Old School, Yesterday's Heroes

Hermit

Re: Old School, Yesterday's Heroes

Good question...obviously if a GM ran a campaign like the story' date=' there would have to be a reason to explain the government's seeming ineffectiveness.[/quote']

Well, what was the reason in the original _Kingdom Come_? I seem to remember it being that Luthor and some other villains were deliberately heating things up to get heroes in an even worse odor with the public?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well' date=' what was the reason in the original _Kingdom Come_? I seem to remember it being that Luthor and some other villains were deliberately heating things up to get heroes in an even worse odor with the public?[/quote']

I'd have to reread it, I think another factor was by that time, the supers were so numerous, and so powerful, that the government just wasn't able to do the job, barring really extreme measures.

Ahhhh. Bribery and an interersting idea. I like this thread.

Don't fret none, junior. Some of us will continue to ignore you.

Nice one Hermit. This sort of behavbiour is what gets the old hero to suddenly beat 10 kinds of the living daylights out of the so called good guys.

The truly scary thing about this thread is that I started designing an "older" character yesterday. It's quite possible that this character may become the basis for a whole sequence of character designs.

The character was quite neat, with three overall skills, martial arts (brawling/boxing) and a set of characteristics that was reasonable enough. The main problem was that his Con was a little low, and I may fix that in a later draft. What really made it work, however, was that I went against my usual habits and put limitations on his powers. :(

The resulting character can, of course, slap my usual character designs through a wall.

Which was the whole point.

I like these kind of characters. I may start playing them.

I'm in the late planning stages of a campaign that is similar in concept.

The first part of the campaign will be set in the 1970's. The PC's will have to (attempt) to hold off an alien invasion that decimated most of the world's greatest heros and much of south east asia. I've got four senarios planned, that could decide the fate of the world as they know it.

The next part of the campaign will be set in the 2000's. The PC's will either be the now older originals (assuming they survived the first part--unlikely) or their younger replacements.

Both parts should be rather dark and foreboding, fate of the world, life and death, cats and dogs living together, etc etc.

The other twist to this: the first part will be Pbem, the second "face to face" using computer and internet technology.

First off, excellent storytelling. Brava, Brava !!

And second, I can't help thinking of a background moment for a campaign I've

been toying with: basically, daughter of "Superman type" and "Wonder Woman"

type from the Golden Age (who is herself 53 but with slowed aging still looks in

her twenties) marries another hero and they give birth to a daughter while "under

fire" from a meglomanical (is there another kind ?) villain. Afterwards, the hero

husband/father comments that he would willingly kill the villain who threatened

his unborn/newborn daughter. To which his wife sharply responds "No! That's not

what we do."

Just my $.02US. And again, Brava!!

-Carl-

Cool as a cucumber storytelling, as always good Hermit.

You really should try writing professionally, but until then I'd be more than happy to continue to read what you post around these here parts. Also, I second what someone said about compiling your writings into a PDF.

My only experience with "geezer" heroes was an NPC named Silver Cyclone. Although my players were hardly as out of control as the ones you wrote about, I still introduced him to show the players how a "real" hero behaves. That and he ended up sacrificing himself to save the PCs.

Too cool.

Nice, Reclusive Hermit!

Though, I was wondering if you'd seen the Super Sonic Astro City? Another, slightly different take on older heroes coming out of retirement...

Don't get me wrong. I love your work and would really enjoy playing in a game ran by you at HeroCentral. If you get the gumption... Please let me know and send an invitation.

Though, I was wondering if you'd seen the Super Sonic Astro City? Another, slightly different take on older heroes coming out of retirement...

Alas, no. I have only read one Astro City trade, the first one, after folks recommended on these very boards that I MUST find some and read them. Now, it is one of those things I peek around for when I get to the Trade/Graphic novel section of my local used book stores.

:)

<<>>

This older hero gets a visit from his old 'manager'. Manager is trying to get SS back in the tights. SS says, sure he's got super-speed but not what he used to have and doesn't want to do it.

Something horrible happens and SS has to save the day. he doesn't have what he used to, so he actually has to do it the dirty way, causing way more collateral damage then ever would have before. This shames him immensely and he finally get the manager to understand.

Anyways, that's the down to the nittygritty. Both yours, and Busiek's are good stories.

Oh, and I'd play anything you wanted to try.

• 9 months later...

Nope. I have another campaign , a more 'standard' one on HERO Central, and as it is actually work, I've decided not to pursue this avenue of GMing. Maybe one day I will, and of course, I'm still curious how other folks 'senior hero campaigns' if any are going.

Nope. I have another campaign ' date=' a more 'standard' one on HERO Central, and as it is actually work, I've decided not to pursue this avenue of GMing. Maybe one day I will, and of course, I'm still curious how other folks 'senior hero campaigns' if any are going.[/quote']

You could also concievably go the other way too. Though it's not as unique an idea, but have the next generation of heroes starting to emerge as legacies from the "Heroic" generation. They bump ideologies with the "Iron Age" guys who are now in their apex. Kind of a "Hope for the Future" style campaign.

• 4 months later...

Awesome story, awesome concept.

Multigenerational heroing is some of the best roleplay that you can get your hands on.

PCs in my current campaign range from 18-year-old kid (barely, his birthday was two months ago), to a 47-year-old, to another who is physically 30, immortal, but still has a septuagenarian mindset. Funfun.

Older NPCs are a major part of the campaign world, but the PCs are all basically prime. Now, to reverse that, and make the PCs as over-the-hill veterans trying to fit in amongst younger, stronger upstarts... well, that has me cackling in malicious glee even without the Silver Age - Iron Age controversy.

If nobody starts a campaign like this, I might have to steal the idea when my current chronicle has exhausted itself.