The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

Jury duty's over (1 1/2 days of jury selection, 6 1/2 days of trial, one day of deliberation). The case was a personal injury based upon a minor car accident (rear end collision at a stop sign, defendant admitted to foot slipping on brake a bit after being stopped, only damage to vehicles was a bent license plate and broken license plate frame on the rear car from the front car's trailer hitch box mount), and our only real question during deliberation was could we believe the plaintiff. The plaintiff's lawyers asked for damages, future damages, and pain and suffering totaling around $11.5 million.

After a morning of deliberating back and forth whether we should pay the plaintiff for the initial treatments (around $5,000), most of us finally decided that too much of his testimony was suspect. We returned a verdict in favor of the defendant, who was the driver and the local company he worked for at the time.

Afterward, we talked with the defense team (the plaintiff's lawyers apparently didn't want to talk to us).  Many of the questions that the defense team had were how we interpreted their performance, what they could do better in the future, and how we arrived at our decision. There was a lot of information that we learned from them that we weren't allowed to know during the trial. Plaintiff was originally fine after initial treatment (pain relievers, muscle relaxants, some chiropractic--all paid by insurance), but decided to find a lawyer months afterward when a friend told him that he was hit by a commercial vehicle, and could make a lot of money. We found out a bunch about how certain doctors are known in the community for padding their costs for treatment when working on liens (for pay when the case is settled/won), that the plaintiff had turned down a settlement offer for $500,000 from insurance, and that he had gone through over a half-dozen lawyers before this trial. Both the lawyers and the judge were edgy during jury selection, and we found out that there was actually a previous trial, which resulted in a mistrial, when one of the 20 prospective jurors in the box decided to stand up and start spouting off opinions about lawyers and lawsuits. And if we had decided to return a verdict for the original $5000 of treatment, we found out afterward that it would have made the defendants liable for legal costs, which would have been somewhere in the area of half a million dollars.

In the end, I'm glad that I served, and I'm satisfied with the verdict that we returned.

Sounds like counsel did tell him to take the $500k, six times. He just kept shopping until he found a lawyer looking for a lottery ticket.

It's interesting what information is and is not withheld from juries. But typically there's a good reason. In my case, since the main witness was under immunity from prosecution, there were a lot of details about how that works that couldn't be revealed--safehouses, undercover police identities, and so on.

Just be glad your case took one week and not six like mine did. Six weeks puts a really big hole in your life.

I'm posting this because I want to give praise to my boys, but I can't post this to Facebook. You'll see why.

On Sunday, we got word that the parents of a family at church had just lost their overtime hours at their jobs. They have 4 children still at home (and the father has 4 living with their mother). As such, they have to scale back Christmas for the kids. My wife and I decided to help them. She told our boys yesterday morning about this, three of the kids are in the same Sunday school class. She then said, "Would you like to help them?"

These two boys, 6 and 8, got their money envelopes, pulled out 50 cents to keep for their Royal Ranger dues, and gave her the rest of the money.