Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Me
: You know, there's one major flaw with the design of the
. If it's reproduction is so dependant on enticing attackers thanks to its resemblance to a
, then it should have evolved to *lack* the big eye. That way, no matter what direction the adventurers come from, they'll think it's facing the other way. 'Quick, get it while it isn't looking!' Boom.

Dark Heresy. No Rosenkrantz, player wasn't enjoying the game :( Situation - The Bishop has, to the alarm of almost everybody, given his marks of office to Guildenstern to look after. This implies that he's naming Brother Guildenstern as his successor, and THAT implies the Bishop is about to do something very very dangerous. To whit, be aboard the Tau ship inspecting the Ork-infested craters when Operation Prize Ham is sprung. A pskyer neatly sabotages the Tau vessel with the Ethereal aboard by teleporting critical avionics modules out of the ship and into his hand. This sends the ship out control, and the Bishop, who it is now clear is stealing Polonius's thunder by setting himself up as a martyr, gets the Tau leader into an escape pod and brings it down right in the middle of the crater, as human and Tau vessels scramble to rescue him before the Orks converge to shoot everything that moves, because, you know, they're Orks.

Polonius
: Happily we have one benefit when it comes to making lewd jokes about the Sisters of Battle - or rather, NOT making lewd jokes about the Sisters of Battle - in that as clerical types we have made a vow of chastity.

Guildenstern
: What???!?!

Polonius
: Admittedly it was mostly to protect future generations from the consequences of Guildenstern ever breeding, but there you go.

Guildenstern
: I don't remember agreeing to this!

Polonius
: Sure you do, it written right there on your hand, in the little letters down the bottom.

Guildenstern
: You bastards, you added that while I was sleeping!

Polonius
: True.

Polonius goes on a slightly Yellow Submarine-based tangent

GM
: You land on a squig - I mean, on mushrooms.

Polonius OOC
: Guildenstern lands on a squig? Quick, play some Beatles, we'll lure it back.

Polonius OOC
: And Guildenstern vanishes towards the horizon riding a Kinky Boot Squig.

GM
: The airlock opens on a field of green...

Polonius OOC
: Not a sea of green?

GM
: You reach the escape pod - a tall, blue-skinned alien is climbing out of the hatch

Polonius OOC
: It's a Blue Meanie! Get it!

Tau & Bishop are dragged to safety

Polonius
: I'm staying near the airlock and weighing up whether I should martyr the Bishop now or later.

Polonius
: You appear to have a squig attacking your head, Brother Guildenstern - would you like me to remove it?

Guildenstern
: I try to kick as it flies overhead

Polonius
: Just because you're wearing a cassock doesn't mean we want to watch you doing high-kicks

Guildenstern
:
*dances the Can-Can*

GM
: You stun the squig and keep the power stud pressed down.

Alex
: The dance of the electric cockroach

Random psychic phenomena - a haunting breeze

Polonius
: You have your own Dramatic Wind.

Guildenstern
: I have dramatic wind too!
*clenches cheeks*

Polonius
: Yes. We know.

The bishop orders us to go film the Ork pumping station that's draining the moon's aquifer to cultivate the invasive fungal ecosystem, as if he needed further proof that the Orks are bad news. This includes the three of us taking on a Ork Mekaniak in Mega-Armour wielding a wrist-mounted Snazzgun and Power Axe. In hand-to-hand combat. We survive, but only because Polonius stabbed his sword into the small thermonuclear backpack the Ork was using to power the exoskeleton.

GM
: You realise you're all going to get a massive radiation dose out of this, don't you?

Polonius
: So? We're clerics, we're supposed to be bald.

The aircraft we're escaping in is so damaged and flying so close to the ground that somebody gets sucked into an engine.

Guildenstern
: I hope it's the blue guy.

GM
: That would be an unfortunate development. Yes, you rescued the Tau Ethereal, but as you were escaping in another ship it got shot down, and the Tau got sucked into an engine.

Still singed and dazed from electrocuting himself stabbing the powerplant

Polonius
: Is this the smoking or the non-smoking section?

The battle, now full-sized, rages across the lunar plane. We notice that some sort of trebuchet has been hurriedly built over the pumping station... and something backpack shaped and sparking alarmingly is being loaded into it. Yes, the Mekaniak has made a dirty bomb out his powerplant, and detonates it over the battlefield. That, at least, outrages the Tau and humans enough to ensure that the Orks are doomed. At least as soon as they stop glowing in the dark.

The Tau Ethereal has a problem - he wasn't wearing airtight armour when the bomb went off.

Guildenstern
: Gee, that blue tint of yours has turned really green.

Back to Archangelesk for debriefing, medical attention, and purging. The Bishop takes the opportunity to express his generations-long feud with Polonius's noble family back on Kringle.

GM
: The Bishop is going to personally conduct [Polonius's] victory flagellation

Guildenstern
: I love the Bishop - he's awesome

Polonius
: If the Emperor - OW - didn't approve - OW - of our bloodline we wouldn't - OW - have outranked - OW - yours!

Guildenstern
to Bishop
: Your arm must be tired. Want me to take over for a bit? You go get some lunch.

Guildenstern
: So, feeling pure yet?

Polonius
:
*deathglare*

Guildenstern
: Nope, must be possessed by Khorne, I'll keep on whipping.

Guildenstern
: So, did you enjoy the flogging the Bishop and I gave you?

Polonius
:
*before being carted off for stitches and vinegar compresses*
I hope to return the favour, soon.

Red Baroness: So before we go to Greenland, I will have my computer design him a tail fuzzy.

Gauntlet: All that fantastic intellect, and the best thing you can come up with is "Tail fuzzy?"

Baroness: But it'll be cute!!!!

-----------------------------------

Mesa: So we could do some experiments in the Danger Room?

Baroness: Experiment?

Gauntlet: We are not having a "Tail fuzzy" test! That's right out!

---------------------------

Doctor Scorpius: Well, it seems I have some visitors. We don't get many of those down here. May I ask why you've come to visit me?

Red Baroness: We've come because you've violated the doctor's oath by taking someone's DNA without permission.

Doctor Scorpius: Ahh, the hypocritical oath. Forgive my sarcasm. Clearly you have no interest in advancing the species as a whole, and I am only interested in my own experiments.

Khymeric: Actually, I'm just kind of selfish. I want my stuff back.

Doctor Scorpius: That might be a little complicated. (Turns her back to the heroes on the screen.) "Ladies and Gentlemen, opening bids for Khymeric's DNA begin in two minutes.":

---------------------------

Doctor Scorpius: Well, it seems I have some visitors. We don't get many of those down here. May I ask why you've come to visit me?

Red Baroness: We've come because you've violated the doctor's oath by taking someone's DNA without permission.

Doctor Scorpius: Ahh, the hypocritical oath. Forgive my sarcasm. Clearly you have no interest in advancing the species as a whole, and I am only interested in my own experiments.

Khymeric: Actually, I'm just kind of selfish. I want my stuff back.

Doctor Scorpius: That might be a little complicated. (Turns her back to the heroes on the screen.) "Ladies and Gentlemen, opening bids for Khymeric's DNA begin in two minutes.":

Great villain put-down.

That doesn't look like a giant' date=' meat-eating, invisible bunny to me![/quote']

Harvey is standing just to the left. The thing in the bottle is Bob, one of the things that was burrowing through their midnight contact, and swarming by their thousands under Boston.

Catching up on my duty as quote-taker for teh Bunneh's Fantasy HERO campaign - Chronicles of Foxton.

-----

Relevant Cast

Lady Isobelle Hawthorne: Noblewoman and duelist from neighboring Shelinsibeau appointed Captain of the Baron's Guard. Takes her responsibilities very seriously.

Lieutenant Niahm O'Derry: Professional warrior, medic, and officer serving in the Epotic Corps of the Demorian Draconians - the elite police force of the kingdom.

Damien Wrathchild: Blademaster and expert procurer of information serving the Baron of Foxton. Outwardly charming but hides a cunning, ruthless streak.

Quion Rake: Taciturn and emotionless (by choice) alchemist serving as records clerk to the Baron. Tortured by guilt over a perceived crime from the past.

Wythri Majaera: Young Elf exiled from her homeland of Pasion and working as an apprentice sage in Foxton. Slightly mad due to the influence of her Wild Magik.

Wallace Gunn: Humble and simple druid and woodsman hired on as the Baron's Forester. Slow-witted and uneducated but dedicated to his duty.

Officer Uri Barechest: A powerful warrior originally from Valorsheim - a tough fighter with a soft side for his family, a love of a good brawl, and no line between his brain and his mouth.

Officer Candor Silverstone: An Elven wizard from Pasion - curious, analytical and infinitely proper and polite.

Trainee James Jameson: A young priest of Durom, from a long line of cops - still in training, but with the potential to be a great officer...if he can overcome his nervousness and fear of blood.

Errol Wanderfar: A Goodfellow Hobbit, battle wizard, and team leader. Very dedicated to making the team work.

Benedikt: Human Seeker (priest of the Cold Gods). Pragmatic, aggressive 'worshipper' for Cromm - god of war and strength.

Randall Stowes: Human Warrior from Demoria. Academy trained swordsman and budding knight. Strong-armed but slow thinking.

Keinan Murdoch: Human Warden (holy warrior of Adrom - Druidic god of the hunt) from Nekia. Expert archer and tracker.

-----

Regarding the difference in volume between reports from Lt. O'Derry and those from Master Rake...

Hawthorne: Niahm understands the concept of brevity.

Quion: I understand it. I just don't agree with it.

Regarding Damien Wrathchild's rather permanent way of dealing with even the most minor of annoyances...

Wythri: Damien is one of those men with whom you have to be extremely precise with his instructions.

As a follow-up to the above...

Hawthorne: Mass murder is not part of the plan.

During the trials for Court Wizard, the Baron du Clef relates his feelings on the various candidates, one of whom is female...

Baron du Clef (NPC): And I don't have a good read on the chick yet.

Quion: Perhaps because you just referred to her as "the chick."

From a secret conversation Damien has with his evil necromancer brother...

Damien: You know that raising people from the grave tends to make people a little edgy.

The adventuring band called the Deadly Seven arrives at Grey Haven manor to find a swarm of giant wasps loitering in the courtyard. They are pets of the half-mad Druidess Nikki who is a guest to Baron at the time and thus under his protection. The sword-happy adventurers have a little trouble with that...

Kienan: Ma'am, are you aware...?

Hawthorne: Yes. :straight:

Randall: And shouldn't we...?

Hawthorne: No. :straight:

The Druidess Nikki has developed an infatuation with Quion, who most certainly does not share her affection...

Hawthorne: Perhaps we can continue this talk in private.

Nikki (NPC): He can come too. :winkgrin:

Quion: I cannot. I have a tower to throw myself from. :straight:

Amused by Nikki's interest, Hawthorne makes arrangements for Nikki to work with Quion. Shortly, she realizes her error and tries to distract Nikki but...

Damien: Y'know, it's a little late to pull him out from under the bus.

Quion retreats to the safety of his office where his young apprentice hits him with a barrage of questions...

Cici (NPC): Master Rake, are you dating that woman?

Quion: Only in the carbon sense.

Cici (NPC):

Quion: No.

Cici (NPC): I think she's dating you.

Quion: In the sense that my days are numbered, yes.

Random quote number one...

Quion: There has been...no rape. :straight:

In regards to Lady Hawthorne's meeting with Captain Waggoner, the hidebound captain of the local Draconians...

Niahm: I don't recall if it was lunch or a lecture.

After Hawthorne reports to Draconian headquarters that Lt. O'Derry would be missing duty, Lt. Tower - the second in command of the Draconians - has a number of uncomplimentary things to say about Niahm...

Hawthorne: Lt. Tower hit the top of my **** list pretty much immediately.

Wythri: Admittedly, that's not that hard to do.

Quion has a tendency to be extremely precise in his theories and conclusions...

Wythri: You're going to guess, Master Rake?

Quion: I'm going to extrapolate.

Hawthorne: That's basically guessing while showing your work.

Random quote number two...

Gunn: You could set your watch by this monster's decay!

The Baron du Clef, who has an annoying habit of wandering out of the protection of the Grey Haven manor and his bodyguard Lady Hawthorne's watchful eyes, makes a query about Quion's safety during a recent endeavor....

Hawthorne: I will make certain nothing happens to Quion. He leaves notes.

During one of the many irreverent discussions between members of the Deadly Seven adventuring band...

Errol: Okay, next time we get paid, we leave town immediately. We spent all our funds here in town. That's not spreading the wealth.

Benedikt: Oh, I was spreading wealth.

Randall: I didn't know her name was Wealth. :winkgrin:

Discussing Lt. Tower's obvious distaste for the irregular and oft-times unprofessional Draconian night shift...

Uri: I don't think he likes us.

Candor: I don't think I like us.

Jameson: Hey...!

Uri: Well, I like us and that's all that matters!

Jameson: I...no, I'm with you now, Candor.

Niahm has been 'romancing' the Uruk adventurer Benedikt while under the influence of a werewolf curse. Realizing the relationship was meaningless, she tries to break it off...

Niamh: I was just using you.

Benedikt: I don't see how this is problem. :thumbup:

-----

Lonewalker

One of the pleasures of running Call of Cthulhu for a group that have never actually read much of the fiction behind it, is that I can give them news clippings like the following without alarm bells starting to ring.

Big Cats Escape Central Park Zoo

Two black panthers are reported to have escaped from their cage at the Central Park Zoo sometime last night, according to police and zoo authorities. Parties of armed officers and zoo staff are searching the Park for the animals, which are believed to be hiding in the grounds. The public are urged to avoid the Park until the animals can be shot or recaptured, as they are considered highly dangerous.

The animals, well known to zoo patrons by their nicknames Shadow and Silhouette, were last seen when locked into their quarters for the night. It is not known how they escaped, and police are investigating the possibility they were deliberately released.

Older readers may recall the New York Herald’s notorious Central Park Zoo Hoax of 1874, in which it was claimed that dangerous animals were loose in the city, with casualties of 49 dead and 200 injured, but in this case the police and other authorities are in deadly earnest regarding the animals, and the danger they pose to members of the public.

And of course, the following homebrewed adventure, Instruments Yet Stranger, written as a prelude to an upcoming campaign, contains a slew of other little clues to warm an evil swine's black heart. See how many you can spot.

But first a few quotes about previous sessions and future characters.

GM
: Exorcism is not a performance art. Well,
technically
it's not a performance art.

GM
: 'It's got a vicious streak a mile wide! Look at the bones!'

Rondale's player
: The bunny wasn't a killer

GM
: ... And we all turn to look at McGinty

GM
: I don't think a demon-hunting kabuki-man named Malkovich is entirely convincing

Rondale's player
examining the character sheet
: It's a balanced character

GM
: Balanced like Fox News?

GM
: If you can come up with some justification for a demon-hunting kabuki-man named Malkovich
who speaks Swahili
, I would like to hear it.

This being the Musical Episode, I was pleased to see they didn't need much prompting to launch into 'Send in the clowns', 'My Ding-a-ling' and 'Dueling Banjos' at a moments notice, usually when discussing their own performance as investigators. The story opens with them traveling down to New York to report to the Office of Naval Intelligence and tell The Amazing Julius everything they got up to in the tunnels beneath the Martensen House.

McGinty
: We found one of them there Gate things. When you poke them they take you somewhere else. We found England!

The Amazing Julius
: I'm pretty sure England has been discovered before

McGinty
: I found a pub.

Rondale
: I didn't send him there, he found it himself. He's like a natural alcohol-detection machine

GM
: Rather than go through all these car customizations, can we just assume there's a
Greased Lightning
montage and get on with the plot?

We're not the only group at the Guild in a musical mood - one of the other tables is playing 'Battle-Hymn of the Republic' for some reason. Sound quality leaves much to be desired.

Rondale's player
: I'm sure it sounds fine over there. But from over here it sounds like they're playing it by stamping on a cat.

The Amazing Julius
: I'm not given the keys of my Landa to McGinty, I'm giving them to Rondale!

GM
: Rondale is responsible, McGinty is Irish

Agent Landing at ONI's office in New York is extremely unhappy with McGinty's performance in the UK.

Agent Landing
: Tell me, when you joined the Army, a village somewhere lost its idiot, didn't it? I've met some f***ing cretins in my time, but you, YOU, take the f***ing cake. Did it occur to either of you what a military asset instantaneous transport between the US and Europe could have been? And now they're sealed the tunnels at this end and I can't send
you
back to the UK to investigate that end, can I? Because you gave your real names and addresses and are wanted for murder.
*head desk, and sobs*
I can't even send anybody else because I don't have the manpower. I've just wasted three weeks because some moron in New England started a rumor the Germans were going to blow up dams and flood America.

McGinty
: Oh yeah, that was me.

Agent Landing
:
*pops a blood vessel*

Rondale
: Now now, if he started a rumour the Germans were going to blow up dams and flood America, it was for a good reason. Or because it was funny.

Leaving Landing to his apoplexy, Santorio heads to the New York Library to scribble Mythos notes into the margins, and McGinty and Rondale head to Central Park to hunt panthers.

Rondale
: They're probably hiding in the trees.

GM
: I somehow doubt they're sitting in the middle of the baseball diamond.

Rondale
: Oh, I dunno, they're probably there right now, people eating them.

GM
: Eating
them
?? Central Park is overrun by panther-eating cannibals, is it?

Mention is made of Rondale's brief sexual attraction to Thompson machine guns

GM and Julius
: *
sings
* Happiness is a warm gun....

Givetti and Santorio are heading out for the evening - there's a musician Givetti's heard of, that's been compared to his own stage show in some of the reviews. Both performances are disturbing and strange. Some of the reviews are disturbing and strange too.

I recently had to endure the work of so-called musician Charles Aching, who for some reason has seen fit to inflict his discords and distasteful lyricism on audiences up and down the East Coast. I can only imagine that the proliferation of 'jazz' in the speakeasys and other low dives has given him reason to believe audiences will swallow anything. Certainly his compositions are as poisonous as anything the bootleggers can provide.

I certainly can't believe he was ever classically trained, since no sane individual would do as much damage to traditional ideas of rhythm, melody & rhyme as he seemingly delights in doing.

In fact, I might even go so far as to say that it is pure incompetence, a complete lack of skill, that enables him to produce cacophony out of graceful old favorites, where he isn't being completely fraudulent and presenting twisted versions of other composers work as his own.

AVOID.

- DNM

GM
: Critics are supposed to be scathing. But that review goes beyond 'scathing' to 'frothing at the mouth'

They've clearly expected a large crowd - the dance hall has been filled with extra tables and chairs, and what whispered conversations Givetti can hear all seem to anticipate the upcoming show. The room, and the stage, are dark at first, with barely enough light to find his seat. Figures, ill-defined in the shadows, move on the stage, and as they find their place behind their instruments the rest of the room goes quiet, tense with anticipation.

Concealed lights fade into life, revealing the musicians - all immaculately dressed. Some attend unremarkable instruments - a large Negro bent intently over an extensive drum kit, other men on violin and cello. More surprising are the Arabs, complete with red fezzes, and their oriental instruments including finger cymbals, spike fiddles, goblet drums and more. They play - a low note on strings at first, slow, eerie, unfolding into a traditional Eastern-sounding tune, awaiting lyrics. The singer appears, midstage - a young man, in long sleeved white shirt and scarlet waistcoat. He has swarthy skin, and long dark hair bound back into a ponytail. He has a high, intelligent forehead, intensely dark eyes, and his strikingly handsome features are marred only by some quirk of his smile, that seems to suggest he is enjoying a joke at your expense.

He launches into the words, amazingly powerful voice crooning a love song that suddenly changes to something dark and very strange half-way in.

He introduces himself between 'Inanna' and the next song - he's Charles Tow Aching himself, the composer and songwriter responsible for the evening's entertainment, such the last song, inspired, he claims, by liturgical chants from Mesopotamia. Circling the stage, he introduces his players, adding such unlikely biographical details as the 'fact' one of the zither-player's ancestors was once court magician to the pharaohs, or that the drummer's grandfather was a voodoo priest.

Nor are singing and composition his only skills. He moves to the edge of the stage, and draws out a musical instrument the likes of which the investigators have never seen before - it looks like a guitar, but solid, without a sounding box, studded with extra tuning knobs and switches, and valves of all things. Wires run from the base to what they now realize are large speakers at each corner of the stage.

Aching & his band launch into another number - 'The Bazaar' - and he accompanies himself on this 'electrified guitar', long fingers dancing on the strings in a frenzy of crashing howls that somehow still suit the song perfectly. It's like nothing - nothing - they've ever heard before.

By the time he's done, the audience ( or at least those who haven't been to his shows before and found themselves hungering for more of this outré music ), are sitting open-mouthed. Some are swearing softly in disbelief, or turning eagerly to the various cocktails the club's proprietor is now selling in abundance. No wonder he put extra chairs on the dance floor, if he's going to sell alcohol so well.

The maestro leads his troupe through other songs, including 'The River', 'The Messenger', 'Samsara' and 'Halcyon Days', adjusting his instrument between each song as he talks to the audience. All of them are chaos and madness set to music - weirdly irregular beats, words like 'chthonic', sounds that only the most charitable could describe as musical, but combine and seem somehow perfect and unspeakably beautiful, and impossible to describe, afterwards. Every few numbers some of the musicians sit out, drinking hurriedly when they aren't required for the song.

The evening closes with one last song, introduced as follows "I composed this last in memory of a man some of you might know, a local boy who was no stranger to the gossip pages. A vain man (and here he smiles at some private joke) but one who followed his dream and found only a terrible end". Only Aching & the drummer play in this one, the other musicians eagerly retreating to the waiting barrel backstage.

And the sounds from the 'electrified guitar' in this song are extraordinary - a modulated howling eerily reminiscent of the lyrics themselves, and switched from speaker to speaker until it's almost as though he's playing in three places at once

Naturally, Givetti immediately plans to see the man dead. Not only because the group have had experience of strange instruments before - to whit a curious trumpet that raises the dead - but because Aching is clearly too popular.

GM
: So you want him killed because he's stealing your press?

Givetti sets out to meet up with certain Family men, to arrange the hit, and sends Santorio out to fetch McGinty and Rondale from the illegal bare-knuckle boxing match they went out to see.

GM
: And when are you going to tell your hosts that you just invited an
Irishman
to an
Italian
'gentleman's club'?

The Amazing Julius
:
:nonp:
I was more concerned with telling them that one of my guests is a G-man, McGinty being Irish completely slipped my mind.

McGinty
: Look at the rack on that! And I'm not even talking about the platter of spare ribs

The four go out to see another performance by Aching, and hopefully to see him assassinated. The small crowd that gathers to talk to Aching afterward have many questions. Such as why his music has such ambiguous meaning, or subtly mocks everything honorable and innocent.

Charles Tow Aching
: Of
course
my art possesses a certain quality of black humour. The universe is so large, so infinitely hostile, that most minds can't even comprehend of the numbers involved. The best you can hope for is a relatively pain-free death, after bringing children into into the same world of pain and misery and personal prejudice turned into morals and laws. And yet most people go through life under the unshakeable conviction that all this
*waves hand at the Universe*
was arranged for their benefit. Now, you're perfectly free to regard this as tragic, or somehow admirable, but as for myself I find it endlessly hilarious.

Charles Tow Aching
: A pleasure to see you here, Mr McGinty

McGinty
: What? How'd you know who I was?

Charles Tow Aching
: If you're trying to go incognito, Mr McGinty, you should probably avoid appearing in front-page news photos, doing muscle poses.
:rolleyes:

McGinty
: Where are you from?

Charles Tow Aching
: I don't know, I was little too young at the time to make a note of the address.
:rolleyes:

McGinty
: Errrr...

Charles Tow Aching
: I was
raised
in a little place outside Cairo.

McGinty
: Oh, Cairo? Heard about that, terrible dusty place

Charles Tow Aching
: There's also a Cairo in Illinois.

McGinty
: Oh. You don't sound American.

Charles Tow Aching
: I traveled a lot when I was younger.

McGinty
: Oh? What kind of places?

Charles Tow Aching
: All over - The Far East, Africa, Australia...

McGinty
: What's Australia like?

Charles Tow Aching
: Very sandy, at least the parts I saw.

McGinty
: Yeah, what's with the English, always going around invading dusty places....

Charles Tow Aching
: Of course, this isn't the only instrument I know - I used to play trumpet, but I gave it away. Not just a black man with a horn, me.

McGinty
: Oh? I've got a trumpet.

Charles Tow Aching
: Is that so? Perhaps we should play together, at some point.

Rondale is fascinated and disturbed by the electric guitar's design, which Aching claims is his own invention. The electric banjo was patented in 1910, but this instrument is something else entirely.

Aching has seen The Amazing Julius's posters around town - the one with the avatar of Nyarlathotep looming in the background.

Charles Tow Aching
: About your poster, Mr. Givetti - what is that thing in the background supposed to be?

The Amazing Julius
: Nepalese Attack Boar

Charles Tow Aching
: Do you run into many Nepalese Attack Boars?

The Amazing Julius
: Thankfully, no.

Charles Tow Aching
: I suppose our shows do have certain shared aspects, Mr Givetti, but they're hardly the only ones. I'm told there's a jazz man out of New Orleans, goes by the handle of 'The Royal Pant'. Apparently he and I have much in common.

Aching also encourages Givetti to return, so they can discusses the subtleties of showmanship, and leaves him a card.

Shake It Up With

Charles Tow Aching

Bandmaster

Make Any Occasion Unforgettable

Bookings care of N. Morgan, 180 – 2456 NYC

Rondale, McGinty, and Santorio have gone home with one of the audience members - a clearly disturbed young man, paranoid and obsessive, who's been coming to every show he can, copying down the lyrics and drawing insane correlations between the songs that are stuck in his head, and tour dates, and astrology, and everything else. The amount of paperwork pinned to his apartment walls is impressive to say the least, even if most of his conclusions are paranoid fancy. One thing does stand out - Aching's tour dates do seem to correspond with a startling range of man-made and natural disasters. One such was a freak accident where a locomotive's boiler burst as it was passing a stopped passenger train, broiling the passengers alive.

Rondale OOC
: Now that was a memorable episode of Thomas the Tank Engine. 'The Fat Controller won't like this'.

Rondale isn't convinced - it might just be coincidence

Rondale
: He goes anywhere, bad shit happens. So? The same thing happens with us.

They head back to the club to pick up Givetti, who's increasingly worried - the hitman followed Aching out into the alley, but Aching came back unscathed and unconcerned, and the hitman vanished into thin air. Even more disturbing is the behavior of McGinty's wolfhound upon catching sight of the bandmaster. Here's a dog best known for devouring Deep One hybrids and preacher's testicles, grovelling before a total stranger - crawling forward, fawning and whining for some sort of acknowledgment. Rondale drags the dog back to the truck before Aching can do anything more than smile in quiet amusement, and the party splits up to rest and investigate Aching's background. Apparently he has a long association with disaster. He was the only survivor of an orphanage fire, for one thing....

TO BE CONTINUED

Eh. Drhoz posts pretty regularly about it.

And probably deliberately made sure some appropriate posts landed on that particular page number.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary smells a conspiracy. Or is that just the odor of hyena?

And probably deliberately made sure some appropriate posts landed on that particular page number.

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary smells a conspiracy. Or is that just the odor of hyena?

Ever consider that there being a conspiracy is just what the conspiracy theorists want you to think? :D

Anyone else amused that this is page 666?

Yes :)

Eh. Drhoz posts pretty regularly about it.

Pure co-incidence. Although I am hoping to work in a line about a man of wealth and taste into the module.

The players are having some ninja problems.

Johnny Cornfed: Well, we know this is a town with metahumans, so, based on population, I'd say there should be about three ninjas enrolled in this school...

He then decides to call them out, and goes to the editor of the school newspaper and asks her to publish an article where he says that "ninjas are stupid, and I'm not scared of them."

The headline: New Kid Attempts To Set Up Painfully Obvious Trap

Johnny Cornfed: Well, we know this is a town with metahumans, so, based on population, I'd say there should be about three ninjas enrolled in this school...

He then decides to call them out, and goes to the editor of the school newspaper and asks her to publish an article where he says that "ninjas are stupid, and I'm not scared of them."

Ninjas: easily goaded.

...The editor is thus the ninja or working with the ninja.

First, our cast:

Dayla - Healer/Smiter of Evil

Gilred - Assassin/Shadow Mage

Griffin - Taxidermist/Generalist Mage

Lythnader - Knife-Thrower/Rune Mage

Osric - Hunter/Warrior

Osric: I am Osric, Beast Slayer... and I want my mommy.

Osric (OOC): I took a contract. I'm honorable [looks at character sheet], I think.

[The group has just captured what could be best described as a snake-hobbit; think snake-man only hobbit sized. We took to calling it a snobbit. Dayla decides to question it.]

Dayla: Did you kill anyone?

Snobbit: shakes head no

Dayla: Are you lying to me?

Snobbit: shakes head no

Dayla: Okay.

Gilred [aside to Lythander]: I think we need to work on her interrogation technique.

Gilred: Unfortunately, I don't carry around blunt weapons. It's a lot harder to plunge one into someone's back.

[The group has spent the last few sessions tracking down an escaped chimera. The alchemist/wizard that created it had "disposed" of the failed experiment in the sewers. Lythander has been ranting about just how annoyed he is with this level of irresponsibility.]

Gilred [writes on a piece of payer and passes it to Lythander]: This is my standard fee.

GM [OOC]: I need to make him a villain.

Lythander [OOC]: You did.

Gilred [OOC]: I like to think of him as an employment opportunity.

Lythander: I'm not paying for him to be killed. I'm paying not to be implicated.

NPC Messenger: Which one of you is in charge?

Gilred: That depends, is this good news or bad news?

NPC Messenger: You all need to report to the castle immediately.

Gilred: Right, bad news. [Points at Lythander] He's in charge.

Griffin: Who died and left you in charge?

Gilred: Who do I have to kill?

[One of our side-plots is that an impostor within the local assassins guild has given Gilred an assignment to kill Griffin.]

[As Griffin is discussing the dangers of rescuing the king from an army of vampire-spawn besieging the castle.]

Gilred [to Griffin]: Don't worry, if you die I'll take the credit and get the money. That way you won't have died in vain.

[The group get's attacked by a group of vampire-spawn.]

Gilred [to Lythander]: Right, you take the 4 on the left and we'll take the other one.

Osric: You bastards!

Griffin: You monkeys!

Together: You monkey bastards!

["Monkeys!" has become Dayla's player's substitute swear-word of choice. She works in a day-care center.]

Gilred: There's something ironic about going for the jugular on a vampire spawn.

What a newb! The correct trap was (Headline) Pirates are cool! ;)

What a newb! The correct trap was (Headline) Pirates are cool! ;)

Unless it were Ninja-Pirates.

(Don't laugh, but I have an actually quite realistic/logical idea for some for another RPG: A space pirate, that stows away on ship and disables them from the inside for his buddies...)