Best Section Header *Ever*

Steve Long

One of the cool things about editing the work of good writers is that I get to chance across funny little tidbits and turns of phrase they include in their work before anyone else gets to see them. ;) Some of you may remember my glee at Scott's sentence about mole-men in Villainy Amok.

As I near the end of PH, I'm editing the sections that S. John Ross wrote for the GMing chapter. One paragraph discusses making that which is exotic even more exotic. His title for that section:

Add More Yaks

Funniest section header ever! ;)

Re: Best Section Header *Ever*

Mmmm.... I like yaks.

My friends learned only one thing from 4th edition Fantasy Hero and that is, "Kolbold children aren't worth experience alive." Being the GM I got a bit more out if it. :)

We still sometimes break out 4th edition Horror Hero just for the hilarious examples.

One of the cool things about editing the work of good writers is that I get to chance across funny little tidbits and turns of phrase they include in their work before anyone else gets to see them. ;) Some of you may remember my glee at Scott's sentence about mole-men in Villainy Amok.

As I near the end of PH, I'm editing the sections that S. John Ross wrote for the GMing chapter. One paragraph discusses making that which is exotic even more exotic. His title for that section:

Add More Yaks

Funniest section header ever! ;)

Is it okay if I have "Yodelling Yaks in Yachts" ?

I'm not surprised. S. John Ross's body of work speaks for itself. I was very pleased when I heard that he would be contributing to Pulp HERO. Not that there's anything at all wrong with an all-Steven S. Long Production ;) , but I like the idea of multiple voices in a book as broad as this. Especially as interesting a voice as Ross's. :thumbup:

Yeah, I'm afraid it's too late for that. Maybe I can use it as the main header for the back-of-book cover blurb:

ADD MORE YAKS!

Pulp Hero brings you the amazing worlds of Pulp adventure! Play intrepid explorers, bold two-fisted heroes, and daring barnstormers as you adventure through the amazing world of the Twenties and Thirties. Plus, there are yaks!

No yaks were harmed in the making of this book.

I work in the newspaper industry (hell, I edit them), and it's always a source of pleasure when people come up with great headlines.

We thrive on them. A newspaper office without the deskmen laughing themselves silly is no office I ever want to work in.

I hold two - possibly three - true greats among headlines.

The first two are legend. Way back when the great explorer Sir Vivien Fuchs (it's pronounced 'Fooks') set off on his expedition to the south pole, the Sun headlined the tale, "Sir Vivien Fuchs Off to Antarctic".

Another one is from the Times. Years ago, when Gloria Swanson made a rare visit to England via the Queen Mary steamship, she arrived at Southampton Dock on a Monday morning and complained about the rough crossing. The name of the deskman who wrote this is long forgotten, but his words will live forever: "Sick transit, Gloria, Monday". True class.

The third I was privileged to be involved with. I was struggling to find a half-way decent headline for a boring story about vets' advice on caring for hibernating pet rabbits. A colleague looked up from his desk and muttered: "Avoid iced buns". Absolute genius.

But if I can find a way to add yaks into my next edition, I will. It won't be my first homage to the great SJohn...

Yak wrestling... Yak to Yak combat... Raiders of the Lost Yak... Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of Yaks? Wow, this game could have it all.

Blimey, must be way past my bedtime or the missus has been putting experimental chemicals into the cocoa again.

A yak bit my sister once...

Well, I hope she bit it back!

What year can we expect to see The Ultimate Yak?

That is as yet undetermined.

At the risk of derailing the thread further, I'll share another "clever turns of phrase" story that's a favorite of mine. In the mid-nineteenth century, British military officer Sir Charles Napier was assigned to conquer the kingdom of Sind. He questioned the morality of the action, but like a good soldier went ahead. after succeeding, he sent his superiors a one-word message in Latin: peccavi -- I have sinned.

I work in the newspaper industry (hell, I edit them), and it's always a source of pleasure when people come up with great headlines.

We thrive on them. A newspaper office without the deskmen laughing themselves silly is no office I ever want to work in.

I hold two - possibly three - true greats among headlines.

The first two are legend. Way back when the great explorer Sir Vivien Fuchs (it's pronounced 'Fooks') set off on his expedition to the south pole, the Sun headlined the tale, "Sir Vivien Fuchs Off to Antarctic".

Another one is from the Times. Years ago, when Gloria Swanson made a rare visit to England via the Queen Mary steamship, she arrived at Southampton Dock on a Monday morning and complained about the rough crossing. The name of the deskman who wrote this is long forgotten, but his words will live forever: "Sick transit, Gloria, Monday". True class.

The third I was privileged to be involved with. I was struggling to find a half-way decent headline for a boring story about vets' advice on caring for hibernating pet rabbits. A colleague looked up from his desk and muttered: "Avoid iced buns". Absolute genius.

But if I can find a way to add yaks into my next edition, I will. It won't be my first homage to the great SJohn...

A favorite headline off mine is one that a friend of mine who did some freelance work as a local sports writer told me about. It was from the Larry Bird era of the Celtics when they lost a game and Larry's nose got broken in the process:

Bird's Beak Busted As Boston Bested

For some reason, whenever I hear "yak", I always flash to Ren and Stimpy's Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen.

Sjohn has much to answer for. :-)

Our country reeks of trees, our yaks are really large,

And they smell like rotting beef carcasses.

And we have to clean up after them,

And our saddle sores are the best.

We proudly wear womens clothing,

And searing sand blows up our skirts.

And the buzzards they soar over head,

And poisonous snakes will devour us whole.

Our bones will bleach in the sun.

And we will probably go to Heck,

And that is our great reward

For being the, uh, Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen!

Funny. I don't find the word "yak" all that much of a non sequitur from standard game setting parlance.

In Shadowrun, "Yak" is cut-down slang for Japanese organized crime (yakuza), and in the WW2 and post-WW2 era there were a number of Soviet combat aircraft which were Yak-something, where something was a number (in the same vein as Mig-21, etc.). Either one is perfectly in place ... in its genre.

In fact, when I first glanced at the thread, I assumed that "add more yaks" meant that the standard bad-guy NPCs were Japanese crime figures, and if the fights weren't challenging enough, just increase the number of opponent mooks. :straight: