Fair or Munchkin?

Blue

A hero buys three mental powers. The thing about mental powers is that they automatically come with a mental awareness sense.

The player buys the hero with two of the powers at a reduced rate, for the power not granting Mental Awareness. The third power he buys normally and thus gets the added sense.

Fair or Munchkin?

If he takes that limit, should he be forced to take it on all powers or none? Or is this just creative conservation of points?

Only argument I can come up with in favor of allowing this is that if that particular power were hit by a drain and reduced to 0, he'd lose that sense too and be blind (mentally). But tha'ts pretty rare.

Re: Fair or Munchkin?

Really, it should probably be just a "negative adder" or a small disad instead of a limitation. It doesn't really limit the guy with 200d6 Mind Control more than the guy with 2d6 Mind Control.

As a GM, it'd be all or none.

How many would allow a player to buy his Sight Flash Defense with a limit, "Right Eye only"?

Munchkin.

Either you have mental awareness, or you don't. You don't get to take a limitation for a power not giving you mental awareness, if you have mental awareness from some other source.

Moreover, the previous poster who said if the powers are psychic in origin, the character should have mental awareness anyway, is correct.

How many would allow a player to buy his Sight Flash Defense with a limit' date=' "Right Eye only"?[/quote']

I totally would. It's like wearing an eyepatch: if the character were subsequently hit with a sight-based Flash attack, they'd receive penalties akin to the "missing one eye" Disadvantage regardless of whether or not the Flash attack worked.

(N.B.: I agree with your larger point, I'm just being pedantic. :) )

The only way I can figure this WOULDN'T be a munchkin would be if it's part of a multipower, and therefore he can only use one of these at a time. Or, if they're enforced that the one power with Mental Awareness has to be on and using up END for the MA to work. But that seems kind of clunky, doesn't it?

Yeah, he's just trying to shave off points.

I totally would. It's like wearing an eyepatch: if the character were subsequently hit with a sight-based Flash attack, they'd receive penalties akin to the "missing one eye" Disadvantage regardless of whether or not the Flash attack worked.

Oh, and I agree with yours. Part of the issue is "does the GM want to bother with the extra situations and details that could arise?"

As to the Eye-Patch/Blindness thing, if you're actually spending points to call that "flash defense" then it's an 11- activation (A 50-50 of having the correct eye facing that way. Though 8- is more logical (Even if you're not directly looking at the flash source with your good eye, you'd still feel the effects).

If I were the GM, I would look the player in the eye and say, "You realize, someone is going to drain that one power, and you will lose mental awareness when it happens..."

If he flinches, it's out.

(Even if he doesn't flinch, it's out. I just want to see if he flinches...)

The limitation itself is munchkin. Mental Awareness costs what, 3 points? Why should NOT getting it save 12 points on a 60 AP power in the first place?

My solution: No power grants Mental Awareness. Buy it separately.

I'd say you just decide whether the power grants it or not. No points involved.

But the eyepatch, if opaque, is already flashing the one eye.

The limitation itself is munchkin. Mental Awareness costs what, 3 points? Why should NOT getting it save 12 points on a 60 AP power in the first place?

My solution: No power grants Mental Awareness. Buy it separately.

Pretty much ... a REAL munchkin would have put Does Not Provide Mental Awareness on ALL their mental powers and then bought the 3pt Sense as a stand alone...

like I said, he's not even a good munchkin.

Definitely munchkin. After all, one of the rules is: "a limitation which does not limit the character is not a limitation". Putting a limitation on something because it doesn't give you redundancy with something is not limiting. That would be like buying 3 clips for one gun and then putting a limit on the last two clips that they "cannot be used without a gun of the same caliber". You would never allow the second, yet the character is probably more likely to lose his gun than the first character is to have one of his mental powers completely turned off. Quite frankly, anyone capable of disabling a characters primary mental power is probably immune to the character's other mental powers. In other words, if somebody reaches into my mind and shuts down my Mind Control powers, he's probably not going to be affected by Mental Illusions regardless of whether I can mentally "find" him or not and can break up anything I might try to do to someone else rather easily.