The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

About 30 minutes before I started my vacation yesterday, I accidentally caused a remote data wipe to my work cell phone's mail application. I was having certificate problems, and attempted to refresh--the management software helpfully made it through to the point of installing the cert--but then the phone "couldn't reach the server". On the bright side, I'm not supposed to check the phone when I'm off the clock unless I'm on call (one week every 10), so it'll wait until I get back.

I finally decided to tinker with my old computer, and it ended up throwing a bunch of errors. So, I attempted to reinstall Windows 10 on it, which failed with a lovely BSoD. So, I tried Windows 7 from the factory discs. That seemed to work until I started loading drivers. Each subsequent reboot started taking longer and longer, until it just wouldn't clear the loading screen.

The problem's fixed now, though. Ubuntu found all of the hardware drivers and set them up automatically, and even found the network printer without prompting. My goal was to turn it into a file server for the house anyway, and that will be a good project for working on occasionally this week.

Had the meeting today to form our requests for Core sections for next academic year.  Took two and a hlaf hours, but we got it done.  I can now put in fewer hours for a while, as those requests are sort of the whole reason I have that gig.  Some damnfool thing will no doubt develop over the autumn that will demand my attention come January or February, but that's still a couple of months where I can catch up on my grading, reading, and prep for my class next spring.

19 kids so far. Three of them found a doorbell. Kit-Kats and plain Hershey bars are gone from the first box of 30, leaving Hershey with almonds and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups. Most of the kids wanted the Hot Wheels cars, but one kid collected two monster figures that had been living in the Halloween bucket for probably 7 or 8 years. I'm down to one Halloween pencil, which was originally from a package that we bought about a dozen years ago (and were probably older than the kids who wanted them).

With us, it all depends on what part of the townhome complex they start with. Most of the kids had nearly empty buckets and sacks when they found me, which probably means they came in on the closest entrance. We just got a second burst, which would be kids that started at one of the other entrances. They had more loot in their sacks when they hit the door, which means that they've already cleared a few streets.

33 kids so far. 27 candy bars to go, then it's cars only,

6 hours ago, Enforcer84 said:

The doc asked me if anyone in my family had suffered from skin cancer and I blurted that my uncle Richard had died from it.

Then I remembered he was my step-dad's brother. Embarrassment ensued.

When I first started seeing my doctor, he asked if there was any history of cancer in the family.

"Well, my uncle was treated for a brain tumor." (Doctor writes down a note). "He worked in the Maine Yankee Nuclear Power plant for several years." (Doctor crosses out note).

Spent five days in London with Mother. Went to the Spirit of London event and got a liqueur and a pressie for my cousin. Went to Harrods and Fortnum and Mason and got Champagne and goodies for people. Had chicken curry at a pub near the hotel. Went to St Pancras for the champagne bar. Travelled first class up and back which means free tea/coffee and something like fruitcake or sarnies up to 4 times either way.. 

The other book I backed on Kickstarter has arrived.

Went with wife up to father-in-law's, and thence out to Fir Island (part of the Skagit River delta).  Very nice sunny autumn day.  Some of the winter-over birds were there: maybe a hundred or two trumpeter swans and probably ten to twenty thousand snow geese.  The swans are silent; the geese just the opposite.  The swans are pretty chill.  The geese move and talk continually.  Watched the big mass of geese graze in the grass and interact, and eventually they got spooked and the whole flock took flight.  She grabbed some video with her phone, but I haven't looked at it.

EDIT: This is someone else's video from a year and a half back of the geese (probably a few times the number we had today, but not twenty times the number, if you see what I mean) in the same area (probably a few miles from where we were), but it was taken from further away from the birds  -- we were no more than 25 yards from the edge of the flock on the ground -- so the noise in the linked video is diminished compared to what we heard today.

• 2 weeks later...

Caught the 6:57 am train on Saturday to Reading and got in at 09:40. Spent day trying Talisman (abandoned for lunch), Cthulhu Flux, Chez Gloom, King of Tokyo and Judge Dredd. Got my birthday pressies and doled out the December birthday pressie to friend whose birthday is in December. Got Solo: A Star Wars Story, Fortitude Season 2, Rammstein videos collection and American Gods Season 1 as pressies. The spawn of friends in Reading aka Apocalypse decided to thwart everyone in Dredd so we went after him with gusto. At one stage I had to fight a block war with him and used the Bike Cannon, Laser Cannon and Stum Gas on him. For those in the know that is 15 points of cards. I won one of the Kingdom of Tokyo rounds which was good. Got back to the station before 6:30 pm and caught the 6:31 home. So I was in for 10:00 pm. 

Ordered and received the Tour de France 6 DVD collection.

• 3 weeks later...

Back in the 90s and early 2000s I visited GenCon in Milwaukee. It was there that I came across and bought dungeon maps from Wyrmworks called Bricks and Bones and Capella's Asylum. I could not get my hands on another set despite other visits. I found Noble Knights games where they buy and sell Out of Stock material. I was thus able to request the Witchaven set. With Customs and shipping I am paying three times the original p[rice. But now I have it. It arrived today and it is what I wanted. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...