Infinite Crisis

Balabanto

I know SOMEONE will be posting about this disaster in the next few days, so I figured I would just start the ball rolling now.

This is just more proof that Geoff Johns needs an enema. I am not sure I'll be able to READ comics anymore after what he's doing.

I have only this to say. If Geoff Johns was YOUR Champions GM, would you put up with this BS?

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Infinite Crisis

Perhaps you can elaborate on what you find so objectionable.

Short version -- everything that's been wrong with DC comics since 'Identity Crisis', on steroids, squared and cubed, all jammed into one cover.

Longer version -- everything sucks, all heroes are either mega-dysfunctional asses or getting gratuitously whacked, prior continuity is ignored at will, it insults the reader's intelligence, and the story is the least new-reader-friendly imaginable, as it assumes you've been buying about $300 worth of lead-in "Countdown To Infinite Crisis" comics (all the limited series plus Identity Crisis and etc.) /and/ have a good familiarity with DC history all the way back to the original Crisis on Infinite Earths, as key players in the plot are characters who literally haven't been seen since then!

One-sentence pithy version -- when Warren Ellis thinks that your storyline is too bleak then you don't just got problems, you got catastrophes.

Oh, and to answer the original question, IMO any DM who tries pulling anything like 'Infinite Crisis' has just committed a flip-the-table offense, and should be duct-taped to the ceiling fan and left for the cat.

I'm with you. It's good to see DC cleaning house a little. I'm interested in seeing what the DCU will be like after the 1 year jump. :)

I agree since Johns and Waid have publicly stated that they are cleaning house to get rid of all the angst the DCU is currently wallowing in. They said they want to tell different kinds of stories next year after IC is over.

That said I only recently got back into comics this year and I really don't think the current "DCs slide towards the dark" is that bad. Sure I picked up three superman comics that told the same story, but the idea was to show that Superman was being manipulated.*

I am going to enjoy my two or three comics per month over the year. I am not a line collector so I am not worried about missing events in comics I don't read.

*and I got Ruin, Darkseid and Brainiac BONUS!

Hawksmoor

Actually, I liked it. Yeah I thought i was a littel dark, and very bloody for your average four color DC comic, but I think that was the point. After reading the narration, and the comments of the returning charactes, I think I finally see where they are going (or at least I hope they are going).

After all this crap they've been churning out for the last couple of years. I think they have finally gotten the hint that doom and gloom is not alwayst he way to go. I just hoping that they don't turn around and screw this up (remember Armageddon 2000?), or decide to toss all of this out the window in a couple of years (say the events of Underworld Unleashed or Giffen JLI/JLE run).

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

- You've been warned

Okay, last warning -

MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD

The freedom fighters are killed by the Secret Society of Super Villains, with the exception of Damage, and possibly Uncle Sam.

Supes, Bats and WW are at each others throats in the now destroyed JL Watch Tower. Mongol shows up, and WW tries to kill him but Supes stops her.

Troia is gathering heroes for a battle in space.

Specture apperently kills the wizard Shazam, and destroys the Rock of Eternity. Capt. Marvel rembers his secret.

And to cap it all off, the Original Superman, Kal-L returns along with the Earth-2 Lois Lane, Earth 3 Alexander Luthor, and the Earht Prime Superboy to try and save the day.

Firmly in the camp of people enjoying the title.:)

And c'mon...what old-school reader didn't get a kick out of the last page revelation?

As am I, which is why I asked for clarification so I could counter his points as a way to encourage readers of this thread that perhaps the miniseries wasn't the "disaster" he was painting it to be.

And as a big fan of the original Earth-2 (not the current anti-matter universe Earth-2 with the new Crime Syndicate) and the original Crisis on Infinite Earths (although not necessarily of the effects it had on my favorite earth), I absolutely loved the final page.

Although they are largely well-written, most of the Infinite Crisis storylines had a lame, half-baked premise.

****SPOILERS BELOW****

- Identity Crisis: The whole mindwipe thing was dumb and had nothing to do with the murder.

- OMAC Project: Batman loses control of his super-advanced spy satellites. This is the 3rd time in three years that Batman's "fail-safe" plan has fallen into the wrong hands (JLA's Tower Of Babylon arc and the War Games storyline). The story is further flawed in that one of the KEY plot elements happens in another comic outside of the miniseries.

- Spirit Of Vengeance: Boring and there've been a few too many "Spectre out of control" storylines.

- Infinite Crisis: Tied too heavily into the other minis and waaay too dependant on continuity and minutiae (and I'm a fan of that stuff) and there's no way it could possibly attract new readers. I don't think somebody new to DCU through Batman Begins or the JLU cartoon are going to know what to make of Batman's mindwipe and killer satellites or the golden-age, Earth 2 Superman.

- Villains United : this one's actually pretty good. Lots of villains and pretty much a self-contained story.

- Rann-Thanagar War: Not as good as VU, but pretty good. Has Hawkman, Hawkwoman, Adam Strange, Captain Comet, et al. Only real complaint is that anytime Adam Strange is used in a story, he should at least once, solve a problem through some obscure scientific trivia like he did in the original Gardner Fox stories.

It seems to me that they are catering to the person that has been invested in the DCU and knows all that history.

What they're really trying to do is clean up 20 years of continuity mess since Crisis. A lot of editors in the past let their writers do whatever they wanted and now no one really knows what's going on. All the current conjoined limited series will hopefully clean this up, and then DC will take a 1 year jump ahead and everyone will be, more or less, starting on an even plain.

Its kind of fatuous to talk about "clearing out the darkness' date='" when the darkness wasn't *there* before you frickin' started adding it in yourself.[/quote']

Well, of course, a certain amount of this darkness was added as part of the lead up to Infinite Crisis to make things bad enough for the four refugees from COIE to decide to do something about it, when they haven't gotten involved during any of the other events of the last 20 years.

Remember, it's always darkest before the dawn.

It seems to me that they are catering to the person that has been invested in the DCU and knows all that history.

Yeah. In many ways it's like the complete opposite of Marvel's Ultimate universe, which was intended to draw in new readers.

From what I understand, all the DC minis are big-sellers (who would've thought that a mini starring Adam Strange would be a big-seller ?), so I guess the strategy is working (at least for the short-term).