The New Blue Beetle

ShinDangaioh

Re: The New Blue Beetle

Just a guess, but the image invokes some kind of mystical thing (ala Spawn). The scarab does have magical roots so that will likely be involved with the new powers, etc. The rumor running around is that Booster Gold will take on the Beetle mantle to honor his fallen friend. If so, you'll have a merge of magic and technology. That might be kind of cool.

As Giffen told us late last month, Kord is dead...snuffed...finito...el dead-o.

And, of course, nobody EVER comes back from the dead in comic books ... :rolleyes:

Heck, didn't Ted have that scarab? There's no reason it *couldn't* be Ted, though obviously they're trying to make this character less comical than Ted.

Though the old Beetle's personality in that body and costume would actually be FUNNIER. It'd be like Batman throwing cream pies at villains instead of batarangs.

I just hope the new Blue Beetle is a true hero in personality, and not a 'grim vigilante' but with a bit of joy in his life as well.

I actually wish Ted could have picked his own successor. He would have made a great mentor.

"Rules for being a hero: Do your best. Remember to protect innocents, and don't expect gratitude from society or you'll be disapointed a lot. Guys you face will be more powerful than you, so use your head. NEVER loan Booster the keys...."

This book, like Marvel's Rawhide Kid relaunch, doesn't seem to know who its audience is.

The whole tone of the book seems to be to distance itself from the Kord Blue Beetle, which'll annoy silver age and JLI fans and the name itself is too corny

for anyone in their late teens or younger.

I need to go on record about this. I liked Ted. I liked The Blue Beetle. Of course not enough people seemed to like him enough when his series came out and no one bought it, although I did.

I first heard of Blue Beetle in the pages of Who's Who. I thought the idea of a legacy hero that could not inherit the powers of the one that came before him to be unbelievably cool. Ted made a promise to carry on for the first Blue Beetle (some guy with powers like Superman, I think, but could be wrong) but could not reach the scarab before it was buried in a cave in. He kept his word and became The Blue Beetle to carry on the legacy of his friend.

Ted Kord as The Blue Beetle is a legacy hero. He always has been. I might not like how we got here (DC seems hellbent on destroying my favorite JLA team with the death of Sue Dibney, Ted Kord and Maxwell Lord) but I am not going to bad mouth something sight unseen. I have my reservations about a comic taking place in El Paso mainly because I used to live there but I will give it a chance. If I do not like what is going on in the pages then I will talk about how bad it is and not before.

The idea of a Blue Beetle legacy does not strike me as weird. I might have said that it was but I read the superb (for the most part) Starman and I never liked Starman in any incarnation before that. This comic will not be like Starman but it might be good on it's own merits and that is worth giving it a shot.

And yes I like Warren Ellis too.:)

Paying homage to both blue beetles might be fun.

Lets see

Following the events of infinite crisis the destruction of the rock of eternity over Gotham. A fragment of the blue scarab that made Dan garret into the original blue beetle comes into the possession of a young technical genius (perhaps a Star labs or Wayne tech researcher working in there protective clothing division.)

Recognizing it (because he’s a huge cape watcher and frequency all the super websites) he tries the original blue beetles magic word and is imbued with a fraction of blue beetles legendary power limited flight, the ability to generate lightning bolts from his fingertips and increased strength and agility.

He believes it's his destiny to replace the murdered Ted Kord and constructs an augmentation suit that boosts the fragment powers combined with martial arts training and his keen analytical mind.

The new beetle seeks to restore the balance that the mystical world has lost as well as to temper the excess of science (perhaps his name is a doctor doom style techno magician).

Powers

The augmentation suit is of course armored and has an in built computer array it also features a set of collapsible wings that unfold and considerably increase the beetles air speed (he can still fly due to the scarab but only at around 30 mph)

The scarab also features electrical storage cells that can be charged up with the beetles lighting powers and then deliver a truly destructive blast from the flat plates his fingers tips (of course if he's not using the augmentation the low level power of the scarab makes for an excellent taser punch).

The beetle horns are detachable and are designed to be used for close combat both faces can be used the curved face for blunt strikes whilst the spiked side is used for praying and disarming.

Other powers include low level telescopic vision further increased by night vision and thermo graphic lenses in the mask.

There are also magnetic/suction grippers on the feet and gloves.

Paying homage to both blue beetles might be fun.

Lets see

Following the events of infinite crisis the destruction of the rock of eternity over Gotham. A fragment of the blue scarab that made Dan garret into the original blue beetle comes into the possession of a young technical genius (perhaps a Star labs or Wayne tech researcher working in there protective clothing division.)

Recognizing it (because he’s a huge cape watcher and frequency all the super websites) he tries the original blue beetles magic word and is imbued with a fraction of blue beetles legendary power limited flight, the ability to generate lightning bolts from his fingertips and increased strength and agility.

He believes it's his destiny to replace the murdered Ted Kord and constructs an augmentation suit that boosts the fragment powers combined with martial arts training and his keen analytical mind.

The new beetle seeks to restore the balance that the mystical world has lost as well as to temper the excess of science (perhaps his name is a doctor doom style techno magician).

Powers

The augmentation suit is of course armored and has an in built computer array it also features a set of collapsible wings that unfold and considerably increase the beetles air speed (he can still fly due to the scarab but only at around 30 mph)

The scarab also features electrical storage cells that can be charged up with the beetles lighting powers and then deliver a truly destructive blast from the flat plates his fingers tips (of course if he's not using the augmentation the low level power of the scarab makes for an excellent taser punch).

The beetle horns are detachable and are designed to be used for close combat both faces can be used the curved face for blunt strikes whilst the spiked side is used for praying and disarming.

Other powers include low level telescopic vision further increased by night vision and thermo graphic lenses in the mask.

There are also magnetic/suction grippers on the feet and gloves.

Sounds a lot like Marvel's Abner Jenkins Beetle.

well what do you know he is, which is odd because i only know Abner jenkins as mach I-IV in thunderbolts . I didn't know about the capabilities of his previous suit befopr ei looked it up in response to your post.

the lightning and flight as well as super strength are powers that the original dan garret blue beetle had the suction cups come from ted kord.

teh subtel diffrence between the two woudl be abner built teh suit to give him powers the new blue beetel built the suit to augment mystical powers he already had.