Herophile Fantasy art

AmadanNaBriona

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 510
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Herophile Fantasy art

Here is something a bit different from me. This is for my upcoming Weapons of the Gods game. It is a map of the valley that the PCs are from, now being called back as their beloved sifu has been poisoned.

Might be useful for Ninja Hero, Dark Champions kinda thing or a Fantasy Hero with oriental trappings.

EagleForestloRes.jpg

Here is an NPC for my upcoming Weapons of the Gods game (tomorrow!). This is Forceful Leaf, spirit of the Eagle Forest Valley. She is a quasi-spirit... but of course, knows kung fu.

Because anyone of worth in WotG knows Kung Fu.

It is also new software for me, so it was a lot of struggle trying to figure out how to do stuff. This was done in Corel Painter IX (I've been a photoshop boy up to now.)

ForcefulLeafloRes.jpg

I use both quite a lot (though I'm still quite a newbie at Painter). I've always found Photoshop to excell at image editing rather than creation -- by which I mean that it gives better results if working up from an image created by traditional means (pencils, charcoal etc.) and scanned. Its selection capabilities are better (or at least easier) than Painter's, and it allows for a much wider range of layer interactions.

Painter, on the other hand, is capable of an immense range of "natural media" effects, imitating the effects of traditional media. It allows for interactive mixing of colours right on the image as you paint, and for the easy creation of naturalistic textural effects. I haven't even begun to penetrate the full extent of its capabilities in this regard. You can also "paint" with pre-defined symbols as in this image (approx 450 KB), a map-doodle I did to try out building and using them.

I like them both a lot, but they're definitely distinct tools, each fit for a different purpose.

To all of the artists who have graciously displayed their work here... Thank You!

Having created artwork in analog media (i.e. actual paper drawings, etc.), I have a couple of questions for those who work in digital media.

1 - Do you create from scratch on the computer, or do you work in analog media then scan it in later?

2 - If the former (from question #1), what interface device(s) do you use? (My attempts at drawing with a mouse have been sadly lacking in the quality that I have seen displayed in this forum.)

If anyone can point me to some kind of tutorial or discussion group for digital art, I'd be very thankful. I've wanted to contribute to this forum for quite a while.

Also, there's a difference between rendered art - like this image of our current group doing some dungeon-bashing (since the last picture, my character has acquired some armour - and some pants!) which is by definition from scratch and the handcrafted work from people like Fitz and Storn. Design sense and an understanding of proportion and colour transfers between the two, but not much else.

cheers, Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Something a little different.

This was sketched from a bust at the Detroit Institute of Arts in probably 20 mins or so... not quite sure... I was having fun and babbling to another artist.

This is Giovanni Bandini Coismo, Grand Duke of Tuscany.

I had never seen this bust before, I go to the DIA probably 10x a year. But they have deep, deep basements and new stuff is always rotating up. I wish I could remember the painting's name that he was near.... for it is an amazing portrait of his wife and child and it is huge! It is always in their permanent collection... oh well.

DukeCoismo.jpg

and since I was bored' date=' I did another one this evening. This is the bad guy for the next sries of adventures lying before my players...[/quote']

Let me guess.... he's really a nice guy, he's just misunderstood? :)