Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

At OwlCon, Dark Ages: Fae, "Dark and Stormy Night"

Jaques, an incarnation of frostbite, reports on the success of the mission.

"They entered this world naked, screaming and covered in blood. And for many of them, that's how they left it."

And this comment by Anne, a changeling of the Spring Court, is best without context.

"I deflower myself."

OwlCon, Mutants & Masterminds, "Agents of CHIMERA"

Buzz explains to Specs and Rocky the significance of a HALO insertion.

Buzz: "They call it 'HALO', because if you screw it up, that's what you'll be wearing."

Upon learning that we might be encountering the Sinister Simian

Eagle: "Everything's better with monkeys."

Doc (the regenerating medic) is going one-on-one with Maxwell's Demon (a fiery speedster). Doc has grabbed a fire extinguisher. Maxwell's Demon tries to blow the fire extinguisher up in Doc's hands, but fails.

Doc: "Hey Hothead, take a chill pill."

Doc slams the fire extinguisher into his opponent's midsection.

Doc: "And make it go 'BOOM'."

*** BOOOM ***

Following the defeat of Evil Dr. Brain.

Buzz: "Multi-tool: $75. Mechanics classes: $250. Seeing the Brain's expression as you drain the rest of the fluid out of his jar: Priceless!"

While one of the other heroes is wandering through the base, he comes upon Cybervulture engaging in positive thinking exercises so he doesn't forcibly deactivate himself in a fit of trauma.

Cybervulture, Standing in front of a mirror, pumping one of his arms: Go, Cybervulture! Go, Cybervulture! You're the half-man! You're the half-man! (Sigh) This isn't working...

Owlcon, Call of Chthulu, "Miskatonic University: First Semester"

Rush week and hazing have led the pledges into the tunnels under the university campus.

The GM and players have an out-of-character discussion regarding which way they're headed.

GM: You come to a T-intersection.

Chester: We go left.

GM: You go left, right?

Chester: We go left.

GM: Right.

Chester: No, we go left.

Corey: We go left, correct.

GM: You go left, correct?

Chester and Corey: Yes!

The tunnel intersected a section of the sewers. The pledges hear some rum-runners coming down the sewers toward them, so they dash back into the tunnel to hide from the rum-runners. As the rum-runners reach the tunnel, one of them shines his electric torch at the entrance.

Rum-Runner 1: Dat leads unner da university. Nebber go in dare.

Rum-Runner 2: Why not?

Rum-Runner 1: Dare's some bad stuff back dare. Youse don' wanna know more dan dat.

Chester (still hidden): Uuuuuoooooaaaagh.....

Rum-Runner 1: Holy @#$% !! RUN !!

The pledges encounter some ghoul-like creatures. Chester, Franklin and Travis take off. Corey grabs Trevor's arm and pulls him after the others. As Corey is about to catch up to the others, he realizes that Trevor is no longer attached to Trevor's arm.

A few moments later...

Franklin: Where's Trevor?

Corey: He got separated.

Rum-Runner 1: Dat leads unner da university. Nebber go in dare.

Rum-Runner 2: Why not?

Rum-Runner 1: Dare's some bad stuff back dare. Youse don' wanna know more dan dat.

Chester (still hidden): Uuuuuoooooaaaagh.....

Rum-Runner 1: Holy @#$% !! RUN !!

The pledges encounter some ghoul-like creatures. Chester, Franklin and Travis take off. Corey grabs Trevor's arm and pulls him after the others. As Corey is about to catch up to the others, he realizes that Trevor is no longer attached to Trevor's arm.

A few moments later...

Franklin: Where's Trevor?

Corey: He got separated.

rofl.gif

That's why I always liked CoC. I almost never made a sanity roll, but I sure had fun going crazy.

Our heroes are in an undersea dome rescuing an NPC from villainous evildoers. They are split into two different entrances, and one team hears weapon fire coming from the other side of their hatch.

Dr. Impossible: Sounded like shots fired. The time for subtlety may well be past.

Jiggawatt: (nods to Dr. I) Ya, I hear it too. Ve need to gate in und now.

Jiggawatt rolls 12 dice to open the hatch. 12D6: 2, 3, 2, 4, 5, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 1, 6 (53 STUN, 17 BODY)

Dr. Impossible: (OOC: 6 6's on 12d6?!?! Mein Gott!! He's using GM Dice! :D ) Dr. Impossible is visibly startled by the terrifyingly powerful blast of energy provided by the Seventy-Thousand Watt Superhero.

Jiggawatt: (OOC: It must be the humidity. We are under water after all.)

Guest Major Tom

rofl.gif

That's why I always liked CoC. I almost never made a sanity roll, but I sure had fun going crazy.

Reminds me of the only CoC game that I was ever in. Our group was checking

out some creepy house (as if there's any other kind in CoC), and we had split

up to investigate it (seriously bad idea). As luck would have it, my char-

acter was the one to run into someone who had been altered by TMWNMTK,

and was promptly attacked by said altered person. Fortunately, my character

was armed and immediately started shooting at the guy, emptying his .45 and

(once that was empty) his 12-gauge shotgun into him, with little effect. By

the time that the shotgun was empty, the rest of the party had arrived and

added their firepower, finally putting the guy down for good.

When the police got there and started questioning everybody, my character's

response to the officers' question as to what happened when the guy attack-

ed was "I put seven rounds from my .45 into him...both barrels of the 12-

gauge...and that psycho *********** kept on coming."

Major Tom :eek:

Ah CoC now that brings back memories...(flashback effect and noise)

The group had just escaped from a...rather unpleasant mission and were being followed by this evil spirit. The spirit would pop-up at random moments and cause havic. Anyways, we were like ten mintues into the night's game and the group was on an airplane headed to England when the spirit took control of a passenger and prepared to attack them.

Thomas (my dad's character): Wait, what do we have to do to get rid of you?

Spirit: (Thinking for a second) Give me a sacrifice of life.

Thomas: Any life will do I take it?

Spirit: Yes (Evil Grin).

Thomas shots himself in the head.

GM picks his jaw up off the floor and cancels the rest of the game for the night.

GM: I never saw that coming you just killed my whole plot line for like the next three games.

My Dad: Teach you to try and out crazy me!

The group had just escaped from a...rather unpleasant mission and were being followed by this evil spirit. The spirit would pop-up at random moments and cause havic. Anyways, we were like ten mintues into the night's game and the group was on an airplane headed to England when the spirit took control of a passenger and prepared to attack them.

GM picks his jaw up off the floor and cancels the rest of the game for the night.

GM: I never saw that coming you just killed my whole plot line for like the next three games.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Priceless. Simply Priceless.

That's a classic. On the verge of priceless.

I hate to be the grumpy old man, but do we have any non CoC quotes? Too many of the same spoil the bunch. Anyone with a quote on a super being a hero? A player with a spoonerism? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Priceless. Simply Priceless.

Yeah that got rid of him, but really he should have asked for how long. I mean if he's showing up 15 minutes later you'd be ... pissed!

Yes that was priceless. However as an experienced GM I am very used to the unexpected by my players.

I would have simply laughed about it (mostly due to shock) then say. "The spirit laughs and says, that's so funny, I lied, who is next" Then quietly change the end plot line in my head.

Got to love it when speak with unsealable and unpredictable, angry dead goes completely very wrong. :ugly:

Yes that was priceless. However as an experienced GM I am very used to the unexpected by my players.

I would have simply laughed about it (mostly due to shock) then say. "The spirit laughs and says, that's so funny, I lied, who is next" Then quietly change the end plot line in my head.

Got to love it when speak with unsealable and unpredictable, angry dead goes completely very wrong. :ugly:

I prefer the idea that a noble sacrifice would have some lasting effect. Even in the dismal worldview of CoC.

I'll continue my quotes with a Valentine's tale of infatuation ... Shadowrun style.

OwlCon, Shadowrun 4th Edition, "For Elves About to Rock"

Following an unexpected bout of reasonableness and common sense, megastar Maria Mecurial's entire staff of bodyguards unexpectedly quit. In desparation, her manager turned to her opening band (who are also shadowrunners), and asked them to bodyguard her during the Cairo visit.

That night, Maria Mecurial goes to a club and (true to form) starts a brawl. As her would-be-suitor's bodyguards step in, Titus (the drummer/street samurai) pulls out his titanium drumsticks.

Titus: "Drum solo!"

The next day, the band discovers that the would-be-suitor is filthy rich.

Mr. Wolfe: "Congratulations, Maria. You've just acquired the world's wealthiest stalker."

Maria Mecurial: "Why didn't anyone tell me he was rich? Did someone at least get his phone number?"

After the stalker abducted Maria Mecurial, the shadowrunners are searching the stalker's mansion trying to rescue her. Heinrick (the lead singer/con-artist) tries to bluff his way past a guard.

Heinrick (acting effeminate): "Excuse me. I seem to have gotten turned around. Is this Miss Mecurial's room?"

Guard: "What are you doing here?"

Heinrick: "I'm here to do Miss Mercurial's hair and make-up for the ceremony. Is this her room or not?"

The guard lets Heinrick into the room. As the rest of the band starts creating a disturbance, Heinrick turns around and shoots the guard in the back.

Heinrick (muttering to himself): "I knew there was a reason that I've never trusted those hair and make-up guys."

Moments later.

Heinrick: "Good afternoon Maria. We're here to rescue you ... unless you're still interested in marrying your wealthy stalker."

Maria Mercurial: "Hell no! I'm not marrying him. He has four wives. FOUR of them. He actually expects me to be one of five."

Heinrick: "Technically, you'd be five of five."

Maria Mercurial: "You're. Not. Helping."

Ash (the keyboardist/decker) explains his unorthodox combat techniques.

Ash: "I'm much better with bedsheets and vases than bullets."

Miles (the guitarist/physical adept) drops an elite guard with a shot to the crotch.

Miles: "Can you say 'Eunuch'?"

GM: He'll be working in the harem from now on.

That's a classic. On the verge of priceless.

I hate to be the grumpy old man, but do we have any non CoC quotes? Too many of the same spoil the bunch. Anyone with a quote on a super being a hero? A player with a spoonerism? Anyone? Anyone? Beuller?

Session one of my Gestalt Campaign.

Shadowknight, multimillionare crimefighter (think Tony Stark if he built Batman Gadgets) and Gestalt of Justice (played by Chris, from my quote) is engaging the Firestarters, a malevolent band of villains. He squares off against Flayer, the Gestalt of Sadism, a hot chick in leather.

He gets his ass whupped. When he comes to, the first words out of his mouth were, "Crap, I forgot the Safe Word."

-----

The media was there taking pictures, and he said, "there's no pictures of me, I bought Sight Group Invisiblity to Machines." Says I, "Sure, but there'll be artist renditions of the battle."

So, I whipped out a piece of scratch paper, drew a stick figure with a cape, X's for eyes and a tongue hanging out of his mouth.

-----

About Shadowknight, "I think he's the Gestalt of Arrogance."

About Tank, Gestalt of Toughness, "Gestalt of Macho Posturing?"

________

Session 2

provided my signature quote. "Just call me Chris, the Gestalt of Incompetence."

In character Guardian the Gestalt of Guardians (think Bruce Wayne, if he built a suit of power armor), "Blood Red King. Bah. We can take him."

Everyone else stares at him. Out of character, "I think my character isn't right in the head."

The PCs are rescuing Dr Dinosaur (the Gestalt of Dinosaurs, and team scientist)'s DNPC Assistant has been kidnapped by one of the campaign villains.

When discussing the Assistant, "She's his 'Assistant'." (with finger quotes). "Is that anything like 'Ward'."

Gryphon, Chain Gestalt created by his dad, another of the campaigns villians, Shadow telekinetic, was getting blasted at by the bad guys. "Where's Tank to hide behind when he's needed."

_____

Session 3

The PCs are involved in a Street Festival with some other Gestalts. One of them is Anklyosaurus, powered armor guy and friend to Dr Dinosaur (they were college roommates) and Rival to Guardian.

There's a Car Toss against the Gestalt of Thunder (thor clone). There's a Boxing Match against the Gestalt of Brawling.

And, then, the main event. Dr Dinosaur and Anklyosaurus vs Guardian and ...

He looks around the table. "What NPCs do I see?" "Well, there's Mike, from the car toss. And then there's Leo who's been showing off his acrobatics skills. He's a Pure Gestalt of the King of the Beasts." "I'll pick him, I wonder what he can do."

They're in the ring, Leo says, "What do you want me to do?" Guardian, "Go after Anklyosaurus."

Phase 12. 33 Dex. Leo Flying Tackles Anklyosaurus. 18d6 with movement. I rolled 93 Stun and 26 body. :eek: Anklyosaurus is down. It's two on one.

"Daaaaammmmn."

"I got the right guy as my partner."

Guardian tries to grapple Dr Dinosaur, to throw him out of the ring, and finish the fight early. Dr Dinosaur’s having none of that and busts out of the hold.

Guardian smacks Dr Dinosaur for some damage. Dr Dinosaur hits Guardian for some damage. Guardian, with his 6 speed is taking advantage of Dr Dinosaur’s 4 speed. Especially, since Dr Dinosaur isn’t using his full power to attack. Dr Dinosaur gets Stunned (-2). Leo poses for a couple of phases, Guardian gets into the act and poses too.

Dr Dinosaur takes a recovery. His opponents attack. Dr Dinosaur gets Stunned (-1) again. His opponents let him get his breath again. They pose some more.

Dr Dinosaur gets and action, stands up, says "Screw this", and uses his Tail Sweep 16d6 AoE 1 hex attack on … random roll (Unluck kicks in) …Guardian. Pow. 79 points of Stun, 23 body. Guardian flies from the ring, Unconscious. It’s now one on one.

Leo calls out the classic, "boot to the head". And puts Dr Dinosaur down. He gets Winter's, the Gestalt of the Joy and Beauty of Winter, phone number.

After the fight, "I don't know that we'd want Leo on our team, he lacks a killer instinct," from Guardian.

____

Session 4

It's a new game week, so Chris, player of Shadowknight picks a random Girl off the "Girlfriend of the Week list" I created for him. He gets Kelly, who's a scientist in his R&D division. "She works for me?" "hey, you said, and I quote, 'I'm not above fishing off the company dock.' Of course she works for you."

perhaps more later...

D

I prefer the idea that a noble sacrifice would have some lasting effect. Even in the dismal worldview of CoC.

Unless of course the Head of Vecna is involved?

Self sacrifice is good and all but you should never.

a) Never trust someone who used to be dead or undead.

B) Never trust someone who is currently dead or undead.

c) Never poke a stick at someone who just died by something currently dead or undead.

etc, etc, your breaking a cardinal rule of surviving a horror movie by even speaking to then trusting what "it" has to say.

Lessoned Learned .... Never trust the Evil Guy they lie.

I would have simply laughed about it (mostly due to shock) then say. "The spirit laughs and says' date=' that's so funny, I lied, who is next" Then quietly change the end plot line in my head.[/quote']:shiver: I'd hate to play in a game (again) where the GM fights against everything the PCs/players do. Especially one where the PCs are forced to make hard decisions and when they choose an even lesser evil that the GM/NPC offered up (but would still qualify) only to see the GM basically say "screw you." :straight:

I've had two GMs like that. The second one I didn't game with beyond one gaming session.

YMMV

:shiver: I'd hate to play in a game (again) where the GM fights against everything the PCs/players do. Especially one where the PCs are forced to make hard decisions and when they choose an even lesser evil that the GM/NPC offered up (but would still qualify) only to see the GM basically say "screw you." :straight:

I've had two GMs like that. The second one I didn't game with beyond one gaming session.

YMMV

I agree. That is officially sh*tty GMing.

Interesting accusation you have there and completely untrue.

The point of playing RPG's is to have fun. If the game is over in under 15 minutes without some form of climatic yet interesting ending then the GM failed IMO. If any of my players were able to defeat an entire plot in under 1 session than I failed as a GM. It's not about working against the players it's about resolving a better plot line. Fighting against the players is doing things like changing the dynamics of the fight so that the players loose. My comment would not cause the players to loose it would be to remind them that evil spirits don't always tell the truth. They should do better research than trusting something dead trying to kill them.

Besides it is reasonable to assume a possessing spirit of evil intension will lie about how to end it's need for existence or when it says it needs to see the PC's do the funky chicken naked to KC and the Sunshine band singing "Do a little dance" while embracing their homosexuality.

That said I would force the player in question to make his IQ roll or something before he pulls the trigger.

Interesting accusation you have there and completely untrue.

If it looks like a duck, and it walks like a duck, and it cheats like a duck ...

The point of playing RPG's is to have fun. If the game is over in under 15 minutes without some form of climatic yet interesting ending then the GM failed IMO.

Just because your players succeeded does not mean you failed.

If any of my players were able to defeat an entire plot in under 1 session than I failed as a GM. It's not about working against the players it's about resolving a better plot line. Fighting against the players is doing things like changing the dynamics of the fight so that the players loose.

Changing your plotline because the players got lucky, or were successful is most definitely yanking a victory out from under them, and that means that someone just offed his character for no good purpose. Yeah, that's climactic and interesting.

My comment would not cause the players to loose it would be to remind them that evil spirits don't always tell the truth. They should do better research than trusting something dead trying to kill them.

Besides it is reasonable to assume a possessing spirit of evil intension will lie about how to end it's need for existence or when it says it needs to see the PC's do the funky chicken naked to KC and the Sunshine band singing "Do a little dance" while embracing their homosexuality.

That said I would force the player in question to make his IQ roll or something before he pulls the trigger.

So, the players aren't allowed to control their characters?

Yeah, I'm done here.

Wow not sure what I did to deserve the personal attacks.

DANG! aren't we a touch bunch of forum posters.

I think you need to read the story about the Head of Vecna.

Allowing players to start killing themselves needlessly will only hurt your game. I think an IQ roll would be fine in this instance because there are times your character would know better than the player. If the player then wants to then trust the angry unreliable dead so be it.

Apparently you have issues with me not sure what they are since my group of players enjoy my style of GMing. I'll just assume your comments are based on a bad GM experience that was NOT ME.

DANG! aren't we a touch bunch of forum posters.

Allowing players to start killing themselves needlessly will only hurt your game. I think an IQ roll would be fine in this instance because there are times your character would know better than the player. If the player then wants to then trust the angry unreliable dead so be it.

Apparently you have issues with me not sure what they are since my group of players enjoy my style of GMing. I'll just assume your comments are based on a bad GM experience that was NOT ME.

Collie, go easy on the poor guy/gal. You just hit CrosshairCollie's biggest button right there. You basically said that the GM's plot is more important than rewarding the players for creative thinking. "Toot-toot, let's all ride on the plot train!"

Me, I let the player get the success, and scramble around for some OTHER way to guide the players to part of the plot, or move it behind the scenes, if they haven't actually handed the macguffin yet.

DANG! aren't we a touchy bunch of forum posters.

We love the GM, but we hate the GMing sin. So it's not a personal attack. And reacting to it as a personal attack will only pour gasoline on the flames.

Allowing players to start killing themselves needlessly will only hurt your game.

emphasis added

The story related was not even close to the Head of Vecna. In the scenario painted, the character's (not player's) decision to kill himself to save others was rational and heroic. For the GM to retroactively change the plot so this heroic action would fail is on the same level of quality of play and fairness as the player, after the GM reveals the sacrifice didn't work, poring over his character sheet and saying "oh, oops - I didn't have any ammo, so I guess my character must have pulled the trigger and pretended to die". In other words, any similar approach where the player tries to back his character out of an already committed action because he doesn't like the consequences.

Now, if the characters had the opportunity to discover that the truthfulness of this creature's claims and bargains were suspect, that's a different story. In CoC, that discovery could have come from research or investigation, and if the players failed to do their homework, and suffered as a consequence, that's part of the game. But the GM retroactively changing the scenario because he dislikes the outcome of PC actions is no different from the player trying to retcon an action because he has discovered the consequences are not to his liking. GM cheating in this manner is no more acceptable, at least in my opinion, than player cheating.

Collie, go easy on the poor guy/gal. You just hit CrosshairCollie's biggest button right there. You basically said that the GM's plot is more important than rewarding the players for creative thinking. "Toot-toot, let's all ride on the plot train!"

Me, I let the player get the success, and scramble around for some OTHER way to guide the players to part of the plot, or move it behind the scenes, if they haven't actually handed the macguffin yet.

GloryFox, I would say some of us have issues with your style of GMing. Whether you take that as a personal attack is something only you can control, not us. By dismissing our concerns, you attack our playing and GMing style to an equal or greater extent we have attacked yours. To me, when the GM changes the ground rules to avoid the ramifications of creative player/character decisions, he invalidates the choices of the players. They become less participants in the game and more actors in the GM's play. Weldun puts it very well.

There is a tradeoff here. The GM now needs to think on his feet, or call the game 15 minutes in. To me, the good GM will be able to think on his feet and keep the game going and/or will have his game planned well enough in advance that a diversion forward in his plans (eg. "well, that scenario took a lot less play time than I was expecting") will not cripple his ability to keep playing (ie he can move along to the next scenario). No, calling the game 15 minutes in is not adding to the fun. But neither is invalidating the ability of the player/characters' decisions to have an impact on the course of the game.

To Crosshair Collie, and to me, calling the game after 15 minutes is the lesser GM sin.

There is a tradeoff here. The GM now needs to think on his feet, or call the game 15 minutes in. To me, the good GM will be able to think on his feet and keep the game going and/or will have his game planned well enough in advance that a diversion forward in his plans (eg. "well, that scenario took a lot less play time than I was expecting") will not cripple his ability to keep playing (ie he can move along to the next scenario). No, calling the game 15 minutes in is not adding to the fun. But neither is invalidating the ability of the player/characters' decisions to have an impact on the course of the game.

To Crosshair Collie, and to me, calling the game after 15 minutes is the lesser GM sin.

The other solution is to say"Um, let's take a break for 15 minutes while I figure out the full ramifications of this." Yes, it breaks the flow of the game, but it does it less than calling it 15 minutes in, and far less than railroading.