The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

Been a good few days for British sport.

Tom Daley won a Gold medal and a Silver in Diving at the World Championships.

The England team won the Women's Cricket World Cup despite Wikipedia saying India won it before the match had even taken place.

And Christopher Froome won the Tour de France despite not winning a single stage. It was close up to the time trial when the second place rider lost ground. Simon Yates won the Young Rider and this mirrored what his twin brother won last year. Froome has not won a race this year as well. But he now has won four Tours the most since Indurain discounting Lance Armstrong, and has now won three in a row not done again since Indurain

I went dumpster diving today and salvaged a few hundred feet of barbed wire.

One of the highlights of my youth was being an 8-year-old in Berlin, playing war games with a dozen others of my tribe, in real bombed-out cellars, with real coils of barbed wired wire lying discarded in some places in them.

A third hummingbird on the feeder. The first one was a female, and she was here for three weeks. Second one last night was a male. The males are a lot more vocal. This third one today is either female or a young'un: there's a little pink spot on the throat but nothing like a full gorget.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I made the mistake of pricing new computers this morning, and caught a sale. It's a Ryzen 7 1700 with an RX580 graphics card. The system's easily displaying at 4K, and offered either 7.1 or Atmos for the speaker setup for the audio.

I transcoded an album from FLAC to MP3 in about 15 seconds. It's currently chewing on some video transcoding, but it's happily outperforming my old Core i5 by a factor of about 3x to 4x.

On a lark, I decided to move my 56" 4k Television over to my desk and try it out as a monitor. Fallout 4 has never looked so glorious. I have not noticed any real screen lag. I was worried that the response time would cause tearing or such. The only difference, mechanics wise, is that my video card runs about 7-10 degrees warmer than it used to. It is still far below the manufacturers warning though.

Just as an example, I'm uploading a photo of my latest character.  Scratch that. The forum keeps resizing it down which sort of defeats the purpose. Here is a link to the screenshot posted on my One Drive: https://1drv.ms/i/s!ArYRi_6-m_1vxGQ3z9rxjFo01RDo

On a lark, I decided to move my 56" 4k Television over to my desk and try it out as a monitor. Fallout 4 has never looked so glorious. I have not noticed any real screen lag. I was worried that the response time would cause tearing or such. The only difference, mechanics wise, is that my video card runs about 7-10 degrees warmer than it used to. It is still far below the manufacturers warning though.

Just as an example, I'm uploading a photo of my latest character.  Scratch that. The forum keeps resizing it down which sort of defeats the purpose. Here is a link to the screenshot posted on my One Drive: https://1drv.ms/i/s!ArYRi_6-m_1vxGQ3z9rxjFo01RDo

My old computers couldn't manage more than 1080p resolution to the 4K TV, but the new computer's video card is very happy to output 4K. I've tested it with Skyrim with everything set to high, and was seeing detail that I had never noticed before. Audio-wise, my receiver's 7.1/Atmos, while the old computer speakers are 5.1. Playing with the audio settings on the new computer yesterday, Windows took me to a free Dolby Atmos plugin in their store that upconverts to 7.1/Atmos (kind of similar to the DTS Neo: 6 or Dolby Digital processing, from what I can tell).

I have a few games that don't scale well, so it's hard to read text onscreen. Civ V will display at full resolution, but I can't really read the text comfortably from my chair. The workaround that seems to be on various forums is either to set the game to a lower resolution, or (for the brave), hand editing some configuration files to modify the fixed font sizes. I tried the former, and it's playing well at just slightly above 1080p. Civ VI will play fine at maximum resolution, but I'm still not sure I like the game mechanics.

Christopher Froome has won La Vuelta the Spanish Grand Tour cycle race. He is the first Briton to ever win the race. He becomes the first person to win the Tour de France and La Vuelta in the same year since it was moved to late Summer from early Spring in 1995. And two other riders both French are the only others to have won La Vuelta in the same year as they won the Tour de France. So it is some achievement.

Alberto Contador who has won all three Grand Tours at least twice retired at the end of La Vuelta. He restored Spanish pride with a win on Stage 20 (yesterday) as no Spanish rider had won a stage in this year's race until then. The last time that had happened was 1996. Contador was allowed to lead the peleton into Madrid for the last part of the race. He set off on a lap of honour to the adoration of the crowds. He has had the support of the crowd ever since the start of the race and the fact he had announced that he was retiring after this race. 

• 1 month later...

Now reached 150 likes without looking at the button.

Have now got to level 850 in Diamonddigger, 830 plus in Farm Heroes and over 600 in Candy Crush.

Received last night a piece of art. Have not made a commission in 2 years and this one was one of the last outstanding ones. It was a nice surprise to see it. It's not up on Deviantart yet but it will be.

• 3 weeks later...

My Amazon order was supposed to arrive today, but ended up arriving yesterday around noon. It took me a little bit of fiddling to get everything installed, but now the new Ryzen 7 tower has a Blu-Ray writer in the full size drive bay, and a WD Black NVMe 512GB SSD card in the M.2 slot.

The OS has been cloned onto the SSD, and it's awesomely fast. Booting is much faster than my old i5 with a SATA III SSD, and most applications load in a fraction of a second.