Old School Hero Newsletters

JohnTaber

Before Adventurers Club and Digital Hero there were Hero Newsletters! Never heard of them?!? Well you can download them from my website! Go to the File Downloads page. Here is a link to John's Hero HQ.

There are four newsletters, an old letter from the original Steve at Hero (aka Steve Peterson), and an old mailer. They are all worth a chuckle or two. The prices on the mailer are great!

FYI. I asked Steve and Darren...they said it was ok for me to post these. ;)

Enjoy! :D

Re: Old School Hero Newsletters

Before Adventurers Club and Digital Hero there were Hero Newsletters! Never heard of them?!? Well you can download them from my website! Go to the File Downloads page. Here is a link to John's Hero HQ.

There are four newsletters, an old letter from the original Steve at Hero (aka Steve Peterson), and an old mailer. They are all worth a chuckle or two. The prices on the mailer are great!

A surreal stroll down memory lane.

Cool! I'm one of the proud to still have the original newsletters. :winkgrin:

Good God, you rock! You know what is the most bizarre part of this nostalgic piece? The type font used in the newsletter looks exactly the the type font used for Champions 1 ed. Props, props and more props. Thou hast been duly rep't.

...seeing Dove's name again. Oy. That reminds me, what the heck is an 'Airacobra' anyway? Was he a flying martial artist?

While you are archiving' date='....i'm wondering if you have copies of the pre-1999 Digital Hero stuff that was hosted here.[/quote']

Can you give me more detail? Do you mean the stuff Dave M did in a previous life? :D That stuff was not hosted here. It was on his site...and I think it is still there. :)

FYI. I ran the Checkered Demon BBS for a few years. (A Hero focused BBS that was pre-web explosion.) This gave me a good chance to collect a lot of material (official and not) from the old Hero stalwarts. If folks think this stuff is fun I can dig through my records and pull out more material. I will clear everything that I post with Steve, Darren, and the author...if I can find him/her. I know I have some great stuff from Scott Bennie's old campaign. I also have just about everything that was on the old Red October BBS. ;)

Are folks interested?

Can you give me more detail? Do you mean the stuff Dave M did in a previous life?
No, before I started the online magazine here at Hero, Bruce Harlick used to occasionally post fan articles in HTML, under the website section known as Digital Hero. And, no, I'm afraid I don't have archives of that, either.

Airacobra is Mike Gray's character. (Mike did layouts for the first Viper book along with some other older D&D stuff as I recall.) I'll get in touch with Bruce or Ray to see if I can gather more info on Airacobra.

Re: Older Digital Hero stuff. I'll also hit up Bruce on this stuff as well. He might have it archived or something. ;)

Awesome,

While you are archiving,....i'm wondering if you have copies of the pre-1999 Digital Hero stuff that was hosted here.

Pre-1999? I assume you mean the "weekly" freebie articles that ran on the Hero Games website from Jan 1999 until Jan 2001. I have all but six of these (accidents happen) - what are you looking for?

Here's what I have:

• 19990107 Arcane Avenues - Jaster's Dust and Powder Emporium (Rob Bose).htm
  • 19990121 Arimite Knife-Fighting (Rolans Volz).htm
  • 19990121 College of Air Magic (Robert J. Hall).htm
  • 19990121 It's Not The Fall That Kills You (Kevin Wiley).htm
  • 19990128 College of Animal Powers (Robert J. Hall).htm
  • 19990128 Translational Fantasy Not Just Another Fantasy Campaign (Curtis Gibson).htm
  • 19990218 Crimson Skies A Game of Aerial Combat (Molotov).htm
  • 19990218 Fencing Unbound (John Cunningham).htm
  • 19990310 Converting Spell Colleges to Multipowers (Robert J. Hall).htm
  • 19990319 Unknown Eagles Fuzion and Crimson Skies (Brian Isikoff).htm
  • 19990401 College of Animation (Robert J. Hall).htm
  • 19990401 I'll Stop The World (John R. Jacobs).htm
  • 19990415 Digest of Magical Armor (Robert J. Hall).htm
  • 19990427 Arcane Avenues - Jurzon's Jars (Robert Bose).htm
  • 19990427 Conjuration Multipower Framework (Robert J. Hall).htm
  • 19990511 College of Illusionists (Bobert J. Hall).htm
  • 19990511 McQuark's Corner - Going On a Trip (Patrick E. Bradley).htm
  • 19990813 Gestalt (Scott Bennie).htm
  • 19990817 Computers and Netrunning (Brian King, Robert Kown, Steve Deutsch Jr., Gary Townsend, and Chris Lincon).htm
  • 19990824 Shou Zhan Chaun Temple (Bryan Salois).htm
  • 19991107 Shou Zhan Knight Training (Bryan Salois).htm
  • 19991127 Force Fields Enhanced (W. Jason Allen).htm
  • 19991210 Setting Our Sights On Aiming (Dwayne L. Leonard).htm
  • 20000129 Weapons Training in the Martial Arts (Bryan Salois).htm
  • 20000226 Scenario Design for Champions (John Stevens).htm
  • 20000325 Stun Multiples Refigured (W. Jason Allen).htm
  • 20000401 Absorption Modified (Dallas Earl).htm
  • 20000415 Elemental Damage Reduction (W. Jason Allen).htm
  • 20000430 On Killing Attacks and STUN Multiples (Michael Kirkley).htm
  • 20000508 Power Versatility in the Hero System and Fuzion (Don).htm
  • 20000521 Arcane Avenues - The Point and Shaft (Bob Rose).htm
  • 20000604 A Power Pool-Based Magic System for Fantasy Hero 1 (Keith Curtis & Paul Clark).htm
  • 20000611 A Power Pool-Based Magic System for Fantasy Hero 2 (Keith Curtis & Paul Clark).htm
  • 20000618 A Power Pool-Based Magic System for Fantasy Hero 3 (Keith Curtis & Paul Clark).htm
  • 20000625 Arcane Avenues - Zifern's Fine Furnishing (Bob Rose).htm
  • 20000806 The Flavor of the Game (John Stevens).htm
  • 20001023 Broken Kingdoms Map (Jason Tondro).bmp
  • 20010102 Presence The New Multipower Slot Every Mentalist Needs.htm

Here's what I'm missing:

• 04/15/99: Dr. McQuark: Out of the Vault (Patrick Bradley)
  • 03/10/99: Arcane Avenues: The Red Gryphon (Rob Bose)
  • 01/17/99: Creation Workshop/Creator Help Files
  • 01/17/99: Magical Rings (Bob Hall)
  • 01/07/99: Kanquan (Roland Volz)
  • 01/07/99:College of Dueling Wizards (Bob Hall)

With appropriate permission (from the Hero folks) I'd post these up on web site. Alternatively, if the Hero folks would post them themselves I'd gladly forward copies to Ben.

Re: Old Hero Stuff From The Site. AH...that stuff! I remember that stuff now. :) Re: Airacobra. He was played by Mike Gray. Sadly Mike passed away several years ago. :( Here is information from Bruce on Airacobra...

Aircobra was the Guardian's maintance man. As I recall, he had stolen some cool high tech suit from the air force or army or something like that. He could fly, make big fog banks (darkness) and might have even had an attack. He was an occasional player in the Guardians game.
Re: Old Hero Crud. I talked with Ray and I might be able to get some stuff that was never released or was pulled from an older product. If I can get some of this stuff I'll get copies then see if it is ok to post. Hang in there gents...

Pre-1999? I assume you mean the "weekly" freebie articles that ran on the Hero Games website from Jan 1999 until Jan 2001. I have all but six of these (accidents happen) - what are you looking for?

It would be cool to post all that, but i was thinking of the weekly freebie stuff from prior to the redesign of the website in '99

I remember a game that Mike Gray ran called BARFH, which stood for Bay ARea Fantasy Hero. He took a map of the bay area and ran a fantasy hero game set here. There were two competing schools of magic, one set in Palo Alto and one set in Berkeley. It was pretty strange.