The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

• 2 weeks later...

The front porch needed painting, so I took the boys out there one morning and we started scraping. I found some of the wood was rotten. The more I looked, the more I found. I wound up taking apart the entire front porch and last night, my father-in-law and I got it all back together. Besides the slats, only 4 pieces of wood were from the original. Now I need to prime the new wood, paint it all, and seal it against the weather.

Wait. Shouldn't this be in the cranky thread? Nope. I felt fantastic looking at it all put together again. And I mowed the yard last night. The weather prevented that for an entire week then working on the porch stopped it this week. It was looking bad. Now, it looks good. And I'm sure the neighbor's happy. He's trying to sell his house, and our yard being badly in need of a mow doesn't help that any.

Well, yesterday started well and ended with us squeegeeing water from the basement again. But I did have some time to think about my band for Superdraft: The Musical. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Then this morning I got an email that The Untold Podcast wants to produce one of my short stories as a dramatic reading! "Sixes Wild," set in the same fictional universe as Joshua's Pawn Shop and sharing Lou's Bar & Grill with "Crazy Moon," will be streamed! I don't know the date of the broadcast, but I'll keep you informed. (Now I need to finish its cover and upload it.) Also in writing news, I'm starting procedures with Amazon to get my first book back to my account since the publisher folded and has left it under his account.

Looking for a relaxing night on the town, four poker buddies unknowingly play cards with the Devil, but when he plays, all deals are off.

Ka-ching!

Sometimes you win big. Heck, this might even transcend big. I remember the dread that existed in the terminal 1950s that got parents to line up with their kids in lines that went all the way around the block for the polio vaccine.

Ebola vaccine works, offering 100% protection in African trial

Heard about that ebola vaccine on NPR.  The researchers say that the 100% effectiveness is probably due to the small sample size and the indirect nature of the testing--they had to do a ring test.  So the actual effectiveness is probably more on the order of 70%, but that's still really good.  It's already saving lives.

In other good news, I thought I was going to have to retest in order to renew a particular IT certification, but it turns out that since I've been keeping current with relevant credits, I don't.  This matters because six hour tests really, really suck.

The church is starting Royal Rangers, a boys club. Even as we've tried to cut the startup costs for new members (poor community), the numbers were still prohibitive. If we went with the cheap uniform, it was still close to $45 per boy. For the full utility uniform, add $25 to that number. Today, an anonymous donor told us he would pay $34 per boy and for the three leaders' uniforms we needed. We were stunned. God is good!

The church is starting Royal Rangers, a boys club. Even as we've tried to cut the startup costs for new members (poor community), the numbers were still prohibitive. If we went with the cheap uniform, it was still close to $45 per boy. For the full utility uniform, add $25 to that number. Today, an anonymous donor told us he would pay $34 per boy and for the three leaders' uniforms we needed. We were stunned. God is good!

And this morning, the last $11 per boy was covered. God is good!

• 2 weeks later...

Ghost Rider was apparently only in the Lego Marvel Super Heroes video game. Sadly, no official set that I can find was made.

And yes, I have one of everything from the Monster Hunters line, though I tend to think of 'em as the villains. Most of the sets are still in the box, waiting for me to assemble in my copious free time.

I also have some of the original Lego Movie Studio monster sets, like this one (1382 Scary Laboratory) which lives on top of my computer desk.

post-446-0-83157600-1439943058_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...