Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

Darren Watts

Re: Quote of the Week from my gaming group...

I've got that feeling at work. I just took a new job as a web developer and my predecessor (whose code I have inherited) was completely unaware of the concepts of Code Cleanup or refactoring or even putting common code in libraries.

Ouch.

Neverwinter Nights' date=' sorry. It helped that the GMs for the servers thought that Ian's antics were entertaining enough that they backed up even his most ghastly of schemes. Of course, few of them imagined just how spectacularly successful those schemes could be. Like blowing up the entire town of Haven on three separate occasions, and on one of those occasions proved beyond any shadow of a doubt to be at the far end of the map at the time.[/quote']

See, that's what I suspected but it also confused me.

Neverwinter Nights is a video game, yes? Can you use it to run campaigns/scenarios?

I've heard of one game that you can do that...forget what it's called, but it allows you to design entire levels and run them like you were a GM too. I think.

I've got that feeling at work. I just took a new job as a web developer and my predecessor (whose code I have inherited) was completely unaware of the concepts of Code Cleanup or refactoring or even putting common code in libraries.

Ouch.

Yep. I pulled code that differed only in 3 text strings (yes, text strings) from 29 places in 25 files for one app the other day. Those 9 lines went into a function (with the strings passed as parameters) into a new concept--a shared library!

My predecessor was the king of copy-and-paste.

My predecessor was the king of copy-and-paste.

Then it was high time for a regicide and change of government. Viva la Revolution :)

Neverwinter Nights is a video game' date=' yes? Can you use it to run campaigns/scenarios?[/quote']

Jep. You get a full blown campaign editor (identical to the one they used for creating the game; you can completely alter the main game!) and a "GM-Konsole" with all this nice cheatcodes ("spawn invincible blue dragon Lvl 25 at pc spawn-point").

Never used it that way, but was told all that is possible and heard story's about it.

....very cool.

NWN was very cool. I played through it and the expansions, and created lots of little worlds in the toolset (though I never uploaded any to the NW Vault or anywhere else to share my little areas). For some reason I wasn't as taken with NWN2, even though you could have more henchmen and later on could get a keep.

So in my online Hero Game, we have Dr. Dreamtime , a mentalist who is normally reserved and dignified. He is/was a psychiatrist before being granted his Mental Abilities from an ancient god.

So we are up against some baddies and Dr. Dreamtime decides to prey on his foe's worst nightmares.

Doctor Dreamtime:

(I summon up images from my targets nightmares to bolster my Presence)

DeadUematsu:

Wow. He's actually cowed.

DeadUematsu:

* Rockslide , as Doctor Dreamtime becomes terrifyingly impressive in the dark and decrepit setting of the factory building's interior, "Mommy..."

Doctor Dreamtime:

"Your mommy can't save you now, little man!"

It just struck me as classic!

LA Singletary

I was just told of this story and there is no real Quote in it (or that one would violate the profanity rules).

Picture a high level Cleric/Magican in a LARP. In that specific LARP they use BreakableFoki to store spells: When broken, spell is cast.

So, said player larp's around, trips and breaks every single one of the BreakableFoki. Right in front of a GM. And the rules state, that he is the target of his own stored spells now.

There is a lot of them both healing/restoring and damaging/hindering, so the sequence in wich they take effect is realy important.

The gm deceides to use a random number generator (rolling some dice) which of the spell takes effect next. The sequence was somewhere like that, written as the coresponding d&d spells:

Inflict Serious Wound

Poison

Cure Serious Wound

Cure Poison

That goes on for some time, each spell either canceling the other or being canceled by one of the following.

Well, at least until....

Flesh to Stone

Stone to Dust

Gust of Wind

I was just told of this story and there is no real Quote in it (or that one would violate the profanity rules).

Picture a high level Cleric/Magican in a LARP. In that specific LARP they use BreakableFoki to store spells: When broken, spell is cast.

So, said player larp's around, trips and breaks every single one of the BreakableFoki. Right in front of a GM. And the rules state, that he is the target of his own stored spells now.

There is a lot of them both healing/restoring and damaging/hindering, so the sequence in wich they take effect is realy important.

The gm deceides to use a random number generator (rolling some dice) which of the spell takes effect next. The sequence was somewhere like that, written as the coresponding d&d spells:

Inflict Serious Wound

Poison

Cure Serious Wound

Cure Poison

That goes on for some time, each spell either canceling the other or being canceled by one of the following.

Well, at least until....

Flesh to Stone

Stone to Dust

Gust of Wind

Flesh to stone

Rock to mud

Move earth

Mud to rock

Stone to flesh.

Good for torture.

Not in-game. GM is talking about needing to prep the 7th Sea event he's running at a convention in 9 days.

"Yeah, I decided my initial outline of

Montaigne.

Stuff happens.

isn't quite good enough at this point."

Inflict Serious Wound

Poison

Cure Serious Wound

Cure Poison

Well, at least until....

Flesh to Stone

Stone to Dust

Gust of Wind

I hope someone quoted Kansas

"Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind"

Pathfinder, my bard has perform, but not sing,

has instruments, but but not the play skill.

other player tired to wrap there heads around this.

I said, he's like the band Cake. Great talent, but not actually singing.

Or the Sex Pistols.

It's called an "instrumental" when played. Your players need more exposure to more music.

It's called an "instrumental" when played. Your players need more exposure to more music.

Emphasis added - he can't play either.

BTW, my path-finder bard has oratory, he's more of a sloganeer and storyteller.

and the head cheerleader in combat, from whence comes the inspiration plusses.

I told the party leader (the baron in the city-builder path) that he would never die

while he could hear me in combat.

he told me that was scant comfort.

the DM said that my bard was the second most dangerous character in the party after

the cranked-up warrior, because my bardic combat bonuses spread out over all

the parties damage really added up after a while.

But: the group put their foot down on my Bard's performing style:

1). they bought me the Headband of Intellect, that gives you skill points,

with the play strings skill programmed into it.

2). they hired a music teacher to school me.

3). they made me promise to put actual skill points into strings next level.

4). they bought a Lyre of Building for me to use to aid the city's projects.

I was dumbfounded. Grateful, speechless, almost.

But what came out of my mouth was "I hope the headband has cool little wings in the logo"

OOC: (like Aerosmith)

Luckily he thoughly and comprenably commented all his code right?

Luckily he thoughly and comprenably commented all his code right?

If so, I could almost bear it. Combine NO comments* AND non-DRY code with the above, AND crappy variable names (1 character long or two variables will differ only by the ending letter but there is no rhyme or reason as to why that letter was picked), I honestly thought he had taken this page to heart. We're a PHP place. I don't dare count the number of times I've seen:

$sql = ...; 
$result = ...; 
while ($row = mysql_fetch_array($result) {  
  $sql = ...;
  $resultd = ...;
  $while ($rowd = mysql_fetch_array($resultd) { ... }
}

:help:

I almost forgot. I have seen only one or two joins in any of his sql statements. Neither was an inner. There are many places where he runs a second query inside the loop to get ONE piece of data from a master table that could have just been tacked on with an inner join.:idjit:

I know one thing. His new boss didn't ask for any code samples.

*any comments in his code are lines of code that didn't work or are no longer needed by order of customer.

{snip examples of spaghetti code}

At various points in my career I've inherited code like that from programmers that preceded me. More often than not, I found it easier to just rewrite the app from scratch. I know your pain. Good luck.