WWYCD: Demon: Man of the Year

SatinKitty

During the heat of a confrontation with a misguided man who wants power, you decide to run through his room shattering several of the giant urns he has, only to release trapped powerful Demons and other nasties he'd succeded in trapping.

Then a lot of unusual mail begins to arrive at your team headquarters for you.

One is a letter on very expensive business stationery inviting you to speak at the next Fundraiser of an outfit that calls itself "The Yellow Owl Society".

Next is a small package containing a set of risque' panties, a picture of a cute young girl and a letter that praises you in the highest possible terms. It ends "p.s. - Could you use a Slave ?"

Next is a letter from an earnest man who insists that if you want to make it in the Shady Occult Industry, you need him in.

The lastest DEMON newsletter has your picture on the cover as Man of the Year.

There is more, and more arrives the next day too.

WWYCD ?

Re: WWYCD: Demon: Man of the Year

During the heat of a confrontation with a misguided man who wants power' date=' you decide to run through his room shattering several of the giant urns he has, only to release trapped powerful Demons and other nasties he'd succeded in trapping. [/quote']

That sounds exactly like something Blur!! would do. ;)

Blur!!: She'd ignore it for the first week or so, hoping it would go away. When it didn't, she'd go to Myrmidon. "Myrmidon... Um.. You see there was this evil guy and he had a room and it was full of evil jars and I broke the evil jars and then I defeated the evil man with the evil jars and now I'm getting all this mail and I don't know what to do about it and I think the mail is evil too and I think it has to do with the evil man with his evil jars that I broke and defeated and the mail is really weird and I think it's evil oh yeah I just said that well anyway the mail is evil and I thought about changing my address except I live here and I think you need to do something about it please?"

Myrmidon: He'd go to one of his mystic contacts and ask for their advice. He's got no understanding of magic (and, as a man of science, doesn't actually believe that magic really exists -- despite all the evidence he's seen). ;)

Chevelier: She loves getting fan mail! She wouldn't think twice about it. She'd have her agent send all her "fans" an autographed glossy photo.

Uncle Slam would already have been setting about recapturing the demons who were freed. He has no use for slaves, being an icon of freedom. He would however apologize to his superiors and offer that if they felt there was a problem he would resign and they could appoint someone else, but that he'd rather he were allowed to work to fix the problem.

Anthem has no use for young girls, being one herself, who does not swing that way; Not that there's anything wrong with that! She would also move so that fewer people from DEMON knew where she lived. She'd seek out an expert in the field of demonology if she could find one and enlist their aid in recapturing the demons.

Audra Blue wouldn't have to ask anyone for help. Eldritch, the campaign's time mage/demon-fighter/resident bastard would show up the moment she thought about how useful he might be. She'd actually relent and try to enlist him in fixing the problem. Normally she wouldn't, but following the events where she helped the heroes break someone out of the super-prison, she'd feel it necessary to correct the wave of bad publicity. And she'd read all the mail with idol curiosity and also to glean any information about evil activities around the world. (Note: anything Eldritch does comes with strings; So she'd end up beholden to him in some regard.)

During the heat of a confrontation with a misguided man who wants power, you decide to run through his room shattering several of the giant urns he has, only to release trapped powerful Demons and other nasties he'd succeded in trapping.

One is a letter on very expensive business stationery inviting you to speak at the next Fundraiser of an outfit that calls itself "The Yellow Owl Society".

Next is a small package containing a set of risque' panties, a picture of a cute young girl and a letter that praises you in the highest possible terms. It ends "p.s. - Could you use a Slave ?"

Next is a letter from an earnest man who insists that if you want to make it in the Shady Occult Industry, you need him in.

WWYCD ?

Astro-Knight: Would do his best to knock out the demons as they broke out. Assuming that failed and they got away, and then this stuff happened, well? He'd zip around clueless for a time because the occult is not his forte. However, eventually it would occur to him that that 'earnest man' might have more info on how to find these demons, and DEMON as well. Sounds like he has a contact, albeit not one he'd normally pick for himself.

Gaze:: Wonder why on earth he did such a bone headed stunt in the first place, unlike Astro-Knight, he's not gung ho. He'd also try to capture the demons, only to realize his mind can't affect them (alien class of minds). As yet, he doesn't speak at charity events, at least not in his heroic id. as Jack B. Charming, Stage hypnotist, he might get a 'gig', but that's another angle entirely. The mail would irritate him no end, and he also would be likely to use that man as a source of info, but he might not be as gentle about it. He would also seek out "duke" aka Marduk, god of cities.

Max Thunder: Utterly horrorfied by the danger to the people he had caused, Max would now make DEMON his number one priority and break all their operations he could. He wouldn't let up, and would drill them for information on how to recapture or destroy the demons.

Recluse: All ready to break the urns, suddenly his Danger Sense for mystical threats and dangers kicks in and he is aware how much this would disrupt the web. So he doesn't :)

It's much more likely that Special Agent Trent would have broken the urns accidentally, through PK bleedover, excessive knockback, or by missing/spreading, or by picking them up and bashing the "misguided man".

Trent glances over the letter, then wads it up and tosses it in the trash. He then writes himself a note to research "The Yellow Owl Society".

This depends on a few factors. First, if the letter doesn't appear to be written by the girl in the picture, this is suggestive of human trafficking, which is something that needs to be investigated and stomped out. This would be right up Trent's alley as a relatively normal crime.

If the letter is from the girl in the picture, and she's underage, Trent will contact her parents/guardian, if possible, and explain the situation to them, reccomending that their daughter get professional help.

If the girl is of age, and offering herself, one of two things could happen. The most likely is that Trent would be puzzled and uncomfortable, and eventually just get rid of the letter and panties and wash his hands of the matter.

On the other hand, if the super team that he's been assigned to shepherd has been irritating recently (quite likely), he might write back:

Ma'am:

I have no need for a slave at this time. However, as hard as this may be to believe, you actually seem considerably more sane and well-adjusted than many of the people I find myself forced to work with. If you have any experience with or aptitude for secretarial or administrative work, we may be able to find an opening for you. The position would involve some degree of danger, and wouldn't pay much, but would be an interesting and unique employment experience.

Thank you for your time,

Special Agent Michael Trent, FBI

After he mailed the letter, he'd realize that this could be an attempt to place a mole or agent inside the team, and have a full background check run on the girl.

WWYCD ?

Trent stares at the pile of mail, holding his head as if it hurts.

"This has got to be connected to those demons I accidentally released. Can't anything normal happen around here?"

Trent puts out some feelers with mystical orginazations like the Trismagestus Council and L'Institut Thoth, then grits his teeth and calls a meeting of the team.

First priority is tracking down and re-capturing the demons. He'll see to it that the man who captured them in the first place is questioned by someone who knows what to ask.

WWYCD ?

Queen of Spades: 'Calling Dr. Ka, calling Dr. Ka. Mystical intervention on line 3." Dr. Ka is a Viborian mystic himself. Who else better than to call your local theurge? :D (I'll need to look over his sheet on his power level, but for sufficent purposes he's suitable for help here.)

Other than that... she doesn't have any real experience in major mysic power, and breaking those urns along with trashing the rest of the room did seem like a good idea. Once she figures out what was in those, she'd knock Mr. Happy Mage down a notch without lasting harm and turn him over to Ka with as much detail as she could muster about her situation.

Once the letters turn up (and how did they find her address, for that matter? It better not be addressed to Alenia Walthiel, her Secret ID,) she'll dissmiss them, knowing that she has better things to do with her time. Although she'd be hard-pressed to turn down the slave-girl offer... but where would she put her, and how could she keep her around without compromising the Secret ID? Personal assistant/cameragirl? Defintly requires background check and perhaps some other intervention, if she's coherced/submitted against her will...

Soulbarb would likely have known better than to smash the urns deliberately, though as with some others, accidents due to KB, throwing the bad guy around, AoE attacks, and so forth could happen. She would also try to avoid allowing any such escaped spirits/demons escape, and she does have some abilities that could help in that regard.

If they managed to escape anyway, she'd consider herself responsible for potentially putting civilians in harm's way, and would spare no effort to track down any malignant spirits/demons and banish them back where they belong. She'd consider this a disaster of the first order, and be quite self-incriminating about it. She'd probably start acting even more driven than usual, to the point where her boyfriend, her coterie, and even her mother, might start getting worried about her (though all for different reasons, since they have varying levels of involvement with her heroic side.)

If she started actually getting mail of the sort described above, she might actually crack under the tension. She tries very hard to conceal the fact that Soulbarb even exists, and if she starts getting mail at home pertaining to stuff she did while out as Soulbarb, not just from one place but from several, she'd completely flip out. She'd also start getting very suspicious that someone has sold her out, which would not be pleasant at all for anyone concerned. There is exactly one person who knows that she is Soulbarb that she's aware of, and it's her boyfriend. There is also one other person who might be able to guess, and that's her favourite teacher at school. Either way, it's not going to be pretty.

Badger- has a strong hatred of demons (he had a Catholic upbringing dont you know), so he likely would only have broken by accident. Once they got released, that would be his #1 priority to eliminate them with extreme prejudice. As far as the letters, well he doesnt care enough to read them likely. He would probably only see the DEMON newsletter. Which would only bring DEMON notice. And unless DEMON's new plan involves him making their lives a never-ending nightmare by hunting them......

Starguard -- would already have known, via her mystic awareness, that you Really, Really Do Not Want To Break Those Urns.

Of course, accidents happen. Assuming that dem urns got broken, and that she wasn't able to stuff the demons back in the jars before they left (and given that she's an embodied archangel, the demons would be leaving the scene quickly), she wouldn't wait around to find out that something was wrong... the mere fact that demons are loose means she *knows* something is wrong, so she'd already be hunting them down.

First letter -- send back her usual polite 'Sorry, can't attend' letter.

Second letter -- "Do I need a WHAT?!? Oh God, some people are just sick!"

Third letter -- "Horus? Umm, I think I'm in trouble again..."

... granted, given Starguard's reputation in the Mystic World and the nether realms ("OK, so half of her is the most innocent teenager alive, and the other half is the Spectre?"), it's vanishingly unlikely that DEMON would be sending her fan mail at all. :)

Dr. Pain -- ok, he'd break the urns. :)

First letter -- send it to his agent, to be roundfiled along with all the other invitations.

Second letter -- "OK, I actually /have/ gotten weirder offers than that... a couple of times..." Send back a response on the order of 'You're cute, but the dom/sub thing just isn't my scene.'

Third letter -- "Aw, hell. What was in those jars again?!?" *picks up phone, calls Homestead* "Bethany? It's Leon. Yeah, my life is looking like a bad Buffy rerun again..."

Baron von Darien:

Doesn't have mystic/cosmic awareness like Starguard, but has more than enough demon-fighting experience to know that breaking containment jars in an evil sorcerer's sanctum usually doesn't lead to puppies and kittens. But, as ever, accidents happen. And given his mission in unlife, he'd already be hunting the released demons down with a will, before any of the letters arrived.

First Letter -- with his encyclopedic knowledge of the Mystic World, he knows exactly whoever the Yellow Owl Society are. Rolls his eyes and throws it in the trash. "I know that they justifiably feel compelled to gloat at my recent error, but do they have to be so childish about it?"

Second Letter -- "Ah, and now they have left childhood behind for adolescence. A particularly licentious, deviant, and mentally ill adolescence."

Third Letter -- "Now that's just plain uncivilized."

During the heat of a confrontation with a misguided man who wants power' date=' you decide to run through his room shattering several of the giant urns he has, only to release trapped powerful Demons and other nasties he'd succeded in trapping.[/quote']

Oh god, I could so see this happening. Penumbra has "amusingly poor luck" when it comes to the Supernatural. Since hs powers come from the Supernatural....

No idea who they are, but he'd be curious. He'd ask among his acquaintances, Google them, maybe check on any HERONet.com-like sites to see if they come up with anything. Knowing his luck with such things, he'd probably think they were some sort of benevolent fraternal order, like the Lions or the Masons.

This would seriously mess with Penumbra, since he is a rather ardent lecher/gentleman. He'd really want to, but would think it was horribly wrong, and end up either waffling about it for too long or accept her proposal with the intention of helping her. Since he has the PsychLim: "Sucker where attractive women/cute kids are concerned: comon, strong", he'd :celebrate: surprise :celebrate: get screwed again. Poor guy; he'd do himself a world of good if he could be a stand-up super and maybe join a team full-time, but he thiins he's not "good" enough for that sort of thing.

Rolls his eyes. "Yeah, pal, you and half the Western seaboard. Geez." Penumbra's aura comes off as a weak version of the Crowns, so he's, well, not exactly used to it, but he's come to a stoic resignation about Underworld sleaze trying to ride his spaded tail (no, not really) to power.

This, more than anything, would be the proverbial straw. He knows he's not a good man, but he tries, and this kind of "proof" that he'd done something truly, abysally bad would hurt him more than anything.

WWYCD ?

Start freaking out big-time? Pen's not really knowledgable about the Mystic World (8- roll), and he doesn't have any serious Power-using contacts - he knows some academics, but that's all - and with his Unluck in all things Supernatural.... Well, he'd be, like I said, freaking out big-time.

Poor Pen.

Guest HeroPink!

WWYCD ?

Glarg: He's stupid, he's illiterate, he doesn't even "get" the idea of mail. It all goes over his head.

Thena: If the letter from the cute girl looks like she wrote it, go for it. "More chance for intimacy with these so-peculiar humans." If it looks like it was written by someone else, go ballistic. Get help tracking down the demons, and try aporting them someplace "hellish."

Lana van Hoom: "Why did the other do such a thing? Man, I hope the next other has powers that are any use." Then get her liason to track down the freaks that sent her letters. Not worry about the newletter pic; she's got Public ID anyway. (I hope it read Woman or Person, not Man, BTW, ;))

Panweesio: Sorry, none of this scenario is possible with Panweesio, who doesn't do physical violence, and cannot be found, and who has no fixed abode.

During the heat of a confrontation with a misguided man who wants power' date=' you decide to run through his room shattering several of the giant urns he has, only to release trapped powerful Demons and other nasties he'd succeded in trapping. [/quote']

Very nice WWYCD! I'm going to steal this one. Rep!

stalker would be a bit freaked out. I could easily see him breaking the urns if he thought it would harm/weaken the foe.

The first letter would probably involve him contacting Dr. Zen. Though if he is still on speaking terms with the Wizard He'd call him.

The second letter would risk pissing off his "girlfriend" Though If it occured to him that it might not be a young lady actually volunteering, but being volunteered... Well, very rapidly "Sucks to be a slaver." would be a common comment in the underworld.

beyond that... He would start calling ALL his contacts, then going hunting.

John Hawkshaw III? Hmm, Guns, explosives, martial arts? YEAH, the urns got smashed.

Then he would get his grandfather's Cold iron great pickaxe that was used in stomping out a demonic incursion... And go hunting.

The letters would have him contacting every contact he could think of, or anybody he could HIRE could think of.

A major goof like this would require the combined efforts of Team F up to accomplish. After the mail started to arrive, Dr Benedict would call everyone to the brownstone for a meeting.

Benedict: “Thanks to our trashing the lair of the Infernal Doctor Bob, we have received some disturbing mail. First, an invitation to speak at the Yellow Owl Society.”

Lillith: “Sounds boring, count me out.”

Palmer “Is there an open bar?”

Benedict: “No! You’re missing the point! The Yellow Owl Society is comprised of some of the darkest mages on this plane. They seek nothing less then to destroy all that is good on our earth!”

Lillith: “OK, so we skip that party. What else have you got there?”

Benedict: “Some poor deluded girl has sent us, er, this package.”

Lillith: “Oh, these will never fit me. And who’s idea is it to sew pearls on the inside of them? That’s just dumb.”

Palmer whispers in Lillith’s ear.

Lillith: “OH! Well, um, here! They’re your size, Palmer.”

Benedict: “Can we pay attention here? We have attracted the attention of a Mr. Johnny Murder. He insists we require his services to succeed in the “Shady Occult Industry”. I am very concerned.”

Lillith: “Oh, Angus and I get that kinda junk mail all the time.”

Benedict: “No you don’t! This isn’t some dodgy sweepstakes solicitation, Mr. Murder is a dealer in demonic charms and influence! Don’t you people understand what’s going on?”

Lillith: “Don’t know, don’t care.”

Benedict: “Look at this! We are on the cover of Demon Monthly! The entire occult underground thinks we are villians! Thanks to you two smashing up Infernal Bob’s soul jars, we’ve unleashed a score of demons on an unsuspecting city!”

Lillith: “Hey! You smashed the first one!”

Benedict: “By accident! Then you and Palmer started throwing them at Bob while ignoring my warnings! Hey, where is Palmer?”

Lillith: “She’s on the phone.”

Palmer (into telephone): “Of course I liked them. So, when you say “slave”, does that mean…”

Benedict: “GET OFF THE PHONE! Honestly, you two are killing me! We need to see the Finn and try to track down the escaped demons, then perhaps disrupt the Yellow Owls. And this young lady obviously needs some psychiatric assistance.”

Palmer: “She told me all she needed was a spank….”

Benedict: “THANK YOU PALMER! That will be all for today!”

A major goof like this would require the combined efforts of Team F up to accomplish. After the mail started to arrive, Dr Benedict would call everyone to the brownstone for a meeting.

Benedict: “Thanks to our trashing the lair of the Infernal Doctor Bob, we have received some disturbing mail. First, an invitation to speak at the Yellow Owl Society.â€

Lillith: “Sounds boring, count me out.â€

Palmer “Is there an open bar?â€

Benedict: “No! You’re missing the point! The Yellow Owl Society is comprised of some of the darkest mages on this plane. They seek nothing less then to destroy all that is good on our earth!â€

Lillith: “OK, so we skip that party. What else have you got there?â€

Benedict: “Some poor deluded girl has sent us, er, this package.â€

Lillith: “Oh, these will never fit me. And who’s idea is it to sew pearls on the inside of them? That’s just dumb.â€

Palmer whispers in Lillith’s ear.

Lillith: “OH! Well, um, here! They’re your size, Palmer.â€

Benedict: “Can we pay attention here? We have attracted the attention of a Mr. Johnny Murder. He insists we require his services to succeed in the “Shady Occult Industryâ€. I am very concerned.â€

Lillith: “Oh, Angus and I get that kinda junk mail all the time.â€

Benedict: “No you don’t! This isn’t some dodgy sweepstakes solicitation, Mr. Murder is a dealer in demonic charms and influence! Don’t you people understand what’s going on?â€

Lillith: “Don’t know, don’t care.â€

Benedict: “Look at this! We are on the cover of Demon Monthly! The entire occult underground thinks we are villians! Thanks to you two smashing up Infernal Bob’s soul jars, we’ve unleashed a score of demons on an unsuspecting city!â€

Lillith: “Hey! You smashed the first one!â€

Benedict: “By accident! Then you and Palmer started throwing them at Bob while ignoring my warnings! Hey, where is Palmer?â€

Lillith: “She’s on the phone.â€

Palmer (into telephone): “Of course I liked them. So, when you say “slaveâ€, does that mean…â€

Benedict: “GET OFF THE PHONE! Honestly, you two are killing me! We need to see the Finn and try to track down the escaped demons, then perhaps disrupt the Yellow Owls. And this young lady obviously needs some psychiatric assistance.â€

Palmer: “She told me all she needed was a spank….â€

Benedict: “THANK YOU PALMER! That will be all for today!â€

Penumbra looks plaintive and hopeful. "Can I please, please, please join your team? Oh sweet merciless godlets please!?!?" These people sound infinitely more reasonable than the folks who get all weirded out by someone casually mentioning that a three-day solar eclipse wouldn't do any permanent damage. Or that, if planned for and carefully staged, a controlled release of magma from, say, Oahu to create a floating island of obsidian (pumice on bottom) would be to everyone's benefit; well okay, mine mostly, but still....