Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

From our most recent Pulp game, which contains a character that wore a mask and carried a gas gun that could spray knockout gas or create a smokescreen to blind people. It became a running joke that he was basically Darkwing Duck, so much so that he started fights with some kind of Darkwing like saying. The one that sticks out most in my mind was in our final game.

Shots a smokescreen shell into a group of bad guys, "Who's there?" a thug shouted to which our hero replied "I am the warm current in your pool."

Not as many RPG quotes as usual the last few weeks, what with the D&D 4th Ed game imploding, and Dark Heresy postponed from lack of players. We did play Chrononauts for a few hours instead though, which was fun, especially when games devolved into assassinating or rescuing historical figures, and other players undoing the damage to history, and repeated ad nauseum. Reagan was a popular target, as of course was Hitler.

Me
:
*Assassinating Hitler for the third time that game*
Hitler, in the Reichstag, with a lead pipe.

But I did get to run Call of Cthulhu for Rob and Leece at Swancon last night - the adventure 'Mr Corbitt' from Mansions of Madness. And picked up three more players as we went along.

I opened it with the conceit that the characters were a Bridge club that met weekly for a few rubbers, and were just packing up for the night when their nice neighbour across the road, the widower Bernie Corbitt, got home, and fumbled one of his parcels as he unlocked the door. That parcel being a severed child's arm. Naturally, this perturbed the characters, and they snuck across the road after dark to investigate, but heard only curious gurgling and electrical noises from the basement, where the lights were on but the blinds were drawn. They decided against breaking in - after all, that wouldn't be a very neighbourly thing to do, even if he did have a child's arm in the house. Although they were now perturbed by recollection of just how healthy and exuberant his vegetable garden grew...

The Major
: Do I have a pistol?

GM
: Not on you. You don't have a concealed carry licence either, although that's unlikely to be a problem. After all, you're not Irish or Italian. What reason would the police have to harass you? It's not like you're going to go around breaking into neighbour's houses because somebody told you they have human bodyparts on the premises.

The next day the four of them split up to hit the newspaper morgues, Sanitarium, and local hospital and cemeteries to confirm what they knew about their friend and neighbour, and try and discover the source of the arm.

Mrs DiMera
: We've got a mystery to solve.

The Major
: We need a large dog.

Mrs DiMera
: And a green van
:D

Dr Eliott
: Major! Good to see you. What can I do for you?

The Major
:
*holds up shaking hand*
I've these alcohol withdrawal symptoms

Dr Eliott
: Hold on a moment, I'll fix you up an alcohol prescription

The Major
: Do you do any dissections here?

Dr Eliott
: Of course! We're a teaching hospital.

The Major
: Have you done any on children lately?

Dr Eliott
: Yes, actually, we had one a few days ago

The Major
: That must be... difficult.

Dr Eliott
: Well, it helps if you have small hands.

These leads all prove inconclusive, or at least the people they talked to couldn't help. But at least Bernie is heading out of town for a few days, and asks the Professor to watch the house. That'll give him a chance to search the porch for the spare key. And failing that, the Major rocks up armed to the teeth with housebreaking tools and flashlights. And, in case they need a strong right arm, the Professor enlists one of his grad students, Quincy. ( Another passer-by roped into the game. Magdeline's very first RPG! ) Sad to say, things didn't end well for him, although the Jenkins Street Bridge Club do prove amazingly unflappable. It wasn't even that the first horrible discovery that upset them much, or even the second. It was the realisation that neither explained the child's arm, and their resulting discovery of the third horror. That left poor Quincy insane and dead, the Major majorly mangled, and the rest in frantic retreat to call in the authorities.

Mrs Carrington-Upton
: You don't shoot people for being wrong!

Prof. Lambton
: You haven't been in academia long, have you?

The police called in don't prove as mentally resilient as the Bridge Club, and the single man that re-emerges from the house flees screaming. The Bridge Club do attempt to call in further police to send in after the first lot, but it's the Army that shows up and heads in. One of them has some sort of back-pack and hose arrangement on.

Prof. Lambton
: Ah. If all else fails, try flamethrowers.

Needless to say, the house is burnt to the ground. For 'health reasons'. And their dear neighbour Bernie is never seen again....

Not as many RPG quotes as usual the last few weeks, what with the D&D 4th Ed game imploding, and Dark Heresy postponed from lack of players. We did play Chrononauts for a few hours instead though, which was fun, especially when games devolved into assassinating or rescuing historical figures, and other players undoing the damage to history, and repeated ad nauseum. Reagan was a popular target, as of course was Hitler.

Me
:
*Assassinating Hitler for the third time that game*
Hitler, in the Reichstag, with a lead pipe.

But I did get to run Call of Cthulhu for Rob and Leece at Swancon last night - the adventure 'Mr Corbitt' from Mansions of Madness. And picked up three more players as we went along.

I opened it with the conceit that the characters were a Bridge club that met weekly for a few rubbers, and were just packing up for the night when their nice neighbour across the road, the widower Bernie Corbitt, got home, and fumbled one of his parcels as he unlocked the door. That parcel being a severed child's arm. Naturally, this perturbed the characters, and they snuck across the road after dark to investigate, but heard only curious gurgling and electrical noises from the basement, where the lights were on but the blinds were drawn. They decided against breaking in - after all, that wouldn't be a very neighbourly thing to do, even if he did have a child's arm in the house. Although they were now perturbed by recollection of just how healthy and exuberant his vegetable garden grew...

The Major
: Do I have a pistol?

GM
: Not on you. You don't have a concealed carry licence either, although that's unlikely to be a problem. After all, you're not Irish or Italian. What reason would the police have to harass you? It's not like you're going to go around breaking into neighbour's houses because somebody told you they have human bodyparts on the premises.

The next day the four of them split up to hit the newspaper morgues, Sanitarium, and local hospital and cemeteries to confirm what they knew about their friend and neighbour, and try and discover the source of the arm.

Mrs DiMera
: We've got a mystery to solve.

The Major
: We need a large dog.

Mrs DiMera
: And a green van
:D

Dr Eliott
: Major! Good to see you. What can I do for you?

The Major
:
*holds up shaking hand*
I've these alcohol withdrawal symptoms

Dr Eliott
: Hold on a moment, I'll fix you up an alcohol prescription

The Major
: Do you do any dissections here?

Dr Eliott
: Of course! We're a teaching hospital.

The Major
: Have you done any on children lately?

Dr Eliott
: Yes, actually, we had one a few days ago

The Major
: That must be... difficult.

Dr Eliott
: Well, it helps if you have small hands.

These leads all prove inconclusive, or at least the people they talked to couldn't help. But at least Bernie is heading out of town for a few days, and asks the Professor to watch the house. That'll give him a chance to search the porch for the spare key. And failing that, the Major rocks up armed to the teeth with housebreaking tools and flashlights. And, in case they need a strong right arm, the Professor enlists one of his grad students, Quincy. ( Another passer-by roped into the game. Magdeline's very first RPG! ) Sad to say, things didn't end well for him, although the Jenkins Street Bridge Club do prove amazingly unflappable. It wasn't even that the first horrible discovery that upset them much, or even the second. It was the realisation that neither explained the child's arm, and their resulting discovery of the third horror. That left poor Quincy insane and dead, the Major majorly mangled, and the rest in frantic retreat to call in the authorities.

Mrs Carrington-Upton
: You don't shoot people for being wrong!

Prof. Lambton
: You haven't been in academia long, have you?

The police called in don't prove as mentally resilient as the Bridge Club, and the single man that re-emerges from the house flees screaming. The Bridge Club do attempt to call in further police to send in after the first lot, but it's the Army that shows up and heads in. One of them has some sort of back-pack and hose arrangement on.

Prof. Lambton
: Ah. If all else fails, try flamethrowers.

Needless to say, the house is burnt to the ground. For 'health reasons'. And their dear neighbour Bernie is never seen again....

Bernie's last words: "And I'd have gotten away with it too, if it weren't for those

meddling bridge players!"

Major Tom 2009 :eg:

Vampire the Masquerade.

Idiot Boy (as I disaffectionately call him) was playing a Tremere, a clan that the GM can't stand for some reason. Anyway, he goes off alone to meditate when the GM calls for awareness checks. Idiot Boy was the only one successful and thus declares "I sense a disturbance in the force." Suddenly, a man pops up from the ground, chops off his head in one swoop, and escapes through said hole.

*dead silence for about a minute, then...*

Other player: "He got killed by Bugs Bunny"

Drhoz: No, I wasn't there. It seemed like the logical thing to say, given the description

of the events in your post.

Captain Obvious: Nothing hideous involved here; I have, however, been accused in

the past of being a Jedi...with all that that implies.

Major Tom 2009 :sneaky:

Crossposted. This is from a game I played decades ago.

Or snigger evilly behind your screen' date=' roll a whole bunch of dice, pretend to write the results down, and just ask the PCs what their next actions are. Then, whatever the group does (or, more likely, doesn't do), just say "[i']Okay[/i]" and carry on as if nothing had happened.

Maybe follow up a little later with a totally random question or two, such as who is wearing the thickest (or thinnest) soled footwear or the colour blue, or what the party had for breakfast. Nod sagely at their responses, make some more (pretend) notes and die rolls then, again, carry on as if nothing had happened.

You can get PCs so paranoid that they will be running Doppelganger checks on THEMSELVES, and that kind of entertainment never gets old.

My character Stormwalker's first game featured a shapeshifting character, Mask, of dubious sanity.

Stormwalker had consented to let a member of another supergroup take and analyze a sample of (his own) DNA. Showing up for the appointment, he paid a call on that group's leader.

Paragon: Ah, Stormwalker, I see you've arrived.

Stormwalker: Yes, unless Mask knocked me out and locked me in the closet and assumed my identity.

(pause)

Stormwalker: Wait. How do I know that didn't happen?

Paragon (bemused, or perhaps just amused): Indeed.

Stormwalker: I flew here. Mask can't imitate powers, just appearance and personality, so I must be the real Stormwalker.

Paragon: Did anyone see you arrive?

Stormwalker (after a moment of consternation, flies straight up and hovers in the room): That proves it, I'm really Stormwalker!

Paragon: Unless Mask has powers we don't know about yet.

Stormwalker (landing): I'm going to Nereid's laboratory. Maybe SHE can tell me who I really am!

Lucius Alexander

How do I know I'm not really a palindromedary under a delusion of being Lucius Alexander?

McGinty and his colleagues continue their cautious investigations of superhumanly talented musician Charles Tow Aching, and are reaching some alarming conclusions. They drop off their latest acquisition to The Massachusetts State Hospital For The Insane

Rondale
: How many lunatics have we dropped off there now? We should be getting a finder's fee.

Heading back to McGinty's dubiously acquired home ( As McGinty puts it : Ah, good old Bernie Corbitt. He donated his house to the cause. *looks innocent* ) to study the poor mad writer's paranoid manifesto, which includes the poem below,

And at the last from inner Egypt came

The strange dark One to whom the fellahs bowed;

Silent and lean and cryptically proud,

And wrapped in fabrics red as sunset flame.

Throngs pressed around, frantic for his commands,

But leaving, could not tell what they had heard;

While through the nations spread the awestruck word

That wild beasts followed him and licked his hands.

Soon from the sea a noxious birth began;

Forgotten lands with weedy spires of gold;

The ground was cleft, and mad auroras rolled

Down on the quaking citadels of man.

Then, crushing what he chanced to mould in play,

The Crawling Chaos blew Earth's dust away.

(I'll admit I changed one word of that)

All this leaves McGinty and company highly alarmed, given how much of it, and Aching's song lyrics, seem to be direct references to their own experiences or Aching himself. They're now certain that Aching is really Nyarlathotep in disguise, a prospect that leaves them understandably dismayed.

OOC
: I think I hear my mother calling. I'm going home.

Considering a switch in careers to something less likely to get them horribly, horribly killed, McGinty wants to get in the movies, inspired by the fine examples of Intolerance, and other movies where the extras were considered expendable.

McGinty
: I'll hire two hundred hobos, and have them fight it out for a tank of booze. We'll call it 'King of the Hill'. And to make it really dramatic, we'll give them real weapons.

Back in New York, The Amazing Julius is finding out what happened to that hitman he sent to kill Aching. The eviscerated corpse turns up in one of his magician's cabinets. In the middle of a performance. This, naturally, ruins the show, kills the rest of the run, and attracts enthusiastic police attention. Plus puts Givetti in bad odor with the crime boss he hired the hitman through. Nonetheless, Givetti is grudgingly impressed, if Aching is responsible.

The Amazing Julius
: Well, I have to admire his showmanship.

The Amazing Julius
: I need a favour

McGinty
: If it's sexual, Rondale can do it

Neither are happy to learn that Givetti tried to have Aching assassinated.

McGinty
: You outsourced my field of expertise! You could have asked Rondale or me to do it!

Rondale
: Sorry, I only kill people for money when I'm doing government work.

They try to determine which organised crime families they haven't annoyed yet.

McGinty
: Well, we can't work with the Irish or the Italians again. Are there any Jewish gangsters?

The Amazing Julius OOC
: Sure. Murder, Incorporated is at its height.... Mental note -
don't piss off the Jews

McGinty, Rondale & Givetti break into the morgue to check the corpse of the hitman, and if possible interrogate his ghost. The police description of 'lost a fight with a steamshovel' is pretty accurate, although McGinty doesn't recognise the face.

McGinty
: Well, all Italians look alike anyway

The Amazing Julius
:*
glares
* And all Irish smell alike.

GM
: To call up his ghost he needs to be *buried* - sprinkled with dust bunnies doesn't count.

Rondale
: Actually, I was the only one to kill any Englishmen

McGinty
: I feel so robbed

Rondale
: Don't worry, we'll save the next one for you

They want to find out where Aching and his band are staying - this involves another visit to the club, where Aching smiles from the stage to see them glowering at him, and a break-in at his theatrical agent's office. Where they find the agent long dead, apparently a suicide after the collapse of his business. Slightly peculiar, given Givetti had talked to him on the phone a few days before.

Deciding to incriminate Aching in the death, they fake and hide a letter claiming Aching had been threatening the dead man, and call the police down on the scene the next day. Then they head around to watch the fun at the club, and plant the 'murder weapon' in Aching's guitar case. Aching of course notices them grinning maliciously from the back of the crowd, but seems blissfully unconcerned. And indeed, as far as the investigators can tell from the back of the club, handles the police with equal aplomb, presenting receipts and witnesses and train stubs proving he can't possibly have been in two places at once. And gives the investigators a smug little wave as the police leave.

Givetti, Rondale and McGinty head out to bribe the police into checking his luggage. Professor Santorio stays in the club. They await developments. Which is all the lights in the street going out. So do the ones in the club, although Aching amuses the punters with a few jokes about New York blackouts and some acoustic numbers played by touch.

And outside, the others curse and switch the truck's headlights on - to find Aching standing there, and smiling.

They react by piling into the truck and leaving at speed. Aching simply steps aside and lets them go, smiling in the rear view mirror. Possibly because the gun they planted in his guitar case is now on the middle seat in the truck.

The Amazing Julius
: At least he's still smiling. If he stops smiling, I'm going to be ****ing terrified.

Abandoning the Professor, the three flee back up to Arkham, determined that there's no way they're going to mess with Aching. At the very least, they want to compare notes in every Mythos tome they've acquired before they risk running into him again. In the club, unaware of the scenes outside since the music never stopped in here, Santorio hangs around until after the show, wanting to talk to Aching.

Aching
: Professor! Alone, I see? Did your friends leave you here?

Santorio
: Yes, looks like it.

Aching
: What a pity. I was so enjoying having them around.

Santorio
: I was wondering, have you ever seen anything like this?
*shows Aching one of the Gate diagrams he's been compulsively drawing on everything at hand*

Aching
:
*studies them with polite interest*
Something similar, yes. Not exactly like this... one moment.
*fetches scrapbook, pulling out one of his song notes and dropping a receipt that Santorio sweeps onto his own lap for later study*
Yes, here you go. I did see something similar. At a business group called 'Look To The Future' - I wrote one of my songs on the back of the flyer, you see.

Santorio
: Can I take this with me?

Aching
: Well, it's one of my songs.... but since you ask so nicely - take it with my blessing. And tell your friends I look forward to seeing them again.

And thus Santorio heads off to investigate alone, and sets up events that will culminate with The Death of Paddy McGinty, as I will tell in tomorrow's instalment...

And thus Santorio heads off to investigate alone, and sets up events that will culminate with The Death of Paddy McGinty, as I will tell in tomorrow's instalment...

What! The one PC I expected to live through this whole thing! I am going to be waiting for this installment.

There was a published Cthulhu adventure back in the late 80s/early 90s in which Nyarlathotep (going by the name "The Royal Pant," an anagram of his name) was a studio musician for a rock group. Can't recall the adventure's name, though. Might've been in Cthulhu Now... :think:

There was a published Cthulhu adventure back in the late 80s/early 90s in which Nyarlathotep (going by the name "The Royal Pant' date='" an anagram of his name) was a studio musician for a rock group. Can't recall the adventure's name, though. Might've been in [i']Cthulhu Now[/i]... :think:

*nods* Aching even mentions that he and The Royal Pant have a lot in common in the previous episode :D

Charles Tow Aching is an anagram as well. Of "The Crawling Chaos"

Look To The Future, from Shadows of Yog-Sothoth. Some spoilers for it, and Mr Corbitt from Mansions of Madness.

Slightly lunatic Professor Samuel Santorio, in possession of clues given to him by Nyarlathotep himself, heads off to a slightly rough part of New York to investigate a businessman's group calling itself 'Look To The Future'. Apparently they have free coffee and doughnuts. But to Santorio's puzzlement, the weekly meeting seems entirely mundane - indeed, tedious - and there's no sign of the hyperdimensional folding of space and time he was hoping for.

The design of the building is slightly peculiar, and as there don't seem to be any architects among the members he is directed to the group's organizer, one Bryan Slim, who promises to send Santorio details. If he can just get a name and address? Santorio gives the first that spring to his somewhat addled mind, and heads up to Arkham. There, McGinty is reminiscing about old love affairs, and bringing Rondale and Givetti up to speed about his ever-growing collection of eldritch literature, and the story about how he acquired the Corbitt house, and the thing that used to live there.

McGinty
: Yeah, I think she wanted to ride the baloney pony, that's why she never betrayed me

McGinty
: ... so that was little Eggy Corbitt.

Rondale
: And that thing is still alive?!?

McGinty
: Apparently.

Rondale
: Well... ****.

The Amazing Julius is there because the appearance of a mangled corpse mid-stage, mid-performance, kind of put the kibosh on the rest of the run going ahead. So he's taking a few days off to come up with a new show.

He's also received a letter from his bank manager, and opens it with dread. Happily, it's nothing to do with the state of his account, the man wants Givetti to do a Houdini-style investigation on a group he attends - a group called 'Look To The Future'. Apparently their monthly meeting and meditations on curious geometrical designs, and attendant chanting, are designed to psychologically stimulate. But the banker comes home exhausted. On the other hand, they have made some remarkable artefacts available to their members. Could Givetti check them out, and see if they're legitimate?

Naturally, Santorio's chat with Aching is brought up, although the others are very unhappy and distrust his conversation. The four pour over the letter, the geometrical design, the chant, the flyer, Aching's song lyrics, and the receipt. It's all very alarming - the design closely resembles Santorio's mad scribbling; the chant names Yog-Sothoth ( familiar to them from the Corbitt investigation, as 'One Who Splits Apart Worlds and Devours the Survivors' ); the group are beset by crullers, whatever they are; the song lyrics include explicit references to the investigator's phobia of the dark, and lines like 'you think you know me but you haven't got a clue'; and the receipt is for two African rattles purchased from some place called the Ju-Ju Shop in Harlem.

Rondale
: Ju-Ju Shop? Rattles? Sounds cultist...

GM
: But he paid cash for them and got a receipt...

Rondale
: Yeah..... *
baffled

Rondale OOC
: I'm sorry, but this is the first time I've run into a god that doesn't want to kill me, and instead just keeps taking the piss... Nyarlathotep is a troll, isn't he?

Despite their certainty that this is a trap, they go investigate anyway, just in time for one of the special monthly ceremonies. Santorio's new friends seem pleased to see him.

Random NPC
: Mr. McGinty! Good to see you!

McGinty
: What? How do you -

Santorio
: Hello again, good to see you.

McGinty, Rondale
:
*staring murderously at Santorio*
Just a minute there, we just have to take our friend here outside for a little chat

It turns out the false name and address Santorio gave were McGinty's. There was a fair amount of other stuff Santorio neglected to tell them.

McGinty
: You tell me what I need to know right now and I won't commit grievous bodily harm on you. You might have noticed I'm not very happy right now.

The Amazing Julius
: I'm just going to sit here and watch McGinty melt down. It's hours of entertainment.

Rondale
to Santorio
: Do you have any idea what you've done? We ought to have you locked up!

McGinty
: Give the guy a break. We don't need to send him to the asylum

Rondale
: He does this
all the time

McGinty
: So? I drink all the time.

Rondale OOC
: Yes, but the Betty Ford Clinic hasn't been opened yet.

McGinty
: I reckon you could knock somebody out with this magic frypan. I'm thinking of using it on Santorio.

They disrupt the ceremony by ripping the muffler off the truck, parking it outside the Look To The Future building, and revving the motor at random moments as they try to 'fix the engine'. This seems to work, or at least nothing eldritch materialises over the city, but Mr. Slim does come out to have a few harsh words. The party leave, and return after dark for a proper investigation. The kind that involves tommyguns and grenades. This is when they discover that whilst machine-guns are wonderful things, it really sucks when the bad guys have them too. Professor Santorio, reliving his experiences in the Boston tunnels, goes slightly combat crazy, but with two ex-soldiers on their side and the frank incompetence of the heavily armed cultists, the investigators manage to clear the building of resistance with only poor Givetti blown apart by a full clip of machine-gun fire.

The guards do get a warning call out to their boss before they are brutally slain.

Boss
:
*On phone*
What's going on over there? What's all that gunfire?

McGinty
:
*growled into mouthpiece*
You're next.

The other discoveries in the building are strange, to say the least. But it does promise to be yet another base of operations for the party. It even has its own power supply, but they haven't opened it up yet to figure out how it works. They collect Givetti's remains and head out, intending to return later to take the place apart. And discover something horrible coming down the only exit towards them. Poor Santorio, a.k.a. 'Paddy McGinty' takes one look at the thing, gives a small strangled whimper, and blows his own brains out. Rondale and the real McGinty flee, and manage to get out of the building without the entity catching up with them.

At least the deaths will be easy to explain - Givetti's gangster-themed magic show was just asking for trouble, and even if Santorio's body is identifiable, the real McGinty and the real Santorio ( the one native to this decade anyway ) are both alive and well...

At least the deaths will be easy to explain - Givetti's gangster-themed magic show was just asking for trouble, and even if Santorio's body is identifiable, the real McGinty and the real Santorio ( the one native to this decade anyway ) are both alive and well...

All this time with only 1 investigator completely dying and now two die in one night. Course, if you have all the bits of Givetti, McGinty does know resurrect...

All this time with only 1 investigator completely dying and now two die in one night. Course' date=' if you have all the bits of Givetti, McGinty does know resurrect...[/quote']

Actually, Givetti's player has refused to have his character resurrected - he loathes the revolving door element of most games, and appreciates that deaths mean something in Cthulhu

Actually' date=' Givetti's player has refused to have his character resurrected - he loathes the revolving door element of most games, and appreciates that deaths [i']mean [/i]something in Cthulhu

They do? I thought life and death were equally meaningless in a chaotic and overwhelming universe that is coldly indifferent to human values....

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary thinks maybe that was just the guy running the game

They do? I thought life and death were equally meaningless in a chaotic and overwhelming universe that is coldly indifferent to human values....

good point. At least Givetti can pretend his death means something :D

GURPS campaign, set in the modern day.

---

Our PCs are various detectives investigating a brothel (Nevada, of course), due to the two deaths of employees that worked there.

So, one of the PCs, Owen, who is Attractive and has the majority of the party's social Skills, is the one who goes undercover to find out what the heck is going on in this business.

A while later, he is called to the office of the head Madame that runs the place. She happens to have two bodyguards, so he made sure to carry a backup weapon before going into her office. Unfortunately, the only way he could smuggle in a weapon is via a concealed carry holster integrated into a codpiece, as employees can't carry much.

Well, he must have failed his Holdout roll, because she raises an eyebrow at the sight of his fashion choice, subtly motions her bodyguards to close in on him, and proceeds to ask him a question.

GM: "Is that a gun, or are you just happy to see me?"

Player: *cocky grin* "Both!"

At this point, combat erupts. The player then turns to the side and asks, "What's the penalty for Fast-Drawing from my crotch?"

A notorious session of 'Cthulhu By Gaslight' ('Call Of Cthulhu' in the Victorian Era). Note in advance that this session happened shortly after the movie 'Young Sherlock Holmes' came out. Everybody had seen it - the GM got A LOT of ideas, and the PCs naturally had acquired a few .... preconceptions..

Any way, the PCs are in London in the 1880s, following rumours of evil cultists and so forth. Oddly enough, their investigations lead them to a large warehouse. Checking it out further, they discover some things of interest.

First, there are a number of sigils and Egyptian hieroglyphs in a number of concealed locations within the warehouse.

Second, there are a system of tunnels and chambers beneath the warehouse, with lots more Egyptian-style decor.

Third is the fifty-foot-high pyramid (mostly timber) in the centre of all this, covered with further sigils and hieroglyphs.

Yep, just like in 'Young Sherlock Holmes'.

No sign of cultists as yet. The PCs rove about the area defacing everything they can find. As a final touch, they place explosives deep inside the complex. There is a prolonged and unnecessarily heated argument about how much burn-time they should have on the fuses, but the PCs FINALLY opt for thirty-plus minutes. Theoretically, long enough to get some distance, and then sit back and enjoy the fireworks. They light the fuses, and leave.

Unfortunately, the party is confronted by the "cultists" in the street just outside the entrance. Perhaps even more unfortunately, the cultists are actually a White Magic group (ie. GOOD GUYS!), who are justifiably upset about all the vandalism the PCs have just done to their secret place of worship.

Discussions are not helped when the PCs state something along the lines of "Ooops, sorry, we thought this was a Temple Of Set...". Given that these cultists are so anti-Set that just speaking his name is both an insult and major desecration, this does not go down at all well.

However, by Herculean use of their Diplomatic skills, the PCs actually start to calm the cultists down just a little.

Right about then, the explosive charges start going off.

Yeah, a bit early, but the party's demolitions skills and rolls thereof were mediocre at best anyhow. Ref just about has hysterics as he gleefully describes this part. As the two groups watch, the entire warehouse catches alight, kind of folds in on itself and noisily collapses into its basement. And then the gas main underneath all this adds its own little bit, so there is this dramatic WHOOSH and a column of flame that erupts out of the wreckage.

A very brief silence follows, with the Ref gasping for breath after laughing so hard.

At which point, the PCs spontaneously and unanimously decide to RUN LIKE HELL! The remainder of their session is spent fleeing the lynch mob of formerly peaceful cultists (and the police), through winding backstreets. Illuminated all the while by the consequences of their most recent adventure - the flames can be seen all over London, pretty much. Afterwards. the party spent a session otr two basically hiding from just about everybody, before literally jumping at a "mission" that took them out of the country for a while.

The Ref was VERY proud of that game.