Infinite Crisis

Balabanto

Re: Infinite Crisis

The "Elseworld" concept was always one I liked... even though the majority were crap in the execution.

The top three (IMO) of all were the Tony Haris JSA: The Liberty Files, Superman: Red Son, and the one shot Elseworld's Finest: Supergirl & Batgirl (Matt Haley art).

Well written stories with some amazing art on self contained stories... these are some of the best comics out there.

I really liked Else World's Finest: Batgirl and Supergirl.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't hate Infinite Crisis, but I have to admit I enjoyed the build up (the mini series, etc) far more than the actual 7-issues of IC itself. Villains United rocked my socks off, OMAC Project was a cool read, etc, etc. I loved the sense of impending doom, the momentum that was called forward, the sudden (re)emergence of Dr Light as a Grade-A bad guy...

...and then they just crammed so much into seven teenie little issues that not much of it made sense. Most of what was going on was expanded upon in regular monthly titles, but I really think IC would've been better if they'd just had more elbow room. A few more panels here and there for fight scenes, a little more room for thought bubbles to show some character's motivations, that sort of thing. At one point I even had my wife (a new-to-comics comics fan) reading Infinite Crisis with that month's Teen Titans comic in her lap, too, flipping from page to page and panel to panel (both comics covered the Superboy Prime Kicks The Titan's Asses fight, the TT comic in quite a bit more detail).

It really just felt like there was a ton of build up...and then this mad rush to squeeze too much stuff into too little space. It wasn't awful, but it wasn't awesome, either.

I also know they made some huge changes between the mini itself and this collected hardcover version. Whole bubbles of text are different, and some of them are pretty important changes. I found that kind of disappointing -- why not do it RIGHT the first time? Because they were in too big of a hurry?

All in all, though, it could've been worse. It was just a shame how much better the stuff leading into it was, compared to the "event" itself.

One of the things I liked is that in the darkness before IC, DC editors had said things were going to get dark, but once the IC was over, superman wasn't going to be whiny, bats was going to be gruff but not over the edge and that overall most DC heroes would be bright and heroic again.

And they are.

I love most of the current DC characters, and the handling of the big three as been great, as others. Right now is a great time to be a DC fan. :)

Except Wonder Woman. Who's back to her super-spy persona while her former sidekick wears the mantle, and is stuck with a bi-monthly title.

Their handling of the big three in JLA has been awesome (and, with Arsenal being my favorite comic character, I'm happy to see him bumped into the big leagues) -- but as far as individual titles go, I think it still shows Wonder Woman's the redheaded stepchild of the trio. Supes has a half dozen titles, Batty and family are probably half DC's printing pulp every month...and Diana gets a half dozen issues a year.

I would like to see better Art on Wonder Woman and more exploration of her life outside of Superhero and Secret Agent Woman type stuff. I loved her being a diplomat and having responsibilities at the UN and public appearences to promote the Amazonian way of living.

Diana Prince - aka Princess Diana of Themyscira & Wonder Woman

Stick to JLA & JSA.

Donna Troy - aka Wonder Girl, Darkstar, & Troia.

Stick to Wonder Woman & Guest Appearances.

Cassandra "Cassie" Sandsmark aka Wonder Girl.

Stick to Titans.

Cheers

QM

Except Wonder Woman. Who's back to her super-spy persona while her former sidekick wears the mantle, and is stuck with a bi-monthly title.

Yeah - I've enjoyed what I have seen, I didn't know it was bi-montly, I've only read the first three issues a few weeks ago. I am completely withholding judgement until the first story arc is done.

Having Donna be WW I think is great - Flash has changed hands twice, and GL changed, and back - so there is a great history of passing the legacy to another generation (one of the things I really love about DC actually). So I have no problems with Donna. And Diana being in her old spy outfit was a cool homage. And as I really like the whole generational aspect of the DCU having Diana, Donna and Cassie all around is something I think is really nifty.

I loved her being a diplomat and having responsibilities at the UN and public appearences to promote the Amazonian way of living.

QM

A little bit of that is ok, but I read superhero comics to read superhero stuff, not political stuff. When the comic turned all political (and after her book came out, adn the resulting problems) that kept me from buying it. Put some in for characterization or color, but I wouldn't want that to be the focus of the book.

*shrug*

Different tastes and all.

A little bit of that is ok, but I read superhero comics to read superhero stuff, not political stuff. When the comic turned all political (and after her book came out, adn the resulting problems) that kept me from buying it. Put some in for characterization or color, but I wouldn't want that to be the focus of the book.

*shrug*

Different tastes and all.

Especially as the political stuff is generally written by folks with the political depth and sophistication of angry pseudo-intellectual college drop outs.

Yeah - I've enjoyed what I have seen' date=' I didn't know it was bi-montly, I've only read the first three issues a few weeks ago. I am completely withholding judgement until the first story arc is done.[/quote']

I don't think it was intended to be bimonthly. I think certain comics creators lack the reliability to be entructed with a monthly book. Both Marvel and DC have several books which seem unable to ever ship on a regular schedule.

I don't think it was intended to be bimonthly. I think certain comics creators lack the reliability to be entructed with a monthly book. Both Marvel and DC have several books which seem unable to ever ship on a regular schedule.

Tell me abou it - I'm a fan of The Ultimates. And All Star Superman.

*sigh*

At least Kurt Busiek had the decency to basically say "Look, due to whatever problems we have, we can't get this out on time, so we are going to do Astro City as miniseres, and we won't even publish the first one until almost all the scripts are in the can"

Especially as the political stuff is generally written by folks with the political depth and sophistication of angry pseudo-intellectual college drop outs.

Sadly true, and it ruined more than one story for me. Why is it that the people who most love to insert politics into their art are also usually the ones least fit to do so?

Sadly true' date=' and it ruined more than one story for me. Why is it that the people who most love to insert politics into their art are also usually the ones least fit to do so?[/quote']

Easy. They're the ones that are so angry because they're incapable of seeing the big picture.

• 6 months later...

Well, I just recently read the Infinite Crisis graphic novel, and while some of it was gruesome (Black Adam giving Psycho-Pirate a Three Stooges eye-gouge so hard he knocks his eyes out through the back of his skull), for the most part I like it. It was better than I thought.

And it does seem as though things are improving in the DC-verse.

Sheesh, these last few years have been the biggest DC binge for me since Death of Superman; odd that Connel's death should bring me back in, the same way his 'birth' did. I've bought Identity Crisis, the four series that lead up to Infinite, and several other DC graphic novels.

Now I just have to find the books that Busiek is writing for DC and I'll be happy.

Well, I just recently read the Infinite Crisis graphic novel, and while some of it was gruesome (Black Adam giving Psycho-Pirate a Three Stooges eye-gouge so hard he knocks his eyes out through the back of his skull), for the most part I like it. It was better than I thought.

And it does seem as though things are improving in the DC-verse.

Sheesh, these last few years have been the biggest DC binge for me since Death of Superman; odd that Connel's death should bring me back in, the same way his 'birth' did. I've bought Identity Crisis, the four series that lead up to Infinite, and several other DC graphic novels.

Now I just have to find the books that Busiek is writing for DC and I'll be happy.

Read 52.

No...he didn't write 52. But it's still good.

I should say -- I have seen the first collection.

The birth/creation of Isis, Black Adam rips Terra-Man in half at a press conference (and surely there must have been some fallout from that in the DC-verse media!), Ralph wigging out over his wife's 'resurrection', we find out Renee Montoya is hanging with the Question and her rich girlfriend is about to become the new Batwoman, and an all-too-brief teaser bit about Snake Fatale and her animal-men

...really, I think that's about it.