Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Unless it were Ninja-Pirates.

(Don't laugh, but I have an actually quite realistic/logical idea for some for another RPG: A space pirate, that stows away on ship and disables them from the inside for his buddies...)

"We are the shadow who comes in the night and says 'Arrr'"

Embrace the Tao or ye walke the plank!

(Stolen from a Nodwick cartoon)

Gilred - Assassin/Shadow Mage

Griffin - Taxidermist/Generalist Mage

When I looked at this the first time, my brain blended the names together into "Gilfred"... which sounded like an amalgam of Gilbert Gottfried... which then broke my brain trying to imagine him as an Assassin/Shadow Mage.

Re:Not Exactly Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Okay, this isn't really quotes from a game. Maybe it doesn't belong here. But somehow I think it fits.

What it IS, is an email I wrote to C J Hulse, the designer of a role playing game called Trin'Dar that is still in beta playtest. I was going to address a couple of issues I have with his rules, but this story more or less sprang up in my mind, surrounding and illustrating the problems I saw. So, here it is.

Quicksilver Ali and Achmed the Agile are brothers who share everything. For instance, they share a DEX modifier of 3 and Acrobatics and Contortionist skills. They even share the attentions of Yasameen, whose own dextrous fingers dance skillfully upon her lute, and just as skillfully upon the two brothers.

Yasameen's father, Hasan the Grey Whiskered (may he rest in peace,) had three wives each of whom bore a child; Yasameen's half brothers, Hasan of the Keen Blade and Hasan of the Sharp Sword, think highly of their half sister and do not think Ali and Achmed worthy of her company. Thus it is that they have ambushed the two young heroes when the latter are unarmed.

Ali goes on Full Defense and begins to duck under the high thrust and leap over the low cut, to roll under the table and jump back over it, and generally rely on his quick reflexes and acrobatic talents to avoid the Keen Blade, which cuts him anyway. Achmed aggressively steps inside the guard of the Sharp Sword, being cut but at least landing a solid blow to the belly of his Hasan.

"All that evasiveness avails nothing" declares Achmed, "You are just as apt to be struck playing the fleeing gazelle as playing the pouncing tiger."

"You would think it would be otherwise" laments Ali, "But alas, the world does not work that way. But in truth, I do not want to kill or even hurt them, for has not Yasameen declared that if we kill her brothers we will never taste her honey dumplings, nor sit in her garden sipping her wine and hearing her play so delightfully on the lute?"

"Worse!" wails Achmed, "We would be denied the pleasures of her-"

"That's our sister you're talking about!" shout the Two Hasans, still striving to trade blows with Yasameen's elusive paramours.

"You were ever the crude one, Achmed" chides Ali.

"Let us strive to subdue them" suggests Achmed. "So be it, my brother!" agrees Ali "Let us beat them senseless, choke them to unconsciousness, or otherwise render them harmless but unharmed."

And so they fought for a few rounds, finding their own blows of little account compared to the strokes they recieved in return.

"She will never forgive us if we kill them" warned Ali. "Aye" agreed Achmed, "But I wll never forgive us if they kill us. There are other beautiful women. Surely we can find one who has no brothers, or no brothers intent upon our demise?" Ali cries out in anguish, but consents "Let us finish them then, for even Yasameen's ravishing music will not cause us to dance when we have ceased to breathe, and her hot tears will be no comfort to our cold corpses." And they set to work with fists and feet to put an end to the Two Hasans.

"Somehow it seems strange" muses Achmed as they look about for some place to hide the bodies and so purchase perhaps another few nights of Yasameen's delightful company before they are found, "Strange that it is easier for a man fighting bare handed to kill his foe outright, and harder to render his foe stunned and insensible."

"You would think it would be otherwise" agrees Ali "But alas, the world does not work that way. And yet, why should it seem to us that the world should be other than it is?"

"I have an odd fancy" offers Achmed as he picks the lock of a chest he judges large enough to hide the corpse of Hasan of the Sharp Sword "That there are other worlds, worlds where there are also taverns, where brawls break out when folk have had more drink than is good for them, just as we have often seen, and yet when the drunkards have done beating one another with fists and bottles and pool cues, they are all lying about perhaps bleeding, perhaps dead to the world, but mostly not dead."

"What's a pule koo?" asks Ali as he stuffs the mortal remains of Hasan of the Keen Blade into a chest.

"Some kind of bludgeon I think" says Achmed "I heard of it somewhere." He proceeds to thrust the Keen Blade through the breast of Hasan of the Sharp Sword, and the Sharp Sword through the breast of Hasan of the Keen Blade, before forcing both lids closed and relocking them, just to give whoever finds the bodies something to think about. Then the two begin cleaning up the blood.

As the brothers sit tearing bandages from a bolt of cloth they'd found in the chests Quicksilver Ali says thoughtfully "In such a world, more people might earn such a name as was borne by the father of the Two Hasans. What shall we do with the rest of this cloth, and the crockery, and that bag of jewels?"

"Wrap the crockery in cloth to silence it, and bundle it up" explains Achmed the Agile, "drop it in a well so it can't be traced to us. With any luck, Yasameen and her mother will conclude this was merely the work of common thieves. But we must avoid Yasameen until we are fully healed, or she will guess what Sharp Sword, what Keen Blade, has cut us so grievously. We shall see if these gems may buy us such healing as will erase our scars, and also purchase the healer's silence."

"How clever!" crows Quicksilver Ali "If they think of common thieves, they will never suspect US."

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

what was the criticism?

CES

"Full Defense" means you don't get an attack, but add the defense modifier for your weapon to your own defense. If you have no weapon, you get no defense modifier for it. It becomes, in Hero terms, a Dodge with DCV +0.

Further, your defense modifier is based on your skill with the weapon. If you don't have at least 3 levels of skill, you still don't get any defense modifier.

If you don't want to kill someone you can use subdual damage assuming you're fighting with blunt instruments, which explicitly does include fighting unarmed. Using the pommel of a sword or haft of an ax to knock someone out is specifically forbidden. If you go for subdual, your blows will only render your opponent unconscious, not dead, but you only do half damage.

The criticisms are marked by Achmed the Agile first stating the problem, and Ali responding "You would think that it would be otherwise. But alas, the world does not work that way."

You should have seen the way I tore into the draft version. I still mock, but this version is much improved I think.

But if we're going to talk about it, maybe I should give Trin'Dar its own thread.

Lucius Alexander

You would think there would be a palindromedary tagline here, and indeed, the world does work that way.

what was the criticism?

CES

The criticism is that in that game system its easier to kill than to subdue in unarmed combat. Generally, that is not the case in the real world, and the game testers believe that so it should be in the game world.

Achmed and Ali should have their own story thread in Fantasy Hero. :)

I'd put it in General Roleplaying, as Trin'Dar is its own system.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary muses that one episode might be Quicksilver Ali and Achmed the Agile Make Change

"Full Defense" means you don't get an attack, but add the defense modifier for your weapon to your own defense. If you have no weapon, you get no defense modifier for it. It becomes, in Hero terms, a Dodge with DCV +0.

Further, your defense modifier is based on your skill with the weapon. If you don't have at least 3 levels of skill, you still don't get any defense modifier.

If you don't want to kill someone you can use subdual damage assuming you're fighting with blunt instruments, which explicitly does include fighting unarmed. Using the pommel of a sword or haft of an ax to knock someone out is specifically forbidden. If you go for subdual, your blows will only render your opponent unconscious, not dead, but you only do half damage.

The criticisms are marked by Achmed the Agile first stating the problem, and Ali responding "You would think that it would be otherwise. But alas, the world does not work that way."

You should have seen the way I tore into the draft version. I still mock, but this version is much improved I think.

But if we're going to talk about it, maybe I should give Trin'Dar its own thread.

Lucius Alexander

You would think there would be a palindromedary tagline here, and indeed, the world does work that way.

Thanks for the clarification. There are a lot of games I have never seen much less played, and this is one of them.

CES

The criticism is that in that game system its easier to kill than to subdue in unarmed combat. Generally' date=' that is not the case in the real world, and the game testers believe that so it should be in the game world.[/quote']

Thanks, M

CES

FRom a fellow Player in our Pulp HERO game:

"Okay. Unspeakable evil, major threat to humanity, we're the only ones who can save the world. Must be a Wednesday...",

Yikes! I'd hate to see what Monday's look like...

Traveller Hero this weekend, the ships to Procurers (aka the scum sucking scoundrels they keep around because the bank account keeps growing... Eric and Harry) are discussing what to do with 4 suddenly captured robots, the Engineer Kurt has to listen to them:

Eric: We need to arm them.

Harry: Oh yes, man portable death stars.

Eric: A 6 Parsec recoil

Kurt: *just cries* That's not how it works!

Later on...

Eric: My greatest mistake was leaving that soccer mom alive on that planet...

Harry: Considering we had to leave because the entire sectors military forces were after us, I think, we can count that as a non-issue.

Eric: Maybe.

Kurt: See this map, all the red dots are sectors we can't return to because of you guys.

Harry: Doesn't seem like very many.

Kurt: It's a third of them!

Kurt: See this map, all the red dots are sectors we can't return to because of you guys.

Harry: Doesn't seem like very many.

Kurt: It's a third of them!

Considering that the average chance to have a planet in a sector is about 1/3, that's a lot....

But that reminds me of this one Simpson Episode