[Interest in an online game?] Avengers: Generation 3

Snake Gandhi

Re: [interest in an online game?] Avengers: Generation 3

Oh, you know it's on now!

Yes, the day has finally arrived... The Bunny has officially restarted the Avengers: The Next Generation game. Players, make sure you join the fun. Lurkers, make sure you watch the fun.

Bill.

(And here's hoping I don't screw it up!) :angst:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Things are heating up at HeroCentral!

In the middle of a press conference announcing the rebirth of the Avengers, our heroes are ambushed by a blast from the past: The Lethal Legion!

Will these dastardly villains defeat our fresh young heroes, or will the New Avengers rise up against their powerful and ruthless foes and emerge victorious? Join us now for:

The Lethal Legion Strikes!

(All hyperbole aside, this is really turning out to be a sweet game. My players are the most awesomest players ever! Kolbrandr the Brave's speech about heroism brought a tear to my eye, and Banner's call to action was classic Avengers through-and-through). :king:

The Avengers game is rocking and rolling! I'm having a blast.

I owe thanks to my talented fellow players -- thank-you good people -- and to that rock 'n' roll rabbit, our Boss Bunny GM, keyes_bill...who saved the game and saved the day. Thank-you, Bill.

Aaah, you could have always redone him as a pure, straightforward brick complete with a brick tricks vpp. We don't have one of those.

Well, no you couldn't have, I really like the current team makeup and players :P

I'm just sayin though, there's options.

I'm beginning to wonder if I did a really poor design job on my character. Acting last every phase usually means never acting at all in HERO, especially in a campaign where the villains are throwing around attacks that will STUn with virtually eveyr hit even if you are truly massively protected.

I'm beginning to wonder if I did a really poor design job on my character. Acting last every phase usually means never acting at all in HERO' date=' especially in a campaign where the villains are throwing around attacks that will STUn with virtually eveyr hit even if you are truly massively protected.[/quote']

Buy "DEX, only for acting first" :)

Michael, I'm sorry you're having problems with Iron Girl's write-up; I really don't want to lose you or her from the game.

I think there's a Feat or Perk (or something similar) in Champions called "Lightning Reflexes". Robyn was right; DEX, only for acting first, is exactly what it is. It means that on every phase in which you act, you go FIRST - regardless of DEX. Ask Dr. Anomaly for the details; he might even have some other suggestions for how to bring Iron Girl "up to speed".

I'd try PMing him as well as posting to this thread; he can be a bit...inattentive.

Haven Walkur/Cinnabar

I'm beginning to wonder if I did a really poor design job on my character. Acting last every phase usually means never acting at all in HERO' date=' especially in a campaign where the villains are throwing around attacks that will STUn with virtually eveyr hit even if you are truly massively protected.[/quote']

I think Haven is more or less right; Lightning Reflexes would be the way to go, though of course it doesn't let you go first no matter what. :)

At 3 points for +2 DEX, only for going earlier in the phase, Lightning Reflexes is a bargain.

(I'm assuming you'd want the "with all actions" version, and not the "with a single action" version -- though cheaper it is, of course, much more limited and in my opinion not really worth it except in very specialized cases.)

(My comments are assuming you're using the write-up originally posted here.)

I'd disagree with the part I bolded above. Frequently acting last in a phase is a huge PLUS in HERO. Everyone's already used their actions, and can't abort to react to you. Especially if you're on a team, faster characters can frequently set up an opponent for you to hammer on. In our current fight for example, Hyde floating in mid-air would have been a perfect sucker target.

So I don't think the Dex itself is the problem. I think it's the second part - getting stunned on an average hit. Iron Girl's got good defenses - 38/38 (30/30resistant hardened) - but she's screwed if anything gets past that with a 14 CON and 30 STUN. Someone with a 3d6 Ego Attack could clobber her with a lucky roll. And a 15d6 normal attack that rolls even a hair above average (ie 53 vs. 52.5) will indeed stun her.

I do think Iron Girl could stand a couple of levels and perhaps some levels to offset range penalties for OCV purposes. But I think that the points you spend on Lightning Reflexes or higher DEX might be better spent making her more resilient to the damage that's tossed her way, though things like higher CON/STUN.

Compare current situation - villain attacks, you're stunned, then villain attacks again and you're out - to proposed change with higher dex - you attack, villain attacks, you're stunned, then villain attacks again and you're out. Is getting that one shot off that big of a difference if you can't guarantee you'll stun the villain?

But, Bill has said he tends to run Dex-heavy games, so a higher Dex certainly isn't out of the question. I just think it's not the big answer to IG's dilemma, at least not on its own.

IMO, etc.

Some good points raised here.

First let me repeat what I said in one of the Campaign Messages threads -- I will allow folks to revisit their character write-ups once they've seen what they can do. I often find that what looks good on paper sometimes doesn't really work in actual play, and I don't want anyone to feel straightjacketed into a writeup. I'll email you and we can take a look at Iron Girl together. :celebrate

(This applies to everyone, BTW, not just Iron Girl -- and if (heaven forbid!) anyone wants to make their character less efficient, that's perfectly cool by me, too). :)

Also, as SS said, teamwork is a wonderful thing. Dynasty just CON Stunned and KB'd Titanium Man, so the pressure is off Iron Girl for the moment. Hyde is being held more-or-less helpless by Cinnabar, and Skurge's kid just got flattened by Kol (and is currently sitting on top of a very peeved Porcupine). You've got some targets of opportunity there. :smoke:

I'll try to email you later today when I get a moment.

Well, reply to my PM. :P

Honestly, I'm slightly wondering if I should have put the force wall power in now. I don't mind spending my first action sheilding people, but it may be more then that... or at least, spend some of that saved xp to take concentration off it. It does free up some of the rest of the team, but I'd like to fight too... and keeping that up long means I cant. Or actually... I need a better Rec. Hmm... *takes more notes*

• 2 weeks later...

Can I still get into this game?

Kolbrandr's speach on the virtue of Vision's death made me stand up and scream Yes!

When I finally settled down I realized that I would very much like to be a part of such a game

- GoldenAge

The game is closed at the moment, but who knows what the future might hold? The Avengers are famous for their roster line-up changes. If any of my current players ever drop out, you can submit a Reservist for consideration.

And yeah, Kolbrandr's speech was awe-inspiring, wasn't it? :yes:

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my issues sorted out, and I see you guys did manage to keep the game going. Very good news.

I've been reading it, and it sounds like you guys are having some fun, so I'm glad I didn't end up wasting your time. Good luck with the game all, and keep it up, makes for a fun read.

Snake! Glad you're back, man. I hope I'm doing your game some small amount of justice. :o We are having fun (well, I shouldn't speak for everyone -- I'm having fun at least, and I haven't heard any complaints yet...)

I don't know what sort of trouble you had planned for us, but if you'd like to drop me a PM and share, I can try to make sure your evil plots get carried out... :eg:

Actually, would there be any interest in another game set in this "Next Generation" Universe? keyes_bill has the Avengers well in hand, and if he doesn't mind sharing a setting I could start up a different game.

The West Coast Avengers are an obvious choice of course, but there are other legacies in the Marvel Universe that could be continued. The X-men maybe, or the Fantastic 4, or even the Defenders. Of course it would depend on what people would want to play.

Any interest?

Thinking a bit more, I think a new Fantastic 4 would be kinda cool.

My current thought is, unlike the Avengers, the Fantastic 4 never left, they just retired and handed the jobs to their kids and such.Using the 'their origin is when they started' deal the avengers game is using, Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben started in the early 60's and sometimes in the early 80's they let their kids take over the important stuff. Now, another 20 years later, its the grandkids turn.

Of course the main theme of the F4 is family, and I think it would be neat if most everyone was still around. Grandpa Reed sits in his lab tinkering and doing crosswords (figuring them out was to easy, now he write them), Sue loves watching all the great grandkids and nieces and nephews, Ben bought his favorite bar and tends it while telling stories about the time he slugged it out with the Champion, stuff like that. The kids like Franklin (if we want to keep him, without the Godlike power of course) are now running the show, handling the business and technology side of things, but now its the kids turn to fight monsters and travel through time and all that fun stuff.

Of course, the game would be classic F4 stuff. Space travel, alternate dimensions, giant monsters, and the always fun family squabbling. Their would of course be 4 PC's, and while they needn't have the same powers (though I wouldn't mind if they did) as the originals, they should keep the same 'Earth, Air, Fire, Water' thing Kirby and Lee came up with.

Does that sound like a decent idea to anyone?

It does; but it totally screws with my elation that I might get to use Journeyman... :)

Do him as the kid of someone like Doom or the Wizard, and he collects old villain foci? :) A one-man Frightful Four (for good)? Paste gun, antigrav discs, cosmic control rod...:P

YES! DEFENDERS!!! I would love to be given the chance to come up with a Silver Surfer or Doctor Strange legacy... Can I play? (I've already been turned away from the first game by keyes_bill :P );)

Man, other than the main players (Doctor Strange, Sub-Mariner, Incredible Hulk, Silver Surfer, The Valkyrie, Nighthawk) there are some great characters from this team: Hellcat, Daimon Hellstrom - the Son of Satan, Red Guardian, Clea, Devil Slayer, Gargoyle, Beast, Over Mind, Angel, Iceman and MoonDragon.

They were heavy-hitters, for sure! What fun it would be to play thier legacies. :thumbup:

Thinking a bit more, I think a new Fantastic 4 would be kinda cool.

My current thought is, unlike the Avengers, the Fantastic 4 never left, they just retired and handed the jobs to their kids and such.Using the 'their origin is when they started' deal the avengers game is using, Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben started in the early 60's and sometimes in the early 80's they let their kids take over the important stuff. Now, another 20 years later, its the grandkids turn.

Of course the main theme of the F4 is family, and I think it would be neat if most everyone was still around. Grandpa Reed sits in his lab tinkering and doing crosswords (figuring them out was to easy, now he write them), Sue loves watching all the great grandkids and nieces and nephews, Ben bought his favorite bar and tends it while telling stories about the time he slugged it out with the Champion, stuff like that. The kids like Franklin (if we want to keep him, without the Godlike power of course) are now running the show, handling the business and technology side of things, but now its the kids turn to fight monsters and travel through time and all that fun stuff.

Of course, the game would be classic F4 stuff. Space travel, alternate dimensions, giant monsters, and the always fun family squabbling. Their would of course be 4 PC's, and while they needn't have the same powers (though I wouldn't mind if they did) as the originals, they should keep the same 'Earth, Air, Fire, Water' thing Kirby and Lee came up with.

Does that sound like a decent idea to anyone?

That'd be fun too, but the legacy characters seem a bit limited since there were only 4 originals (+ She Hulk and Johnny's spouce ? - Can the Thing actually procreate? Well, with Reed's help anything's possible)

...the kid of someone like Doom or the Wizard, and he collects old villain foci? A one-man Frightful Four (for good)? Paste gun, antigrav discs, cosmic control rod...

Oh, would we be able to make a legacies of F4 associates and villains? (Well, that's about everyone) :) Still fun!

That'd be fun too' date=' but the legacy characters seem a bit limited since there were only 4 originals (+ She Hulk and Johnny's spouce ? - Can the Thing actually procreate? Well, with Reed's help anything's possible)[/quote']

Plus Crystal, She-Thing/Ms. Marvel II, Thundra (mother of Journeyman?,) Luke Cage, Brute and a gazillion Inhumans. Am I missing anybody? How many times do you figure Johnny got married? Did Lyja have a kid with him (Flaming Skrull!) All sorts of possibilities.