Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Actually' date=' I noticed that Drhoz's game didn't seem to be quite as... deadly as CoC has a reputation for being. He does seem to enjoy stringing the PCs along and in some cases, letting them destroy themselves by hanging themselves with GM—provided lengths of rope.[/quote']

I'm surprised myself how few of the PCs have actually died - Brannigan has been our only fatality. That said, the players have been *incredibly* lucky in some games.

I'm surprised myself how few of the PCs have actually died - Brannigan has been our only fatality. That said' date=' the players have been *incredibly* lucky in some games.[/quote']

Well... correct me if I'm wrong, but the pCs seem to have mostly dealt with cultists, thugs, and a few minor Mythos creatures (like Deep Ones.) So unlike the stereotypical COC scene of "you open the front door and there's Hastur! Take 1d100 SAN! LOL!" the PCs have managed to actually accomplish some goals before the awful knowledge of the universe finally pushes them over the edge. Except for McGinty. I mean, I don't think he can go insane. How would you tell?

Well... correct me if I'm wrong' date=' but the pCs seem to have mostly dealt with cultists, thugs, and a few minor Mythos creatures (like Deep Ones.) So unlike the stereotypical COC scene of "you open the front door and there's Hastur! Take 1d100 SAN! LOL!" the PCs have managed to actually accomplish some goals before the awful knowledge of the universe finally pushes them over the edge. Except for McGinty. I mean, I don't think he can go insane. How would you tell?[/quote']

...He'd start making sense?

Or is that proof you've gone insane?

Actually' date=' I noticed that Drhoz's game didn't seem to be quite as... deadly as CoC has a reputation for being. He does seem to enjoy stringing the PCs along and in some cases, letting them destroy themselves by hanging themselves with GM—provided lengths of rope.[/quote']

That's not rope; that's nameless entrails.

Well... correct me if I'm wrong' date=' but the pCs seem to have mostly dealt with cultists, thugs, and a few minor Mythos creatures (like Deep Ones.) So unlike the stereotypical COC scene of "you open the front door and there's Hastur! Take 1d100 SAN! LOL!" the PCs have managed to actually accomplish some goals before the awful knowledge of the universe finally pushes them over the edge. Except for McGinty. I mean, I don't think he can go insane. How would you tell?[/quote']

True. I'm preserving their characters for Masks of Nyarlathotep. MWAHAHAHA

That's not rope; that's nameless entrails.

Semantics.

Better than named entrails "You suddenly realise what happened to that nice old lady Granny Wintergreen that lived next door - SAN rolls!"

Actually, I'm reminded of a favourite exchange from 'Frasier'.

In refererence to Frasier's really really Evil agent, a friend says "Oh, come on, it's not like she worships the Devil."

To which Frasier heatedly replies, "She doesn't have to. He worships her."

Seems to me that McGinty has something of the same quality. Maybe he's really a fledgling Elder God, he just doesn't know it yet.

Actually, I'm reminded of a favourite exchange from 'Frasier'.

In refererence to Frasier's really really Evil agent, a friend says "Oh, come on, it's not like she worships the Devil."

To which Frasier heatedly replies, "She doesn't have to. He worships her."

Seems to me that McGinty has something of the same quality. Maybe he's really a fledgling Elder God, he just doesn't know it yet.

I've suggested that basic idea before.

In our Exalted game, we were ambused in our house by a group of Dragonbloods and Godbloods from a local crime syndicate. One of the Lunar No-Moons has an easy time with her opponent. She walks out of the room saying, "I just got lucky in bed."

We had to take a five minute break after that.

Proof indeed that Smut Fields(Tm) are not exclusive to Australia...(:eg:)

Major Tom 2009 :snicker:

I may have said 'surviving' when I meant 'remaining' - neither Amy nor Lucy's players have been to the guild in months, so their characters are effectively retired. Investigator death is practically a given in Cthulhu, so Amy, Lucy, and the other PCs I've had to retire because of players getting night jobs etc, probably got out out while the going was good - lucky them :D

that said...

The various fates and mental disorders of the investigators, as they stand in June 1924.

Jack Brannigan - Broken, dismembered, eaten, machine-gunned, and dead.

Sydney Delthorn - Neurotic and prone to nervous tension after reading the Necronomicon cover-to-cover in an attempt to discover and undo whatever a hyena-headed sorcerer had done to them. Desperate to hide any Mythos knowledge that comes to MU.

Pers ‘Hammer’ Dragovic, PI - Still mortally afraid of any cases that hint at supernatural involvement. Reluctant to involve his friends, but may have to.

Dr Terrence Elliot - Still available to his one-time compatriots, in cases where bodies need to be quietly autopsied, or curious injuries cared for without bringing in too much official attention.

Prof Steven Engelein - Location unknown. Investigators speculate he's standing on a street corner in Moscow, waiting to assassinate a geneticist 10 years before he can cause trouble.

Blake Harrington, Private Eye - Avoids the other PCs assiduously. No great loss.

The Reverend Joe - A complete mental vegetable, in a home for bewildered clergy. No sign of recovery in the months since the unfortunate incident.

The Amazing Julius ( Guiliano Givetti ) - Looking forward to months of fame in Boston due to his involvement in the Crimson Gang capture. His agent advises him to milk it for all it's worth.

Col. Conrad LancasterDespite some months as an assortment of frozen bodyparts in McGinty's basement, and a brain in a Mi-Go canister on a shelf upstairs, taking it all amazingly well, considering. But that's the English stiff upper lip for you. Frozen stiff. Has been Resurrected, but amnesiac.

Patrick McGinty - Gleefully spiraling down into a haze of rotgut alcohol, necromancy, and gangsterism. Somehow still manages to come across as a fine, upstanding member of the public, despite the assorted frozen body-parts in his basement and the multiple crimes against people, property, God, & Nature that he commits on a weekly basis.

Prof. Alicia McPool – A Scots linguist, of exceptional talent and wealth. Alas, now plagued by a horrible screaming only she can hear.

Alexei Petrovich - location unknown. Never returned to New England after his experiences.

Lucy Smith - Has mostly refused to involve herself in anything involving the Mythos ever since her house exploded. Her increasing paranoia about her suspected hybrid ancestry has not helped. Currently sharing an apartment in Cambridge with Amy Wells, as she tries to rebuild her acting career from scratch.

Amy Wells - Back in Boston, and starting medical school. Continues to find the reality of the universe difficult to handle, and would gladly turn her back on its horrors if she believed the world would survive if she did.

Pvt Paul Rondale - For the time being bursting with confidence and flush with cash, his new-found optimism for the future including putting more money towards his sibling's education, and ensuring that even if something ghastly does happen to him, the work of his compatriots can continue.

Dr Heinrich Augustus von Habsburg - Recovering well from being axed in the back.

Hope you enjoy the HPL :)

Hmmmm... at the rate he's going, by the time that McGinty buys the farm, there's

going to be an entirely new level in Hell reserved exclusively for him.

Of course, McGinty being who and what he is, he'll undoubtebly find ways to terror-

ize his "neighbors" -- crashing demonic orgies, hitting on the succubi, etc. In other

words, if the folks way Down South think that it's bad down there now, just wait

till McGinty gets there (:eg:).

Major Tom 2009 :sneaky:

Hmmmm... at the rate he's going, by the time that McGinty buys the farm, there's

going to be an entirely new level in Hell reserved exclusively for him.

Of course, McGinty being who and what he is, he'll undoubtebly find ways to terror-

ize his "neighbors" -- crashing demonic orgies, hitting on the succubi, etc. In other

words, if the folks way Down South think that it's bad down there now, just wait

till McGinty gets there (:eg:).

Major Tom 2009 :sneaky:

Oh dear God. I can see McGinty being effectively immortal. If you kill him, he just comes back. Why? Because neither Hell nor Heaven will take him!

Oh dear God. I can see McGinty being effectively immortal. If you kill him' date=' he just comes back. Why? Because neither Hell nor Heaven will take him![/quote']

Worse. He already knows the Resurrect spell and has taught it to his friends. This suited Lancaster at least, since there was no way he was going to trust McGinty to Resurrect him properly.

Admittedly, Resurrect only works if you have all the bits. Which is a rare occurrence in cthuvian-monster-related demise.

Worse. He already knows the Resurrect spell and has taught it to his friends. This suited Lancaster at least, since there was no way he was going to trust McGinty to Resurrect him properly.

Admittedly, Resurrect only works if you have all the bits. Which is a rare occurrence in cthuvian-monster-related demise.

Obviously, he needs to improve it.

D&D - Rumbaba et al investigate

GM
: The space under the stairs has been walled off...

Rumbaba
: ... and contains Harry Potter

Rumbaba
: We were attacked by bandits but we beat them off

Adrie
: *snickers*

Rumbaba
: Glad to see *you* got it
:D

GM
: There's a pavilion in the yard

Rumbaba
: It's a gazebo! Kill it!

GM
: You're too low level to encounter a gazebo

GM
: Are you traveling under a pseudonym?

Rumbaba
: A pseudonym? Is that anything like a pseudo-dragon? How many hit dice does it have?

GM
: .... I'm going have to stat up a pseudonym now. Pseudonymph? Elf cross-dresser.

Rumbaba
: If they're hanging a red lantern outside the window, that *would* explain the extra income stream...

Arjhan
: Hitting the lantern with lightning was subtle.

Rumbaba
: Subtle? Is this some obscure usage of the term of which I was hitherto unaware?

New PC - a halfling with assorted concealed weapons

Rumbaba
: How very suspicious - as everyone knows, halflings are all thieving bastards.

As suspected, the lantern was a signal - the innkeepers are in league with bandit Captain Starbright, who launches a surprise attack that completely fails to derail us.

Rumbaba
: We're police - we're too stupid to be intimidated

Rumbaba
: I'm sure he'd give us a better parting quip if we hadn't just handed his arse to him

Tarmikos
: I continue the Song of Courage

Rumbaba
: 'la-la-la-I'm-going-to-use-your-scrotum-as-a-coin-purrrrrse'

GM
: you *have* to kill this guy, his witty repartee is *terrible*

Arjhan
: I think it best if the children - and you two - wait outside

Rumbaba
: 'The grown-ups are talking now'

GM
: How do you two take this blatant sizism?

Rumbaba
: It goes right over our heads.

Rumbaba OOC
: How many XP do we get for a three-story inn? And we intimidated that gazebo....

Call of Cthulhu - The Pale God, Continued. Some spoilers ahead

Having finally succeeded in their attempts to reduce the Martensen House to a pile of burning wreckage, McGinty, Rondale & Givetti go their separate ways - Givetti returning to his stage magic tour, and the others to Arkham to get back into the business of auto repair and scamming the voting public.

GM
: I have to admit, the warning "Go to the House of the Worm - destroy it!" did possess a certain ambiguity

The latter are quite enjoying the newspaper the next morning, until they get to the paragraph about the huge trapdoor discovered in the Martensen cellar, and the Boston police intention to investigate it as soon as the building stops smouldering. After some debate, and more arguments about having Bob The Pus-Spider running around in his bottle on the breakfast table, McGinty and Rondale decide they can't let this situation stand, and prepare for another night expedition back to the house, with more dynamite, grenades, and a small armoury.

GM
: Probably wise - the Boston police haven't had a very good year in certain respects - seven killed trying to take down the Crimson Gang and their 'Nepalese Attack Boar', more arresting the Sylvan Night cult, another three at the Mansion of Madness... and what do we learn from all this?
Leave cult-busting to the professionals.

The two park well down the hill and walk up to the ruin. To their irritation, the police have left a man on watch at the wreckage. At least they can argue political techniques whilst they wait for him to fall asleep. Slandering the opponents seems like a good idea.

McGinty
: My opponent has done nothing to stop Boston police exploding into pus spiders! He says an invisible monster invaded his office!

Rondale
:
emulating a six-foot-tall invisible rabbit
'Hello Paddy...'

McGinty
: Shut up Harvey

They argue plans for their spelunking expedition, whilst I prepare to introduce a new player.

McGinty
: So we're sending our love down the hole

GM
: The most important skills are Library Use, Spot Hidden, & Dodge. So you can anticipate what's going to eat you, see what's going to eat you, and - in theory - avoid being eaten.

But first McGinty strangles the watchman unconscious, stuffs a sock in mouth, and leaves him propped up against a wall with a $100 dollars in his pocket for the trouble. The situation down the hole is almost as vile as McGinty's sock, with thousands of the squirming pus spiders climbing over the walls and ladder and ceiling. A few gallons of gasoline and a flare clears the bulk away from the shaft anyway, but the tunnels at the bottom head off in every direction, and if they link up to the other tunnels they know exist under Boston, might well extend for miles. The squirming things drop onto their heads and shoulders on a regular basis, but happily, both thought to bring army helmets.

Both are alert enough to prepare an ambush when they hear something larger than the pus-spiders coming from ahead. It turns out to be a man, filthy with mud and crushed creature, miner's helmets long out of power, shotgun - an automatic shotgun!!!! - out of bullets, and mind out of sanity. As far as his profoundly disturbed mind can recall, he's been down here for hours, or possibly days, feeling his way around, crushing thousands of the things underfoot and underhand, until he saw their lights up ahead. He's very very glad to see them. But unsurprisingly, he's also severely scotophobic, obsessive-compulsive, and amnesiac, demanding pen and paper so he can draw intricate mathematical calculations and diagrams at every opportunity, and reduced to panic at any threat to take away his new flashlight. He doesn't remember much. Only that something very bad was going to happen, that his friends were fighting something in the tunnels, and that he had to get away. Gates are good. There's safety on the far side of Gates. Like the one they find shortly thereafter, and step through into tunnels even larger, and even more thickly swarming with pus-spiders.

There's a ladder over here too, leading up into a farmer's cottage. And, worryingly, daylight. They could be anywhere in the world, and to McGinty's fury, it turns out to be England. At least it still appears to be 1924 - they're starting to suspect the lunatic they found in the tunnels came from somewhen else. The farmer is working his fields nearby, and is clearly surprised to see them. As anybody would be, when three-mud-covered foreigners, in army clothes and steel helmets, carrying assorted shotguns, grenades and a machine gun, turn up and start asking you if you know there's tunnels swarming with pus-spiders under your house.

The farmer does know, but apart from increasing evidence that he's not quite right in the head, seems unconcerned by the fact. Or the claim that that McGinty and friends came through the tunnels, from America.

Farmer
: Spiders? Spiders? Arr. 'Course I do. Spiders. Wha abarrem? They never 'urt nubuddy.

Farmer
: America? Oh arr. Long frogging tunnel. People? People? So wha, people all 'bout tha frogging things. Evrywarr.

They ask him to show them where these other people in the tunnels are, which he seems happy enough to do, despite arming himself with a rock salt-loaded shotgun first, and muttering to himself all the way.

Farmer
: Furge thangering muck witchellers rock throbblin' this time o' day Ur bin oughta gone put thickery blarmdasted zones about, gordangun, diddenum? Havver froggin' law onnum, shouldnum? Eh? Eh? Arn I?"

Hearing the sound of a child crying in a side tunnel, McGinty and Co. demand a detour. The child is Elspeth, the farmer's grandaughter, who seems very glad to see him and clutches to his leg, even though, she claims, it was Grandfather who brought her down here in the first place and told her to wait. He pats the child affectionately on the head, and asks if the men still want to see the other people in the tunnels. They'd rather get the girl back up into the house first, so they retrace their steps, and Grandfather heads up first, opens the trapdoor, and helps his granddaughter out of the hole. Then slams the trapdoor down on McGinty and the rest, heaving sacks of grain or something on top of the hatch.

Cursing their gullibility, McGinty stays at the top of the ladder, trying to shoot his way out. Down below, Rondale and Santorio note a marked increase in the activity of the pus-spiders, and the sound of something large moving in the darkness. Santorio shrieks "It's coming! It's coming!" and scrambles up the ladder, trying to push his way past McGinty at the top, even though the hatch is still closed. Rondale is pursuing closely, because he threw a flare and saw what was coming.

Despite all the screaming and panic and the loathsome plasticity of the thing oozing slowly up the shaft behind them, McGinty manages to heave the hatch open with a superhuman burst of panic, and they tackle the farmer to the ground before he can shoot them, grab Elspeth, and run for their lives. Not least because the thing, now filling most of the cottage, seems completely unconcerned by all the grenades and incendiary rounds and machine-gunning and magic they try to use against it.

Which is when things get strange. Stranger. Their flight peters out, and they look at each other in some confusion. They can't remember what they were running from.

McGinty
: Why were we running?

Rondale
: I don't know. I was running because
you
were running.

Cautiously sneaking back to the bend of the road, they see the cottage in ruins. They remember the tunnels and the pus-spiders and gunning the farmer down, but can't for the life of them remember what it was that provoked such panic and destruction. They decide they should try and find some authorities to hand Elspeth over to, and head down to the nearby village of Camside to report to the police, and send a telegram to America asking for some way to get home. McGinty, instead, heads to the pub, to insult the local beer and try and pay with American dollars. The publican holds his tongue, partly due to McGinty being grossly over-charged for the pint, but also because he's still carrying the machine-gun.

Rondale is trying to explain what happened to the town's constable, after given his name, and Office of (US) Naval Intelligence ID. His efforts are not helped by the arrival of McGinty and Santorio.

Constable
: And do you have a hunting permit for that shotgun, sir?

Rondale
: No. That's why I haven't been using it.

Constable
: Perhaps you could put it on the counter there?

Rondale
:
*puts the freshly-fired weapon on the shelf, and goes on to explain the situation at the house, where a shot-gunned corpse awaits the arrival of the authorities*

McGinty arrives, still drinking his pint, mud-covered, and bearing his machine gun.

Increasingly cautious constable
: And do you have a license for that weapon sir?

McGinty
: Sure thing - here ya go
*hands over license, which has his full name and address*

Constable
: This is an
American
license, sir.

McGinty
: Yeah, that's right, we're from America.

Constable
: I... see. And when did you arrive in the United Kingdom?

Santorio
: About 90 minutes ago? We came through a tunnel.

Constable
: I.... see. If you gentlemen could come through here? Just wait in this cell a while while I make you some tea and make a few phone calls.

The way McGinty exploits his accent to exercise his dislike of English cops - referring to him as Orificer & C*ntstable - does nothing to help matters. Although he does hand over his weapons when asked.

McGinty
: OK, here ya go
*hands over Tommy-gun*

Constable
:
*adds it to the pile*
Thank you

McGinty
: Oh hang on, I suppose you'll be wanting this too?
*holds up grenade*

Constable
:
*accepts it gingerly*
Is there anything else, sir?

McGinty
: Oh yes, this one too.
*waits until Constable has his hands full*
Gettim!
*jumps the officer and punches him unconscious

The trio make their escape out the back window, avoiding the small crowd now gathered outside the building to watch, pausing only to punch a neighbour out with one hit and steal the copper's wallet.

McGinty
: We're gonna need some English money, after all.

Escaping the subsequent manhunt by hiding under hedgerows and sneaking along until they reach the nearest town, and hole up in an abandoned house until nightfall, and Rondale can summon an invisible monster to fly them home. He'd summon a Winged Spirit Of The Air instead, but McGinty left the whistle back in Arkham. Santorio spends most of the wait inscribing Gate calculations on the walls, or at least the ones McGinty hasn't copied the summoning ritual onto. The flight back to New England isn't much fun either, what with the rubbery, invisible tittering mouths slobbering all over their skin, and the speed of thousands of miles an hour over the moonlit Atlantic, and Santorio's shrieking scotophobia. They were very lucky the night was cloudless enough to cast the ritual, given the police arrived at the house seconds after they started.

Now comparatively relaxed, McGinty and Rondale settle down to interrogate their new pet lunatic about his origins, and go through his wallet. It includes his Boston address, Drivers Licenses and ONI identification dated ten years in the future. But he can't remember much about how he got to tunnels under Boston in 1924. He remembers he started in tunnels under Boston, because some kind of Bomb was going to go off... and there were deadly white flowers... and that the tunnels were not as safe as he and his friends had hoped, and that his friends were holding THINGS off whilst he completed a spell...but his memory remains deeply confused.

They do try and get some important information out of the poor guy though. Such as who wins the World Series Baseball this year, and which stocks to invest in. Santorio vaguely recalls that New World Industries do very well, and McGinty buys $10,000 dollars worth. Also, they want to know if McGinty wins the upcoming election. Alas all Santorio can recall is that something happened to one of the candidates... and that there was some scandal... and McGinty had to leave the country suddenly, just after the elections in January 1925.

He does recall he was recruited by ONI in 1925. Something was happening in Egypt? It involved a mummy... but the rest is a blank.

The trio try to recall what it was that they were running from. They can deduce it was something large, and very scary, and probably immune to anything they tried against it. This makes them unhappy, and they resolve that the next time they find themselves overseas they'll hunt monsters that aren't immune to bullets.

McGinty
: You know what always helps me remember? Breakfast! Go make some.

McGinty
: I know! How about Australia. I hear they have drop-bears there that eat campers.

Rondale
: Drop-bears.

McGinty
: Yeah, they're animals, they can die

Rondale
: But it's Australia

McGinty
: Well maybe some have got into America now.

GM
: Sneaky immigrant drop-bears

McGinty
: Yeah. F***ing immigrant drop-bears.

An Arkham police officer arrives at the shop - they've just received word that one Patrick McGinty, given this address as his own, and two associates, are wanted for murder and assault in the UK, and they've come around to inquire as to his likely whereabouts. They're quite surprised to find him there. United Kingdom to the US in less than 24 hours? Impossible. McGinty uses this opportunity to mock ruthlessly.

McGinty
: So I was here in Arkham the very same day I supposedly killed somebody in England? ****, I must be a good shot.

Cop
: Yesss. Sorry to bother you Mr. McGinty.

McGinty
:
*turns and points finger West*
Look! I'm killing somebody in Japan now! Bang! Bang!

Rondale & Santorio head back down to Boston to see if Santorio is living at the same address in 1924. He is, and as 1930s Santorio hides and gibbers in the car, Rondale talks to the gentleman, a scholar and historian who knows nothing about ONI or the Mythos, apparently. Rondale pictures the report he's going to have to write up for his superiors.

Rondale
: *
headesk
* F*** my life

McGinty heads over to Martensen House to pick up his truck - which, thanks to amazingly good luck, the police haven't found yet. The police themselves, of course, did not react well to their watchman being assaulted, and went into the tunnels to apprehend those responsible. From what McGinty can gather, they took one look at the squirming mass of pus-spiders, and despite the footprints leading into the hole and not coming out again decided "**** this" and ordered the hatch concreted over.

McGinty is of course quite pleased with the incredible success with which they survived the last day's events, and the fact that it's apparently not going to cost any more lives.

McGinty
: We arsed through that completely cheeky.

Of course, back in the UK, the police are investigating another ruin and shaft...

The flight back to New England isn't much fun either' date=' what with the rubbery, invisible tittering mouths slobbering all over their skin, and the speed of thousands of miles an hour over the moonlit Atlantic, and Santorio's shrieking scotophobia.[/quote']

Clearly, international air travel has not improved greatly in eighty-six years. ;)

Clearly' date=' international air travel has not improved greatly in eighty-six years. ;)[/quote']

"Rubbery, invisible tittering mouths slobbering all over their skin" vs. "current TSA airport procedures" -- we might have actually regressed a bit there... ;)

A few more quotes I forgot to include

Showing the Cthulhu players one of the hundreds of handouts I've prepared or collected for the campaign - in this case, a photo of the nicely suburban and entirely innocuous house that McGinty has been illegally occupying and turning into five kinds of deathtrap.

GM
: ... and the Beetles live in the house to the left there.

Rondale's Player
: ... What?

GM
: Mr & Mrs Beetle.

Rondale's Player
: Oh, I see! I was thinking 'John Lennon lives in Arkham?!?'

In D&D

Tarmikos
: What else have you discovered about the inn?

Rumbaba
: Well, there's that plaque over the corner cubicle that says 'Reserved For Plot Hooks'

True. I'm preserving their characters for Masks of Nyarlathotep. MWAHAHAHA

Google for that one says Africa plays a key role. Hum.... they have hyenas there.

[chanting]VI-TUS! VI-TUS! VI-TUS![/chanting]

Google for that one says Africa plays a key role. Hum.... they have hyenas there.

[chanting]VI-TUS! VI-TUS! VI-TUS![/chanting]

Oh, I've got plans for Vitus - linked to certain mythology about hyena-man wizards in the Sudan and regions adjacent