What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

"Rainmaker" from the Kansas album, In The Spirit of Things, released 35 years ago on October 25, 1988. My friends and I were shopping for new release CDs at the Wherehouse Records across the street from the university, and I picked up this disc. It quickly became a favorite of mine.

Meanwhile, the folks at MCA Records/Universal Music Group were trying to make the company look good for a possible sale. Their management decided that acts like Tiffany were the future, and that older acts wouldn't be worth promoting. They cut a bunch of acts, including Kansas. And that's why, about 4 weeks later, the album was relegated to the bargain bin. 

The Dark Side of the Moon (Atmos mix, from the 50th anniversary Blu-ray), by Pink Floyd.

I balked at the price of the Deluxe 50th Anniversary box set when it came out earlier this year, as it would have been a very expensive purchase just to get the new Dolby Atmos mix. The album was recently released as a single Blu-ray audio disc, $25 at Amazon, which arrived tonight. And while the Atmos mix is very good, I don't really think that it's my favorite mix*. The positional audio is well-done, but some of the emotional impact feels blunted, lost in the format, perhaps.

*The Alan Parsons quad mix and the standard stereo mix from the 2011 Immersion Box Set get the most plays.

On 10/21/2023 at 7:49 PM, Bazza said:

Turn Turn Turn in Hebrew (I hope)

Appropriate, since the song is inspired by a section of Ecclesiastes. which is one of the Old Testament's darker philosophical books, whose protagonist (claimed to be the legendary King Solomon, last rules of a united Israel) despairs of the purposeless of his life and how nothing he does can fill the hole in his heart. His conclusion is that meaning can only be supplied by God, without whom we are directionless and void.

There are numerous problems with this, but I would need a more appropriate space if I wanted to discuss them further.

Listening to a more-or-less random episode of the Letters Page podcast, which is focused on lore from the Sentinels of the Multiverse card game and its TTRPG cousin.  Angsty alien dinosaur-man comes to Earth to blow up our civilization so that a bigger badder cosmic evil won't notice us.  Gets punched by heroes for being a jerk, does a face turn and helps fight bigger badder cosmic evil instead, then makes an newborn sapient being out of its leftover energies blended with his own and leaves Earth to deal with raising the poor thing.  Worst Father Ever Award Winner.  Kind of convoluted and silly overall.

I do rather like the idea of an alien dino-man, though.  Maybe steal and tweak with him coming to Earth with a mad on about the whole extinction event thing.  I've already got a Neanderthal space gladiator in the campaign, maybe they know each other because comic paleontology is expected to be absurd.