably weak pull so it propably won't have much effect but the effect is still there.

Entirely correct--the nuclear forces don't even reach all the way across a large nucleus. That's why elements with larger atomic numbers are unstable: protons can only be attracted by so many other particles (the ones that fit in the strong nuclear force radius)' date=' but there's no limit to how many other protons can repel it electrically.[/quote']

Afaik the elemental forces in an atom are so strong, that radioactive decay would be impossible - only Quantum Tunneling allows "decay" as we observe it.

Afaik the elemental forces in an atom are so strong' date=' that radioactive decay would be impossible - only Quantum Tunneling allows "decay" as we observe it.

Again' date=' I'm going to say "no."[/quote']

At least for Fusion I could find some explanations:

[snip]

And I am pretty sure the same thing is true for Fission as well.

Um, were that so, there would be no unstable isotopes lighter than iron. There are, so again, no.