What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

• 2 weeks later...

This seems to be going viral, and it's a little weird for a USer to contemplate a culture who thinks of Genghis Khan the way we think of George Washington, but the music is great.  There's about a minute of stray lead-in stuff, but ... they rock.

“Urban Tribal” by Thomas Dolby. I recently found my old iPod Classic, and I’m seeing how well the battery has held up. So far, I have played about 9 hours of ALAC files, with maybe a third of the battery remaining. That would put it at about 75-80% of the original capacity, which is really good for a device from 2007.

On 1/22/2019 at 9:12 AM, Cancer said:

This seems to be going viral, and it's a little weird for a USer to contemplate a culture who thinks of Genghis Khan the way we think of George Washington, but the music is great.  There's about a minute of stray lead-in stuff, but ... they rock.

From the perspective of the Mongols, Ghengis Khan was a great leader who forged many quarreling states in Mongolia into a single nation, and then the most formidable military force on Earth. The whole point of the wars was to preserve the carefully-crafted unity he had forged by giving his anxious warriors someone else to fight. In this, he succeeded beyond his wildest dreams.

We in the West view the Mongols through the eyes of those they fought. The way Mongols fought, and what they did after they won, horrifies  us to this day, and with good reason. The Islamic and Christian worlds came close to apocalypse when the Mongols came.

On 1/25/2019 at 10:42 PM, Ternaugh said:

Power by Kansas

Like many other bands, Kansas went through their "Eighties" phase--lots of synthesizers, orchestral backing, and polished pop hooks. A lot of it's pretty dated now, but there are a few gems, and the album still gets a fair amount of play from me. Here's one of my favorite tracks:

I also feel like the album suffered a little from not having Kerry Livgren involved. Steve Walsh was a good songwriter, but Kerry's the one who really gave the band's music life.

I DVR’ed the “not live” broadcast of Rent on Fox Sunday night.  I’m finally listening to it now.

The “not live” part was from one of the cast members breaking his foot and their showing the final dress rehearsal which was taped and only the opening where the cast member was seated (thus hiding his cast) and the finale which included the original Broadway cast.

My review;  if you just want the big songs then get the original cast recording or the movie soundtrack which had most of the OC.  If you’ve never seen the show this wasn’t a bad version.  At least as good as any touring company you’re likely too see.  Yes there were commercials, but time wise altogether they ran about as long as intermission would in a live theater setting.

P.S.  It’s a three hour long show,  even if I had it, I wouldn’t imbed it here.