The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

I stopped by the Zia Records on the west side of town today, and found Babylon 5 Crusade in their discount bin for $7 used, and then half off from points. I then found the new Marillion Clutching at Straws 4 CD/1 Blu-ray set, which made it to the car before I ripped the plastic off to listen to the remastered album.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

A friend of my mother was getting rid of some DVDs. I got first crack at them and got 30 plus films that i did not have already. These included ones I had seen like the Negotiator and 28 Days Later and ones I had not seen though knew about like Jet Li's Fist of Legend. Then got a second batch which was TV series so I have seasons 1-3 of Peaky Blinders and half of seasons 1 through 6 of CSI, season 1 of the Following and season 1 of the Americans.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Apparently, credit card scammers aren't Star Trek fans. When I asked the supervisor to give me the security response to the passphrase, "Queen to queen's level three", he got flustered and kept on repeating that he needed my expiration date to look up my account. I got the supervisor after requesting that they give me my last name. This time, the agent got flustered, and couldn't find it with the number lookup and claimed that their systems were down (awww!). Yesterday, the agent claimed that my last name was Sprint, apparently because that was the only information they could glean from the work cell phone's number (which was the wrong carrier, by the way). 9 minutes each call, my high score's still 18 minutes.

26 minutes ago, Ternaugh said:

When I asked the supervisor to give me the security response to the passphrase, "Queen to queen's level three", he got flustered

Apparently they're bad at Google-foo since that can be searched and answered almost immediately.  I'm a Trek fan, but couldn't recall the answer myself.  :)

15 minutes ago, ScottishFox said:

Apparently they're bad at Google-foo since that can be searched and answered almost immediately.  I'm a Trek fan, but couldn't recall the answer myself.  :)

I think that they were flustered that someone turned the tables on them and was asking for information from them. I've confused them by asking for my zip code in the past. They gave me the first two digits, and claimed that they couldn't give me the next three for security reasons. I told them that there's probably 75,000 people in my zip code*, and that I wasn't asking for them to be specific with the zip+4, which would link to my address. After all, I told them, it's just five numbers that I was asking for, not sixteen....

*Google search indicates there's a bit over 60,000 residents in my zip code.

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter finally landed a job in her chosen profession, teaching. That'll be a large step up in income for her and an ending to more than a year of being close to a nervous breakdown from worry (over whether she'll ever find a job) for me.

Not that it hasn't created a whole new pile of things for me to worry about since I'll be helping her move into her classroom and such. But at least it'll be productive worrying over the logistics of the move rather than a helpless form of worrying.

< does happy dance >

< well, a very slow happy shuffle...but the thought is there >

15 hours ago, Old Man said:

Three point five weeks into the new job and I still haven't screwed up.  Coworkers have been so helpful and understanding that it arouses suspicion.

Meanwhile, my last job has predictably gone full dumpster fire since I left.  It's amazing how destructive one toxic person can be.

I had a former co-worker who left the 7th layer of hell we worked on to go to a nice job.  She called it Candyland it was so stupidly pleasant and easy and full of happy people.

I half disbelieved her until I got my new gig last year.

The percentage of people here that are friendly and helpful compared to not is really good.  The job is challenging in some ways, but with like 25% of the stress of the old job.

They'll have to remove me with a forklift.  I'm staying.

Wooo, great stuff.  I gave a telescope show Sunday evening for a Science & Religion class over in the School of Theology and Ministry, so I know pretty much exactly what you were looking at.  

What you see of Jupiter's moons changes rapidly (it's possible to note changes in as little as a couple of hours), of course.  And if you can hold the image of Saturn in your mind that long, over the course of a dozen years or so our view of the rings will become more edge-on and ultimately vanish for a while when Saturn is at the right point in its orbit.

Deep-sky objects are cool also, but the difficulty of getting the polar axis aligned and sidereal time and drive working on a portable telescope is tremendous, and ultimately you usually have to hunt for them with chart and finder scope.  In the core of downtown Seattle, only the brightest few can be successfully found in this way, unless you've had LOTS of practice.  M42, M31, the Pleiades, maybe h and chi Persei, maybe M13, are about all I can get reliably in this environment.  In darker skies you can do better, but it's been years since I got to work in such conditions.