The "Nice Happy" Thread

Hermit

Re: The "Nice Happy" Thread

My boss said to me, "Of all the people in the office, you're the only one that I can't live without."

Nice thing to say. That's in lieu of pay of course. Everything is "graded" and I'm a the top of my grade, so he's not empowered to give us raises.

Wow. Very nice!

Some people say you should have enough allowances so you don't get anything back, and only pay a little, because otherwise it's like giving the government an interest-free loan.

I say screw that! I'd rather get the refund, and have all kinds of money I didn't realize I had!

Yeah, Josh and I got back a decent refund.

This was the first full year of home ownership. In the past 5-6 years I don't think I've paid more than $500 one year, and I usually get back $800-1000. My tax prepper says I'm about right in terms of withholding. However, I'll be adjusting my withholding to accomodate the shift in taxable income cuz of the interest paid on the mortgage. It was a nice and unexpected bonus to get back several grand.

Wow. Very nice!

Some people say you should have enough allowances so you don't get anything back, and only pay a little, because otherwise it's like giving the government an interest-free loan.

I say screw that! I'd rather get the refund, and have all kinds of money I didn't realize I had!

Yeah, Josh and I got back a decent refund.

They say that because you're giving the gov't a no interest loan.

Also, depending on investments (if any) the money is not "working for you" through the year if the gov't is holding a big chunk to give as a refund. Even if you have no invesments a reasonable budget could make better use of the money through the year.

that said a big fat check in the front end of the year to blow on a whole bunch of stuff is happy fun. Like my $200 of Hero Books! booya.

As I referred to back in post 43 in this thread, I had an idea for something hopelessly romantic for yesterday. Didn't quite work out fully, but still did OK.

Fifteen years ago, during the winter months, my wife & I got together. Her birthday is Oct 1, and has a standard joke about April 1 being her "half birthday", and made suggestions that it be appropriately observed, expecting some sort of joke. At the time, there was a remarkably inexpensive jeweler right off campus, and I was able to pick up a pair of sapphire earrings for about $30 ... they are the blackest, muddiest, least transparent sapphires you ever saw (well, the others in the case near them were about the same ... there's a reason they were that cheap). And I gave those to her on April 1. I don't think I've ever seen her so completely caught off guard since.

Anyway, having a long memory, I recalled that yesterday was that April 1 plus 15 years. So the last week I've been looking for another set of sapphires (without success, but my time has been constrained), and yesterday I took the kids out with me as I got candy (from the outfit I used to get it for her, but the old outlet of theirs closed years ago, so the only one now is their home plant, 45 minutes away), and an art glass necklace.

Wasn't quite the same flat-aback surprise expression, but things worked out well anyway.

We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!

We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!We passed our audit!

congRATs

I heard you had an audit. How'd it go? :straight: