Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Pathfinder Society is Paizo's answer to a "Lving" world. All characters start off following strict rules that limit item access, so everyone starts off and stays about even.

Pathfinder is the current version AD&D (also sometimes called 3.75)

Pathfinder Linky

...I knew that. I blame allergies. :doi:

...I knew that. I blame allergies. :doi:

Boy, can I identify with the allergy comment. I blame them directly for physical lethargy.I blame them indirectly for mental lethargy. "I'm having trouble focusing because of my allergy medicine." used to be a common comment. Most of my current medicines do not do this, and the one that sometimes does I take infequently - only when needed - which this time of year is almost every day.

THE WELL OF THE WORLDS

Session 2

The Cast

Billy Jo Earl Brown -- construction worker from the state of Georgia.

Calvin Murdoch -- frustrated artist.

Cyan Chartreuse -- ex-Army medic, now an EMT.

Donovan Knight -- ex-Air Force, now an airline pilot.

Edward Aldrich -- ex-Army, now a computer tech.

Marcus Dreamseed Anderson -- 17 year-old whiz kid and technical prodigy.

Marcus Dreamseed Anderson is searching for saltpeter to make gunpowder.

Billy Jo Earl Brown is tomcatting around the pretty women.

Donovan Knight to Marcus: "We may need that stuff for other things."

Billy Jo Earl Brown (OOC): "If the geek gets laid before me it'll be a personal failure."

Billy Jo Earl Brown on the sexual mores in Fyrkat Village (OOC): "I love this palce.”

The PCs appoint Edward Aldrich "shoot first and ask questions never" as their conscience. The concept boggles the GM.

The PCs appoint Billy Jo Earl Brown "Kirk is my role model for alien diplomacy" as their moral guide.

GM: "...that'll only happen if the campaign runs on the Rule of Funny."

Player: "Mike, look at your players."

Marcus Dreamseed Anderson: "Sometimes I space out because I'm thinking hard. Sometimes it's boobies."

Marcus Dreamseed Anderson (OOC): "We're fighting a race of Andre the Giants?"

GM: "These guys [the villagers] are up for it."

Marcus Dreamseed Anderson the scrawny teen (OOC): "Yeah, but they're in shape and stuff!"

Marcus Dreamseed Anderson (OOC): "The come in 3 sizes: bigger than me, lots bigger and Oh, Sh*t!"

Calvin Murdoch (OOC): "Does this mean we're the red shirts?"

GM: "Yes."

Calvin Murdoch comments on the fight taking place (OOC): “I work in a mail room, and this is not D&D.”

Billy Jo Earl Brown on observing an injured ally: "I call upon my expert medical knowledge. Cyan! He's hurt!"

Donovan Knight to Cyan Chartreuse (OOC): "Come on—give Dalla [injured Hunting Person/catgirl] mouth-to-mouth. We're all gathered to watch."

Calvin Murdoch (OOC): "It's for science."

A month passes and Marcus*introduces new concepts to*the medieval village (gunpowder, distilling, etc).

Player: "You're violating the Prime Directive!"

Marcus Dreamseed Anderson (OOC): "I'm not only violating the Prime Directive, I'm actively raping that f**ker and making it cry."

At the after-game talk: "We are a group of sick, deviant bastards."

I (druid) and my friend (barbarian) waltz into a slum-tavern in the Wharf District of Delphi. (greek D&D campaign)

I walk up to the bar tender and say "Hello!"

Bar tender: "Hello.."

Me: "You look like an upstanding citizen.. How about I buy you a drink, on the house!"

*I succeed on my bluff check miracualously, even though I have no ranks"

Bar tender: "sure!"

*he gives it to me and I succeed again on a Sleight of Hand check to pour in a

potion of reduce person. He fails his will save*

*then the barbarian throws a sack over him, knocks him out, picks him up and

takes him out to the docks, puts him on a raft and pushes it out to sea.*

* Then I get behind the bar and am now the proprietor of the establishment.

Random guy: "I'd like a drink of strong ale!"

Me: "Sure. For 20 gp, you can have it on the house!" *I succeed on Bluff again*

Random guy: "Sound like a deal to me!"

Than that became the saying for the rest of the night, anytime anyone asked for something.

Also, my signature -----

. |

. V

I (druid) and my friend (barbarian) waltz into a slum-tavern in the Wharf District of Delphi. (greek D&D campaign)

I walk up to the bar tender and say "Hello!"

Bar tender: "Hello.."

Me: "You look like an upstanding citizen.. How about I buy you a drink, on the house!"

*I succeed on my bluff check miracualously, even though I have no ranks"

Bar tender: "sure!"

*he gives it to me and I succeed again on a Sleight of Hand check to pour in a

potion of reduce person. He fails his will save*

*then the barbarian throws a sack over him, knocks him out, picks him up and

takes him out to the docks, puts him on a raft and pushes it out to sea.*

* Then I get behind the bar and am now the proprietor of the establishment.

Wow... and your alignment is???

Player 1: [Tells Player 2 to do something already in combat.]

Player 2: I rolled a 20 to grapple the shark but 'Oh, sharks get an attack of opportunity.'" [The shark bit his character, which cancelled his attack roll.]

Player 3: Well that's why there aren't any shark wrestlers.

Originally posted by Susano:

(No, it's for all the catgirl-loving otakus who are looking for some cheap thrills.)

(Unless one of the players in this group has an active Smut Field with Indirect,

Megascale with No Conscious Control, they can't really claim the title of "sick,

deviant bastards".)

Major Tom 2009 :eg:

Originally posted by Susano:

(No, it's for all the catgirl-loving otakus who are looking for some cheap thrills.)

(Unless one of the players in this group has an active Smut Field with Indirect,

Megascale with No Conscious Control, they can't really claim the title of "sick,

deviant bastards".)

We'll, we try.

Wow... and your alignment is???

His alignment might be what I joked some people that I played with were: Chaotic greedy.
Actually, I like to think of it as Neutral Awesome. But actually neutral good, i believe. Occasionally we just like to go on role-playing digressions to have some fun. We don;t kill anyone. That's guy on the raft would have come to eventually and come to no harm.

Scene: Party of 16 level: Troll (Fighter/Disciple of Dispater), Elf Skeleton (warlock), Halfling (Sorcerer/Tech Smith/Chirurgeon), Salt Mummy (Druid), Human (Favoured Soul) Pixie (rogue), all lawful evil. Oh, ya, and we're all riding an undead black dragon named Foo-Foo Cudleypoops. We're in the equivalent of the first layer of the Nine Hells of Baator, and we stumble across a large battle field depicting the horror that is the Blood War. Intent on eliminating those demon bastards, we swoop down..

Human: "I begin casting Word of Law."

DM: "Okay. So you swoop down and you're like 'That's just the WAY IT IS!"

Suffice it to say.... he killed a lot of demons.

BunnySue has started up her Pulps Champions campaign - "Chronicles of the Agency." (Or "Agents of the Agency" or "The Legion of Justice and Pie" depending on who you ask.) Here's a batch of quotes from our first resumed session.

---

The Agents:

The Patriot - Mild-mannered Captain Tom Jefferson transforms in the star-spangled powerhouse with the magic words, "By the Dawn's Early Light!" (Played by teh Bunneh)

Rocket Ranger - Aviator and inventor Brett Tucker uses his murdered uncle's advanced rocket pack and weapon gauntlets to protect the innocent. (Played by yours truly)

Clubber - Folk musician Charlie Varens uses his superhuman strength and nigh-invulnerability to defend the common, working man. (Played by our friend Ron)

Havoc - Mysterious Annabelle Leonard gained ghost and luck powers and gave up the thieving life to seek new, more worthwhile challenges. (Played by my wife Kate)

The Mighty Huntress - A blood transfusion give mousy librarian Elsie Ashby the ability to take on a half-tiger and all-woman feline form. (Also played by teh Bunneh)

Nightwatch - Texas Ranger Jeb utilizes his dark shadow powers to deal with kind of threats even Rangers cannot handle. (Played by QuerySphinx)

---

Teh Bunneh explains that Patriot's Regeneration power also works when he's in his normal form...

Tom Jefferson (OOC): You can't kill the Spirit of Accounting!

Rocket Ranger prefers to fly to team meetings, which is why he's rarely late...

Rocket Ranger: The way I travel there isn't much concern about traffic.

During a discussion about which parts of North America constitute the United States...

Patriot: You know that Texas has been part of the Union for many decades now.

Havoc: Did anyone inform the Texans of that?

The team is introduced to the newly recruited Nightwatch...

Tom Jefferson: Okay, besides being a Texas Ranger, what else do you do?

Nightwatch: What else is there? :straight:

The team prepares for their new mission to the backwoods of Siberia...

GM: Ranger, you did receive a large plane earlier in the week and you were ordered to get it insulated for arctic conditions.

Rocket Ranger: So...I shouldn't have disassembled it last night, huh? :o

Agent Libby Belle (our mission coordinator) assures newcomer Nightwatch that the team is not as crackpot as it appears...

Agent Belle (NPC): They are professionals.

Havoc: Insofar as we get paid to do what we do. :winkgrin:

Several of team members wonder why Tom Jefferson is coming on the mission. His response is something about minding the expense accounts...

Nightwatch: What are we going to buy in the middle of Siberia?

Havoc: That's what he's afraid of.

During the flight to Siberia, Tom continues to try and learn more about Nightwatch's capabilities...

Tom Jefferson: So I know it's "one riot, one Ranger," but how many Rangers per herd of prehistoric dinosaurs?

Since the Patriot is 'scouting ahead' and not present, the team describes the hero to the newest recruit...

Rocket Ranger: The Patriot can't die. Well, he can die but he'll eventually come back. It happened at least once. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Nightwatch: Which? The dying part or the coming back?

In the midst of a violent winter storm, Rocket Ranger is forced to land their aircraft...

Rocket Ranger: We're close enough. I"m putting this crate on the ground.

Tom Jefferson: In one piece please! :angst:

Describing the isolated, snow-covered valley...

GM: You see giant mammoths, whooly rhinos, and huge prehistoric bison.

Mighty Huntress: Oh boy! Finally I'll get to fight dinosaurs! :bounce:

While scouting the valley, the team meets up with a pair of mammoth hunters...

NPC: My name is Valentina. I am the chieftain's daughter?

Havoc: Chieftain?

Rocket Ranger: Daughter?

During an interview with the leaders of the lost tribe of primitives living in the Siberian valley...

NPC Crone: You are from America.

Nightwatch: Texas actually.

Tom Jefferson: Yes, but the rest of us are from America.

---

More next week! Enjoy!

Lonewalker

Also doing some catchup on teh Bunneh's Fantasy HERO campaign. I haven't been very good about collecting quotes but here are a few that I've gathered:

---

The Party

Lady Isobelle Hawthorne: Noblewoman and duelist hand-picked to be the local Baron's captain-of-the-guard. Has a bloodthirsty streak.

Quion Rake: A taciturn and intense magician and alchemist turned humble clerk. Also in the service of the local Baron.

Damien Wrathchild: A man of mystery and cunning hiding from a dark secret from his past. Rumored to be the Baron's spymaster.

Lieutenant Niamh O’Derry: Professional warrior serving as an officer in the Apotic Corps of the Draconians - the kingdom's elite police force.

Wythri Majaera: Elven sage-in-training and spellcaster (secretly a Wild Mage).

Wallace Gunn: A good-old-boy turned druid who carries a big stick. Assigned as forester to the Baron.

Bri Leth: A daring warrior-poet from Kalon. In town in search of excitement.

Describing the capabilities of the shadowy Wrathchild...

Isobelle (OOC): Damien's the "God-Damn-Batman" of this campaign.

When comments are made about Lady Hawthorne's flamboyant style of dress...

Isobelle (OOC): She's not Lady Gaga...she's Lady Hawthorne.

The party member Bri Leth arrives in Foxton and chats up one of the locals...

Bri: So, is there anything interesting happening in town?

NPC Townsman: Well, a man got hung the other day. :straight:

Bri: Really? Where did he get hung?

NPC Townsman: From the neck. :straight:

The party is assembled to battle a vicious Chimera in the surrounding woods. The monster proves too powerful for the group and Hawthorne orders a retreat...

Gunn: But the Baron ordered us to destroy this monster!

Isobelle: No, the Baron ordered to find out what it was so we could hire professionals to kill the monster!

Gunn: Oh, well, that changes everything!

Discussing character skill-set options...

Gunn: There's always something for a combat monster character to do...because you can always start fights. :eg:

Talking demon control with the Baron of Foxton...

Quion: I may have developed a method to banish the demon for about one hundred years or so.

Baron Mathieu: Good idea - we can just kick the can down the road a ways. :thumbup:

Everyone Else: :nonp:

Baron Mathieu: Actually, I'll probably still alive in a hundred years so that might not work for me. :think:

After Quion reports that the demon that has been tempting him at night has not gained a foothold in his psyche...

Isobelle: I'm comforted to know that demons have as much trouble talking to him as we do.

---

And recently, teh Bunneh ran a one-shot involving the Irregulars, a group of misfit members of the Draconian military police:

Niahm O'Derry: The same character described at the top.

Sgt. Will: The 'faceman' of the squad.

Officer Uri Barechest: A boisterous northern barbarian.

Officer Candor Silverstone: A haughty Elfin wizardress.

Officer Ironbreaker Benjamin: A gruff Dwarven armorsmith.

Officer Radley Tunnelmouse: A cautious Hobbit scout.

Trainee James Jameson: A young Priest of the Trinity.

The Elf is politely superior...

Candor: I'm not arrogant. I'm just aware of my place on the evolutionary chain.

Uri: The anchor?

Speaking to the diminutive Tunnelmouse...

Niahm: The water in the sewers is rather deep so you'll be riding on Uri's shoulders.

Jameson: Actually, we just really want someone within striking distance of Uri's head.

After Benjamin continues to struggle with navigating the underground sewers...

Uri: I thought Dwarves were supposed to be good at this?

Candor: Well, we thought clerics were supposed to be good at healing spells and skills...

Jameson: :cry:

There is still no love for poor Jameson as the sewer zombies attack...

Uri: All right, people, women and Jameson to the rear!

Candor: You repeated yourself there...

Jameson: :cry:

It's okay - Uri gets his brunt of abuse as well...

Candor: If the zombies want to eat brains, why does it keep going after Uri?

Radley: It's on a diet.

Following a violent maximum damage Haymaker by Uri that splatters a zombie's remains over his teammates...

Benjamin: Be careful where you point your barbarian. :idjit:

---

And just a random quotes from the last game:

ghost-angel: Is this Screaming Monkey stuff any good?

---

I'll hopefully have more next weekend. Enjoy!

Lonewalker

BunnySue has started up her Pulps Champions campaign - "Chronicles of the Agency." (Or "Agents of the Agency" or "The Legion of Justice and Pie" depending on who you ask.) Here's a batch of quotes from our first resumed session.

---

The Agents:

The Patriot - Mild-mannered Captain Tom Jefferson transforms in the star-spangled powerhouse with the magic words, "By the Dawn's Early Light!" (Played by teh Bunneh)

Rocket Ranger - Aviator and inventor Brett Tucker uses his murdered uncle's advanced rocket pack and weapon gauntlets to protect the innocent. (Played by yours truly)

Clubber - Folk musician Charlie Varens uses his superhuman strength and nigh-invulnerability to defend the common, working man. (Played by our friend Ron)

Havoc - Mysterious Annabelle Leonard gained ghost and luck powers and gave up the thieving life to seek new, more worthwhile challenges. (Played by my wife Kate)

The Mighty Huntress - A blood transfusion give mousy librarian Elsie Ashby the ability to take on a half-tiger and all-woman feline form. (Also played by teh Bunneh)

Nightwatch - Texas Ranger Jeb utilizes his dark shadow powers to deal with kind of threats even Rangers cannot handle. (Played by QuerySphinx)

---

Teh Bunneh explains that Patriot's Regeneration power also works when he's in his normal form...

Tom Jefferson (OOC): You can't kill the Spirit of Accounting!

Rocket Ranger prefers to fly to team meetings, which is why he's rarely late...

Rocket Ranger: The way I travel there isn't much concern about traffic.

During a discussion about which parts of North America constitute the United States...

Patriot: You know that Texas has been part of the Union for many decades now.

Havoc: Did anyone inform the Texans of that?

The team is introduced to the newly recruited Nightwatch...

Tom Jefferson: Okay, besides being a Texas Ranger, what else do you do?

Nightwatch: What else is there? :straight:

The team prepares for their new mission to the backwoods of Siberia...

GM: Ranger, you did receive a large plane earlier in the week and you were ordered to get it insulated for arctic conditions.

Rocket Ranger: So...I shouldn't have disassembled it last night, huh? :o

Agent Libby Belle (our mission coordinator) assures newcomer Nightwatch that the team is not as crackpot as it appears...

Agent Belle (NPC): They are professionals.

Havoc: Insofar as we get paid to do what we do. :winkgrin:

Several of team members wonder why Tom Jefferson is coming on the mission. His response is something about minding the expense accounts...

Nightwatch: What are we going to buy in the middle of Siberia?

Havoc: That's what he's afraid of.

During the flight to Siberia, Tom continues to try and learn more about Nightwatch's capabilities...

Tom Jefferson: So I know it's "one riot, one Ranger," but how many Rangers per herd of prehistoric dinosaurs?

Since the Patriot is 'scouting ahead' and not present, the team describes the hero to the newest recruit...

Rocket Ranger: The Patriot can't die. Well, he can die but he'll eventually come back. It happened at least once. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Nightwatch: Which? The dying part or the coming back?

In the midst of a violent winter storm, Rocket Ranger is forced to land their aircraft...

Rocket Ranger: We're close enough. I"m putting this crate on the ground.

Tom Jefferson: In one piece please! :angst:

Describing the isolated, snow-covered valley...

GM: You see giant mammoths, whooly rhinos, and huge prehistoric bison.

Mighty Huntress: Oh boy! Finally I'll get to fight dinosaurs! :bounce:

While scouting the valley, the team meets up with a pair of mammoth hunters...

NPC: My name is Valentina. I am the chieftain's daughter?

Havoc: Chieftain?

Rocket Ranger: Daughter?

During an interview with the leaders of the lost tribe of primitives living in the Siberian valley...

NPC Crone: You are from America.

Nightwatch: Texas actually.

Tom Jefferson: Yes, but the rest of us are from America.

---

More next week! Enjoy!

Lonewalker

Hoo-boy...somebody should remind the librarian that cold-blooded beasties tend to

function very poorly under arctic conditions. So no XDF* for Huntress this time, un-

less there's something really weird about the prehistoric life in Siberia.

As to Tom/Patriot's question about "One riot, one Ranger" and how it applies to

dinosaurs...let's just say that there was a good reason that folks in the West made

large-gauge shotguns, pistols with calibers starting with ".4" and my personal fav-

orite, the Sharps "Big 50" rifle. Park a round from that puppy in the right place,

and pretty much any critter alive (regardless of whether or not it's the size of a

T-Rex) won't be getting back up once it's down.

*XDF: Extreme Dinosaur Fighting.

EDIT: I find myself picturing Chuck Norris in the role of Nightwatch...what lines of his

that are in this post strike me as being the same sort that Norris used during his time

as Walker, Texas Ranger.

"In Siberia, you not have to look for monster. In Siberia, monster comes looking

for you."

Not many quotes this week. The D&D was postponed on account of illness, and the Cthulhu wasn't taped (sorry, userinfo.gifkyu_kage ). More importantly, the players didn't buggerise around as much this session. Indeed, I was very pleased with them - they followed all the clues and trails of inquiry, and discovered everything they needed to resolve the case.

At the end of last session - or at least the bit I was resetting from - the investigators had arrived in town to investigate one peculiar death, discovered that the local police sergeant had done nothing to solve it, discovered an equally suspicious death from a few years earlier that the sergeant likewise swept under the carpet, and a police raid on a cult a few years before that that left 11 dead and a farmhouse burned to the ground. Amy has caught up with them and is slightly alarmed by the Austrian Doctor that McGinty has talked into coming along.

Amy
:
*hissed aside to Pvt. Rondale*
Why did we hook up with him?

Pvt. Rondale
:
*hissed back*
I don't know! It was McGinty's idea!

One of the reasons they mistrust him is his enthusiasm for the occult, and the fact he's the only medic McGinty could actually talk into listening to him.

Pvt. Rondale
: He's the only one that would read the books!

Amy
: That's not a good sign!

Reviewing the amazingly multicultural investigators they've had so far.

Dr. von Habsburg
: I'm Austrian.

Amy
: There's been the Colonel - he's English. Professor Engeleins, German. You, American.

Pvt. Rondale
: And McGinty.

Me, GM
: Who's Irish, which can't be helped.

Their cover story is that Dr. von Habsburg and his nurse are looking to establish a country retreat for some of his patients, and attempt to correct the local attorney's correct first impression of McGinty as he drives them out to the site of the farmhouse.

Amy
: He's no problem, most of the time.

Attorney
:
*checks rear view mirror to see McGinty drinking at the wheel, weaving all over the road, as von Habsburg and Rondale clutch their seats and scream*

Regarding the local police obstacle

McGinty
: He's a man of the law. I respect that.

Rondale & Amy
:
*assorted choking noises*

There was also a moment of hilarity - for me - when McGinty puts a sledgehammer through an Elder Sign and only then realises what he's just done. Fortunately nothing blasphemously indescribable happens just yet, apart from an appalling odor from the revealed shaft. It puts McGinty in mind of some of The Night Patrols he went on in the Great War, and he loses his breakfast. Dr. von Habsburg seems immune to the stench, oddly.

McGinty
: He's nobility! His head's so far up his own arse he can't smell anything else!

Regarding possible reactions to the eldritch horror they've just released. In userinfo.gifratfan's words - Exchange between Amy Wells (Bostonian upper class), who is a fairly recent arrival to the world of Elder Gods, and McGinty, who knows enough about it to have been driven fairly crazy already:

Amy
: "Why don't we start running now?"

McGinty
: "That wouldn't solve the f....ing problem. The thing would just take over this place, then move out towards, say, Boston."

Amy
: "Boston!"

McGinty
: "
Now
she's interested!"

A body is found at the bottom of the shaft, broken from a fall.

Dr. von Habsburg
: I diagnose acute gravity poisoning

The investigators start to suspect they're having problems with fairies. The original variety, with the timeslips, terror, and avoid-at-all-costs.

McGinty
: Hey, now I never saw the leprechaun. The Reverend did.

other
: And
look what happened to him.

Which somehow got the players and alas myself talking about Smurf gender imbalance.

Habsburg's player
: Perhaps the Smurfs smurfed each other prison-style?