The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

Re: The "Nice Happy" Thread

I've been having some trouble with trying to prove I have the right to live and, more importantly, work in the U.K. since the end of January this year. Since that time I've not been able to work or even receive benefits, and have been living of the generosity of friends and family.

But now it's arrived! The all important Piece Of Paper that says that I've had the right to live and work in the UK since 13th March 1984! To quote:

You do not need permission from a Government Department to take or change employment and you may engage in business or a profession as long as you comply with any general regulations for the business or professional activity.

Woohoo!

Thanks, folks. It was a tense few days after the callback waiting for the next radiological exam and its results.

Now, the aspirating the cyst still hurt, of course....

I'll bet. I just had a mole (no relation to you) burned off my back and that wasn't all that great. And that's small compared to a cyst.

Prayers of gratitude. The thing in my wife's breast is benign' date=' a premenopausal cyst.[/quote'] Once again I'm late with the news, but congrats on this one me amigo. This is why a mamary inspection each day is so important... not to mention it can be fun. Catch these before they become a problem.

(As a partial aside - At 77 my mother had one breast removed due to cancer. She oddly enough considers it a good thing. As she said, "Well, it's okay, I don't use them anymore, now do I?. If it had happened in my 20's or 30's I'd have been upset." And people wonder where my world view come from?)

Cooking is a hobby. I'm not good at it, but I've found throwing meat, potatos, onions, beans, tomatos, and carrots into the crock pot with some salt, pepper, paprika, and flower makes a decent enough stew and it makes the apartment smell good all day long while it cooks.

Cooking is a hobby. I'm not good at it' date=' but I've found throwing meat, potatos, onions, beans, tomatos, and carrots into the crock pot with some salt, pepper, paprika, and flower makes a decent enough stew and it makes the apartment smell good all day long while it cooks.[/quote']

You'll find that it is even better if you brown the meat first. Throw a bit of oil in a pan, toss in some crushed garlic, let it get just brown and then toss the meat in. Stir it a while until it is nicely browned all over and then throw it in the pot. :)

And personally I caramelize the onions first (cook them in butter until they are brown and soft) but that has more to do with my inability to eat onions that haven't had the snot cooked out of them. :)

And with cooking, the more you do it, the better you'll get at it. :thumbup:

And personally I caramelize the onions first (cook them in butter until they are brown and soft) but that has more to do with my inability to eat onions that haven't had the snot cooked out of them. :)

And with cooking, the more you do it, the better you'll get at it. :thumbup:

I'm a fan of carmelizing them as well. The trick is to let them carmelize for at least a couple hours slowly.

I'm a fan of carmelizing them as well. The trick is to let them carmelize for at least a couple hours slowly.

Hmm, I may have to give that a try. I generally do it in around 30 minutes or so. For my stew I take a large yellow onion and caramelize it in 2 sticks of butter (along with around a tablespoon of crushed garlic) as the first step. Other ingredients get added over time until it is finally stew. :)