A Thread for Random Videos

Super Squirrel

Re: A Thread for Random Videos

This happens a lot more often than you might think' date=' at least based on how many different people have told me of similar incidents happening when they were in boot camp.[/quote']

I recall a gif of a British soldier managing to bounce his grenade off of a tree in front of him and back into the foxhole he was training from.

I recall a gif of a British soldier managing to bounce his grenade off of a tree in front of him and back into the foxhole he was training from.

As they say, there are no Atheists in Foxholes. And after that guy, there isn't anyone else, either.

La Rose.

This happens a lot more often than you might think' date=' at least based on how many different people have told me of similar incidents happening when they were in boot camp.[/quote']

If you already knew how to throw a grenade, they wouldn't have to teach you how to do it in Basic. And if you already know how to throw a hand grenade when you join up -- how on earth would you have learned something like that?

If you already knew how to throw a grenade' date=' they wouldn't have to teach you how to do it in Basic. And if you already know how to throw a hand grenade when you join up -- how on earth would you have learned something like that?[/quote']

Actually, in WWII the Army wanted the US grenade to be the size and shape of a baseball, as "every boy in American knows how to throw a baseball."

Actually' date=' in WWII the Army wanted the US grenade to be the size and shape of a baseball, as "every boy in American knows how to throw a baseball."[/quote']

Unfortunately, the first thing everyone seemed to do with a baseball sized object was toss it in the air to test it, which set off the trigger.

This one always sticks with me...

Based on the fact that he thought yanking the pin out with his teeth was a good idea, he was obviously trying to be Mr. Hollywood... like a lot of new recruits who have never been taught proper weapon safety and the difference between being cool and being alive.

Actually' date=' in WWII the Army wanted the US grenade to be the size and shape of a baseball, as "every boy in American knows how to throw a baseball."[/quote']

And sadly that doesn't seem to be true anymore these days.

I'm just glad the DI's reactions were so quick. This looks like the sort of accident that could happen easily on a range and can lead to a serious problem. I also hope the recruit who tossed the grenade was given the opportunity to get back up and try again. I seriously doubt this would happen twice to the same guy.

I read your comment befor I clicked on the link. I think I've been watching too many British mysteries; when I read "DI," I thought of Detective Inspector rather than Drill Instructor.

I do have a problem with a comment the poster made in the video stating "He only saved his life so he could yell at him later." When I was in ROTC, one of the instructors who is a drill sergeant in real life taught us that someone dying during training is the worst thing that can happen. He emphasised that NOBODY is supposed to die during training.

I read your comment befor I clicked on the link. I think I've been watching too many British mysteries; when I read "DI' date='" I thought of [i']Detective Inspector[/i] rather than Drill Instructor.

I do have a problem with a comment the poster made in the video stating "He only saved his life so he could yell at him later." When I was in ROTC, one of the instructors who is a drill sergeant in real life taught us that someone dying during training is the worst thing that can happen. He emphasised that NOBODY is supposed to die during training.

But he is going to yell at him later.

Carjacking' date=' extensive property damage, disturbing the peace, and several near hit-and-run incidents. He's one of the [i']good[/i] guys?!

Compared to his opponents, yes. But my understanding is that the original Bond (from the novels) was pretty sociopathic all round. Only the fact that he represented the British government made his actions even remotely acceptable.