Old School, Yesterday's Heroes

Hermit

Otis Broome smiled at his young granddaughter. Her eyes were bright blue, and taking everything in. The old man winked, and tipped his hat to her, “See Betty, this is where I used to work.” He gestured to the parking lot, “Fraid they paved it over, but once, there was a beautiful building on this spot… the ‘Guardhouse’ we called it.”

The child looked at him with suspicion, though she also seemed embarrassed at questioning her grandfather, “Were you REALLY Doctor Justice?”

“Why child, how rude, “ He tisked, “Since when has your grandfather ever sought to deceive you?”

“Uhm..” Betty thought about it, then replied, “How about when you told me that if I kicked the next cabbage over, I wouldn’t get stuck with a baby brother.” She crossed her arms and looked at him, “That didn’t work.”

“Touch’e,” Otis admitted with a smile, “But I really was Dr. Justice.”

There was an earth shattering boom, knocking both old man and girl to the ground. Otis turned his head to see two figures had crashed in the center of the street. Meteor, the flame covered stone like hero of Libra, was on top of Shatterburst, a notorious villain.

Shatterburst kicked Meteor off of him, sending the crime fighter several feet away and landing him near the two.

Meteor got up, and motioned at the villain, “Give it your best shot, @zzh*le!”

Betty’s eyes bugged a bit at the language. That, however, was the least of Otis’ worries. “Wait,” He called out to Meteor, “My granddaughter and I are here…”

“So move..” Meteor shrugged unconcerned, even as Shatterburst fired his jagged energy burst towards him. Meteor dodged easily, seemingly not caring that any innocents might get caught in what he was avoiding.

Otis moved as well in a leap that no Olympic Jumper could have made. In one motion he swooped Betty up in his arms and sprung to the side. The energy wash burned at his back, and destroyed his jacket, but while diminished, his powers remained, and he merely grunted once, essentially unharmed. Had Betty been in that same line, she would have been killed.

The two superhumans continued to duke it out, blasts and punches flying wildly and Otis found himself getting his granddaughter back to her mother the next street over.

“Martha, take Betty to safety, away from here… I have to go.”

“Dad, you can’t…” his daughter began to protest.

God, she looks so much like her mother, but I don’t have time for this Otis drew on the same voice he used to use to cause minions to hit the floor “No argument, do it NOW!”

She nodded, and took the crying child off. Even as Martha was putting Betty in the car to leave, Otis was already racing back to the fight. It felt weird to be doing this again. His heart seemed to be holding up okay. Not that it mattered if it didn’t. There were innocent lives at stake, and someone had to do damage control.

For the next ten minutes, Otis Broome cleared away innocents, saved people downed by falling debris, and yelled a great deal at the idiots who seemed to confuse the amount of property damage they caused with the size of one’s genitalia.

He was ignored.

Suddenly, Shatterburst grabbed at his throat. A thin red line formed all around his neck.

Then the villain’s head fell off, severed.

“Oh my god,” Otis muttered to himself.

“I had him, Razorwire,” Meteor scowled, “I didn’t need your help.”

Razorwire, another member of the superteam Libra, smiled like a Cheshire as she slowly appeared holding her bloody monofilament name sake, “F*** you, don’t be such a baby just because this one counts as mine…”

Some teenagers on a street corner cheered, “YEAH! Libra kicks #$$!”

They’re worshipping them , Otis felt disgusted, Those boys honestly admire someone who just killed another human being without due process of law…

It boiled up in him, “You should be ashamed of yourselves.” He scowled at the two ‘heroes’, “This isn’t how it’s done. You don’t ignore innocents then brag about kills…”

“Save the lecture, old man,” Meteor sneered, “Or you’ll be next.”

“I think he’s cute, a bit senile, but cute,” Razorwire laughed, “Let’s go.”

With that, the two left. A moment later, so did Otis. Pulling out his cell phone God, how I hate these things. he dialed a number he hadn’t called in a long time.

“Hello, Liz? It’s me, Otis. I’m fine, the heart is better I… Liz, please, let me talk. Libra just wrecked part of downtown, endangered innocents without a care, and killed a man without trial…they don’t care. We have to do something.”

The sounds of protest buzzed over the other side of the phone.

“I know we’re retired, damn it, but we’ve got to do SOMETHING. We’ve got to show this city there are still real heroes, ones who value life, and justice and… Darn it Liz, you know I’m right. You still got Malcolm’s number? His armor maybe old, but I bet he can upgrade, that’s one thing you and I can’t say. Meeting me at the parking lot where our old base was… midnight tonight. Oh, and come in costume.”

Another sound of protest issued from the cell.

“Yes, I know it will need to be altered. I don’t fit in mine either. Liz, we don’t have a choice. We maybe Yesterday’s Heroes, but we’re the only ones who can save today.”

There was a sigh on the other side of the call, an acceptance, and finally a god bless.

“You too, Liz, you too,” And Otis Broome, the once and soon to be present Dr. Justice, eyed the vacant Parking lot for at least an hour remembering.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Old School, Yesterday's Heroes

I love teen super hero games, but I have to wonder, has anyone done a 'Senior Super hero" campagin? It can be done lighthearedly (Like those poor old timers in the PowerPuff Girls episode), or a more seriously (Think "Kingdom Come" only if the heroes had their powers diminish as they grew older).

The above story is sort of an idea I was considering (briefly) for a HEROcentral campaign, where every player would have a character essentially 350, but with some limitations on their powers, characteresitcs, and such to reflect that they are not what they were.

I quickly chickened out.

Still, I had to mention the idea somewhere or I'd burst.

You're killing me with your writing. This stuff is too good! I love that story. You should be compiling them into a Hermit's Lore pdf or something. Really.

In our Legacy Universe game the GM had us play our parent in the first session. They all got captured, which led to the kids grouping together to save them. It really was a lot of fun. We got to play 60-something Guardian, Superman, Wonder Woman, Hawkeye, and late 40-something Flash III and Colossus. I played Wonder Woman [batman was already dead by then]. She was the only character still in her prime. It was a real blast. :)

Having never seen either a comic or a game in which heroes behave in the manner you show Libra behaving (except in cases where it's clear such people are not meant to be considered heroes) I don'e have this gut reaction to the so-called "iron age" mentality.

That said I did have a senior game concept at one point which I never got to run. This was actually meant to be run using GURPS rules because it has aging rules and would be a bit harder, I think, in Champions (also in GURPS skill points are base on a character's age). The idea is that all of the characters are over ninety years old and living in a sheltered care facility because of the overt symptoms of dementia brought on by Alzheimer's disease (which it has become clear is actually the most common dysfunctioning of the brain in advanced years and was only thought to be uncommon because of studies of early onset cases). They are, quite unethically, subjected to an experimental treatment which works (it brings them out of their dementia, it does not restore cognitive function which is why GURPS aging rules were useful) but has the unexpected side-effect of bestowing superhuman powers upon the patients (powers along the same level and diversity as found in, say, an X-title).

I thought this would be an interesting varying away from teens with powers gaming. These would be characters with significant (if somewhat outdated) skills but possibly a little slow on the uptake, and who would have an entirely different point of view than their colleagues.

I was very disappointed with the way Old Man was treated in the Alpha Flight revival (ok, I know that wasn't his code name but, damn, I wish it was).

Having never seen either a comic or a game in which heroes behave in the manner you show Libra behaving (except in cases where it's clear such people are not meant to be considered heroes) I don'e have this gut reaction to the so-called "iron age" mentality.

Well, I wouldn't call it a 'gut reaction' per se. it's an extreme, true, but in this case the inspiration most drawn from was my memory of Kingdom Come (All bow down before Mark Waid :hail: ). I was worried folks would dismiss any such campaign idea with elderly heroes as merely 'funny haha' and so shared what I saw as the opposite of that.

Apologies to those who love Iron Age if they feel I've besmirched their favorite style of play :o

Libra? For an Iron Age group? I am going to sue, I really am. Either that or I am fetching my lightsaber . . .

Errr... I was thinking they'd call themselves Libra boasting "We do Justice OUR way" ...

I don't suppose we could settle out of court and I pay you in rep? ;)

I'm with ya boss, and excellent writing btw!

It harkens to two themes for me. One, as mentioned, a sort of KC moment of "That's not how it's supposed to be done". Two, as an homage to groups like the JSA, who didn't have that sort of an example to spur them on, but still realized that in an Iron Age world, it's nice to see some silver age restraint and respect for life.

Big thumbs up from me Hermit, but then again, I still think there is only ONE green lantern, and he isn't a member of some intergalactic state police. ;)

I love teen super hero games, but I have to wonder, has anyone done a 'Senior Super hero" campagin? It can be done lighthearedly (Like those poor old timers in the PowerPuff Girls episode), or a more seriously (Think "Kingdom Come" only if the heroes had their powers diminish as they grew older).

The above story is sort of an idea I was considering (briefly) for a HEROcentral campaign, where every player would have a character essentially 350, but with some limitations on their powers, characteresitcs, and such to reflect that they are not what they were.

I quickly chickened out.

Did a one-shot. One of the players had a character whose vehicle was so heavy it damaged the roads it ran on.

I quickly chickened out.

Your writing continues to amaze me. Do you write professionally?

I like this, I really really like this.

Otis Broome smiled at his young granddaughter. Her eyes were bright blue, and taking everything in. The old man winked, and tipped his hat to her, “See Betty, this is where I used to work.†He gestured to the parking lot, “Fraid they paved it over, but once, there was a beautiful building on this spot… the ‘Guardhouse’ we called it.â€

The child looked at him with suspicion, though she also seemed embarrassed at questioning her grandfather, “Were you REALLY Doctor Justice?â€

“Why child, how rude, “ He tisked, “Since when has your grandfather ever sought to deceive you?â€

“Uhm..†Betty thought about it, then replied, “How about when you told me that if I kicked the next cabbage over, I wouldn’t get stuck with a baby brother.†She crossed her arms and looked at him, “That didn’t work.â€

“Touché’,†Otis admitted with a smile, “But I really was Dr. Justice.â€

There was an earth shattering boom, knocking both old man and girl to the ground. Otis turned his head to see two figures had crashed in the center of the street. Meteor, the flame covered stone like hero of Libra, was on top of Shatterburst, a notorious villain.

Shatterburst kicked Meteor off of him, sending the crime fighter several fit away and landing him near the two.

Meteor got up, and motioned at the villain, “Give it your best shot, @zzh*le!â€

Betty’s eyes bugged a bit at the language. That, however, was the least of Otis’ worries. “Wait,†He called out to Meteor, “My granddaughter and I are here…â€

“So move..†Meteor shrugged unconcerned, even as Shatterburst fired his jagged energy burst towards him. Meteor dodged easily, seemingly not caring that any innocents might get caught in what he was avoiding.

Otis moved as well in a leap that no Olympic Jumper could have made. In one motion he swooped Betty up in his arms and sprung to the side. The energy wash burned at his back, and destroyed his jacket, but while diminished, his powers remained, and he merely grunted once, essentially unharmed. Had Betty been in that same line, she would have been killed.

The two superhumans continued to duke it out, blasts and punches flying wildly and Otis found himself getting his granddaughter back to her mother the next street over.

“Martha, take Betty to safety, away from here… I have to go.â€

“Dad, you can’t…†his daughter began to protest.

God, she looks so much like her mother, but I don’t have time for this Otis drew on the same voice he used to use to cause minions to hit the floor “No argument, do it NOW!â€

She nodded, and took the crying child off. Even as Martha was putting Betty in the car to leave, Otis was already racing back to the fight. It felt weird to be doing this again. His heart seemed to be holding up okay. Not that it mattered if it didn’t. There were innocent lives at stake, and someone had to do damage control.

For the next ten minutes, Otis Broome cleared away innocents, saved people downed by falling debris, and yelled a great deal at the idiots who seemed to confuse the amount of property damage they caused with the size of one’s genitalia.

He was ignored.

Suddenly, Shatterburst grabbed at his throat. A thin red line formed all around his neck.

Then the villain’s head fell off, severed.

“Oh my god,†Otis muttered to himself.

“I had him, Razorwire,†Meteor scowled, “I didn’t need your help.â€

Razorwire, another member of the superteam Libra, smiled like a Cheshire as she slowly appeared holding her bloody monofilament name sake, “F*** you, don’t be such a baby just because this one counts as mine…â€

Some teenagers on a street corner cheered, “YEAH! Libra kicks #$$!â€

They’re worshipping them , Otis felt disgusted, Those boys honestly admire someone who just killed another human being without due process of law…

It boiled up in him, “You should be ashamed of yourselves.†He scowled at the two ‘heroes’, “This isn’t how it’s done. You don’t ignore innocents then brag about kills…â€

“Save the lecture, old man,†Meteor sneered, “Or you’ll be next.â€

“I think he’s cute, a bit senile, but cute,†Razorwire laughed, “Let’s go.â€

With that, the two left. A moment later, so did Otis. Pulling out his cell phone God, how I hate these things. he dialed a number he hadn’t called in a long time.

“Hello, Liz? It’s me, Otis. I’m fine, the heart is better I… Liz, please, let me talk. Libra just wrecked part of downtown, endangered innocents without a care, and killed a man without trial…they don’t care. We have to do something.â€

The sounds of protest buzzed over the other side of the phone.

“I know we’re retired, damn it, but we’ve got to do SOMETHING. We’ve got to show this city there are still real heroes, ones who value life, and justice and… Darn it Liz, you know I’m right. You still got Malcolm’s number? His armor maybe old, but I bet he can upgrade, that’s one thing you and I can’t say. Meeting me at the parking lot where are old base was… midnight tonight. Oh, and come in costume.â€

Another sound of protest issued from the cell.

“Yes, I know it will need to be altered. I don’t fit in mine either. Liz, we don’t have a choice. We maybe Yesterday’s Heroes, but we’re the only ones who can save today.â€

There was a sigh on the other side of the call, an acceptance, and finally a god bless.

“You too, Liz, you too,†And Otis Broome, the once and soon to be present Dr. Justice, eyed the vacant Parking lot for at least an hour remembering.

Your writing continues to amaze me. Do you write professionally?

A bit off topic, but no. I have written some articles for Digital Hero (Which I enjoyed and hope to do more of) but writing pure ficiton for pay? Alas, no. I am trying to garner the drive, discipline, and know-how to make the attempt.

That, and my speelling sux ;)

A bit off topic, but no. I have written some articles for Digital Hero (Which I enjoyed and hope to do more of) but writing pure ficiton for pay? Alas, no. I am trying to garner the drive, discipline, and know-how to make the attempt.

That, and my speelling sux ;)

Good luck with your endeavor. I think you have real talent. :)

the inspiration most drawn from was my memory of Kingdom Come...

I was just about to comment that your story was a great homage to Waid's Kingdon Come... but you said it first. ;)

The campaign sounds like real fun. As you can see... I'm a fan of the morals of old!

If you don't mind I'm coing to copy your story to our game forum as a reminder to my players of the true meaning of heroism. (But not until you say it's okay)

I was just about to comment that your story was a great homage to Waid's Kingdon Come... but you said it first. ;)

The campaign sounds like real fun. As you can see... I'm a fan of the morals of old!

If you don't mind I'm coing to copy your story to our game forum as a reminder to my players of the true meaning of heroism. (But not until you say it's okay)

I'd be honored. Please feel free to post it.

Feel free to edit it as well if you like, that was a hasty piece of fiction ;)

I'd be honored. Please feel free to post it.

Feel free to edit it as well if you like, that was a hasty piece of fiction ;)

It's exactly what I need. My players try their best to be good guys, but they're always forgetting that their energy blasts, flashes, thrown trucks, etc. sometimes keep going if they miss their intended target. So far I've been nice and conveniently held the battles in unpopulated areas near warehouse districts and construction sites - usually late at night.

But they've had at least 6 month to get used to their characters so I'm going to step up my campaign with a giant underworld take-over scenario. This will undoubtedly lead to some daylight encounters at restaurants and in heavily populated areas. I hope your story will remind them that the real enemy is not the villains but the potential loss of life!

The bad guy may get away, so what... get him later. Little Jenny only dies once!!!

Great fiction. Potentially a basis for a really cool game.

I'm a big fan of the (original) JSA, so I'm quite fond of geezer-heroes.

I also have been known to play with the fact that I've been playing Champions/HERO since 1st Edition. My characters (outside things like Teen Supers games, of course) tend to be built as veterans, emphasising skills rather than powers. (I should probably use more power tricks when I do this.)

I'd rep you, except I'm sure other people have, and I wouldn't want you to get spoilt. :)

So... who's going to run the PBEM? :)

---

Hmm... a Silver Age character born in the late 40s would be 55-60 now... That would work. He would be more or less Spider-man's age, if Spidey had aged in real time.

A Golden Age sidekick born in say, 1930, would be 75 now. How would he react to Chippy the Boy Sensation? :)

But then, even in my early 40s I'm feeling a little bit dodgy about the knees. (One of the reasons I gave Assault reduced aging was to allow for the conceit that he had been hanging around since the early 80s.) You could actually play "Old Codger versus Snot Nose Punk" with characters that aren't about to move into an old people's home.

It's just the attitude difference that matters.

And why isn't PRIMUS (or some other govt. organization) chasing them?

Good question...obviously if a GM ran a campaign like the story, there would have to be a reason to explain the government's seeming ineffectiveness.