What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Guest Black Lotus

While I was going through my memories, I came upon this scene/song. It's the first scene of the seminal "cyberpunk" anime series Bubblegum Crisis. There are few moments in the field quite as iconic, quite as unforgettable, and that changed the game for everything that followed.

Releasing "direct to video" (VHS tape in this case) was considered shameful in much of the world, the fate of bad Disney sequels and movies that were withdrawn before they could be released to theaters.  Bubbblegum Crisis was revolutionary -- an entire series released to VHS the moment it got out the door. Too long to be a theatrical feature and far too violent for TV, it created a niche in which it would fit, setting a course that many other productions would follow (such as Tenchi-Muyo! Ryo-Ohki) where the release format was not held against them. 

It also led to the initial success of a North American distributor called AnimEigo which was quite proud of their ability to take a show that is still in Japanese, add careful subtitled, and in turn release directly to VHS where they found a willing audience.  They would apply the lessons they learned to translating many other series, like Urusei Yatsura (a 192-episiode comedy that combined sci-fi, Japanese mythology, school satire, and romantic comedy).

So this is the song that changed anime and animation forever by enabling the telling of episodic stories in shorter series -- and for proving that there was a North American audience for subtitled anime and profit to be made from it.

As for Bubblegum Crisis, there was a TV remake in the early 21st Century. Whether animation had improved or regressed in that amount of time is unclear.

9 hours ago, Pariah said:

“Well, does it get any better than singing ‘Let It Be’ with Paul McCartney who wrote the song?" Parton said in a statement. "Not only that, he played piano! Well, it did get even better when Ringo Starr joined in on drums, Peter Frampton on guitar and Mick Fleetwood playing percussion. I mean, seriously, how much better does it get? Thanks guys!”