Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Last night's D&D game:

The party continues at sea, now on two vessels (our original vessel, plus one we captured after they attacked us). In the distance, we spot a flotilla of 5 or 6 ships.

DM: You can see the flags they are flying. They are long streamers of green and gold.

Aren: It's Slytherin!

A dozen warrior-witches fly over, all members of an Amazon-like race known for being honorable but also for treating men as property. They ignore the male party members and talk to Leila, our female druid and Devlyn, our female rogue.

Woman: We have need of one of your vessels and all the men on it. We are willing to pay well -- 20 thousand gold.

Yllek (OOC to Devlyn): I'm surprised you're not jumping all over that.

Devlyn (OOC): Naw, they're talking gold. I'm waiting for them to get to platinum...

Leila: Unfortunately, we have need of both vessels and all of our crew. We are on a rescue mission.

Woman (nods understandingly): Very well, we still have need of the men, so I will take ten of your men, loan you ten of our women to run your ship until the rescue mission is complete, and then pay you 5,000 gold.

Leila (to the other party members): I think it's a pretty good deal.

Other party members: :nonp:

During discussion of our options:

Leila: ... and they think I'm in charge.

Il'Marcum: So we know they're unstable.

Ryan (to Il'Marcum): You're not wearing anything to boost your Charisma, are you?

Il'Marcum: (long pause and an offended expression) Not that I need it, but no.

Yllek: Okay, here's the plan: Il'Marcum, you fly over and "take care" of all the women while we sail away. Then while they're lying around exhausted, you teleport back to port, and we'll pick you up there...

As Leila negotiates further, and is strongly considering taking the offer rather than taking our chances in combat...

Yllek: You know, that "Neutral" part of your alignment is the "Lawful vs. Chaotic" part, not the "Good vs. Evil" part!

Aren: If they sink our ship... I'll just walk over to their ship and take theirs!

Best taken out of context:

Il'Marcum: Everybody has their souls, most of their body parts are intact... yeah, we're ahead of the game.

Not really a quote' date=' but started a new campaign this week with new people. My character's name? "Flatblack", representative of his color scheme. Of course, within minutes somebody mispronounced it as "Fatback" and I spent the evening as the butt of bacon jokes.[/quote']

Oh, like, Canadian bacon, eh?

Not really a quote' date=' but started a new campaign this week with new people. My character's name? "Flatblack", representative of his color scheme. Of course, within minutes somebody mispronounced it as "Fatback" and I spent the evening as the butt of bacon jokes.[/quote']

Milk and bacon...where're the eggs?

Milk and bacon...where're the eggs?

No eggs, but a cockroach. Yes, one player's character is an intelligent cockroach.

It's going to be an odd campaign, shall we say. There's a fourteen-foot tall alien named "Bowser" (after the guy from Sha Na Na), a SPD 8 speedster who was almost out of END by phase 8 or so, and Doctor Nostalgia, a crackpot with his own cable-access show whose devices, to everyone's surprise, actually work.

Man, using "fatback" and "butt" and "bacon" in one line... I can't even remember all the commentary flying through my head. Its like a 5 million car pile-up, and I just can't specify any one vehicle as they slam into one another one on top of another...

Another of Teh Bunny’s GenghisCon games: Steampunk Hero. Noted Victorian explorer Sir Nigel is launching his greatest adventure yet, an attempt to reach the moon by balloon.

One of our first discussions is what sort of equipment to bring.

“Can we bring some type of ground vehicles? How about bicycles?”

“Bicycles on the moon? I love this game already!”

A group of “Man Was Not Meant To Fly” protestors show up to picket the launch. Ginny (plucky reporter) goes out to talk to them:

Ginny: “Look at it this way: if God really doesn’t want us to fly, this’ll be a very short trip!”

Lady December (noblewoman adventuress) has a Firefly moment:

Lady December: “Wow, we’ve already left atmo? I mean…you know what I mean.”

Brandon, one of Nigel’s longtime companions, proves to be a tad… eccentric:

Lady December: (to Nigel re Brandon) “Where did you find him?”

Sir Nigel: “In Africa.”

Lady December: “Ah, of course.”

For the rest of the game, every time Brandon did something odd – which is to say, practically every time he opened his mouth – Lady D would turn to Nigel:

Lady December: “Africa, you say?”

Lady December reflects on Sir Nigel’s bravery:

Lady December: “Nigel, I’ve never seen you in this light!”

Nigel: “So at 5000 feet, I’m the perfect man?”

George: “The oxygen’s not getting to her brain. The higher we go, the better you look.”

Things start to get dicey:

George: “We should send the women below decks.”

Nigel: “Oh right. You tell Lady December to go below!”

George: “I’m just suggesting. You tell her!”

Sir Nigel & Lady December spent much of the scenario trying to fix Lex up with Ginny. An hour in, there was already talk of a Spring Wedding. However:

Ginny: “We could die!”

Dr. Peter: (OOC) “You’re getting married. Of course you’re going to die.”

Ginny: (OOC to Lex) “He’s right you know; no way we’re both making it out of this scenario alive.”

Lex: (OOC) “It’s actually more dramatic if I die, because you lose your sweetheart and Nigel loses his nephew.”

Ginny: (OOC) “Good point. Dude, you’re toast!”

Just as the expedition seems doomed, our heroes are rescued/captured by an alien spacecraft. Unfortunately, the balloon is destroyed in the process. Lex (Nigel’s nephew, who invented & built the balloon) mourns:

Lex: “Eight months I worked on that balloon! Eight! Months!”

This became Lex’s mantra for much of the game, eventually leading to:

Lex: “Eight! Months!”

George: “Turn the page, boy; time to move on.”

Lady December: “He was colicky as a baby”

Later, Lex tries to build a replacement balloon to get us home:

Lex: (OOC) “With the new balloon, can we descend?”

GM: (thoughtfully) “Descending isn’t the problem…”

The aliens question us about Earth’s defenses:

Alien Leader: “What is your resistance to plasma?”

George: “Plasma? We eat that on our scones for breakfast!”

Ginny: (whispered to George) “What’s plasma?”

George: (whispered back) “No idea.”

Our heroes learn of political divisions among our alien captors:

Lady December: “So they’re like the British & the Americans?”

Dr Wing Pei: “I was thinking more like chimpanzees and gorillas.”

George: (nods) “Exactly -- British & Americans.”

Ginny: (the token Yank) “Hey!”

We escape from our cell accompanied by a sympathetic alien. We decide we’ll pretend to be the alien’s captives:

George: “So what’s the story if someone stops him?”

Several players at once: “Prisoner transfer, cell block 1138!”

Brandon coaches the alien on his part:

Brandon: “Just get us close enough to kick them in the nuts. Quick aside: do you people have nuts?”

Lady December: (to Sir Nigel, through clenched teeth) “Af-ri-ca, you say?!”

Our heroes have a few minutes to grab essentials from the gondola of their old balloon. Ginny, ever the reporter, comes out with her arms full of her notebooks:

Dr Wing Pei: “What about your photographic plates?”

Ginny: (squeals, turns and rushes back into the gondola)

Dr Wing Pei: (shakes his head) “All too easy.”

Sadly, we never did get the chance to ride those bicycles, but still one of the funniest games I’ve ever played. Thanks again Bill!

Another of Teh Bunny’s GenghisCon games: Steampunk Hero. Noted Victorian explorer Sir Nigel is launching his greatest adventure yet, an attempt to reach the moon by balloon.

<...snip...>

Sadly, we never did get the chance to ride those bicycles, but still one of the funniest games I’ve ever played. Thanks again Bill!

I'm glad you remembered all of those quotes. It was a very funny game -- the players were great; you guys were on fire the whole night. You know, when I originally envisioned the scenario, it wasn't supposed to be so goofy. Hideous, squid-like aliens planning to invade an unsuspecting, defenseless Earth... it was supposed to be kinda scary. But I'm glad it didn't end up that way -- I think the humor really made the game work, and everyone had a great time. :thumbup:

There was also a great GM moment... I laid out the character sheets on the table, turned around to pull some notes out of my backpack, and then started on my "These are your characters" spiel... when I noticed that everyone had already picked a character.

GM: OK, so we have Sir Nigel, noted explorer and...

Sir Nigel: Yep, that's me.

GM: And his young nephew, Lex...

Lex: Got 'im.

GM: And Sir Nigel's best friend and oldest companion, George...

George: That'd be me.

GM: ...maybe it would be easier if you guys just tell me who you're playing.

:lol:

Ah yes, and just for the record, in the upcoming Steam, Savants, and the Seal sourcebook for The Kandris Seal universe:

In 1865, famed Scottish explorer and adventurer Sir Nigel McWhorty swears that he will reach the Moon via hot air balloon. He supervises the construction of an enormous balloon, outfits himself and his company with provisions and weapons, and launches himself from the Scottish Highlands amidst great fanfare. McWhorty and his fellow explorers are never seen again, but a few days later, astronomers swear they see what appear to be explosions on the face of the Lunar body.

...and history was made! :D

Another of Teh Bunny’s GenghisCon games: Steampunk Hero. Noted Victorian explorer Sir Nigel is launching his greatest adventure yet, an attempt to reach the moon by balloon. ...

The aliens question us about Earth’s defenses:

Alien Leader: “What is your resistance to plasma?”

George: “Plasma? We eat that on our scones for breakfast!”

Ginny: (whispered to George) “What’s plasma?”

George: (whispered back) “No idea.”

This game sounds so neat! I'll need to get in one before I die :D

More GenghisCon Quotes, this time from my Post-Apoc game. The PCs are a mix of Mutes (mutants) Mechs (cyborgs) and Pures (normals).

The heroes discuss an NPC villain.

SuzeLee: (Pure) “He needs to be shot down like a Mute.”

Ka’Trin: (Mute) “Hey, I’m right here.”

SuzeLee: “Present company excepted.”

The heroes are attacked by an enormous armored vehicle (a Landmaster ala Demolition Alley):

Lowe: “The Ancients had legends like this.”

Tommy: “Don’t sound like a legend no more.”

The Heroes encounter an NPC villain named Woodson Cox. The GM (me) is the only one surprised when his name gets shortened, inducing much sniggering:

GM: “I named an NPC “Woody Cox?” Just take away my dice and ban me from roleplaying...”

Lowe (Mech) checks out Ka’Trin (freaky-yet-disturbingly-sexy snake woman Mute):

Lowe: “I’m watching your tail.”

OOC, Lowe & Ka’Trin joke about hooking up:

Ka’Trin: “There’s one rule, Mr. 200kg: I’m on top.”

You know you’re playing Hero when…

“That’s a great damage roll. Oh, you weren’t rolling damage?”

The heroes hide from a band of mutated creatures. Before the GM can describe them:

“They’re turtles with swords!”

“As long as none of them are named after Renaissance painters or the like.”

“Just take the pizza and kill them.”

(I’d just like to note for the record that they were NOT mutant turtles, with or without swords.)

The heroes find a stash of Ancient food supplies:

GM: “They have several cases of rations. MRE’s basically.”

Player: (OOC) “Yeah, but they’re probably all Omelet With Ham…”

And my new all-time favorite Post-Apoc quote:

“We can build a better world. One with 12 chickens in every pot.”

“Or one chicken with 12 legs.”

“Yeah, cuz everyone loves the drumstick.” :D

Dont worry' date=' BDH. It just means that they didnt see any reason to come BACK down to Earth, from the ray-gun and Moon Maid-filled adventures theyre having up there.[/quote']

Input Jack's got it right. Sir Nigel now has the whole solar system -- nay, the whole galaxy to explore! I'm sure that, years or decades later, the younger members of his crew return to Earth, but that (as they say) is another story. :)

Input Jack's got it right. Sir Nigel now has the whole solar system -- nay' date=' the whole galaxy to explore! I'm sure that, years or decades later, the younger members of his crew return to Earth, but that (as they say) is another story. :)[/quote']

Will something like this be run at GenCon?

Not a quote per se...

The Big Bad is Dryad, a plant character, who hates high technology, and so, steals a nuke to have it blow up the headquarters of the High Tech Company (owned by one of the PC's, Shadowknight).

The PC's use Shadowknight's secret entrance to sneak into the building, so they can get close to the hostages and bomb without getting caught.

They sneak up to the commisary, where the hostages and the bomb are, and prep an attack.

Gryphon, the Telekinetic, grabs the failsafe keys out of the bomb. Winter, the energy projector, surrounds the hostages in a icewall. Tank and Dr Dinosaur, the bricks and Guardian, the powered armor energy projector all engage the minions, to keep them from attacking the hostages. (I've got lots of "protects innocents" Psychlims.)

Shadowknight has "must punish the guilty" and so engages Dryad in combat.

Dryad used her mind control spores on Shadowknight, played by Chris of my quote. "Get the keys, put them in the bomb, turn them, and then activate the bomb."

So, he goes to get the keys, which are still being held by Gryphon, telekinetically. He uses Takeaway to grab one. Gryphon crushes the other. Dryad knocks Gryphon unconscious. Shadowknight grabs the crushed key, and runs over to the bomb. Puts the key in, realizes the other key won't fit, busts out the Lockpick Set from his Utility Belt.

Rolls Lockpicking, gets three sixes.

Heh.

D

Guest Major Tom

OK, I'm going to assume that Dryad is one of those "Nature is Good, Technology

is Evil" type of villains. If that is indeed the case, wouldn't it have been easier for

the PCs to try to convince her that setting off a nuke would do far more damage

to the environment in the long run than high technology?

Just wondering.

Major Tom :confused:

Input Jack's got it right. Sir Nigel now has the whole solar system -- nay' date=' the whole galaxy to explore! I'm sure that, years or decades later, the younger members of his crew return to Earth, but that (as they say) is another story. :)[/quote']

Yes, but meanwhile Ginny (my character) has Psych Lim: Driven To Make A Name For Herself (C,S) burning a hole in her character sheet. What's the point of having all these adventures if you never get to publish them?! :winkgrin:

is Evil" type of villains. If that is indeed the case, wouldn't it have been easier for

Just wondering.

Major Tom :confused:

At the point someone is willing to set off a nuke, logic is generally not an option.

Now where's the fun in that? :D