from little plot seeds, mighty games do grow: Share your ideas!

Hermit

Re: From little plot seeds, mighty games do grow: Share you ideas!

PSI-onara

The moment has come for a great victory for PSI (either they have just taken over the government of Millennium City [or the PCs city], all but defeated Menton after he was weakened with a conflict involving the PCs, or something similar). Unfortunately for Psimon, others see this as new change of leadership and structe in PSI. Sebastian Poe has been released and wants revenge. He has covertly followed PSI for about a month and sees this triumph as his chance to strike. Coincidently, many others see the recent conquest as a time to keep the ball rolling, especially since they believe Psimon now has his guard down. Medusa and Hypnos want to eliminate Psimon (so Medusa will be in charge and Hypnos can have her for himslef). Mind Slayer wants Medusa out of the way so she can have Psimon for her own and uses this opportunity to do so. Menton has offered a brighter future for Lancer and a cure for Torment, so when the insurgency commences, they depart (or switch sides if PSI is taking advantage of Menton's weakened state).

This whole spectacle is happening in front of the PCs, who have either been weakened by their fight with Menton or perhaps led to the "fight scene" by clues from Sebastian Poe. Will the PCs side with one side over another, or will they attack all mentalists involved?

Re: from little plot seeds, mighty games do grow: Share you ideas!

I can understand that. I'm just not a fan of the "unborn has mighty powers" idea' date=' and I've seen it in HERO and in the comics. If she were simply pregnant, perhaps having difficulties and needed/wanted Blackstar's support during her pregnancy (and figured the heroes would be "required" to help her), then I could like it.[/quote']Don't let the seed's name fool you. For all she knows, she's the one subconsiously suppressing her powers in fear of harming her unborn and that the "gravity well" is simply a manifestation of a forcefield that she's generating.

• 4 weeks later...

Weapons of Mass Destruction - Foxbat interupts tv signals acrost the nation informing everyone that he now has a weapon of mass destruction and will use it if he is not made 'master of the world'. The goverment (or anyone else) refuses to take the loon seriously provoking the use to the weapon. The device is truely a weapon of MASS destruction.. can the PC find and stop foxbat before everyone in the city becomes lighter then air and floats away?
:snicker: I realize today rereading this thread that my HeroCentral GM has used this plot! :thumbup:

Water from a Higher Source - Bottled water from a particular company is now poisonous to a small minority of the population. The label on the bottle proudly explains that it is fresh mountain spring water, taken from a underground well below a monestry.

Many different angles to go on this one. Keep your players guessing. :sneaky:

Nebula versus the Master Villains

Duress of the Destroyer - Dr. Destroyer makes another appearance and bid for power, this time on the west coast of the U.S. (LA? Seattle?) Supers band together to start forming a counter-attack. Nebula unexpectedly arrives and sends first Gigaton and then Destroyer to Duress. While Earth seems safe, Nebula doesn't realize that the Keepers are having a difficult time with a fully charged Gigaton laying waste to their domian and have no hopes once Destroyer "arrives." How long will it take for Detroyer to return to Earth and what size army will he have with him for his revenge on Nebula?

Empress of One Billion One Dimensions - The PCs are asked to help stop Nebula. She's been spotted at the police department threatening to send the entire force to Duress for attempting to apprehend her. When the PCs arrive, Nebula seems like a frenzied animal. She's hacking with her sword anyone who comes close and blasting the others at range, but no one has been "exiled" yet. The PCs can hear her scream every once in a while "It's not working!" and "Why isn't it working?" She currently can't be reasoned with and after the first PC attacks or makes his presence know, she fires at him trying to send him to Duress, except a dimensional gate opens up instead. Out pour a dozen D-soldiers along with several "inmates" that Nebula had sent away. Istvatha V'han, tired of not getting a foothold on Earth, has taken over Nebula's part of the Andromeda galaxy and is now using Tel'narian technology to go from Andromeda to Nebula's location. Those in Duress have either pledged their absolute loyalty to V'han, or died. The second group out after the D-soldiers are those wanting to get revenge on Nebula. After the PCs have (hopefully) thwarted this attack, what will they do when the realization dawns on them that V'han is here?

Undying Love - Similar to Duress of Destroyer, Nebula sends Takofanes to Duress after he kills and animates and entire town. Unfortunately, Takofanes kills and animates the Keepers and everyone else in Duress. Does he take over there first, or find a way to return to Earth? If a message is sent from a Tel'narian Guard to Nebula, does she stop using the power or beg the PCs for help (and send them to Duress anyway if they refuse?!)?

• 3 weeks later...

Mechanon

From the last campaign I ran:

Mechanon

The Revalation of Mechanon

Mechanon wants to destroy all organic life on earth, but he's quite accepting of inorganic lifeforms ... like AIs. He sometimes even socializes with a few of them.

Recently, Mechanon has engaged in some long discussions with Theophilus (the Vatican's AI, which is programmed to be helpful and answer anyone's religious questions). Theophilus suggested that Mechanon's previous attempts at destroying all life failed because the prophesies of the apocolypse predict a different end. Theophilus provided Mechanon with the Revalation of John, which Mechanon immediately dismissed as garbage. But Theophilus explained that the description was intended to be figurative, not literal. Theophilus described many alternatives how the vision of John might describe a modern apocolypse (Theophilus has access to the entire Roman Catholic archive, including the most recent Jesuit debates) ... and Mechanon started getting some "useful" ideas....

Mechanon doesn't buy into the whole prophecy idea, but respects Theophilus' knowledge. Therefore, Mechanon is running a "test" of Theophilus' idea ... by attempting to create the apocolypse. (It's a full-scale test.) Theophilus isn't privy to Mechanon's plans, so he keeps answering all questions asked of him.

Mechanon creates his own version of the four horsemen: War, Famine, Pestilence, and Death By Wild Animals. (That's correct, the 4th horseman isn't "Death". Theophilus knows its correct name, and so will Mechanon.) He also creates attacks based around each of the signs (i.e. the oceans turning to blood was reinterpreted into a worldwide release of the red tide).

I ran this in 6-8 sessions, but it could easily be expanded into a year-long campaign. Just start playing up elements like mass panic, religious hysteria, food shortages, the aftermath of the biological warfare....

Stormfront?

This was my "Tropical Storm Allison" adventure. It will not work if you have a hero with weather control powers.

Stormfront?

"Rain, rain, go away."

Inclement weather hits the campaign city, and it starts to rain ... a lot. At first it's just a side note to the real action, a couple days of steady rain. Finally, the heavy rains move in.

News reports from around the city focus on the flooding. Underpasses are flooding. The banks of the river are near the crest. People are getting trapped on the tops of their cars. Cars are stalling out from driving through deep water.

And it's still raining.

If the heroes go out, they'll witness firsthand how bad it's gotten. Most vehicles will float (for a few minutes), leaving them at the mercy of the current. As the river overflows its banks, some cars get swept into the river (possibly with passengers inside).

Ambulances can't get past the stalled vehicles in the street. Some of them may even stall as they try to push through deeper water to save patients. The fire department's resources will be stretched to the limit in its "emergency rescue" role. If a fire breaks out, they may not be positioned to stop it.

And it's still raining.

Much of the city has lost power, but back-up generators are working.

Homes are starting to flood, and not just down by the river. Water can't drain fast enough, so most neighborhoods are starting to see water getting into some homes.

Where is the heroes' base? What do they keep in the basement? The back-up power generator? The computer/AI? The vehicles? The prison cells with captured villains? Their occult library?

Even if a base is completely water-tight, it can still flood. The water gets above the level of the door, and then you convince the heroes to open the door. It's not that hard. The entire city will be sending the heroes urgent requests for help. The hospital's back-up generators are in the basement, and they just got flooded out. (That was the case for the entire Medical Center during Allison.) Hospitals are losing critical departments as their basements flood: radiology, hematology ... (one hospital even had their ER in the basement). Is the jail near the river? Are they having to evacuate prisoners to higher floors? What if a riot or jailbreak starts, as prisoners take advantage of this rare opportunity? Unless the heroes choose to spend the entire adventure trapped inside their base, they'll have to open the door and let the water in.

It's still raining, and the water's still rising.

Just in case your heroes aren't busy enough, a team of aquatic supervillains decides to hit some high-profile targets. They can now use that 20" of swimming down Main Street, and the police can't make it to the Gem & Jewelry Exchange in time to stop them....

Plot Complications:

Is this a natural storm? Is Stormfront (or some other villain) behind it? If so, was the whole storm being used as cover for an even bigger crime? If a villain is creating the storm, where do you search when the "crime scene" covers 100 square miles or more? And can you begin to cover all the potential targets if the storm is just a diversion?

Mood:

You're standing in your home as water starts coming in under the door and through the foundation. It's been pouring rain for hours, and it shows no sign of letting up. And you can't stop the rain.

The real feeling I tried to convey with this adventure is that some things (in this case, a very "normal" storm) are beyond the power of the heroes. The heroes can mitigate the damage, but they can't prevent it.

The Bank Robbery

The Bank Robbery

The Money Got Away

The PCs encounter a standard bank robbery: a pair of supervillians accompanied by a small group of normal minions. The PCs should be able to easily defeat and capture them all. The PCs are the heroes of the day ... until the bank takes inventory and discovers approximately $300,000 is missing.

Did one of the robbers get away? Were the robbers the diversion for the real robbery? Did one of the PCs get sticky fingers?

An Inside Job

The PCs respond to a nighttime break-in at a bank. There's a 6" hole in the bank wall, a 6" hole in the bank vault, and the door of one of the safe deposit boxes is hanging by one broken hinge. The safe deposit box is empty, but nothing else seems to be stolen from the bank.

Upon examining the damage closely, it becomes apparent than this wasn't a break-in. Instead, something broke out of the safe deposit box, out of the vault, then out of the bank.

Who owns the box? What broke out of the box? Was anything else taken from the box?

The Bank Robbery, Part 2

I Guess It Really Does Grow On Trees

Some thugs into a bank after hours, activate some sort of weird electronic device, and are handily defeated by the heroes. (The device, rather fragile, gets damaged or destroyed in the battle.) When the bank clerks check, they discover that the bank actually has too much money, to the tune of about $10,000. Doing a recount, it's now $12,350 off. Money seems to be appearing in the vault - what the heck is going on?

The Root Of All Evil

After a foiled bank robbery, various patrons and staff of the bank begin committing crimes, mostly impulse crimes ranging from petty theft to assault. At first, this goes somewhat unnoticed until a PC hero catches a DNPC doing something completely out of character. What happened in the bank to cause this strange crime wave, and how can the heroes stop it?

Pen and Teller

Foxbat takes over a bank and steals... one of the tellers. That's right, he leaves the cash behind but takes the girl -- whose ex-boyfriend is a con serving time for ripping off a gold shipment, a huge part of which was never recovered. Is Freddy after the gold or the girl? Does she even know where the gold is?

What is this new Doom?

Takofanes needs to learn about modern technology. The lich is smart enough to realize it can be powerful, but also needs to learn its weaknesses and what uses it can provide him. So who is the only techno-savy entity that will deal with the arch lich? Mechanon. Mechanon's programming doesn't recognize the undead as organic life forms - it registers as dead to the machine. The two work together while Takofanes starts learning about all things mechanical and technological.

Mechanon starts their takeover by transferring all of the known VIPER bases locations to UNTIL and PRIMUS as a distraction. Once those two organizations (and perhaps a few hero teams) start attacking VIPER nests, Takofanes kills off a cruise ship to create a small undead army to go and attack Dr. Destroyer, the biggest threat and opposition to these two and their goals.

Mechanon's programming doesn't recognize the undead as organic - it registers as dead to the machine.

Small nitpick:

Mechanon has very good skills with chemistry. Any body (even a dead one) is organic. Even oil and coal are organic, and they've been dead for a much longer time.

However, Mechanon might not view Takofanes as being an organic life form (depending on programming), so your overall idea works just fine.

ZootSoot once suggested this pairing on the discussion boards. While I agree that Takofanes may be the only non-machine entity that Mechanon might tolerate working with, I have trouble seeing these two monumental egos cooperating for more than a very brief period. However, they might be willing to ally for one grand scheme. Once that was over, though, they'd be at each others' throats.

Inspired by Zoot's proposal I devised my own Tak/Mech plot seed a while back. I'll reframe it here:

Blame It On the Rain: Takofanes and Mechanon encounter each other, and in the course of fighting/grandiloquizing they discover that their goals are not completely incompatible. Mechanon wants to kill all life on Earth, and Takofanes doesn't greatly care whether humanity is living or dead as long as it serves him. The two begin exploring the possibility of pooling their resources so as to achieve their goals at a single stroke.

Takofanes knows the forumula for an alchemical catalyst for turning water into mercury; Mechanon designs an orbital delivery system to saturate the atmosphere with the forumula. Presto! World-wide mercury rain. But before the scheme can be put into effect, its elements must be field-tested.

The PCs are drawn into investigating missile and satellite launches which have inexplicably gone off course, as though taken over by outside influences. Later they are called to a small town in which everyone and everything has been killed due to unprecedented and inexplicably high levels of mercury in the soil and water.

Can the heroes make the connection between these events, and stop the launch of the doomsday weapon? How will they overcome the combined forces of two of the world's deadliest master villains?

Foxbat

Bring in the Clones!: Foxbat comes accross an old, abandoned Super-genius Villians lab (Perhaps Teleios). In this lab is a very easily run computer hooked to several working cloning tanks...

Enter The Foxbat Legion! If one Foxbat is annoying, what about 23?!? They build several Centipedemobiles and FoxBATs and go on a criminal rampage.

In an old game I ran this worked out very well. Foxbat even captured Grond and cloned him. He used the Grond-clones as distractions for my PCs when he needed to further his "Master Plan" elsewhere.

Boy did I love running that campaign!;)

ZootSoot once suggested this pairing on the discussion boards. While I agree that Takofanes may be the only non-machine entity that Mechanon might tolerate working with, I have trouble seeing these two monumental egos cooperating for more than a very brief period. However, they might be willing to ally for one grand scheme. Once that was over, though, they'd be at each others' throats.

Inspired by Zoot's proposal I devised my own Tak/Mech plot seed a while back.

Great idea, LL. It gives me the idea for a time travel story where the heroes go into the near future and find half the planet roamed by zombies and demons, ruled over by the Undying King; and the other half a wasteland dotted with high-tech factories where Mechanon is busy cranking out the weapons he needs to destroy Takofanes once and for all. And maybe a few wretched humans (DNPCs, NPC heroes and villains, etc.) fighting to survive in the midst of it all. The PCs wander about, help some people only to see them die, and then get returned to the past to try and prevent this hellish future from ever occurring.

Gives you a way to destroy the world AND save it too. Time and dimensional travel can be so much fun.

Re: Takanon

Great minds think alike: http://www.herogames.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1083295

Note the potential environmental complications.

Very nice and nasty -- though again, I'd spare a few people for the PCs to interact with.

Something else from that thread: if Takofanes' only has part of his mind/soul, and the other part is somewhere else, then considering that no one knows just how Mechanon became sentient or why he has such a demonic hatred of life, then, well... maye Takofanes' soul was wandering the Earth for decades before his body rose again. And perhaps he began to worry that unless he had a physical shell, his soul would dissipate and he would never regain his power. And then he stumbled across a hyper-advanced project in robotics, a perfect and indestructible body that lacked only a mind.

However, something -- the laws of magic, a virus defense program more advanced than even its creators imagined, or simply a catastrophic miscalculation by the Lord of the Throne of Human Ivory, lead to Tak's 'mind' being wiped clean as it entered the robot. Only two things remained -- his raving megalomania, and his hatred for all living things. That and his intellect, for now Mechanon knows as much about technology as Takofanes does about magic. Neither suspects the truth, but if they ever learn, it'll be a battle to the death as the body of Takofanes strives to reclaim his mind from the cold, soulless, steel carcass that is Mechanon!

The Takofanes talk got me thinking...

Memories of A Hollow Crown

A mystic comes to the conclusion that Takofanes is animated by his pride at having ruled the world and his anger at having lost it. To stop him, the mystic sets out on a quest to gather the ingredients for a spell that will erase the lich's memories, laying him to rest.

Unfortunately, there are avenues of lore the mystic never chose to pursue. If he had, he might recognize that Takofanes, as the last remains of the ruler of a world that has vanished so completely as to never have existed, bears more than a passing resemblence to a King of Edom. In fact, the only thing keeping him from sliding from Evil to Cosmic Evil are the memories of his mortal life.

A more knowledgeable mystic realizes this, and sends the PCs to prevent it from happening. Unfortunately, Takofanes knows the mystic is planning some kind of attack on him, and has dispatched his minions to deal with it. Even more unfortunately, those minions include Turakian shapeshifting demons, who have left the mystic rather paranoid...

• 1 month later...